2021-2022 General Discussion

And once again, this tournament proves experience trumps raw talent in March. The ‘12 UK team was an anomaly, you need leadership to win it all.
I'm not sure that was much of an anomaly at the time. Things have changed significantly in the last few things IMO with the rise of the graduate transfer and the bonus COVID year.

The one and done thing worked fairly well, but it ran into a wall when some teams got significantly older with players that would have been G-League or overseas pros 5-10 years ago.

No matter how bad the team actually is, Basketball is always going to be top dog at IU. Also, Knight was his own worst enemy and the program was struggling towards the end of his tenure anyway.
Top dog, mediocre at best. They’re are a basketball program of the distant passed.

Great win for Kansas! A massive comeback! Bill Self always seems to be overlooked when the talk of great coaches comes up. People tend to focus more on the few times his KU teams got upset early in the tourney rather than the sustained level of excellence of the program. I think the second natty will greatly enhance Self’s stature, much like Jay Wright with Villanova.

Killer game. Glad I stayed up for it, only slightly regretting it now. I’m sure once I have to get a third, fourth, fifth, etc coffee of the day I’ll regret it more. Don’t blame anyone for skipping it though.

I thought Matta had serious back issues, not made up bs like Urban.
I think both of their health issuse were real. Urban nearly passed out on the sideline at Ohio State and had several related issues. Matta could hardly move. I just wonder at what point do schools no hire these guys due to previous health issues. I mean do you really want them to bite the dust on your watch? Coaching is such a weird thing, I mean there are hundreds and hundreds of young guys wanting that first big break and we keep getting recycled old guys who never go away. Jim Larranaga is 77 years old coaching at Miami of Florida? Coach K, looks old and feeble. Is that what you want your program to look like?

No matter how bad the team actually is, Basketball is always going to be top dog at IU. Also, Knight was his own worst enemy and the program was struggling towards the end of his tenure anyway.
Knight's time at IU was great, and yep the game was changing and it became less coaching. We've had alot of talk the last week about great coaching with Coach K retiring. I'll say coaching today is much easier than it's ever been. You see back before the shot clock and 3 point line, coaching was more important because you could "control" the game. The shot clock forces more possessions. A 10 point lead with 5 minutes to go, back in the 70-80's, the game was over. No 3 point line, you held the ball and made FT's and closed the games out. Today, you work for 38 minutes to build up a lead and it can go away in a few minutes if a team gets hot from 3.

Also, Knight had a lock on in state talent in Indiana. He rarely needed to even go outside of Indiana, Illinois, Ohio for players. If you were an all state player in Indiana, Bobby sent invitations, not recruiting. I'd say the players changed more than Knight. But from the early 70's to early 90's there was not a better basketball program than Indiana.

Killer game. Glad I stayed up for it, only slightly regretting it now. I’m sure once I have to get a third, fourth, fifth, etc coffee of the day I’ll regret it more. Don’t blame anyone for skipping it though.
The game was over by 11:30? Good heavens most people stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve. It was a great game. And in the eastern time zone we have to recognize that there is 3 other time zones in America. The game would have ended at 10:30 in the central time zone, 9:30 in the mountain and 8:30 in the west. If you live in Nevada/ Arizona, the game would had started just after 6? Just like alot of things, the networks are going to aim for the middle.

Just a few things about the game. Kansas look shook in the first half, playing way too fast, throwing up shots, missing layups, etc. Meanwhild, NC got it going and were making all kinds of shots. Anyone that watched the game and follows the flow of basketball had to know that Kansas couldn't play that poorly in the 2nd half and NC was going to start missing. Actually, considering NC's top 3 shooters, Davis/ Love and Bacot shot a combined 13-53!!!! How in the world were they even able to keep it that close?? It was good to see some veteran college players out there, I don't know that anyone on the floor last night will have any kind of an NBA career. But just a lot of good players who got to play on the big stage.

Sidenote, NC's Manek got blasted in the first half and I was stunned that there was little regard for him from North Carolina, the announces were more concerned that it was going to be called a flagrant or not. The kid was on the floor for more than a minute, took a full blown man's elbow to the head and I don't know that the trainer even looked at him. I'd guess taking the break to review the play was the only reason he stayed in the game. He looked stunned on the play . With all the concerns in recent years on concussions, just odd to me.

The game was over by 11:30? Good heavens most people stay up until midnight on New Year's Eve. It was a great game. And in the eastern time zone we have to recognize that there is 3 other time zones in America. The game would have ended at 10:30 in the central time zone, 9:30 in the mountain and 8:30 in the west. If you live in Nevada/ Arizona, the game would had started just after 6? Just like alot of things, the networks are going to aim for the middle.
Most people don’t work the next morning on New Years Day, bozo. They typically sleep in.

Just a few things about the game. Kansas look shook in the first half, playing way too fast, throwing up shots, missing layups, etc. Meanwhild, NC got it going and were making all kinds of shots. Anyone that watched the game and follows the flow of basketball had to know that Kansas couldn't play that poorly in the 2nd half and NC was going to start missing. Actually, considering NC's top 3 shooters, Davis/ Love and Bacot shot a combined 13-53!!!! How in the world were they even able to keep it that close?? It was good to see some veteran college players out there, I don't know that anyone on the floor last night will have any kind of an NBA career. But just a lot of good players who got to play on the big stage.

Sidenote, NC's Manek got blasted in the first half and I was stunned that there was little regard for him from North Carolina, the announces were more concerned that it was going to be called a flagrant or not. The kid was on the floor for more than a minute, took a full blown man's elbow to the head and I don't know that the trainer even looked at him. I'd guess taking the break to review the play was the only reason he stayed in the game. He looked stunned on the play . With all the concerns in recent years on concussions, just odd to me.
I’d really like to study the Title game outcomes based on the competitiveness of the FF games preceding them. I know these are 18-23ish yr olds, but when one team has a relatively easy FF game and the other has a dog fight, the team that played in the competitive game always seems to either start sluggish or wear out in the 2nd half.

I’d really like to study the Title game outcomes based on the competitiveness of the FF games preceding them. I know these are 18-23ish yr olds, but when one team has a relatively easy FF game and the other has a dog fight, the team that played in the competitive game always seems to either start sluggish or wear out in the 2nd half.
But don't we see this all season?? Heck most of these teams come off conference tournaments where they play every day. Basketball has come down to guys making shots, and mostly 3 point shots. Last night, NC shot 31.5% from the field, Kansas 44%.
I really feel college basketball needs to crack down on the physical play. McCormack had probably 10-12 fouls that could have been called. Inside play is brutal. They just let guys pound each other all game, a shooter on the wing gets their hand tipped on a shot and it's a foul. I think last night's game was very sloppy because there was just too much banging going on. I get it, officials don't want to be part of the game, but when you don't call anything, guess what, officials are part of the game in a different way.

Off to Georgia St. One step away.
Very good recent history with the last two coaches leaving to take over programs in the AAC. Georgia State has become a great stepping stone job. He'll win and pad his resume. The only decision he'll have to make is whether in 3-4 years he wants to step up to the AAC or a lower-tier major conference job, or camp out at Georgia State until UGA opens up again. I lean towards thinking he waits it out.

Very good recent history with the last two coaches leaving to take over programs in the AAC. Georgia State has become a great stepping stone job. He'll win and pad his resume. The only decision he'll have to make is whether in 3-4 years he wants to step up to the AAC or a lower-tier major conference job, or camp out at Georgia State until UGA opens up again. I lean towards thinking he waits it out.

One of the stories mentioned he had a twin. Wonder what he's doing? Be funny if they coached against each other.

One of the stories mentioned he had a twin. Wonder what he's doing? Be funny if they coached against each other.
The twin was actually on staff as an assistant at Georgia State the last few years. I saw this afternoon that the new head coach apparently didn't feel like making the holidays awkward and decided to retain him lol.

