Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 06-28-05, 03:30 PM
All Yappi

Ridiculous (My Critique) - Scout's National Top 100

I am all for Ohio players but they had 12 players on their pre-season National Top 100 list. That is just silly. I think it shows a clear bias especially among the midwestern analysts who are Duane Long and Chris Pool and some other guy I have never heard of.

Out of the Top 100 Ohio guys who made the list I think these are the ones who are deserving:

1. Connor Smith
2. Justin Boren
3. Thad Gibson
4. Lee Tilley
5. Aaron Brown
6. Cobrani Mixon

I would consider these borderline guys (Could be Top 100 or Not):
1. Ray Small
2. Jeff Cumberland

How these guys made the Top 100 list baffles me:
1. Ross Homan
2. Josh Chichester
3. Jake Ballard
4. Kurt Coleman (Probably the best of the 4 but he isnt on the same level as some other safeties out there)

Just my opinion on things! Some of the national names Scout forgot about is laughable!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-05, 07:14 PM
All American

Don,

Why do you think Ross Homan should not be in the top 100?
Old 06-28-05, 07:17 PM
All Yappi

He ran a 4.91 40 when I saw him at the MLS combine and athletically he just isnt even close to being on the same level as Mixon and Gibson. I was just not overly impressed with him. I'd say he's a D-1 prospect but definitely not on the AJ Hawk level like some seem to think.
Old 06-28-05, 07:48 PM
All American

I think Homan is better than Cobrani Mixon.
Old 06-28-05, 07:51 PM
All American

K.Coleman, Ray Small, Jeff Cumberland and Rob Rose and Tony Reed deserve it more than Mixon not taking anything away from him becuase he is a pretty good LB
Old 06-28-05, 08:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally posted by raider2009
I think Homan is better than Cobrani Mixon.
Not even close. Mixon is Quicker, Faster, Bigger, and played against much much better competition.
Old 06-28-05, 08:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
K.Coleman, Ray Small, Jeff Cumberland and Rob Rose and Tony Reed deserve it more than Mixon not taking anything away from him becuase he is a pretty good LB
Why because he's going to Michigan? LOL I cant stand Michigan, but that isn't going to affect my opinion of him as a player. He is an absolute stud. I'd take him over Homan without any hesitation...
Old 06-28-05, 08:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I will agree with you on one thing. Antonio Reed not being on any of these lists is ridiculous. He is a serious talent!! Whoever lands him is going to be getting a real steal...
Old 06-29-05, 07:52 AM
Colerain Booster

Send a message via AIM to Honor&Glory
In all objectivity, Mixon would be a much higher prospect if he had not hurt his knee last year. That injury, alone, is what delayed several schools (OSU and Michigan) from offering him in Feb. Mixon ran a 4.6 at Michigan camp last week and he still says his knee is only about 80% of where he was before he was hurt and running 4.5...

Mixon's frame is unbelievable. He is going to wind up in the 6-3 245 lbs range...every 'measurable' that you want to compare Mixon to Homan...Mixon wins. Also, keep in mind that the numbers Mixon put up last year were done so with one leg and he missed like six games.

Honestly, I can't put my finger on it...the Buckeye boards love Homan...I am a buckeye fan to the death....but Mixon is better and I'd rather have him.

I really don't want to sound disparaging towards Homan, because that is not what this forum is about...But I just don't see the comparrison between the two. Mixon is just that much better with better size potential for his frame.
Old 06-29-05, 08:39 AM
All American

Ross Homan reminds me of Chris Spielman and Andy Katzenmoyer and he just a ball hawk adn he can put a hittin on you. Have any of you seen any video of Ross Homan. But if Mixon goes Michigan, OSU can get Jeremiha Hunter and Micah Johnson as Fullback/Linebacker.
Old 06-29-05, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Ross Homan reminds me of Chris Spielman and Andy Katzenmoyer and he just a ball hawk adn he can put a hittin on you.
Old 06-29-05, 10:55 AM
Colerain Booster

Quote:
Ross Homan reminds me of Chris Spielman and Andy Katzenmoyer and he just a ball hawk adn he can put a hittin on you. Have any of you seen any video of Ross Homan. But if Mixon goes Michigan, OSU can get Jeremiha Hunter and Micah Johnson as Fullback/Linebacker.
You are kidding, right? Spielman was a spectacular athlete coming out of Massillon...he was on a freakin Wheaties box, for pete's sake....! Homan ran a 4.9 40???? Katz was a wee bit fast then that...for the love of God, man...Colerain has LINEMEN that run faster then 4.9...
Old 06-29-05, 10:57 AM
All Region

I love to see local guys do well, but I thought well over a tenth of the list is a bit extreme.
Old 06-29-05, 11:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally posted by scooper
I love to see local guys do well, but I thought well over a tenth of the list is a bit extreme.
I would agree. As I said earlier, I really think 6-7 of these guys were very deserving of their National Top 100 ranking. But 12-13 from one state is just ridiculous, especially after having seen some of the guys on this list, in person a few times. I'm thinking Scout has a real tough time of evaluating talent or they just simply forgot to evaluate players in half the states this year...
Old 06-29-05, 12:51 PM
U.S. American

People quoting 40 times is getting ridiculous. I could post half a dozen articles about how unreliable 40 times are (especially in recruiting cirles) and for the most part, hyper-inflated.

Secondly, how often does a LB ever have to run 40 yards?
Old 06-29-05, 01:02 PM
Colerain Booster

Quote:
Originally posted by sehs95

Secondly, how often does a LB ever have to run 40 yards?
when you run a 4.9 you probably have to run 40 yards a lot because you can't catch the ball carrier.

Look, are 40 times overrated? probably...but a LB that slow is probably going to be, by FAR, the slowest LB in the Big 10...which means he won't be able to cover backs out of the backfield and would be limited to goal line and short yardage situations...which invite play action...LB's today have to faster...and should, at least, be faster then offensive linemen.
Old 06-29-05, 01:07 PM
All Yappi

This is what I have on Homan...

MSL Combine:
Combine Location: Cincinnati
Height: 6-0
Weight: 232
40-Yard Dash: 4.93
Short Shuttle: 4.45
Vertical Jump: 27.5"
Figure 8: 7.59
Long Jump: 7-11
Angle Drive: 11.57
Long Shuttle: 12.53

Again I consider the guy a legit D-1 prospect and he's a good player, but I dont consider him a National Top 100 caliber player, which I consider to belong to the Elite, cant miss type of prospects...
Old 06-29-05, 03:25 PM
All American

But he ran a 4.55 at the OSU camp and a 4.65 at the Akron Combine
Old 06-29-05, 04:50 PM
All District

Quote:

Give me a break. Homan is no where near those two. Also, OSU won't land Hunter or Johnson.
Old 06-29-05, 07:03 PM
All American

i can personally confirm that ross homan ran a 4.5 at osu's camp. the kid has over 500 tackles and still has another year left to play. i love 40 times and highlight films as much as the next guy but this kid can flat out play.
Old 06-29-05, 07:34 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally posted by makeit8
Give me a break. Homan is no where near those two. Also, OSU won't land Hunter or Johnson.
Do yuo want to make a bet. They will land them if Mixon goes to the school up north. They are in both of those players top 5.
Old 06-29-05, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

Hunter will end up at Penn State, Florida, or Tennessee.

Micah Johnson will end up at Kentucky or Georgia.

As for Homan, I will trust an electronically timed 40 much more than a hand held 40, you know he's going to get a low time as OSU's camp considering he was already committed there... LOL
Old 06-30-05, 08:00 AM
All American

Ohio State is in his top 3 with Michigan and Georgia and all 3 teams lead. Jeremiha Hunter liking OSU more and more and will stay in the big ten. With Mixon most likely going to Michigan that guves my buckeyes an advantage on both of them.
Old 06-30-05, 03:32 PM
All District

Hunter was supposed to stop by the football office at Manheim Central a few weeks back(He has transferred to Harrisburg since then). Charlie Weis came to the school to express interest.Jeremiah blew him off and was a no show.Claimed he overslept(10 am on a school day).PSU is a player in his decision making,but I think he is leaning to the Buckeyes. I am interviewing his new coach (George Chaump ex OSU ast.and Marshall U head coach during Big 33 week) and will check on Hunter. This is his third school,and that has people questioning whether he is a good citizen or not.
Old 06-30-05, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

I've heard Hunter has serious grade issues...
Old 07-01-05, 12:06 AM
All District

I will talk to some folks from Manheim Central about that.He has Dad problems.Dad has been on all three coaching staffs.I don`t know if the kid is stable enough to make it in college.He left one of the best programs in the commonwealth(MC),and the scuttlebutt is addition by subtraction. That being said,Penn State is all over him.
Old 07-05-05, 01:23 PM
All Yappi

Don:

You forgot to put Chris Wells on your orginal post.

I agree with your take on Ross Homan. I see him projecting to be a run stopping type LB who could be a serious liability on pass situations. Could be a great special teams guy but not even top 200. I actually think that Josh Chichester has some serious upside and if he gets with the program after a red shirt year he can be a good slot or red zone type WR. Top 100 this year, no, more of an impact then Mixon in 3-4 years, quite possibly yes. Could also make a living blocking opposing PAT/FG attempts
Old 07-05-05, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally posted by Auggie
Don:

You forgot to put Chris Wells on your orginal post.

I agree with your take on Ross Homan. I see him projecting to be a run stopping type LB who could be a serious liability on pass situations. Could be a great special teams guy but not even top 200. I actually think that Josh Chichester has some serious upside and if he gets with the program after a red shirt year he can be a good slot or red zone type WR. Top 100 this year, no, more of an impact then Mixon in 3-4 years, quite possibly yes. Could also make a living blocking opposing PAT/FG attempts
Chris Wells definitely belongs in there. Definitely a mistake on my part...

For Chichester's sake I think he'd be better off to concentrate on one sport than playing both. If he does that then he can spend all off-season focusing on one main sport and quite possibly excel at it...
Old 07-05-05, 03:55 PM
U.S. American

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Flamenco
Hunter will end up at Penn State, Florida, or Tennessee.

Micah Johnson will end up at Kentucky or Georgia.

As for Homan, I will trust an electronically timed 40 much more than a hand held 40, you know he's going to get a low time as OSU's camp considering he was already committed there... LOL
So OSU knows he sucks but wants him because.....???? Does he have pictures of Tressel and Gene Smith in Lingerie?

BTW: Jason Gwaltney, who had OSU and USC fighting over him last year and was rated as a top 5 RB in the nation, ran an electronic 4.93, 4.94, 4.94, and 4.96 at the Army All-American combine last year. Lesean McCoy, who is the #1 rated RB this year, ran a 4.78, 4.72, 4,70, and 4.69 at the Army combine. He weighed in at 193 at the time. Freddie Lennix, who was considered one of the top 3 sprinters in Ohio this year, was running 4.55-4.6's.

So when you hear about kids running 4.29's and 4.4's it is complete BS. The fastest of the fast HS football players are running 4.5 flats. BJ Travers of Westlake had a USC offer and his 40 time was 4.8. At least when you see a 40 time like 4.8, you know it's legit. Unlike everyone who was talking about Thaddeus Gibson and his 4.3-- Which has now crept up to 4.5 or 4.6. Hmmm
Old 07-05-05, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally posted by sehs95
Unlike everyone who was talking about Thaddeus Gibson and his 4.3
Only the unknowledgable said this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: