2008 Elder Football

DOWNTOWN PANTHER

Going into 2008 the Panthers should be very confident. This was an exciting year in 2007. I think Gramke (I think was only a junior), Josh Jones, and Tim O'conner will be very exciting to watch.

Thoughts.. Opinions.. Predictions..

Schedule?

As long as Specht is at St X and Ramsey is at Elder, and X has a half way decent team, Elder will not beat X. So, at best, I see a 9-1 season.

2008 Schedule (per highschoolsports.net):

Vs. Middletown (Crosstown Showdown)
Herbstreit Challenge
Vs. Oak Hills
Vs. La Salle
Vs. St. Edward
Vs. St. X
Vs. Cov Cath
@ Moeller
Vs. Benedictine
Vs. West High

Elder doesn't really have a true road game next year: 3 games at Nippert and the rest at The Pit. I reckon the season ticket package will be a bit pricey this year....

I'm hoping they bounce back. We should have several good skill players, which is great. Unfortunately, that has not been the problem over the last several seasons. The problem has been very poor tackling, a decided (and un-Elder) lack of physicality (there are some exceptions), and overall average team speed. The last item can be improved with better training techniques (see St. X). The first two items speak to attitude, effort, and technique.

The lack of toughness is most disconcerting. After watching the game last night, I thought X won the physical battle more decidedly than the speed and atleticism battle. It seems to me that X's skill guys play much bigger than they are, while our skill guys play smaller than they are.

That said, I think the future looks good based on what I saw this year from the sophomore class. Their defense was very impressive showing great toughness and overall speed. Offensively, their skill players are very tough, fast, and athletic. I'm especially encouraged that these observations were made against quality opponents like Colerain and Moeller.

I wonder if Elder would consider swapping with Oak Hills or LaSalle to avoid more 4 home game seasons in the future.

I know we are going to hear a lot of Coach Ramsey rumors. As long as the Reading job isnt open, I dont think he will be going anywhere.

I wonder if Elder would consider swapping with Oak Hills or LaSalle to avoid more 4 home game seasons in the future.

Good point. I would think Oak Hills would be the one Elder would consider. With GCLs play being tough enough already, I dont see the Elder AD giving a GCLs school home games 2 straight years.

This may have been addressed already, but why has Elder not yet made a trip to Cleveland to play Benedictine?

Stephon Burnham was a senior this year.

Also put Jake Hahn in the mix for the OL.

Defense has got to get more physical and tackle better. We made some improvements in that area. We could use a pass rusher, IMO. I'm hoping that will come from one of the JV's defensive lineman.

Last edited:
Going into 2008 the Panthers should be very confident. This was an exciting year in 2007. I think Gramke (I think was only a junior), Josh Jones, and Tim O'conner will be very exciting to watch.

Thoughts.. Opinions.. Predictions..

Schedule?

The difference maker on offense next year will be Adam Brown. He is by far the most explosive player they have. He had a below average OL on JV this year and still completely dominated. Best RB at Elder since BG.
Lineup I see something like this
QB - Hetzer
TB - Adam Brown
FB - Carswell
WRs - Jones, O'Connor, Mellott, Chidemo (Needs to improve the strength of his hands)
TE - Welch
OL - Bujnoch, Anevski, Hahn return. Others Goins, Wittwer, maybe Vasilevic and Jackson if they get bigger and stronger.
DL - Bachman, Scales, Daffin starters. Others Reed and Lucas.
LB - King, Palmisano. Others Mikel Williams and Newman
DB - Asman, Reggie Mitchell, Autenreib, Vogelsang for sure. Maybe Reistenberg, Ware, Chaffin, Mason.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't Carswell return at FB?

He very well may. Just an option to try to get the OL more athletic. By next season, hopefully he will be about the same size as Hengehold was this year when they moved him to OL. They are only about 10 pounds different. I can see Carswell at Center.

Also I'd love to see Gramke and Brown in the same backfield in 2008 in some formations. Gramke had a great year and will get his carries. Brown also has to get his carries - he is a game changer. Brown has a real chance to be similar to what D. Ashley does for X if he runs behind an outstanding athletic O line.

Specht and Ramsey

As long as Specht is at St X and Ramsey is at Elder, and X has a half way decent team, Elder will not beat X. So, at best, I see a 9-1 season.

Ramsey has two state titles under his belt that went right through St. Xavier and Colerain. Is Specht that dominating of a coach?

