2024 Open / Unknowns V3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like a downgrade on LS's schedule. Cathedral was pretty damn good those four years.
A small downgrade, yes, but still a quality opponent. I went to the Roncalli@Elder game in 2021 with a buddy of mine who wears his two Roncalli state title rings. It's the only time I root against Elder except for when they play La Salle.

That said, in 2021 Roncalli beat Elder 35-21. Roncalli went 10-0 in the regular season, Elder went 5-5 that year against a brutal schedule.
In 2022, Roncalli lost at home to Elder 24-23. It was Roncalli's only loss or the regular season, and Elder went 10-3 that year.

So, while not as tough as Cathedral, Roncalli will still pose a respectable challenge for our young men and I will ask my buddy if he wants to carpool up to Indy for that game.

Last edited:
A small downgrade, yes, but still a quality opponent. I went to the Roncalli@Elder game in 2021 with a buddy of mine who wears his two Roncalli state title rings. It's the only time I root against Elder except for when they play La Salle.

That said, in 2021 Roncalli beat Elder 35-21. Roncalli went 10-0 in the regular season, Elder went 5-5 that year against a brutal schedule.
In 2022, Roncalli lost at home to Elder 24-23. It was Roncalli's only loss or the regular season, and Elder went 10-3 that year.

So, while not as tough as Cathedral, Roncalli will still pose a respectable challenge for our young men and I will ask my buddy if he wants to carpool up to Indy for that game.
Yeah, that’s a good program. Wonder who they lined up for Week 9.

If I recall in the past when they had the showcase games between Ohio's best teams vs powerhouse teams from other states it was pretty much split 50/50. I feel Ohio is one of the top states for high school football and the top teams Massillon, Hoban, StEds, Moeller, Toledo Central Catholic etc, could go toe to toe most years with the top teams in California,Texas, Florida etc.
The problem with that event is that if you take the #1 team from all those states, they all aren't playing the number #1 team from Ohio. So to go .500 is pretty good.

Updates 4/7 - 4/13:

Week 1

St. Charles @ West Carrollton

Week 2
New Bremen @ Norton

Week 3
Cincinnati Wyoming @ Bethel-Tate

Week 4
Perry @ Cleveland Central Catholic

Week 8
Cleveland Collinwood @ Mogadore

Week 9
Harvest Prep @ Cincinnati LaSalle

Week 10
St. Frances Academy (MD) @ Cincinnati Moeller - Cancelled

Last edited:
The problem with that event is that if you take the #1 team from all those states, they all aren't playing the number #1 team from Ohio. So to go .500 is pretty good.
In 2008, 3/4 of Cincinnati St. Xavier's wins came against Prattville (AL), Indianapolis Cathedral (IN) & Don Bosco Prep (NJ). Those three programs combined for just 4 losses that year while X struggled to win games vs. Ohio teams.

Previously in 2007, a 7-4 Cincinnati Elder got a 41-34 overtime win over Charlotte Independence (NC), who came into the game with an 109-game winning streak. In fact, it's the 2nd longest win streak ever behind De La Salle's (CA) 151-game run from 1992-2003.

In 2008, 3/4 of Cincinnati St. Xavier's wins came against Prattville (AL), Indianapolis Cathedral (IN) & Don Bosco Prep (NJ). Those three programs combined for just 4 losses that year while X struggled to win games vs. Ohio teams.

Previously in 2007, a 7-4 Cincinnati Elder got a 41-34 overtime win over Charlotte Independence (NC), who came into the game with an 109-game winning streak. In fact, it's the 2nd longest win streak ever behind De La Salle's (CA) 151-game run from 1992-2003.
Trust me, I Know about the Independence game, I was there. It was a 4th and 15 and Kyle Rudolph picked up the 1st.

Week 3
Clearview @ McDonald
Rock Creek Christian Academy (MD) @ Lakewood St. Edward - Cancelled - RCCA closed

Week 6

Mount Vernon (IL) @ Akron Hoban

Week 7
Cincinnati LaSalle @ Indianapolis Roncalli (IN)

Week 8
Rock Creek Christian Academy (MD) @ Cincinnati Elder - Cancelled - RCCA closed

Any update on St. Ed's week 3 and Elder week 8 opponents?

Rudolph was a beast!

I've always had the ultimate respect for Elder. Haven't seen them play in person since 2002, but I watch them every chance I get.
I have been to all 2 of the Elder vs Harding games. They were all slobber knockers. I too wish they would meet up again. In 2000 I sat next to Harding fan sitting on the Elder side and he was a pleasure to talk to.

WEEK 8 (10/11/24)
CANFIELD
CINCINNATI ELDER
CLE. JOHN ADAMS
HOPEWELL-LOUDON
MASS. WASHINGTON
STEUBENVILLE

Elder already has 5 home games scheduled. An away game at Massillon is not out of the question, although not an ideal situation having St. Ed's, Lou. St. X, Cin. St. X, Moeller leading up to the game. I think Elder would have to pass on that opportunity.

Someone has to find a way for a Steubenville Canfield game to happen. Even if it is just this year. It is such a natural rivalry, 1 hour apart and makes sense for both schools.
Only way is if Steubenville agrees to play at Canfield and get a minimal amount of the gate, and even then Canfield already has a very strong schedule for D-IV, and would probably only be open to playing John Adams. Steubenville likely would only be open to a home and home or one year contract at Steubenville.
I think Canfield currently has more away games than home games.

Canfield ducked little ol south range last year, no shot they’ll play big red. Having a week 8 bye isn’t a bad thing tho for either school

Only way is if Steubenville agrees to play at Canfield and get a minimal amount of the gate, and even then Canfield already has a very strong schedule for D-IV, and would probably only be open to playing John Adams. Steubenville likely would only be open to a home and home or one year contract at Steubenville.
I do think Big Red would make the trip if offered. We played 4 away games last year im
Sure we’d go on the road to fill week 8.

Elder already has 5 home games scheduled. An away game at Massillon is not out of the question, although not an ideal situation having St. Ed's, Lou. St. X, Cin. St. X, Moeller leading up to the game. I think Elder would have to pass on that opportunity.

Ohio needs Massillon-Elder to happen!

Canfield should keep that week as a bye. It was big for them last year getting some guys rested as well as getting some players back healthy.

Canfield should keep that week as a bye. It was big for them last year getting some guys rested as well as getting some players back healthy.
Isn't John Adams equivalent to a Bye for all intents and purposes? They could probably play all the reserves and rest anyone who is banged up and still win no problem.

Isn't John Adams equivalent to a Bye for all intents and purposes? They could probably play all the reserves and rest anyone who is banged up and still win no problem.

John Adams just went 2-7 last year, which doesn't include two games that were cancelled. One of those cancellation was Collinwood, who they ended up beating in week 11.

As long as John Adams can win two games, that should be slightly better than taking a bye and letting the L2 divisor drop.

I suppose. I just think a bye week helps with teams that aren't deep. Certainly helped Canfield last year. Specifically along the offensive and defensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.