2023 GCYL League Discussion

The league has put rules in place in the past. St Mike got their reputation early. Specifically, there was a kid who went to public school through the 7th grade and played football locally. He then went to st Mike’s repeated the 7th grade and played for the Golden Bears 7th and 8th grade. The league changed the rules that you can only play 2 yrs of 7th and 8th grade no matter where it is and you cannot turn 15 in the year you are playing 8th grade. If a kid turns 15 Jan. 1 their 8th grade yr hey are not too old, this matches the age requirement if high school. 5 yrs ago st Suzanna had a couple kids play as 7th graders, not play it he 1st time they were in 8th grade but come back and play when they repeated the 8th grade. The league did not allow this. The league has also tried to limit recruiting public school kids and made it a requirement to attend CCD classes if you do not attend the school, but it’s up to the school to police, don’t believe this rule is applied equally. I do have 1 Question about the SMOY team. Not sure about all the new kids on their team this yr, but I know their QB went to Mason middle school in the past. I believe that would mean he should be going to St. Suzanna. Not sure how they got around that rule, but I’m sure they have figured that out.

Both schools have had transfer kids from Lebanon, Loveland, Mason and Kings.
Are these kids enrolling? Is it to get a boost in future enrollment chance to Moeller or another archdiocese school? Its something I guessed may happen due to Moeller being close to or at capacity.

do have 1 Question about the SMOY team. Not sure about all the new kids on their team this yr, but I know their QB went to Mason middle school in the past.
Depending where you live in Mason, SMOY could be an easier drive. One other thing to think about, there have been kids at the Catholic grade schools who have continued to play for their city or town teams through 6th grade. Probably not a great number, but it does happen.

Depending where you live in Mason, SMOY could be an easier drive. One other thing to think about, there have been kids at the Catholic grade schools who have continued to play for their city or town teams through 6th grade. Probably not a great number, but it does happen.
If you are going to a Catholic grade school you can live wherever you want. We lived in Clermont Co. the closest grade schools are St. Veronica and St Thomas More. We chose to send our kids to IHM because that’s where we attended Mass. All three of my kids 2 girls, 1 boy are/were very good athletes. I don’t know if that’s what they are doing in Lebanon, Mason, Kings in attending SMOY or not but it’s certainly not against the rules. We have a neighbor now whose kids go to St Gertrude in Madeira..probably a 30-35 minute drive.

Are these kids enrolling? Is it to get a boost in future enrollment chance to Moeller or another archdiocese school? Its something I guessed may happen due to Moeller being close to or at capacity.
Who knows? Last year QB from Lebanon to SMOY went to Elder right?

Wondering about the truth to this... 2 of 11 SMOY varsity starters were on the team last year. If I'm a parent of a kid (or the kid himself) who grew up in that program? Not happy.

Dang, had some deleted posts here. Anyway, it's been a great year in the GCYL, should be some really fun games this weekend - I'll have the chance to watch three. Excited to see a lot of these kids start their HS careers next year.

If you are going to a Catholic grade school you can live wherever you want. We lived in Clermont Co. the closest grade schools are St. Veronica and St Thomas More. We chose to send our kids to IHM because that’s where we attended Mass. All three of my kids 2 girls, 1 boy are/were very good athletes. I don’t know if that’s what they are doing in Lebanon, Mason, Kings in attending SMOY or not but it’s certainly not against the rules. We have a neighbor now whose kids go to St Gertrude in Madeira..probably a 30-35 minute drive.
I applaud you, you made a decision to send your kids to the school you attend mass, and they went to school there all 8 or nine yrs I’m assuming. Here is my question. Your kids go to GA for 7 yrs. You don’t like something about GA youth sports and send you kid to IHM for 8th grade because the football team is better. That would be an issue, but if it’s Mason and SMOY that’s fine.

I applaud you, you made a decision to send your kids to the school you attend mass, and they went to school there all 8 or nine yrs I’m assuming. Here is my question. Your kids go to GA for 7 yrs. You don’t like something about GA youth sports and send you kid to IHM for 8th grade because the football team is better. That would be an issue, but if it’s Mason and SMOY that’s fine.
Ok I understand what you’re saying. I wouldn’t move my kids for grade school football, girls basketball under any circumstances.

Here are the D1 Finals
Pony - Victory vs Guardian Angels
Reserve - Jude vs Visi
Varsity - SMOY vs Cov Cath
Are there any future Elder kids playing in the Varsity final? Is there a Queen kid on the Cov Cath team?

I know the reserve game is loaded with future panthers, but was curious about the Varsity game.

It’s definitely happened at Mike’s. They’ve been called out on it (but of course nothing done) several times over the years.
Mikes has been a model program over the last 4-5 years and the coaches are well liked from what I hear. I do think they added another parish a few years back near middletown or south of that area that brought in some new players.

Dang, had some deleted posts here. Anyway, it's been a great year in the GCYL, should be some really fun games this weekend - I'll have the chance to watch three. Excited to see a lot of these kids start their HS careers next year.
Yep

Just checked out the schedule at EHS for Saturday: Great to have some westside teams at the PIT
Sacred Heart vs QofP 10:30 (all hamilton, oh final)
Visi vs Jude Reserve 12:00
Victory vs GA Pony 1:30
Victory vs GA Varsity 3:00

Ant vs Ignatius at St. X 1:30

Just checked out the schedule at EHS for Saturday: Great to have some westside teams at the PIT
Sacred Heart vs QofP 10:30 (all hamilton, oh final)
Visi vs Jude Reserve 12:00
Victory vs GA Pony 1:30
Victory vs GA Varsity 3:00

Ant vs Ignatius at St. X 1:30
Go Volunteers reserve! Hoping for a three-peat for our sixth-graders from St. Al's, St. Catharine, St. Martin, Lourdes and St. Jude.

Visi beat Jude. 16-6 I think
Yep. 16-6. Never in a million years did I think there was a chance that would happen.

And it’s not Jude. There are plenty of kids from the four other schools who contribute a lot. Sorry, probably a little too sensitive to that.

Last edited:
Yep. 16-6. Never in a million years did I think there was a chance that would happen.

And it’s not Jude. There are plenty of kids from the four other schools who contribute a lot. Sorry, probably a little too sensitive to that.
Well it happened and honestly would never count those guys out if they have a fighting chance to come up with a good plan.

Well it happened and honestly would never count those guys out if they have a fighting chance to come up with a good plan.
This is a genuine question. Did the big kid who quite obviously made the Visi offense go play in the last game these two played? That lad looked like an eighth-grader rolling over reserve players.