Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-27-18, 01:03 PM
All American

roberto21 is on a distinguished road
Here is an article on the state of Liberty Schools in today's (Tuesday, 27 November 2018) Tribune Chronicle …. Page B-1

http://www.tribtoday.com/news/local-...h-retirements/
Old 11-27-18, 04:28 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbabycavalier View Post
What sense do it make for Fitch to be in a conference with all Division IV schools and they are Division I? Logistically being in a conference with teams that don't have wrestling, bowling, tennis teams is tough for an AD.
Fitch won't ever have it easy til they combine some of these tiny districts into bigger schools.

It's absurd how many tiny districts there are in this area. There should be maybe a dozen schools tops.
Old 11-27-18, 04:48 PM
All World

wghfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
Fitch won't ever have it easy til they combine some of these tiny districts into bigger schools.

It's absurd how many tiny districts there are in this area. There should be maybe a dozen schools tops.
Most of the schools in our valley are all D4 to D7. Only a handful of D1 to D3 anymore. With GM shutting down, it is even going to get worse.
Old 11-27-18, 05:08 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Mahoning County really should have about 10 high schools at mosr. Lowellville, Campbell and Struthers as one. Poland, Springfield as one. Canfield and South Range as another. Boardman. West Branch, Sebring and Western Reserve as another. Austintown and Jackson-Milton as another. East. Chaney.
Maybe keep Canfield and SR separate. Still all fairly close and compact. But the system of how schools are created and funded will never allow it.
Old 11-27-18, 06:39 PM
All World

Buckeye Elite is on a distinguished road
I would say around 12-15 teams. I think schools D5 and up should join other schools but Struthers/Poland/Canfield/Fitch/WB/Salem should all be their own school. I agree Campbell/lowellville should merge, east/Chaney really wouldn’t change much as it didn’t before.
Old 11-27-18, 06:55 PM
All Ohio

Joe Bernastat
Liberty has scheduled Ursuline for 2020.
Old 11-28-18, 07:57 PM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post

Agreed x100. This area is ridiculous when it comes to town-specific schools and not being open to progressive ideas which make sense and save $.

Mahoning County could easily be 1 countywide district split into Youngstown HS and 4 other high schools in suburbs. Each school still would not be ridiculously large - maybe 500-600 per graduating class and realistically shrinking.

The high schools and facilities could all be new and state of the art. Also every school would be able to have the full offering of academic courses, music programs, extracurriculars, etc.
Old 11-28-18, 09:41 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernastat View Post

Interesting move on both sides. Ursuline a d 4 and liberty and 6. Liberty hasn’t had a lot of luck playing up recently with Struthers so why take on a private d 4? Ursuline is a sleeping giant with the right coach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-18, 08:02 AM
All District

DahBeast is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernastat View Post
Where can this be seen?
Old 11-29-18, 08:34 AM
All Ohio

ts1227 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to ts1227
New Youngstown League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
Mahoning County really should have about 10 high schools at mosr. Lowellville, Campbell and Struthers as one. Poland, Springfield as one. Canfield and South Range as another. Boardman. West Branch, Sebring and Western Reserve as another. Austintown and Jackson-Milton as another. East. Chaney.
Maybe keep Canfield and SR separate. Still all fairly close and compact. But the system of how schools are created and funded will never allow it.

Columbiana County has in the teens, 13 I believe if you count ones partially in the county (WB, Minerva). Only 3 of those schools are D4 (those are the largest completely in the county, WB is D3 and Minerva D4 as well) and the rest are mostly D6 or D7. It should be half that at most. They looked at it like 10 years ago but it went nowhere.

Last edited by ts1227; 11-29-18 at 08:55 AM.
Old 11-29-18, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Interesting move on both sides. Ursuline a d 4 and liberty and 6. Liberty hasn’t had a lot of luck playing up recently with Struthers so why take on a private d 4? Ursuline is a sleeping giant with the right coach.

UHS is basically a D5 heading towards a D6

If Competitive balance had anything to do with football success, they would be D5 already
Old 11-29-18, 05:34 PM
All World

sportster4321 is on a distinguished road
Not sure if it was mentioned but Micky Sikora to once again be the HC at Campbell. Good move by the Red Devils imo. Micky was part of the most recent successful run at Campbell including a playoff berth or two.
Old 11-29-18, 06:04 PM
All American

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelValley View Post
Mahoning County could easily be 1 countywide district split into Youngstown HS and 4 other high schools in suburbs. Each school still would not be ridiculously large - maybe 500-600 per graduating class and realistically shrinking.
I think 5 high schools would be one or two too few. That would give you an enrollment of at least 3,000 students per school. Plus you would fix one problem and cause another.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 11-29-18, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned but Micky Sikora to once again be the HC at Campbell. Good move by the Red Devils imo. Micky was part of the most recent successful run at Campbell including a playoff berth or two.

He leeched onto Bayuks success. Completely lost his team at the end. Won’t be any better.

Old 11-29-18, 09:01 PM
All World

SteelValley
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
I think 5 high schools would be one or two too few. That would give you an enrollment of at least 3,000 students per school. Plus you would fix one problem and cause another.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
You would not be anywhere near those #’s. I think you are severely over estimating enrollments in Mahoning County. Boardman, Canfield and Poland could combine and it wouldn’t quite be 3,000 kids in the HS. Boardman is barely hitting 350 most years or is under.

I ran rough estimates based on combining schools and you’d be looking at graduating classes as follows:

WB, SR, Can = 560
Poland, Springfield and Lowellville= 360
Boardman and Struthers = 480
Austintown, Jackson-Milton, W Reserve= 530
Ytown and Campbell = 580

Above is just to give an idea on graduating classes. Not saying these would be perfect combinations. But probably “acceptable” ones to people in those communities minus Campbell likely.

But Let’s be real - it won’t happen because it’s going to be a nightmare to try to align “like” schools. Since there are a few districts on multiple sides of Boardman where people would be horrified to have their kids go to a school with over 5% minority enrollment.

So, instead we’ll all live in our bubbles here and continue to regress vs the rest of the state.
Old 11-29-18, 11:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportster4321 View Post
Didn’t he coach the defense at Lakeview this past season? That was terrible to say the least i
Old 11-30-18, 08:25 AM
All Region

Devilone is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Elite View Post
Didn’t he coach the defense at Lakeview this past season? That was terrible to say the least i
Mickey is a great coach and brings a ton of experienced assistants along with him.
Old 11-30-18, 04:04 PM
All World

I could be wrong, but I don’t see him lasting over 3 years this tenure, a culture change is needed and I don’t think he’s one to bring it and sustain it