2023-24 Ohio State Basketball

cjb5656

It's a new season. Will it be the last for Holtmann at OSU, or can he turn in a good enough season to take the Buckeye fans minds off of football for at least a little bit this winter?

I was just about to start a new thread for this season. It's Sweet 16 or bust for Holtmann, should be fired if he can't achieve that. This years team has 6 top 100 composite players on the roster and this isn't including former honorable mention Big Ten player Jamison Battle. A lot more length and playmaking on this seasons team. Actually have some height with 3 players on the roster over 6'9 and 3 others around 6'8.

Player I'm looking closest at is Roddy Gayle who exploded in the BTT last season. IMO he's the most talented player on the team.

I was just about to start a new thread for this season. It's Sweet 16 or bust for Holtmann, should be fired if he can't achieve that. This years team has 6 top 100 composite players on the roster and this isn't including former honorable mention Big Ten player Jamison Battle. A lot more length and playmaking on this seasons team. Actually have some height with 3 players on the roster over 6'9 and 3 others around 6'8.

Player I'm looking closest at is Roddy Gayle who exploded in the BTT last season. IMO he's the most talented player on the team.
I’m excited to see Thornton and Gayle both make quantum leaps this season.

Highest ranked incoming freshman Taison Chatman needs a minor surgery. Will be out the first month or two. Not a huge deal but he misses out on some big development time. Luckily since he is a combo guard, they should be good decent hands between Thornton, Gayle and Bonner until he returns.

Highest ranked incoming freshman Taison Chatman needs a minor surgery. Will be out the first month or two. Not a huge deal but he misses out on some big development time. Luckily since he is a combo guard, they should be good decent hands between Thornton, Gayle and Bonner until he returns.
so-it-begins.gif

News we did not need. Would love to see this team have a totally healthy season. Just once...

Won 78-70 at UD in front of what I imagine was mostly if not fully packed house for a charity scrimmage.

Had a closed doors scrimmage with Clemson this weekend that they allegedly lost by 20 with only 7 players active. The real question here would be what 7 played, as well as why were only 7 guys available? I believe they had 11 play against UD. Just about everywhere I've seen has Clemson 4th or 5th in the ACC going into the season, so this could have been a good early measuring stick opportunity.

Won 78-70 at UD in front of what I imagine was mostly if not fully packed house for a charity scrimmage.

Had a closed doors scrimmage with Clemson this weekend that they allegedly lost by 20 with only 7 players active. The real question here would be what 7 played, as well as why were only 7 guys available? I believe they had 11 play against UD. Just about everywhere I've seen has Clemson 4th or 5th in the ACC going into the season, so this could have been a good early measuring stick opportunity.
We’ll find out a lot more about this team when TAMU comes to CBus very soon.

We’ll find out a lot more about this team when TAMU comes to CBus very soon.
Will we? They have finished the year ranked just twice in the last 13 years. They had a couple nice tourney runs under Billy Kennedy but Buzz Williams has been a massive disappointment and not done much. They had a nice run in conference last year but sandwiched that run between a OOC schedule with losses to the likes of Wofford, Colorado and Murray State and an upset in the first round of the tourney to Penn State team that finished 9th in the Big 10. They return a lot but I’m not sure if that’s good or bad for them based on how up and down their season was.

The Buckeyes survive a tough opener against Oakland and are 1-0. Gayle and Key with the big games. Thornton had a lot of points, but he missed a ton of shots.

Ohio State escaped Oakland in this one.
28% from the three points line for the Buckeyes (7-25)
46.2% from the field (24-52)
The Buckeyes had 17 points
Zed Key (Off of the bench)
BruceThornton (3-11 from the field)
RoddyGayle Jr.

Oakland hit 40% from three (14-35)
Jack Gohlke 18 points (6-18 from three)
Trey Townsend 17 points 9 boards

Defense is just abysmal. I can tell they don't play fundamental defense and get in low stances or slide their feet, has been this way the last few seasons under Holtmann. Don’t box out at all either which leads to too many easy put backs.

Evan Mahaffey and Dale Bonner are both scrubs and bad pickups. Not sure why they were even obtained as neither did much of anything on their previous teams. Middleton needs to start over Mahaffey and Taison Chatman needs to take Dale Bonners minutes when he’s healthy.

