2023 HS Season

1. Patterson - 6'9ish playing D1 next year
2. Geselbracht - 6'6ish 1st team all state
3. Hagerty - 6'4ish OH that dominated the state finals last year

In terms of "Talent" Moeller's attacking talent is second to no one in the state. All Moeller needed to do was have just enough ball control to be able to consistently get those 3 in situations where they could get aggressive swings on the ball. Freshman Wong at libero played well enough against X to make that happen
Geselbrecht was NOT 1st team all-state. he made 2nd team.

but point taken. Moeller had talent and got healthy at the right time.

Ah, didn’t realize that. Very similar in D2 it seems. Bad look for both divisions as it assumes that all regions are created equally which couldn’t be further from the truth.
That's how it's always been done going back to the days of OHSBVA. The stronger regions usually end up with more players on 1st Team.

Does anyone know if OHSAA is going to carry over all of the "record" (state champs, runners-up, team participation in each season/tourney, POY, coach of year, etc..) OHSAA has all kinds of "records" for all of the other sports. I'd hate to see all of that information lost now that the OHSBVA sight is not up and running.

Does anyone know if OHSAA is going to carry over all of the "record" (state champs, runners-up, team participation in each season/tourney, POY, coach of year, etc..) OHSAA has all kinds of "records" for all of the other sports. I'd hate to see all of that information lost now that the OHSBVA sight is not up and running.
I’d imagine not since they’ve had access to that stuff all year and haven’t put it on the site. Feels like OHSAA is truly treating this like year one

I’d imagine not since they’ve had access to that stuff all year and haven’t put it on the site. Feels like OHSAA is truly treating this like year one
OHSAA did the same with lacrosse in 2017.
No records exist on OHSAA’s site for lacrosse, prior to the 2017 season.

However, Lacrosse Ohio is a newer website with some of the Ohio High School Lacrosse Association (OHSLA) info on their state tournaments, prior to OHSAA taking the reins.

Maybe it was mentioned, but does anyone know why the OHSBVA took their site down?

Liberty with an easy 3-0 win over Jerome. Excited for this next match to see how good Hudson really is and if Moe can keep their run going.

Moe played super sloppy, but Hudson is legit, takes the 1st set 25-15. Way too many unforced errors from Moe. Definitely wouldn’t get comfortable if I were Hudson; Moe’s made a habit out of tight wins the past 2 seasons.

The Division I bracket challenge has two contenders left, one who picked Liberty and the other Moeller (They are currently in 2nd and 4th place).
Everyone in the Division II bracket challenge picked DeSales to win, so the winner has already been decided.

I also think it's kinda cool to point out that none of the 21 brackets in Division I predicted the final 4 (Dublin Jerome busted a lot of those brackets), and none of the 8 brackets in Division II predicted the final 4 either (Independence being the bracket buster there). Plenty of surprises this postseason.

The Division I bracket challenge has two contenders left, one who picked Liberty and the other Moeller (They are currently in 2nd and 4th place).
Everyone in the Division II bracket challenge picked DeSales to win, so the winner has already been decided.

I also think it's kinda cool to point out that none of the 21 brackets in Division I predicted the final 4 (Dublin Jerome busted a lot of those brackets), and none of the 8 brackets in Division II predicted the final 4 either (Independence being the bracket buster there). Plenty of surprises this postseason.
There’s also just one bracket that correctly selected the finals matchup ;)

Congrats to the teams of Independence, Jerome, Hudson, and Liberty! Best teams in the state that actually reside in their respective zip codes.

Pretty sad to try and take credit away from teams. And as if any school cares enough about boys volleyball to recruit kids for it
👍Was going to add, I know of zero volleyball guys currently at Moe or St X that came from a public grade school system. So they are not “taking” the public’s players.

I do not know the Elder or La Salle guys as well, but willing to guess it’s 99% + Catholic School boys.

Catholic grade schools have done an outstanding job of getting boys interested to play the sport at a young age. Would love to see public schools do the same on that level.

👍Was going to add, I know of zero volleyball guys currently at Moe or St X that came from a public grade school system. So they are not “taking” the public’s players.

I do not know the Elder or La Salle guys as well, but willing to guess it’s 99% + Catholic School boys.

Catholic grade schools have done an outstanding job of getting boys interested to play the sport at a young age. Would love to see public schools do the same on that level.
Yup. Start very young, get them into it and they’ve been doing it for 20+ years at least. As far as Cincinnati goes, the only public schools I know of doing this are Lakota East, Walnut, Taylor and Oak Hills. Hopefully more coming statewide

Pretty sad to try and take credit away from teams. And as if any school cares enough about boys volleyball to recruit kids for it

I’m just recognizing the publics that don’t get as much love on this thread.

But just maybe the sad part is stacking the deck and taking away from the kids that don't/cant’t play by those same rules. An inkling of objectivity and appreciation for basic statistics would show the outsized success a few private institutions have when it comes to titles won and title appearances across numerous sports. Take a look at the last 20 years in football or soccer…seem like parity? At the core of it is player mobility to allow a collection of talent. Never used the word recruit, but sure have talked with plenty of parents who have been strongly “encouraged”.

OHSAA doesn’t seemed compelled to address, it so will be the same issue in 10 years.

I’m just recognizing the publics that don’t get as much love on this thread.

But just maybe the sad part is stacking the deck and taking away from the kids that don't/cant’t play by those same rules. An inkling of objectivity and appreciation for basic statistics would show the outsized success a few private institutions have when it comes to titles won and title appearances across numerous sports. Take a look at the last 20 years in football or soccer…seem like parity? At the core of it is player mobility to allow a collection of talent. Never used the word recruit, but sure have talked with plenty of parents who have been strongly “encouraged”.

OHSAA doesn’t seemed compelled to address, it so will be the same issue in 10 years.
We’re talking about boys volleyball, dude. No one is strongly encouraging kids to go to certain schools for boys volleyball. The kids at these private schools have been playing volleyball since they were in like 3rd grade. Public schools have hardly offered boys volleyball at youth levels. The only people stacking the deck against these public school kids as it relates to boys volleyball are those who haven’t offered it until now which is objectively stupid because almost all schools very likely already have the necessary equipment due to offering girls volleyball

All it takes is parent volunteers in grade schools to coach teams and garner an interest in boys volleyball. This is very well done by Catholic grade schools. Easy to complain about the success of other schools instead of making actual change in your own "zip code".

For what it’s worth, Mount Vernon does have a middle school program and also a Catholic middle school in the district that plays the Columbus schools. It’s been a big reason why they’ve consistently been in that tier of teams just under the elite ones for the past decade+ despite being way smaller than most of them (they have just around 1000 total students and have fluctuated between D1 and D2).

The other part is just having club players. Being close enough and having the resources to play club gives a team a massive advantage.

I kinda get what Stretch is saying, because private schools do get to skirt a lot of boundaries when it comes to where kids come from. I knew people who attended schools like St. X that would normally have been way outside the typical boundaries (and in the system from an early age, so it’s not entirely fair to judge it purely on whether the players were once from a public school when they were always in the Catholic school system). And I get the frustration. When I played, postseason was always a gauntlet of 100% Catholic schools starting from the second round all the way up to states.

However, I have little sympathy for the giga-districts of public schools like Olentangy, Hilliard, Lakota, etc when they have plenty of access to club systems, enormous student populations, and incredible facilities that close the gap considerably between them and GCL schools compared to the smaller ones in D1.

If there were schools I might complain about it would be St. X, St. Ignatius, and St. Ed’s, mainly because you can look at their competitive balance numbers on OHSAA and see that they’re so far beyond everyone else it’s rather comical, but in the scope of Boys Vball, it clearly isn’t much of an influence (yet). People still need to understand that a lot of Catholic schools for some reason have always really liked playing volleyball from as young as 4th grade.

On a lighter note, congrats TheDude for winning the D1 bracket challenge with 50/63 correct picks and a total score of 160! Surprisingly, their bracket had one of the lower scores pre-states among the top placements, but the near-perfect final 4 + finals + champion prediction pulled them ahead!