Doug Ramsey

I know we are going to hear a lot of Coach Ramsey rumors. As long as the Reading job isnt open, I dont think he will be going anywhere.

It is my opinion that Ramsey is one of the top coaches in the state. Are people honestly calling for his job in Cincinnati?

Not too long ago the man won back-to-back state titles.

It is my opinion that Ramsey is one of the top coaches in the state. Are people honestly calling for his job in Cincinnati?

Not too long ago the man won back-to-back state titles.

No. In recent years there have been a few coaching vacancies he has been a candidate for. He applied for the Mason job last year I believe. So for the past couple off-seasons there have been rumors of him leaving Elder.

Good point. I would think Oak Hills would be the one Elder would consider. With GCLs play being tough enough already, I dont see the Elder AD giving a GCLs school home games 2 straight years.

Doesn't the GMC mandate that weeks 4 through 10 are GMC games only? I don't know if OH would be able to switch.

I think the problem this year was that they were supposed to play Mason in week 5 but the ended up in the GMC this year which lead to the St. Eds game. Hopefully they can pick up someone else a little closer to home in the future.

The difference maker on offense next year will be Adam Brown. He is by far the most explosive player they have. He had a below average OL on JV this year and still completely dominated. Best RB at Elder since BG.
Lineup I see something like this
QB - Hetzer
TB - Adam Brown
FB - Carswell
WRs - Jones, O'Connor, Mellott, Chidemo (Needs to improve the strength of his hands)
TE - Welch
OL - Bujnoch, Anevski, Hahn return. Others Goins, Wittwer, maybe Vasilevic and Jackson if they get bigger and stronger.
DL - Bachman, Scales, Daffin starters. Others Reed and Lucas.
LB - King, Palmisano. Others Mikel Williams and Newman
DB - Asman, Reggie Mitchell, Autenreib, Vogelsang for sure. Maybe Reistenberg, Ware, Chaffin, Mason.

Just some quick predictions on my part:

Qb- Hetzer (no doubt)
Rb- Gramke (wright and brown compliment backs)
Fb- Carswell
Wrs- Jones, O'Conner, Delprince, Mellot
Te- Welch
Ol- Bujnoch and Anevski will definantly be there. Not sure about the rest of the spots.
Dl- Bachman, Scales, Daffin, Newman
Lb- King and Peters (possibly Palmisano)
S's- Asman, Autenrieb, Vogelsang (possibly Palmisano)
Cbs- Mitchel, Fishburn ( Possibly Chaffin or Sims)
*** there are so many good DBs for this upcoming team, i dont know how the coaches will handle it. Asman and Autenrieb will definantly return as starters. the rest is just a toss up. I think the two sophomores that will most likely get spots are Vogelsang and Fishburn. they impressed me the most on the JV level and i believe they both dressed varsity didnt they?

Schedule with dates:

D1 Sat 08/23/2008, Away, vs. Middletown High School at Nippert Time: TBA
D1? Sat 08/30/2008, Away vs. Herbrsteit Challenge TBA at Nippert, Time: TBA
D1 Fri 09/05/2008, Home vs. Oak Hills High School at Pit, Time: 7:30
D1 Fri 09/12/2008, Home vs. La Salle High School at Pit, Time: 7:30
D1 Sat 09/20/2008, Home vs. St Edward High School at Pit, Time: 7:00
D1 Fri 09/26/2008, Home vs. St. Xavier High School at Pit, Time: 7:30
D2 Fri 10/10/2008, vs. Home Covington Catholic at Pit, Time: 7:30
D1 Fri 10/17/2008, Away vs. Moeller High School, Time: TBA
D3 Sat 10/18/2008, Home vs. Benedictine High School at Pit, Time: 7:30
D1 Fri 10/24/2008, Home vs. Western Hills High School at Pit, Time: 7:30

Mark E - How in the world are they playing on Oct. 17th and 18th? Obviously, one of these games is on Oct. 3rd or 4th since that date is open on your list.

Doesn't the GMC mandate that weeks 4 through 10 are GMC games only? I don't know if OH would be able to switch.

The idea was to have Oak Hills have the game at their place next year, not switch weeks. Doing so would help balance out the 2009 Elder home schedule.

Not that it is a big surprise, but 2008 will be the last West Hi-Elder game. Elder is still debating over whether or not to cancel, but West Hi is all set to not renew. Week 10 will go back to being a League Game for West Hi.

Hopefully this game will have some added meaning since it is the final game. The outcome won't be in doubt obviously.

Mark E - How in the world are they playing on Oct. 17th and 18th? Obviously, one of these games is on Oct. 3rd or 4th since that date is open on your list.

The schedules obviously are not set yet so we can only assume that they need to finalize things with other schools.

Not that it is a big surprise, but 2008 will be the last West Hi-Elder game. Elder is still debating over whether or not to cancel, but West Hi is all set to not renew. Week 10 will go back to being a League Game for West Hi.

Hopefully this game will have some added meaning since it is the final game. The outcome won't be in doubt obviously.

If that is true, hopefully they can find a school that will agree to a longer term deal to play every year for 5+ years to replace West High rather than try to fill week #10 with different schools year by year. Hate to see us end up with 9 games some years. Moe and X have had this issue in the past. Week #10 (week before the playoffs) would not be a good week to have a bye in my opinion, plus the players would all prefer a full 10 game regular season schedule.

If that is true, hopefully they can find a school that will agree to a longer term deal to play every year for 5+ years to replace West High rather than try to fill week #10 with different schools year by year. Hate to see us end up with 9 games some years. Moe and X have had this issue in the past. Week #10 (week before the playoffs) would not be a good week to have a bye in my opinion, plus the players would all prefer a full 10 game regular season schedule.

They should move LaSalle to Week #10. I think it would be easier for both Elder and LaSalle to find week 4 opponents than week 10.

They should move LaSalle to Week #10. I think it would be easier for both Elder and LaSalle to find week 4 opponents than week 10.

I concur. I think this will be the most likely move to happen if it is true that West High game is no more after 2008.

The question mark next year will once again be on the OL IMO. 08 will be the best group of skill players from an athletic standpoint they have probably ever had (Jones, Mellot, O'Connor, Brown, Chidemo, Welch on offense).

Even though they lose Rudolph and Olthaus you believe their skill players will be even more athletic next year? I find it very hard to believe. However I can not speak on it since I am not familiar with all of the kids mentioned. Just wondering if this is the usual offseason Elder hype that I have seen in recent years.

Ramsey has two state titles under his belt that went right through St. Xavier and Colerain. Is Specht that dominating of a coach?

Specht is more dominating of a coach at this point then Ramsey. Through Ramsey's first 3 years I doubt he had a title. Ramsey went through Rasso not Specht and lost to Rasso ALOT. Specht went through Ramsey and Coombs and his team's state title run and his teams have outscored Ramsey and Coombs 196-102 with a 7-1 record against both Coaches (5-0 v Ramsey & 2-1 v Coombs). To say the least Specht has been the best coach in the region since he was given the keys to the Cadillac.

Even though they lose Rudolph and Olthaus you believe their skill players will be even more athletic next year? I find it very hard to believe. However I can not speak on it since I am not familiar with all of the kids mentioned. Just wondering if this is the usual offseason Elder hype that I have seen in recent years.

What do you mean by off-season hype? These grades past history speaks for themselves, at least it should if they continue to work hard and have a good attitude. Both grades have only lost 1 game each in their first two years at Elder.

They will be much more athletic in the offensive backfield next year with Adam Brown. He is the fastest / quickest back I've seen at Elder. Jones should be a year better. O'Connor and Olthaus are similar athletically. Rudolph obviously is a huge loss, but Welch IMO has a chance to become a D-1 prospect as a TE as well. Chidemo could be a huge weapon in the slot if they figure out ways to get him the ball in space. Obviously it all comes down to line play though, if you don't have that you're skill players are basically negated.

What do you mean by off-season hype? These grades past history speaks for themselves, at least it should if they continue to work hard and have a good attitude. Both grades have only lost 1 game each in their first two years at Elder.

They will be much more athletic in the offensive backfield next year with Adam Brown. He is the fastest / quickest back I've seen at Elder. Jones should be a year better. O'Connor and Olthaus are similar athletically. Rudolph obviously is a huge loss, but Welch IMO has a chance to become a D-1 prospect as a TE as well. Chidemo could be a huge weapon in the slot if they figure out ways to get him the ball in space. Obviously it all comes down to line play though, if you don't have that you're skill players are basically negated.

There was a lot of hype surrounding the 2008 class who was supposed to be joined on varsity this year with the best class in Elder history (2009). I agree, you guys will need a line. If you dont have the hogs to block up front you cant get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. How will the D-Line look next season?