It's not too early to fire Holtmann in this season, should have been fired last season.

Defense is just abysmal. I can tell they don't play fundamental defense and get in low stances or slide their feet, has been this way the last few seasons under Holtmann. Don’t box out at all either which leads to too many easy put backs.

Evan Mahaffey and Dale Bonner are both scrubs and bad pickups. Not sure why they were even obtained as neither did much of anything on their previous teams. Middleton needs to start over Mahaffey and Taison Chatman needs to take Dale Bonners minutes when he’s healthy.

It's not too early to fire Holtmann in this season, should have been fired last season.
Obviously many OSU fans have been frustrated with Holtmann for quite a while now, as it seems the program has gotten stale. To call for his firing after one game is crazy. There might be plenty of reasons to do it at the end of the season, but let the season play out first.

1 game. Season is over. Turn in the uniforms

Obviously many OSU fans have been frustrated with Holtmann for quite a while now, as it seems the program has gotten stale. To call for his firing after one game is crazy. There might be plenty of reasons to do it at the end of the season, but let the season play out first.
This isn't after one game, this is after 6 seasons of failure and 1 game.

Excluding last year, which was awful, what exactly do you consider a failure? Not winning the league? Not making it to the sweet 16?
Not one league title or sweet 16s in his entire tenure so far. Not asking that they need both every season but both have needed to already happen by now.

The only thing we’re missing was Brian’s in game posting. Otherwise thread is going about how I expected it too lol
Yeah, don’t worry. Brian will find this thread - haha. Spartacus is wrong about firing Holtmann today, of course, but he’s not really wrong about Holtmann not chalking up a league title, a league tourney title, or a sweet 16 appearance by now. That’s not asking for the moon and stars for him to have achieved just one of those things by now. If he fails again this year, can Holtmann and give me Dennis Gates.

At least they didn't start the season off by losing a buy game like Sparty and Rutgers did.
There is a very good chance James Madison will win their league and make the tourney, but no way Michigan State should have lost at home to them.

Princeton is a legit tourney team and they and Rutgers have a heated rivalry for decades, so I can easily excuse Rutgers for that loss. That’s a tough opener to schedule.

Oakland typically contends strongly for their league every year, so they weren’t the easiest patsy opener OSU could’ve picked, but I expected a better showing by the Buckeyes. They have to step it way up against TAMU on Friday.

Yeah, I'm a fan of Holtmann the man, and I know he is a good coach, but the lack of results is inarguable. I have no idea yet how good (or not good) this roster is, but with highly ranked recruiting classes it is time to win something. I'd be happy with a top 4 B1G finish and/or making the Sweet 16; that would be a great step up from last year.

But no one in their right mind allows a coach to go through the off season and then fires them after one game.

This team is just horribly coached. A&M is a better team but it isn't because of talent. OSU is also laterally slow with players like Mahaffey and Battle taking up large minutes.

Good God that was beyond pathetic. I am absolutely sick and tired of this trash we see rolled out on the floor year after year. Trust me Texas A&M is NOT THAT GOOD. Team comprised with mostly 3 star players it's just Holtmann is a god awful coach and needs FIRED. Problem is Gene Smith is one of the worst ADs in the country and is solely responsible for this trash and won't do a damn thing.

FIRE HOLTMANN!!!!!

OSU Basketball:
Lack of rebounding and lack of production from a big man.
Yes. Killed on the boards and Gayle laid an egg. I really don’t want my PG to take 20 shots, but somebody has to score and it didn’t seem like anyone other than Thornton was up to it tonight. I have to agree with Spartacus regarding Holtmann and the transfer portal. He stinks at it and brings in a lot of marginal players.

The plus side is they were in it for most of the game against a tourney team. The bad news is it was at home and they still lost. All in all, they will get more from these types of games on the schedule than they will out of playing Oakland and Merrimack.

My first look at the Buckeye hoops team this year. A&M is certainly physical and defends well, but the lack of shooters is concerning, and the defensive board work was not good. We have plenty of athletes (over 10 blocks!) but not a lot of scorers it seems. Maybe an off night? Time will tell. That little #4 for A&M was terrific. First team all SEC for sure.