The D2 bracket challenge was won by the bracket titled Simple, with 24/31 correct picks and a total score of 64, inching out the competition by a single point!

On a lighter note, congrats TheDude for winning the D1 bracket challenge with 50/63 correct picks and a total score of 160! Surprisingly, their bracket had one of the lower scores pre-states among the top placements, but the near-perfect final 4 + finals + champion prediction pulled them ahead!

The D2 bracket challenge was won by the bracket titled Simple, with 24/31 correct picks and a total score of 64, inching out the competition by a single point!
hd anything GIF

We’re talking about boys volleyball, dude. No one is strongly encouraging kids to go to certain schools for boys volleyball. The kids at these private schools have been playing volleyball since they were in like 3rd grade. Public schools have hardly offered boys volleyball at youth levels. The only people stacking the deck against these public school kids as it relates to boys volleyball are those who haven’t offered it until now which is objectively stupid because almost all schools very likely already have the necessary equipment due to offering girls volleyball
Fair point and well understood that the CYO development impact has within boys VB. Probably the only sport that holds true. That is only a partial answer to the success though.

For a moment let’s use your and VBFAN24’s logic to look at soccer. There are youth development programs across the state in almost every community. In fact I ran one, so the answer is, yes, there are…even at ridiculously early ages. Yet magically, when it comes to high school, Iggy has won 7 of the last 10 State titles. Really? Still not willing to admit that is fishy? If not, that borders on willful ignorance and content to be on the winning side. So yeah, to be direct, there is a level of tainted titles when it comes to catholic schools. Like I said, OHSAA has averted their gaze for years, so not to worry teams like Moeller can continue to rack up titles.

Furthermore plenty of parents that their high performing athletic kids were ”encouraged“ to come play at a catholic school across various sports. Even if a coach didn’t encourage a kid and it was a kids choice, the private schools reap the benefit of collecting players across a region. And yes, even in boys VB this season. Let’s just be honest here about the illusion of parity in high school sports. Just go talk with a few public school ADs.

Still not sure why a few are triggered by a comment celebrating the accomplishments of the public side who don‘t have the opportunity to play with the same rules the private schools.

Fair point and well understood that the CYO development impact has within boys VB. Probably the only sport that holds true. That is only a partial answer to the success though.

For a moment let’s use your and VBFAN24’s logic to look at soccer. There are youth development programs across the state in almost every community. In fact I ran one, so the answer is, yes, there are…even at ridiculously early ages. Yet magically, when it comes to high school, Iggy has won 7 of the last 10 State titles. Really? Still not willing to admit that is fishy? If not, that borders on willful ignorance and content to be on the winning side. So yeah, to be direct, there is a level of tainted titles when it comes to catholic schools. Like I said, OHSAA has averted their gaze for years, so not to worry teams like Moeller can continue to rack up titles.

Furthermore plenty of parents that their high performing athletic kids were ”encouraged“ to come play at a catholic school across various sports. Even if a coach didn’t encourage a kid and it was a kids choice, the private schools reap the benefit of collecting players across a region. And yes, even in boys VB this season. Let’s just be honest here about the illusion of parity in high school sports. Just go talk with a few public school ADs.

Still not sure why a few are triggered by a comment celebrating the accomplishments of the public side who don‘t have the opportunity to play with the same rules the private schools.
To be short about it: because you’re letting the actions of adults taint the accomplishments of kids. And I have zero connections or allegiance to Moeller. In fact, I root for parity and chaos every year. I want to see other schools, including public schools, get theirs. Unfortunately for them, when it comes strictly to volleyball, Elder, X and Moe have had established programs since the 90s; not very many other schools can say that.

Tainted titles?

Liberty def Moe 3-1 earlier this year.
Then, they were up 2-0 in the state final, and 16-8 in set 4 to clinch a title. They had a chance to win it but it didn’t happen.

You created a screen name/first post here just hours after Liberty lost to Moe. You are not here to celebrate anything, but rather to complain.

Last edited: