2024 GCL Season Discussion

Doublehelix

Not sure I see anything in the GCL this year to knock off the dominance Moeller has been showing in all sports the last couple of years. They're the favorite with St X probably being their biggest threat in the GCL in 2024. They obviously lose Marshall, but I think you're going to see BIG things from Ponatoski this year, but who will step up in the running game? Moeller is loaded at receiver with Love, Mason and Fogler. Athletes all over the field, and an improving defense last year.

What will St X do with their QB situation and with losing Coverdale? I expect to see a different offense this year with a new signal caller (just a prediction, no inside info - or maybe a platoon situation). St X does have college level athletes all over the field, so we're all waiting for them to put it together. Specht seems to have lost a speck of his magic the last couple of years, but we will see what he has up his sleeve to bring the Bombers back to being a powerhouse. Look for Vollmer to have a break-out season. If the Bombers can put it together, the X-Moe game should be a great one.

Elder is in an interesting spot with their QB situation. Sounds like a Sr and a So will be battling it out for the starting spot. My money is on the Sophomore as the Elder crowd is hanging high hopes on this kid. However, not sure he has the size for the bruising running QB that Ramsey likes. Maybe another situation where QBs split time, as I can't see a situation where Ramsey sits the SO the whole season, as you can tell he's being groomed for the starting role. I just don't think Elder has the horses or the athletes to make serious noise at the state level. They will be their normal disciplined and tough team, but will struggle against the state elites. While Elder's enrollment continues to grow, they have consistently missed on the top Catholic talent in the city, and it has shown in recent years, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

I think LaSalle has some potential this year. They've been a young squad but is it time for McLaughlin and co. to take the next step? They need to find a solid running game to help protect McL and his size is limiting in such a physical league, but I expect his passing numbers to improve. LaSalle's defense will probably be the key to their success, and I could see them knocking off Elder this year.

Last edited:

Not sure I see anything in the GCL this year to knock off the dominance Moeller has been showing in all sports the last couple of years. They're the favorite with St X probably being their biggest threat in the GCL in 2024. They obviously lose Marshall, but I think you're going to see BIG things from Ponatoski this year, but who will step up in the running game? Moeller is loaded at receiver with Love, Mason and Fogler. Athletes all over the field, and an improving defense last year.

What will St X do with their QB situation and with losing Coverdale? I expect to see a different offense this year with a new signal caller (just a prediction, no inside info). St X does have college level athletes all over the field, so we're all waiting for them to put it together. Specht seems to have lost a speck of his magic the last couple of years, but we will see what he has up his sleeve to bring the Bombers back to being a powerhouse. Look for Vollmer to have a break-out season. If the Bombers can put it together, the X-Moe game should be a great one.

Elder is in an interesting spot with their QB situation. Sounds like a Sr and a So will be battling it out for the starting spot. My money is on the Sophomore as the Elder crowd is hanging high hopes on this kid. I just don't think Elder has the horses or the athletes to make serious noise at the state level. They will be their normal disciplined and tough team, but will struggle against the state elites. While Elder's enrollment continues to grow, they have consistently missed on the top Catholic talent in the city, and it has shown in recent years.

I think LaSalle has some potential this year. They've been a young squad but is it time for McLaughlin and co. to take the next step? They need to find a solid running game to help protect McL and his size is limiting in such a physical league, but I expect his passing numbers to improve. LaSalle's defense will probably be the key to their success, and I could see them knocking off Elder this year.
Do you think they bench Herbstreit for Vollmer? I would be very suprised. I know Herbstreit struggled last year but that would be a shocker.

Do you think they bench Herbstreit for Vollmer? I would be very suprised. I know Herbstreit struggled last year but that would be a shocker.
Like I said, I have no inside info, but I do think that will happen. I don't think Cov left under bad circumstances, but I think his departure may foretell some other things, but again, just a guess.

If not a benching, perhaps inter-mixing both, but for sure many more touches for Vollmer. They have to make this kid their main weapon.

Like I said, I have no inside info, but I do think that will happen. I don't think Cov left under bad circumstances, but I think his departure may foretell some other things, but again, just a guess.

If not a benching, perhaps inter-mixing both, but for sure many more touches for Vollmer. They have to make this kid their main weapon.
I think Coverdale leaving is very telling of issues at St. X. His offenses simply were not up to par in his tenure at X, nothing like what you saw at Trinity. I think they were too complex, but worked in Trinity because the level of competition and coaching is not what it is up here. I expect a different offense, and I'd be shocked if Herbstreit doesn't start.

I think Coverdale leaving is very telling of issues at St. X. His offenses simply were not up to par in his tenure at X, nothing like what you saw at Trinity. I think they were too complex, but worked in Trinity because the level of competition and coaching is not what it is up here. I expect a different offense, and I'd be shocked if Herbstreit doesn't start.
Coverdale was the OC for the State Championship team in 2020. Don't think any other teams in the GCL have even been to a State Championship game since then. This was a not a Coverdale or Specht issue, it simply StX has not had the talent these last couple seasons. Truthfully since the State Championship team they have not had a WR that can take off the top of the defense or had a QB that was ready. I don't care what offense the team ran, they didn't have enough dudes on the offense.

Going into this season, StX defense is going to be very good. I think the offense is TBD.

Agree on Moeller, their offense is loaded.

Coverdale was the OC for the State Championship team in 2020. Don't think any other teams in the GCL have even been to a State Championship game since then. This was a not a Coverdale or Specht issue, it simply StX has not had the talent these last couple seasons. Truthfully since the State Championship team they have not had a WR that can take off the top of the defense or had a QB that was ready. I don't care what offense the team ran, they didn't have enough dudes on the offense.

Going into this season, StX defense is going to be very good. I think the offense is TBD.

Agree on Moeller, their offense is loaded.
Thanks for the info.

And i know Coverdale was the OC for the championship team in 2020.

In my limited observations (seeing only the state game in 2020 and 1 game this past year, and 2 games in 2022), the offense looked very different in 2020.

Thanks for the info.

And i know Coverdale was the OC for the championship team in 2020.

In my limited observations (seeing only the state game in 2020 and 1 game this past year, and 2 games in 2022), the offense looked very different in 2020.
That is because they had dudes all over the field. That team had multiple D1 athletes at every position on the field.