17 Game Season

cjb5656

I thought this was a bad idea and was just eventually leading to an 18 game regular season, but I’m still holding out a little hope that injury data collected over a few years might dictate a move back to the 16 game regular season. Since TV money dictates the NFL’s actions, probably not, but I’m hoping maybe the player’s association will demand it.

I am hearing 20 games with a season that stretches from Labor Day to end of February is inevitable, it is key to keep the SB in February as that is an important month for media to set ad rates so expect also expanded playoffs. Players will get 2 byes, 2-4 more full time rosters spots, and a bigger practice roster so it is almost like a resurrection of the old taxi squad to sweeten the deal. Also many countries are looking to sign up for international games, the latest I am hearing is Spain, France, & Brazil are at the top of the list with the NFL trying to figure out how to get Japan involved. At some point every NFL team will get 1 international game a season and they may even partner with a specific city to try and sell more gear.

I am hearing 20 games with a season that stretches from Labor Day to end of February is inevitable, it is key to keep the SB in February as that is an important month for media to set ad rates so expect also expanded playoffs. Players will get 2 byes, 2-4 more full time rosters spots, and a bigger practice roster so it is almost like a resurrection of the old taxi squad to sweeten the deal. Also many countries are looking to sign up for international games, the latest I am hearing is Spain, France, & Brazil are at the top of the list with the NFL trying to figure out how to get Japan involved. At some point every NFL team will get 1 international game a season and they may even partner with a specific city to try and sell more gear.
The QBs will all be dead by the playoffs.

So I know week 16 is played over Christmas Holiday but this is the type of schedule the NFL would like to do in the future, multiple games on multiple days around the weekend. Also if they go to two byes they may even start to look at Tuesday & Wednesday evening games coming out of bye weeks. They could care less about fans in the stands, it will be all about how many $s they can extract from various media "partners" with the ultimate goal being pay per view.

Ok, so for those who may have just started to follow sports, here the deal. Pro sports are about making money for the franchises, their shareholders and the players. The players have a union for some reason, it's not a typical labor union we're used to.
Once pro sports got on television, it opened up the system we have now with the crazy money being made by all involved. Prior to that, it really was ticket sales and other marketing that helped pay the bills. There is one thing out there that gets more eyeballs than any other television programming...live sports. You go back and look at any list if top rated shows in the year over the past decade and 90% of them are live sports, with obviously the super bowl being at the top annually.
So with that said, there is no way for these leagues to make more money outside of just pure negotiating other than adding inventory (games, playoffs, etc.) As hokey as most of us feel the NBA's in-season tournament was, buckle up, there will be more of these moving forward, with baseball probably adding something like this soon.
The leagues has to make statements about player safety just because, but they don't care about player safety. We see the same viscous hits week after week with a 15 yard penalty as the major punishment. Remember the definition of targeting when they say a player "launches" themself into a player in the head/ neck area. Watch a game closely and this happens nearly on every play. To me I don't care, these guys know what they signed up for, but don't say you care about player safety when you have guys play 2 games in 4 days and 3 games in 10 days.
There are more players playing in NFL games than ever before due to injuries, so the union's not going to do anything to stop that.
Heck, look at your state high schools now. In Ohio, the teams in the state championship likely played 16 games this season, only one less than the NFL players, and many of them play both ways.

I think injuries have more to do with Thursday night games than the extra week. And those games are usually awful.
I don't disagree with that. Also, NFL players have the least amount of contact outside of games than ever before. Many of these guys simply are not ready for the physical side of football. You have to have a certain amount of tackling and hitting the ground to get ready for the season. There is next to no hitting during the week anymore, and even preseason it's limited. These guys get hurt because they are not ready to perform.

You take 100 people with no training and go run a marathon and see what happens.

I don't disagree with that. Also, NFL players have the least amount of contact outside of games than ever before. Many of these guys simply are not ready for the physical side of football. You have to have a certain amount of tackling and hitting the ground to get ready for the season. There is next to no hitting during the week anymore, and even preseason it's limited. These guys get hurt because they are not ready to perform.

You take 100 people with no training and go run a marathon and see what happens.
So you are saying that the NFL players just need to "toughen up"? Lol.

- Many of the ankle/knee injuries are related to getting hit in the leg with a foot planted on the ground. How does physical practice help with that?
- Some of the injuries are broken bones caused by hard hits. Are you saying that practice can make the bones harder?
- Concussions. Are you saying that more physical practices would help reduce brain trauma? Maybe practice can toughen up their brains?

You really need to think before you post.

When one very large man is running fast, and he smashes into another large, fast man, injuries are inevitable. Practicing harder will never fix that. And the players keep getting larger, stronger, faster. We love the sport, but these guys are basically gladiators. Smashing their teammates in practice would only add to the carnage.

I don't remember ever seeing so many concussions, TBH. It seems like a guy takes a decent hit and he's concussed anymore. Are they being told to play it safe? Or is the new helmet tech defective in some way? Players are starting to slim down a bit all over the field, so it's not like players are simply bigger/faster/stronger than they were 15-20 years ago.

So you are saying that the NFL players just need to "toughen up"? Lol.

- Many of the ankle/knee injuries are related to getting hit in the leg with a foot planted on the ground. How does physical practice help with that?
- Some of the injuries are broken bones caused by hard hits. Are you saying that practice can make the bones harder?
- Concussions. Are you saying that more physical practices would help reduce brain trauma? Maybe practice can toughen up their brains?

You really need to think before you post.

When one very large man is running fast, and he smashes into another large, fast man, injuries are inevitable. Practicing harder will never fix that. And the players keep getting larger, stronger, faster. We love the sport, but these guys are basically gladiators. Smashing their teammates in practice would only add to the carnage.
You call it "toughen up" I call it better training. Today in sports, we supposedly have the best athletes, the best trainers, lifting, nutrition...why then are we inodiated in all sports with injuries?? I certainly understand concussions are real and we simply have much more awareness of them now more than ever. But a couple of simple things on concussions, why aren't NFL players required to wear mouthguards? That limits concussions. Also, we've seen guys like CJ Stroud and Tua get their heads slammed back into the turf for their concussions. Anyone that played football knows everyday in practice you did neck stretches and strengthening, now they even incorporate weights too. So how are these guys not able to stop their heads from being slammed back? One last thing on concussions, why do helmets pop off so easy now? Again, I know when I played, my helmet was not coming off. It was so tight, and then with the chinstrap it was snug and not budging.

And you use the terms "some" and "many" in your arguments...that's not all. Yes, of course you're going to have "normal" injuries that have no rationale for practice time or hard hits. Please be at least a little understanding of what's being discussed.
If you could drop the NFL injury rate by say, 15-20%, that would be huge. There is no doubt that the less practices and contact in practice that was negotiated in the last CBA has had a dramatic negative impact on player injuries. Players are simply not football ready for the season to start.

I don't remember ever seeing so many concussions, TBH. It seems like a guy takes a decent hit and he's concussed anymore. Are they being told to play it safe? Or is the new helmet tech defective in some way? Players are starting to slim down a bit all over the field, so it's not like players are simply bigger/faster/stronger than they were 15-20 years ago.
Bingo, and supposedly helmet technology is as good as ever?? The NFL is scared to death of future lawsuits from former players. I'm not sure how or why it ever happened that football players were not aware that the sport was dangerous?? My guess is they are just chasing the money. But still, the fear of concussions is so prevalent now.
We've had significant rules changes to ban targeting and unnecessary hits, but do we really see much of a difference? I know to me I still see alot of dangerous hits weekly, many go unnoticed. I did see the guy from the Steelers was suspended without pay the rest of the season for the hit on the Colts reciever Saturday. That's what you have to do. Many of these guys simply don't get it and continue to make dangerous plays.

Going back to the original post, one thing I do feel that has contributed is the smaller shoulder pads. Remember the Eddie George style shoulder pads, big and thick. Look at todays' players, especially DB's. ONe reason these guys can deliver such hard hits is they have very little equipment on, makes them faster. Should pads were designed to not only protect the players shoulders, but other players as well.

You call it "toughen up" I call it better training. Today in sports, we supposedly have the best athletes, the best trainers, lifting, nutrition...why then are we inodiated in all sports with injuries?? I certainly understand concussions are real and we simply have much more awareness of them now more than ever. But a couple of simple things on concussions, why aren't NFL players required to wear mouthguards? That limits concussions. Also, we've seen guys like CJ Stroud and Tua get their heads slammed back into the turf for their concussions. Anyone that played football knows everyday in practice you did neck stretches and strengthening, now they even incorporate weights too. So how are these guys not able to stop their heads from being slammed back? One last thing on concussions, why do helmets pop off so easy now? Again, I know when I played, my helmet was not coming off. It was so tight, and then with the chinstrap it was snug and not budging.

And you use the terms "some" and "many" in your arguments...that's not all. Yes, of course you're going to have "normal" injuries that have no rationale for practice time or hard hits. Please be at least a little understanding of what's being discussed.
If you could drop the NFL injury rate by say, 15-20%, that would be huge. There is no doubt that the less practices and contact in practice that was negotiated in the last CBA has had a dramatic negative impact on player injuries. Players are simply not football ready for the season to start.
The teams still do crazy amounts of stretching and strength training, including their necks. Probably more than ever.

Of course I say "some" and "many", because I'm not foolish enough to say "all" or "never" when debating. But the simple fact is this - if you are playing "real football" in practice, you will get more real injuries. More occurrences of a lineman getting his leg rolled up on by a falling teammate or pass rusher. More occurrences of an RB or WR getting his leg hit while he is planting for a cut. More QBs hitting their throwing hand on a pass rushers helmet or shoulder. More concussions from big hits. It is football. It is a game of collisions. Doing more of the real football activities that cause the collisions will not reduce the number injuries. Its illogical.

The teams still do crazy amounts of stretching and strength training, including their necks. Probably more than ever.

Of course I say "some" and "many", because I'm not foolish enough to say "all" or "never" when debating. But the simple fact is this - if you are playing "real football" in practice, you will get more real injuries. More occurrences of a lineman getting his leg rolled up on by a falling teammate or pass rusher. More occurrences of an RB or WR getting his leg hit while he is planting for a cut. More QBs hitting their throwing hand on a pass rushers helmet or shoulder. More concussions from big hits. It is football. It is a game of collisions. Doing more of the real football activities that cause the collisions will not reduce the number injuries. Its illogical.
Ok, so the answer is to do less, and less, then go 100 MPH on Sundays??? Again...follow along. Pitchers don't rest all spring and throw 100 pitches in their first outing, that's insane. You start building up to it and condition your body for it. My point is there is such little contact by today's football players ( and it's all the way down to high schools) that more injuries are bound to happen.
Hey, here's an idea, maybe more time needs to be spent in practice teaching guys how to not hit illegally, and for guys to protect themselves from hits??? It's so backwards now because guys are simply not going all out in practice because they don't want to get hurt and miss their payday. It's really become as simple as that.

Where did you hear a 20 game regular season? This won’t happen in the next 15-20 years and most likely won’t happen.

Could the season get spread out from Labor Day to the End of February - we are almost there right now. 18 games with 2 byes is the next logical step. Teams will most likely get one of their byes after an overseas game.

I do agree that roster sizes increasing will happen, most likely at the next Labor discussions.

Where did you hear a 20 game regular season? This won’t happen in the next 15-20 years and most likely won’t happen.

Could the season get spread out from Labor Day to the End of February - we are almost there right now. 18 games with 2 byes is the next logical step. Teams will most likely get one of their byes after an overseas game.

I do agree that roster sizes increasing will happen, most likely at the next Labor discussions.
Sorry, I meant to say 18 regular season games. 20 if you count preseason.

Sorry, I meant to say 18 regular season games. 20 if you count preseason.

You are 100% correct, just a matter of time before they go to 18 games w/ 2 preseason games, 2 bye weeks and 1 required international game every year or every other year.

Betting was the most recent bump for the NFL, the next bump will come from outside the US.

Ok, so the answer is to do less, and less, then go 100 MPH on Sundays??? Again...follow along. Pitchers don't rest all spring and throw 100 pitches in their first outing, that's insane. You start building up to it and condition your body for it. My point is there is such little contact by today's football players ( and it's all the way down to high schools) that more injuries are bound to happen.
Hey, here's an idea, maybe more time needs to be spent in practice teaching guys how to not hit illegally, and for guys to protect themselves from hits??? It's so backwards now because guys are simply not going all out in practice because they don't want to get hurt and miss their payday. It's really become as simple as that.
Pitching and running marathons are the two things you used to compare. And of course you are right, you need to build up your body and build up durability for those two things, and many other sports activities. Repetition during training is needed, the more the better.

Football is not like them. All the stretching, building up strength, and practice reps will not prevent most of the injuries I detailed above. By its very nature, playing football causes violent collisions. More full speed practice reps = more violent collisions = more injuries. Can't you see that?

I think they are faster. Probably not stronger or bigger. My biggest beef is the silly protective gear is designed to be efficient and light weight, emphasizing the light weight. IMO, it is time to create more safety by slowing down the players. Bigger shoulder pads, wearing knee pads over their knees. I see football players practicing with rubber caps over their helmets. Why are these not required in games for full-game speed? I would also make every player wear a knee brace that is used by players AFTER they tear their ACL. Those would prevent alot of injuries but they come at the cost of speed and agility. If everyone wore them, there would be no advantage.

One last question I have about the NFL, why are kickers/punters so much stronger than in the past? Is it just weight training or have they changed the ball (pressure)? Seeing that the top 31 punters of all time have all played their entire careers since 2000 seems a little strange.

I think they are faster. Probably not stronger or bigger. My biggest beef is the silly protective gear is designed to be efficient and light weight, emphasizing the light weight. IMO, it is time to create more safety by slowing down the players. Bigger shoulder pads, wearing knee pads over their knees. I see football players practicing with rubber caps over their helmets. Why are these not required in games for full-game speed? I would also make every player wear a knee brace that is used by players AFTER they tear their ACL. Those would prevent alot of injuries but they come at the cost of speed and agility. If everyone wore them, there would be no advantage.

One last question I have about the NFL, why are kickers/punters so much stronger than in the past? Is it just weight training or have they changed the ball (pressure)? Seeing that the top 31 punters of all time have all played their entire careers since 2000 seems a little strange.

I do not agree with either of you. Players/humans continue to get bigger, stronger, faster. With increased velocity equals higher impact collisions. Maybe there isn’t much of a change in players from 10 years ago but look no further than the Fox NFL pregame show: Gronk is significantly bigger than Michael Streyhan & Howe Long.

Several concussions occur with the helmet hitting the ground (CJ Stroud’s concussions from 2 weeks ago). A lot of the helmet technology has come from NASCAR and the auto industry. Every player wearing a brace - I recall the OSU oline use to all wear knee braces. One can not put a govenor on the players to try & slow them down.

As for the punters, yes they are bigger, stronger, faster, better athletes and now they specialize at a much earlier age. Look at Pat Macafee, he’s bigger than most linebackers. The technique has improved, how they drop the ball. Punters are very good at have the ball bounce back so the punt team can down the ball. Remember how punters use to try ‘coffin corner’ punts? Ray Guy was good at it but most were not. In college there are several Australian rugby kickers, the guys who run sideways and then kick it.

Field goal kickers - it’s not even close in distance & accuracy. When is the last time you say a straight on kicker at a D1 college or NFL team? I bet it’s been 30+ years when the NFL last had a straight on fg kicker.

I agree, players are almost certainly stronger than in the past. Training is much more advanced than 15 or 20 years ago.

Same thing with punters and kickers. I doubt in the 70s or 80s, you’d ever see a kicker in the weight room. Now, they’re so much more athletic than they ever were before.

Players are not faster or stronger. Combine numbers have been pretty consistent since the early 2000s at least.

Players are not faster or stronger. Combine numbers have been pretty consistent since the early 2000s at least.

Your comment seemed absolutely way off when I read it so I took about 3 minutes to check the NFL combine results for the 40 yard dash. Per Pro-Football-Reference.com

In 2000 NFL combine….
+ 0 ran under 4.30
+ 3 ran under 4.40
+ 28 ran under 4.50

In 2005 NFL Combine…
+ 0 ran under 4.30
+ 16 ran under 4.40
+ 46 ran under 4.50

In 2010 NFL combine….
+ 0 ran under 4.30
+ 18 ran under 4.40
+ 55 ran under 4.50

In 2015 NFL combine…
+ 1 ran under 4.30
+ 10 ran under 4.40
+ 53 ran under 4.50

In 2020 NFL Combine…
+ 1 ran under 4.30
+ 13 ran under 4.40
+ 56 ran under 4.50

In 2022 NFL Combine…
+ 3 ran under 4.30
+ 31 ran under 4.40
+ 67 ran under 4.50

In 2023 NFL Combine…
+ 1 ran under 4.30
+ 17 ran under 4.40
+ 63 ran under 4.50

The site has each players height, weight, bench press, vertical, etc. As a whole it looks like players are only getting bigger, faster, stronger. Regarding the 40, it’s not so much the number of guys running faster than a 4.40 but those running under 4.50. A lot of these guys in the 4.40 to 4.50 range are OLB, TE, LB - just big guys. Guys running 4.50 or faster has basically doubled since 2000.

I do agree it appears there are fewer big & fat players; not as many 335+ type of guys but I think that’s in part because it’s more of a passing league now.

Your comment seemed absolutely way off when I read it so I took about 3 minutes to check the NFL combine results for the 40 yard dash. Per Pro-Football-Reference.com

In 2000 NFL combine….
+ 0 ran under 4.30
+ 3 ran under 4.40
+ 28 ran under 4.50

In 2005 NFL Combine…
+ 0 ran under 4.30
+ 16 ran under 4.40
+ 46 ran under 4.50

In 2010 NFL combine….
+ 0 ran under 4.30
+ 18 ran under 4.40
+ 55 ran under 4.50

In 2015 NFL combine…
+ 1 ran under 4.30
+ 10 ran under 4.40
+ 53 ran under 4.50

In 2020 NFL Combine…
+ 1 ran under 4.30
+ 13 ran under 4.40
+ 56 ran under 4.50

In 2022 NFL Combine…
+ 3 ran under 4.30
+ 31 ran under 4.40
+ 67 ran under 4.50

In 2023 NFL Combine…
+ 1 ran under 4.30
+ 17 ran under 4.40
+ 63 ran under 4.50

The site has each players height, weight, bench press, vertical, etc. As a whole it looks like players are only getting bigger, faster, stronger. Regarding the 40, it’s not so much the number of guys running faster than a 4.40 but those running under 4.50. A lot of these guys in the 4.40 to 4.50 range are OLB, TE, LB - just big guys. Guys running 4.50 or faster has basically doubled since 2000.

I do agree it appears there are fewer big & fat players; not as many 335+ type of guys but I think that’s in part because it’s more of a passing league now.
Agreed - and the big difference is the quantity of faster guys. There used to be a few blazers, and everyone knew them, guys like Cliff Branch stuck out like a sore thumb. Now every team has 3-5 WRs and 3-5 DBs that run like Cliff Branch. And the big men are so much faster than they used to be. Back in the day a lineman running a 5.0 was a big deal. Now they almost all run like that. And the linebackers today run faster too.

Agreed - and the big difference is the quantity of faster guys. There used to be a few blazers, and everyone knew them, guys like Cliff Branch stuck out like a sore thumb. Now every team has 3-5 WRs and 3-5 DBs that run like Cliff Branch. And the big men are so much faster than they used to be. Back in the day a lineman running a 5.0 was a big deal. Now they almost all run like that. And the linebackers today run faster too.

It’s like that across sports. MLB pitching staffs use to have 1 maybe 2 guys who could throw 95+, now I would say almost 1/2 of teams pitching staffs can bring it at that speed.