2009 Highland Football

I hope Highland wins league.. Definitely think we are a contender. Wadsworth is going to be tough though, as will a few other teams. We have a real good team this year, probably not as dominate as last year's group, but still real good.

Highland did not punt once in the scrimmage. 5 possessions - Int, Fumble, TD, TD, Kneel down to end half. The third TD was scored by the defense. Petrilla had a really bad day ay QB. Threw a pick 6 then fumbled on the next possession deep inside Highland territory. All 14 points were basically given to Nordonia. When Scholle replaced Petrilla, Highland's offense scored on the next two possessions. After that scrimmage, I would be surprised if Scholle does not start Friday night.

Place kicking remains a huge problem for the hornets. They look like a junior high team trying to kick extra points.

Defense played fairly well again. I did not think they pursued as well as last week. Some weak spots in our offensive line were revealed in the early going. Big physical d-end for Nordonia was whipping us all night.

Nordonia QB has a cannon. He looks pretty good to me. Nordonia defense could not get themselves off the field on third and fourth down. Brian says some players were injured, and that may have a lot to do with it.

Player of the game for Highland was Scholle IMO. Great job of bringing Highland back from behind. Things were looking BAD in the first quarter.

I do not think the Hornets will win the league. Not based on what I have seen so far. I do think they have a chance to make the playoffs as a 6-7-8 seed if they play up to their potential. A few key injuries or mistakes and this team could end up under .500, IMO

A. Heard Nesic may still end up kicking for Highland... This would definitely be a huge addition.

B. Heard RR had a staph outbreak...

A. Heard Nesic may still end up kicking for Highland... This would definitely be a huge addition.

B. Heard RR had a staph outbreak...

Nesic will be kicking for the hornets this year after originally opting out. Don't know how great of a leg he has (more of the playmaker on the soccer field) but ill take a soccer player over a soph qb...

And also agree that Nordonia's QB had a cannon-looked 6'+

Nesic will be kicking for the hornets this year after originally opting out. Don't know how great of a leg he has (more of the playmaker on the soccer field) but ill take a soccer player over a soph qb...

And also agree that Nordonia's QB had a cannon-looked 6'+

I doubt Nesic would be on the field tonight since we haven't seen him in uniform. If this rain keeps up kicking will be an adventure for the Hornets tonight. Hopefully we will score enought TD's that it won't matter!

Speaking of special teams, check out River's punter tonight. That kid was awesome last year as a junior.

Nesic re-injured his ankle last night in Highland's 8-0 win over Wooster in soccer... I don't think it is overly-serious, but considering that he hasn't been practicing football lately I'd be somewhat surprised to see him out there tonight. Then again, if he has anywhere near the skill kicking a football that he does kicking a soccer ball, he may still be worth throwing out there over Scholle.

Highland played pretty good.

Both offenses shot themselves in the foot early with penalties and such. Our defense is definitely back though. They had a few runs here or there for some yards, mostly on toss plays from what I could tell. They couldn't get anything going consistently though. The short passing game was the same, they had a few plays where they had nice completions, but we'd be able to stop them at some point. Passing deep was impossible. Pick seemingly everytime. Maslowski was too fast and Kronenberger could jump to high. I hope teams throw to Maz's side this year... 2 or 3 picks... Petrilla added one. Kronenberger had a few pass break ups, just so tall! Taking out the deep pass really let us blitz. The QB's elusiveness was definitely the major issue for our D. Had we been able to get him on first touch we'd have probably cut out a good deal of there offensive yards. We can fix that though. This is a tough group.

Offensively it definitely a bit slow to get going... Drops, fumbles, penalties all showed our inexperience. The potential is there though, that was clear. Kronenberger's TD was a heck of a catch, he had some drops, hopefully that was first game jitters. Definitely provides a nice target for Scholle. Speaking of Scholle, he really gives us a playmaker at the QB spot with his feet. Had some issues with the fumbling the snaps, issues are to be expected with a young QB. For his first Varsity start, he did a very good job. A little too much pressure on Scholle to make me happy about the line play, but hopefully that continues to come together. We also didn't exactly give Maz ample running room until after we got the passing game going. We need to be able to run to a certain degree without the pass... Their were quite a few times where Maz was a step away from breaking it which is encouraging. The screens to give him space were definitely a plus. And all this without Serafin? That may be as good of a sign as any.

Special teams was alright. Abbregg doing the kickoffs is huge for us, he has the leg from soccer to get it down there. I actually wouldn't be shocked to see him end up at placekicker if he works at it. He has better leg strength. Nesic has the edge in accuracy though, his XP's were all right down the center. Punting looked good. For as inexperienced as this group is, I was very happy with what we saw today.

Buckeye should be a nice test.

Go Hornets!

Nice start for the Hornets. I agree with Bobcat's assessment of the game - with the addition that I am concerned about our key two-way players late in the game. Maz and TP were cramping up in the third quarter. Kroney is another guy that could run into that problem. Coaches need to find a way to rest those guys for a series or two earlier in the game so they are available when the money is on the line in the fourth quarter. I would hate to look up in the fourth quarter of the Wadsworth game and see TP and Maz laying on the sideline with cramps.

