General NFL Chat

That said, there is zero doubt in my mind the Bills were telling teams like the Panthers and Pats “we’re taking a WR at pick 32, we know which two we have interest in grabbing, it would be a shame if we drafted him when you could’ve bought him for a second day pick.”
Thinking this is what the Jets also tried to do. “It would be a shame if we drafted a QB to wait in the wings, come up with your best offers cc: Denver, LV, MIN, NO.”

Packers with a Spartacus move drafting the wrong lineman. Should’ve just grabbed Barton. Or, go get some meaningful talent off the OL in a division where the other three teams are getting into the arms race on young talent just like that.

Harbaugh being a troll drafting Joe Alt. Pretty cool that we know Rashawn Slater isn’t gonna get paid to stay in SoCal soon.

Jets had the right idea getting Olu. Titans crapped the bed going for Latham.

Bengals drafted Zed Key Becton. Sad times having to go back to the OL well, again, in a year where other positions of need between now and the next couple of years had dudes still on the board on day 1.

I’ll probably post this on the college board as well since it’s more appropriate there but just saw a tweet that 19 of the first 24 picks last night were either a 4* or 5* per 24/7 sports*.

* unable to verify/go beyond the first 24 picks as 24/7 recruit ranking database is down at the moment
* unsure if this is the 24/7 Composite or 24/7’s individual ranking

Jets had the right idea getting Olu. Titans crapped the bed going for Latham.

Bengals drafted Zed Key Becton. Sad times having to go back to the OL well, again, in a year where other positions of need between now and the next couple of years had dudes still on the board on day 1.
This keep signing - drafting (reaching) for tackles. Either trade up for a top a notch tackle Alt or Fashanu (sp) or sign one in FA like they did with Brown instead of tackles with injury issues.

Edit: Referring to Orlando Brown

Last edited:
Year after year, I'm convinced many of these NFL GMs and front office people have no idea what they are doing. It's been determined that NFL QB is probably one of the most important positions in all of sports, and yet teams draft guys who have no possibility of success. Even if you have a QB who may pan out, if you don't have an offensive line that can protect him, he's not going to succeed. Most NFL teams who don't win have sub par offensive lines, and yet when they draft, they draft in a position where that person can't protect himself. A great offensive line can make a mediocre QB good, and a good QB great.

Year after year, I'm convinced many of these NFL GMs and front office people have no idea what they are doing. It's been determined that NFL QB is probably one of the most important positions in all of sports, and yet teams draft guys who have no possibility of success. Even if you have a QB who may pan out, if you don't have an offensive line that can protect him, he's not going to succeed. Most NFL teams who don't win have sub par offensive lines, and yet when they draft, they draft in a position where that person can't protect himself. A great offensive line can make a mediocre QB good, and a good QB great.
I know many of them don’t know what they are doing. When Phil Savage was with the Browns for two years I had his email address and the night before the draft I would email my choice of who the Browns should take with their first round pick. One of the years I emailed either Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware. They took Braylon Edwards. The other year I emailed Haloti Ngata. They took Kamerion Wimberley. I had no great insight other than watching these guys play college games and in the Senior Bowl. It was obvious who could play and who the Browns needed. They drew different conclusions with all of their resources and research. The point is, most of them just get lucky on the players that pan out and they almost all overthink the draft process.

I know many of them don’t know what they are doing. When Phil Savage was with the Browns for two years I had his email address and the night before the draft I would email my choice of who the Browns should take with their first round pick. One of the years I emailed either Shawn Merriman or DeMarcus Ware. They took Braylon Edwards. The other year I emailed Haloti Ngata. They took Kamerion Wimberley. I had no great insight other than watching these guys play college games and in the Senior Bowl. It was obvious who could play and who the Browns needed. They drew different conclusions with all of their resources and research. The point is, most of them just get lucky on the players that pan out and they almost all overthink the draft process.
I think if you just take the best player available in about 90% of the picks, you'll be just fine.

I think if you just take the best player available in about 90% of the picks, you'll be just fine.

