4. Sycamore 55

5. Oak Hills 48

6. Mason 45

7. Lakota West 42

8. Lakota East 39

9. Fairfield (1) 34

10. Princeton (1) 32

First-place votes in parenthesis
http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/...oll-colerain-team-to-beat-in-gmc-1230754.html

Look about right? All the talk so far has been about past players but what's going on with this year's team?

Pulse Journal preview:
http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/...ew-mason-comets-1232183.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Springboro

Game 1

-Josh Little one of the better QBs in SWO:
(1,600 yards, 18 TDs, 10 INTs in 2010)

-RB Jalen Campbell a D1 prospect:
A junior campaign with 924 (rushing) yards, 204 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns is impressive by any standards, but when you consider that Springboro’s Jalen Campbell did that in only seven games you quickly see why the Panthers’ running back is the latest player to be featured in our Rising Star Series.
http://www.tristatefootball.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=3074

-Team preview:
SPRINGBORO PANTHERS
Division I, Region 4
Head Coach: Ryan Wilhite (32-18 @ Springboro, five years, 32-18 overall)
2010 Record: 7-3, 4-0

Overview: Every year it seems like Springboro goes 7-3 or 8-2 misses the postseason and people forget quickly how good they really were. This season the Panthers have the talent to make it a memorable campaign. The program last made the playoffs in 2005 and with a few good bounces they have a shot at their fourth post-season appearance in school history.

Springboro is a veteran squad at their skills positions. Quarterback Josh Little and running back Jalen Campbell were First-Team All-GWOC South members as juniors. Little had a knack for getting the ball over the goal line with 18 touchdowns passing and nine rushing. Campbell had a breakout-campaign running for 925 yards, catching 22 passes while finding the end zone eight times. Junior Jake Johnson is primed for a big year. He is one of many quality receivers in the conference. Head coach Ryan Wilhite is high on the pass-catching abilities of Jack Schaaf. Sean Welsh anchors the offensive line.

The (Panthers) need to step it up on defense. Wilhite worries about the Panthers’ inexperience on the defensive line. He knows this team must mature in a hurry. Outside linebacker and the team’s leading tackler Austin Rines will lead by his example on the field. Welsh will get snaps along the line. Kyle Longworth is expected to contribute in the secondary.
http://www.tristatefootball.com/articles.asp?ArticleID=3071

“Coach (Ryan) Wilhite thinks this is the best Springboro team he’s had since he’s been there and they return starters at key positions. They’re high and rolling and we know we’re in for a tough, tough game.” -Brain Castner
-Mason and Springboro old rivals:
From 1965-98, the Warren County rivals combined to win 15 FAVC football titles and often faced each other with the conference crown on the line.

Growth and geography ended the rivalry as Springboro moved on to the Dayton-based Greater Western Ohio Conference and Mason took its spot in Cincinnati’s premier public school league, the Greater Miami Conference.

Friday night, after more than a decade, the rivalry is renewed.

The Comets open the 2011 season at Springboro’s CareFlight Field against a Panthers squad that returns 10 starters from last year’s GWOC South champion squad.

“It’s a huge historical rivalry and it’s great that we were able to put it back together,” Mason coach Brian Castner said. “I’ll play them forever if they want to and it’s not just playing each other to renew the rivalry. It’s going to be a great game.
http://www.pulsejournal.com/sports/high-school-sports/mason-springboro-rivalry-renewed-1238365.html

OOC Confidence factor!

Great research and info MC!

In response to the Comets placement in the preseason poll; I'd say it's about right and depending on the OOC game results could move up a couple of spots or down a couple as well (confidence factor)

Mason needs to win 2 out of three of their OOC games to get that first overall winning season since joining the GMC. The OOC games will either help or hinder the Comets confidence going into conference play against the best team in their league; Colerain. If they can come out of the first four games 2-2 or better than that winning season could be a reality; if not than I'm sorry to say .500 will be the best they'll do for 2011 IMO.

Good news is their OOC opponents are not as strong as the OOC teams they've played in the past. The bad news is the first game they're up against Springboro who not only won their league last year but are returning their top running back (second in rushing only playing in 8 games) and a QB who was first in the GWOC south division and second in all of the GWOC in passing last year. Which means that he will test a brand new Comet backfield. This will expose the inexperienced Comet backfield and could spell doom for the outcome of Friday's opener.

If the Comet defense can hold Springboro to 2 TD's or less and the offense can establish the running game and of course score more than 14 points than Mason wins.

The more points scored in this game the less likely Mason will come out on top IMO.

Hopefully the Comets pull out the W and come out healthy! And I agree with you, KEO about Mason needing to win 2, however I think winning all 3 OOC games is key for building this team's swagger and momentum heading into Colerain.. Hopefully the passing game has improved ten-fold from last year's squad..

Great research and info MC!

In response to the Comets placement in the preseason poll; I'd say it's about right and depending on the OOC game results could move up a couple of spots or down a couple as well (confidence factor)

Mason needs to win 2 out of three of their OOC games to get that first overall winning season since joining the GMC. The OOC games will either help or hinder the Comets confidence going into conference play against the best team in their league; Colerain. If they can come out of the first four games 2-2 or better than that winning season could be a reality; if not than I'm sorry to say .500 will be the best they'll do for 2011 IMO.

Good news is their OOC opponents are not as strong as the OOC teams they've played in the past. The bad news is the first game they're up against Springboro who not only won their league last year but are returning their top running back (second in rushing only playing in 8 games) and a QB who was first in the GWOC south division and second in all of the GWOC in passing last year. Which means that he will test a brand new Comet backfield. This will expose the inexperienced Comet backfield and could spell doom for the outcome of Friday's opener.

If the Comet defense can hold Springboro to 2 TD's or less and the offense can establish the running game and of course score more than 14 points than Mason wins.

The more points scored in this game the less likely Mason will come out on top IMO.
I agree...they probably need to win two OOC games to have hope to make any noise in conference and they probably don't want to get into a shootout with Boro. That being said, Boro only returns 3 starters on D (all linebackers) so maybe the offense can do more damage than we expect. Less than 24 hours away now!

The left tackle (Sean Welsh) was very impressive as a sophomore last season and was apprarently offered by Bowling Green. Some video here:

http://www.scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=6037&name=SeanWelsh

Also...
Two Warren County cities are among the 100 "best small towns" in the nation, according to CNN Money.

The annual ranking of best places to live showed Mason at 24 and Springboro at 42 , two of five Ohio small towns on the list.
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110815/NEWS01/108160305/Mason-Springboro-among-best-places-live

Great information!

Mason should be able to establish the run early which can open up the passing game. If they can stuff Springboro's running up the middle and put some pressure on the QB, they should be good. It should be a good game and Mason should win it. Can't wait.

If you cannot make the game tonight you can listen on the web via the new Mason High School Sports Broadcast Club

mason.localsportsradio.com

Mason 38, Springboro 28 - FINAL

Work to be done? Sure. But what a great way to start the season. :thumb:

Last edited:
Well, I think this coming week is a "must win" to keep playoff hopes alive.. Going into the conference schedule 1-2 is NOT acceptable, ESPECIALLY with how fast a start Princeton is having this year... Not the "easy W" a previously expected.. If they go in 1-2, the tough games include Colerain, East, Princeton, and Middeltown, a 4-6 record wouldn't be far off of a possibility... That's why this week is a must win confidence builder... Hopefully we can fix our defensive struggles over this next week, as I think Glen Este runs the same offense as Lancaster? Best of luck, Comets!

Lancaster loss really hurt!!

Agree with everything you said in the above post JediMaster. This years defense giving up almost 8 yards average a carry makes it the worst defense Mason has had since joining the GMC so far. In fact that stat as well as others makes this defense the worst defense in the entire GMC for the last 10 years including Milford (good thing there are 8 more games to correct this; I hope!).

The good news is it's still early in the season and the bad news is like you said, "next week is a must win"; already!

If Mason is to get that first winning season since joining the GMC they have to win next week IMO. With what I've seen on the defensive side so far, playoffs should even not be in their vocabulary, at this point.

Too many teams in the GMC run the ball very well. Having to score more than 35 points each game (still not winning) and not stopping the run, will make the Comets lucky to break even at 5-5 this year!

My preseason predictions:

Need to replace alot of skill players. 6-4 is possible as well as 4-6, depending on how well the defense comes together this year, 5-5 is realistic IMO.The offense will be have to be less predictable, establish a better running game and improve alot on the passing game to get that first winning season in the GMC.
Even if the Comets went 7-3 or 8-2; that would not be enough Harbin's to make the playoffs without beating Colerain, Middletown, and Lancaster (2 of those three).
Springboro L or W
Lancaster L
Glen Este W
Colerain L
Fairfield W
Lakota East W or L
Princeton W
Oak Hills L or W
Middletown L
Sycamore W or L

My revised after first two weeks:

Springboro L or W
Lancaster L
Glen Este W or L
Colerain L
Fairfield W
Lakota East L
Princeton W or L
Oak Hills W
Middletown L
Sycamore W or L

5-5 still possible but if they lose to Glen Este, then most likely will be 4-6 (realistically) IMO, also.

Hope I'm wrong and they go 6-4 but no way they do better than that realistically (unless their's a miraculous change in defensive game play).

Really?!? So you think they're only going to win 2 of their remaining seven games?

That won't happen...they will do better than 4-6.

What's up with the Comet D? At this point in last years season they were close to if not #1 in defense in the GMC... The offense seems to be clicking early which is good, and the old saying "offense wins games," well you still need that championship defense to back the O up a bit... Hopefully the Comets can fix the mistakes fast, because as I said before, even the teams that were a sure "W" before the season started, look like they might be a handful now... Ex. Princeton, who the Comets host next week for their Homecoming game... When was the last time Mason lost HC?

What's up with the Comet D? At this point in last years season they were close to if not #1 in defense in the GMC... The offense seems to be clicking early which is good, and the old saying "offense wins games," well you still need that championship defense to back the O up a bit... Hopefully the Comets can fix the mistakes fast, because as I said before, even the teams that were a sure "W" before the season started, look like they might be a handful now... Ex. Princeton, who the Comets host next week for their Homecoming game... When was the last time Mason lost HC?

I think you're off by about 3 weeks! LOL!

IMO they still go 5-5 but if the defense doesn't improve they could go 4-6. All the GMC teams they play look pretty good. The only for sure win should be next week vs Fairfield and the only other game they should definitely win is Oak Hills. Against Middletown, East, Princeton, and Sycamore the Comets will be underdogs. Come to think about it Oak Hills has a pretty good running game so that could be tough also. :shrug:

With the easier OOC schedule there's no excuse for not getting a winning season this year. Anything less would be a step back IMO.
Hope they can get it done!

haha, KEO you're right, idk where I got my schedule from.. lol but still, Princeton is an example of a team not to be taken as lightly as they were beforehand... I see wins against fairfield, and oak hills, while the rest are up in the air right now (except for middletown)

haha, KEO you're right, idk where I got my schedule from.. lol but still, Princeton is an example of a team not to be taken as lightly as they were beforehand... I see wins against fairfield, and oak hills, while the rest are up in the air right now (except for middletown)
I Knew what you meant, just messin with you! :)

I agree with what you say above also. Hope somehow they can get the defense in line withn the offense though. :shrug:

Really?!? So you think they're only going to win 2 of their remaining seven games?

That won't happen...they will do better than 4-6.
As Knock-em-out already posted, the Comets will only be favored against Oak Hills and Fairfield. They'll be dogs in all of the other games.

Can't play matador defense and win in the GMC.

As a long time reader, first time poster, I would just like to state that my opinion comes from playing for years.

I attended my first Mason game last night and was at times happy to call myself a Comet fan, and at others I felt like we were watching the two doormats of the GMC.

I saw many many good things, the RB Johnson was very good and hits the hole hard(runs over people, whereas Bremby and Fulcher would have tried to run around people in years past), and the passing game was accurate but, while effective in this game, seemed to only work because Fairfield had no pressure up front, and their defensive backs were abysmal to say the least, the Indians need a safety like they had a few years ago in Chenault, if I remember correctly, to be even mediocre in the backfield. Masons offensive line looked good(especially Spencer), but based on the athleticism of the Fairfield front, it wasn't a great litmus test to see how good a line that features a D-1 prospect truly is.

Speaking of D-1, I wonder how 27 (Dooley) is a D-1 prospect, let alone committed to one of my favorite teams the Redskins (yes I still call them by their real name) he constantly had missed tackles, and was out of position nearly every play I was truly watching him, while the (98) Lewis, (50) Hurly, and (45) Suess kids were all over the field, shedding blocks and disrupting nearly every play. As I have mentioned I have read these forums for a little while, I am starting to wonder if the seniors from last year (that were the focus of so much negativity on these very forums) were the reason this defense was as good as it was, and maybe some of the optimism that existed at the beginning of the year were based on those seniors (Denny, King, Bertrams, and Myers specifically) changing the focus of the opposing offense. Until the front 7 get constant pressure and the db's can cover for more than 4 or 5 seconds, this defense is not going to help the Comets win any games. I was pleasantly surprised though that even when they didn't get much pressure, the hands of the Comets d-line were the most active I think that I have ever seen, they truly understood, once that QB's hands go up to release, put your hands up! That created not only frustration, but I can remember at least 4 or 5 tipped balls, and that isn't common by any means.

Overall I came away more surprised at how bad Fairfield was than how good mason was, even though the scoreline was very pro Comets, as well as more impressed with the other players on defense that were players, until last night I never knew, than the players I have heard about for years.

Not to sound too negative but just my thoughts, from a former player.

Unfortunately this was the easiest game for the comets of the year, and I am not sure I will have time to see another game to see some improvement.

Go Comets!

A wins a win......but lets not get too excited just yet!