The twin was actually on staff as an assistant at Georgia State the last few years. I saw this afternoon that the new head coach apparently didn't feel like making the holidays awkward and decided to retain him lol.

I hope they're closely identical. Gives the coach a few extra technicals.

Indiana got a HUGE sign yesterday in 5 star Malik Reneau. That catapulted the Hoosiers into the top recruiting class in the big ten, and #5 overall. Trayce Jackson-Davis has not decided if he's returning or not, if he would come back this team could be very special next year.

Vander Plas to Virginia... Not a surprise...

Beyond the family connection, I think he's a perfect fit for their style. He's a true stretch four with 3-point ability and the ball-handling skills to drive the basket.

One of the best (and arguably the best) active coaches walking away at age 60 in an age where the high end guys increasingly seem to be coaching into old age.
Agreed, he is very near the top of current coaches. Hopefully no health issue or serious family issue that he is keeping quiet. He may be 60 but looks 50. Assuming he is healthy, I would be shocked if he doesn't end up coaching again in the near future.

Laughing hysterically at the s*it show going on in Coral Gables. Alex Ruiz and LifeWallet (Miamis NIL) has been loudly promoting each NIL deal, including the one about Nijel Pack getting $800k and a car. Well now Isaiah Wong, Miami’s leading scorer 2 years ago and 2nd leading scorer on last years Elite 8 team is demanding a bigger NIL package or he’s transferring. Hope this blows up in Miami’s, Ruiz’s and LifeWallet’s faces. Just as bad as Tenn and TAM.

Laughing hysterically at the s*it show going on in Coral Gables. Alex Ruiz and LifeWallet (Miamis NIL) has been loudly promoting each NIL deal, including the one about Nijel Pack getting $800k and a car. Well now Isaiah Wong, Miami’s leading scorer 2 years ago and 2nd leading scorer on last years Elite 8 team is demanding a bigger NIL package or he’s transferring. Hope this blows up in Miami’s, Ruiz’s and LifeWallet’s faces. Just as bad as Tenn and TAM.
It isn't even NIL in this context. This is literally pay-for-play. Lol.

It isn't even NIL in this context. This is literally pay-for-play. Lol.
The NCAA did this to themselves. If they’d allowed NIL to happen years ago with some rules, there wouldn’t be the massive cluster f going on now.

Pretty excited for Indiana basketball this season. Star junior Trayce Jackson-Davis has decided to return. Race Thompson, Xavier Johnson, Miller Kopp, Temar Bates, Trey Galloway and Anthony Leal return, along with much heralded freshmen CJ Gunn, Jalen Hood-Shefino and Malik Reneau has Hoosier fans clamoring for the old days when we competed nationally.
I would have never guessed Jackson-Davis would be in Bloomington for 4 years, but I'm happy. He's a true back to the basket post player who's been the focal point at IU since day 1. Barring injury,he should be able to up some lofty career stats.
Now, you never know how freshmen will react to the college game but Hood-Shefino and Reneau could see big minutes as freshmen. The big issue going back to the Archie days is lack of consistent shooting. They really need a couple guys to become great shooters.

Dang, former Purdue standout Caleb Swanigan passed away at age 25. Just read some info about him, brought up in some very rough conditions, actually was adopted by former Purdue player Roosevelt Barnes, who's a successful sports agent and he played high school ball in Ft. Wayne before going to Purdue. Was named Mr. Basketball in Indiana his senior year.
He went on to Purdue to have two outstanding seasons and being drafted in the first round by the Portland Trailblazers in 2017. Unfortunately he never could make a major contribution in the NBA, playing only 75 games over 5 seasons with 3 teams. He was kind of an old school back to the basket type player without a reliable jump shot.

Recall seeing something last year where during a court appearance it appeared he had gained a substantial amount of weight in just the year or so he'd been out of the league...I think weight control, overeating, etc. was a lifelong struggle due to a combination of heredity and having a rough and unstable upbringing. His father died in part to diabetic complications and at one point weighed nearly 500 pounds. If this is verified as "natural" I think he probably also unfortunately passed on due to severe weight related complications.