That’s the best way to do it. Fill holes in free agency so that in the draft you don’t have to draft for need and just take the best players available.

That’s the best way to do it. Fill holes in free agency so that in the draft you don’t have to draft for need and just take the best players available.
don't draft for depth though. lol. none of the starters are going to get hurt.

jtk
()

The horizon for the NFL is about 6 months. It seems like teams over think their personnel and change half their roster each season.

Not a surprise at all. Older white males are a dying breed on our TV's. I'm not sure Matt Ryan pops the needle, but he's at least a QB that fans under 40 can relate to. My guess is Bill Cowher is in the on deck circle.

Or could it be that:
* Simms and Esiason are 30 years past their playing days.
* Median age in the US is approximate 38.8.
* CBS’s NFL Today ratings were down, I believe they are behind Fox & ESPN pregame shows.

Maybe CBS wants to try and get someone relevant and with some name recognition to over 1/2 of the US population.

Or could it be that:
* Simms and Esiason are 30 years past their playing days.
* Median age in the US is approximate 38.8.
* CBS’s NFL Today ratings were down, I believe they are behind Fox & ESPN pregame shows.

Maybe CBS wants to try and get someone relevant and with some name recognition to over 1/2 of the US population.
You are probably 1000% correct. If Cowher didn't coach the Steelers, he'd probably be done. Most people under 40 may not even realize Simms and Esiason played football. I grew up in the 70's/ 80's. Irv Cross was that guy for me. I never saw Irv Cross play football, didn't know much about him.
To your point, do people even watch the pregame shows anymore? My thought is the younger crowd doesn't watch those shows, they follow games on their phones and stat trackers.
Any shot CBS adds a female to the group?

You are probably 1000% correct. If Cowher didn't coach the Steelers, he'd probably be done. Most people under 40 may not even realize Simms and Esiason played football. I grew up in the 70's/ 80's. Irv Cross was that guy for me. I never saw Irv Cross play football, didn't know much about him.
To your point, do people even watch the pregame shows anymore? My thought is the younger crowd doesn't watch those shows, they follow games on their phones and stat trackers.

Good question regarding the demographics of who watches the pregame shows - I do not know. I believe you are correct regarding Cower, the Steeler fan base has probably kept him employed for 5-10 years longer than most firmer head coaches in his analysis role. Look at former Cowboy players as national broadcasters: Aikman, Romo, former announced Jason Witten (who was terrible). Or former Ohio State football players on tv/radio: a few years ago I counted over 25 firmer Buckeyes on tv/radio.

I just don’t have time for the pregame shows anymore but I watch as many NFL games as I can. I use to love watching the Fox pregame show when they had Jillian Barberie as the “weather girl”. Sexy helps ratings.

Good question regarding the demographics of who watches the pregame shows - I do not know. I believe you are correct regarding Cower, the Steeler fan base has probably kept him employed for 5-10 years longer than most firmer head coaches in his analysis role. Look at former Cowboy players as national broadcasters: Aikman, Romo, former announced Jason Witten (who was terrible). Or former Ohio State football players on tv/radio: a few years ago I counted over 25 firmer Buckeyes on tv/radio.

I just don’t have time for the pregame shows anymore but I watch as many NFL games as I can. I use to love watching the Fox pregame show when they had Jillian Barberie as the “weather girl”. Sexy helps ratings.
I guess that's what surprises me about the CBS move. I mean guys my age, over 55 watch TV and watch alot. You'd think guys older people can relate to would make ratings better, not worse.
Again, having girls on isn't something groundbreaking, CBS had their pregame show with a young Brent Musburger, Irv Cross and Phyllis George a former Ms. America as a football pregame host and to my knowledge, had no football background. 3 years later she was replaced by Jayne Kennedy, a black female, so this has been going on for decades. Oddly though once those threw went through, the networks have pretty much stuck with guys. ESPN always has some females, like Sam Ponder now. No doubt about the Cowboy emphasis.

I don’t watch pregame shows. I turn the TV on at 1 pm on Sundays. Walk away and do something else at halftime.