Mason did play well and Fairfield did not but I don't know what to say about a team that wins by 35+ this week and loses by 35+ the week before.
This is HS football and anything can happen but it's most likely because Mason played the best team in the GMC last week, the worse team in the GMC this week, and are a .500 football team :shrug:

Mason's offense has been pretty consistent so far this year but defense is up and down depending on whether their opponents offense is good or not.

The remaining games Mason wins will depend on whether the defense can tackle (they give up more than 6 yards per carry). Fairfield is the only GMC team to give up more (only .3 yards more per carry). All Masons and Fairfields remaining opponents run the ball extremely well.

Mason is 3-2 with wins over teams with a combined record of 4-11. The losses coming from Lancaster 2-3 (now last in their league scoring a total of 17 points in the last 3 weeks while giving up 73 and have not won a game since defeating the Comets 3 weeks ago 41 -35) and of course losing to the now 4-1 Colerain Cardinals ((GMC champs since way back forever, it seems) (who appear to be a bit down this year using Colerain high standards)) 56-20 last week.

It's a good start but the next half of the season they play teams that have a combined record of 20-5 and all have winning records so far this season. Mason will only be favored against Oak Hills but that's only if Mason wins at least one of it's next 2 games vs East or Princeton. Fairfield will not be favored in any of it's remaining games and be lucky to win again this year.

So... what I'm saying is a wins a win but starting next week we'll see how good Mason is and how bad Fairfield is for real! Using scores from the last 2 weeks Fairfield could lose to Colerain next week by 70+ points depending how early Colerain puts in it's subs. :shrug:

Last edited:
I think you are right

As a long time reader, first time poster, I would just like to state that my opinion comes from playing for years.

As I have mentioned I have read these forums for a little while, I am starting to wonder if the seniors from last year (that were the focus of so much negativity on these very forums) were the reason this defense was as good as it was, and maybe some of the optimism that existed at the beginning of the year were based on those seniors (Denny, King, Bertrams, and Myers specifically) changing the focus of the opposing offense. Until the front 7 get constant pressure and the db's can cover for more than 4 or 5 seconds, this defense is not going to help the Comets win any games. I was pleasantly surprised though that even when they didn't get much pressure, the hands of the Comets d-line were the most active I think that I have ever seen, they truly understood, once that QB's hands go up to release, put your hands up! That created not only frustration, but I can remember at least 4 or 5 tipped balls, and that isn't common by any means.

Overall I came away more surprised at how bad Fairfield was than how good mason was, even though the scoreline was very pro Comets, as well as more impressed with the other players on defense that were players, until last night I never knew, than the players I have heard about for years.

Mason's defense lost a DE, MLB, and entire secondary (1 DB returner) from last year's team. Last years secondary combined, made almost 50% of all tackles on defense last year. These were some of the best DB's and tacklers (collectively) Mason has had in awhile IMO. All the players they lost on defense were major contributers that helped last years defense be the best defense and team that Mason has had in the last 5 years (since joining the GMC). That's a fact (see the stats if you don't believe me). Without DB's being able to come up and assist in stopping the run as well as open field tackling, offenses will be able to make big gains if and when they break though or around the line of scrimmage.

IMO I believe if last years team would have had the offensive output that this years offense has had thus far (Johnson's/Niehoff's/Sprague's and the entire offensive output performance this year) combined with last years defense, that the Comets would have made the playoffs last year winning the Hamilton, Sycamore games and even possibly middletown and or Trotwood with a 7-3 or 8-2 record, again IMO.

Last edited:
Mason's defense lost a DE, MLB, and entire secondary (1 DB returner) from last year's team. Last years secondary combined, made almost 50% of all tackles on defense last year. These were some of the best DB's and tacklers (collectively) Mason has had in awhile IMO. All the players they lost on defense were major contributers that helped last years defense be the best defense and team that Mason has had in the last 5 years (since joining the GMC). That's a fact (see the stats if you don't believe me). Without DB's being able to come up and assist in stopping the run as well as open field tackling, offenses will be able to make big gains if and when they break though or around the line of scrimmage.

IMO I believe if last years team would have had the offensive output that this years offense has had thus far (Johnson's/Niehoff's/Sprague's and the entire offensive output performance this year) combined with last years defense, that the Comets would have made the playoffs last year winning the Hamilton, Sycamore games and even possibly middletown and or Trotwood with a 7-3 or 8-2 record, again IMO.

You are what your record says you are. - Bill Parcells

Greater Miami Conference 
preseason poll

1. Colerain (8) 96

2. Middletown 89

3. Hamilton 70

4. Sycamore 55

5. Oak Hills 48

6. Mason 45

7. Lakota West 42

8. Lakota East 39

9. Fairfield (1) 34

10. Princeton (1) 32

First-place votes in parenthesis
^^^ NOPE.

Congrats to the 2011 Mason Comets!!! 5-2 In the GMC and playoff bound!!!