Nice start for the Hornets. I agree with Bobcat's assessment of the game - with the addition that I am concerned about our key two-way players late in the game. Maz and TP were cramping up in the third quarter. Kroney is another guy that could run into that problem. Coaches need to find a way to rest those guys for a series or two earlier in the game so they are available when the money is on the line in the fourth quarter. I would hate to look up in the fourth quarter of the Wadsworth game and see TP and Maz laying on the sideline with cramps.
Very true. I saw TP come out with the calf cramp. They are both keys to the offense and defense, but I think we have the depth to lean on other guys for a series here or there. Definitely a matter coaches should be looking into. TP, Maz, Kroney, Serafin, Justik, Butler are all the major two way guys I believe. TP, Maz, Kroney, and Serafin are the 4 that coaches really will have trouble pulling off the field mid-game to rest. I hope Serafin rotating to TE and HB could be part of the solution to that issue.

Holy Name to Replace Rocky River in 2010

The Gazette is reporting that Holy Name will replace Rocky River for week one in 2010. That should be a win, but we won't get many Harbin points from it. Holy Name is a mediocre D3 team. I suppose you could argue that Rocky River was a mediocre D3 team when we first put them on our schedule. They had one good year, but now are basically a mediocre D2 team. I would like to see us find a mediocre D1 team to play in week one.

I have given up on posting new threads for each game. Not enough participants to justify it. I will just keep posting on the 2009 thread for now. :)

Week 4 - Tallmadge @ Highland

I think the Hornets will rebound nicely this week. Scholle had a tough day throwing the ball against North Roylaton, but the experience was invaluable. I say he throws for 180+ and runs for a 100+ this week. :)

I am very concerned about Serafin. Very gimpy on that knee. Maybe a week off vs. Tallmadge? :shrug:

I am also still concerned about Maz getting a blow prior to the fourth quarter. I hope coach can find a way to spell him a little earlier in the game so he is ready to go at crunch time. He was out on defense in the fourth quarter against North Royalton with cramps, and Popson held his own at corner :thumb: for 8 or 9 minutes. But I am sure the time will come when we will need Maz fresh in the fourth quarter to win a close SL game.

I think the Hornets will rebound nicely this week. Scholle had a tough day throwing the ball against North Roylaton, but the experience was invaluable. I say he throws for 180+ and runs for a 100+ this week. :)

I am very concerned about Serafin. Very gimpy on that knee. Maybe a week off vs. Tallmadge? :shrug:

I am also still concerned about Maz getting a blow prior to the fourth quarter. I hope coach can find a way to spell him a little earlier in the game so he is ready to go at crunch time. He was out on defense in the fourth quarter against North Royalton with cramps, and Popson held his own at corner :thumb: for 8 or 9 minutes. But I am sure the time will come when we will need Maz fresh in the fourth quarter to win a close SL game.

Seems subbing has been an issue with lack of depth and need for multiple players to play both ways

Seems subbing has been an issue with lack of depth and need for multiple players to play both ways

Maz did not play defense in quarters 2,3, and 4 against Green. Not sure if that was a health related decision or just for rest. But yes, there are a lot of kids going both ways all night for the Hornets.

It is time for the seniors to step up and be leaders so this season does not go south. Hornets have a chance to salvage a decent season so long as they don't shut it down early. It usually takes good, strong senior leadership to finish strong after a couple of disappointing losses. Here's hoping they get it headed in the right direction against Barberton.

Maz did not play defense in quarters 2,3, and 4 against Green. Not sure if that was a health related decision or just for rest. But yes, there are a lot of kids going both ways all night for the Hornets.

It is time for the seniors to step up and be leaders so this season does not go south. Hornets have a chance to salvage a decent season so long as they don't shut it down early. It usually takes good, strong senior leadership to finish strong after a couple of disappointing losses. Here's hoping they get it headed in the right direction against Barberton.

I don't know if the Hornet players and coaches have been reading these posts (as im sure some actually have) but they made some changes and it worked.
The seniors stepped up and rallied and led a team to a victory over Wadsworth (proving they could have done this against Revere and Green)
And the dynamics of position changing has been good. TP has been getting some carries and taking a load off on the running game, while the defense has switched it up and has Petrilla playing linebacker now inorder to accomodate the teams needs.
I like it.

I don't know if the Hornet players and coaches have been reading these posts (as im sure some actually have) but they made some changes and it worked.
The seniors stepped up and rallied and led a team to a victory over Wadsworth (proving they could have done this against Revere and Green)
And the dynamics of position changing has been good. TP has been getting some carries and taking a load off on the running game, while the defense has switched it up and has Petrilla playing linebacker now inorder to accomodate the teams needs.
I like it.

I agree, these were good moves. And like you, I was impressed with the seniors the last two weeks. Looks like the Hornets are coming together at just the right time. With 2 tough games left, there is no reason they should be taking anyone lightly. Not sure if anyone "in the know" is reading our threads and listening to advice from us armchair head coaches. Either way, I trust that Coach Lombardo and his staff are more than smart enough to make these changes on their own. We are lucky to have him as our head coach. I really appreciate the job he has done turning this program around - regardless of how these last two games turn out. :clap:

Did Petrilla play LB in the Wadsworth game or did they just move him as safety into the box. Whichever it was, he played his heart out. The key was the corners one-on-one coverage, preventing the big play and letting us stack up against the run. Great effort by players and great coaching.

Did Petrilla play LB in the Wadsworth game or did they just move him as safety into the box. Whichever it was, he played his heart out. The key was the corners one-on-one coverage, preventing the big play and letting us stack up against the run. Great effort by players and great coaching.

He was playing some linebacker with #25 Selerowski (sp?) at safety. Petrilla did a great job. He is undersized for a linebacker, but he is not afraid to stick his nose in there and make plays. :)