Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-09-17, 12:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Division IV Poll (Week 7)

1 Steubenville (Steubenville) (7-0) (234) [19]
2 Clinton-Massie (Clarksville) (7-0) (203) [3]
3 Valley View (Germantown) (7-0) (178) [3]
4 Perry (Perry) (7-0) (130)
5 Poland Seminary (Poland) (7-0) (128)
6 Wyoming (Cincinnati) (7-0) (97)
7 Shelby (Shelby) (7-0) (90)
8 Clear Fork (Bellville) (7-0) (69)
9 Licking Valley (Newark) (7-0) (40)
10 Cardinal Mooney (Youngstown) (3-4) (38)

Others - Girard (Girard) (7-0), St Marys Memorial (St Marys) (6-1), London (London) (7-0), Indian Valley (Gnadenhutten) (7-0), Firelands (Oberlin) (7-0)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-17, 01:49 PM
All American

4cards is on a distinguished road
...Mooney, 10 in the poll and will miss the playoffs—probably finish 9th in region 13
Old 10-09-17, 02:03 PM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I think it is time to drop them from the rankings after 4 losses
Old 10-09-17, 05:27 PM
All Region

ferflog is on a distinguished road
I see where Shelby is undefeated again. Their QB is the real deal. Last year when we played them at Paul Brown word was that he was headed to NC State. But I saw where NC State landed another highly-touted QB from down South. Is the Shelby QB still going to matriculate there?
Old 10-09-17, 06:51 PM
All American

Old Stubber
I see probably one more loss for Mooney this year which will probably keep them out of the top 8 in region 13.
Old 10-09-17, 09:28 PM
Junior Varsity

candoattitude is on a distinguished road
Shelby QB has verballed to Minnesota
Old 10-09-17, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Hypothetically if a team played the top ten teams in the state and lost to them all by one point in overtime would you not rank them? Say they barely lost to like St X, St. Ed's and Iggy et al

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-17, 06:01 AM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Hypothetically if a team played the top ten teams in the state and lost to them all by one point in overtime would you not rank them? Say they barely lost to like St X, St. Ed's and Iggy et al

No. 0-10 record regardless of strength of schedule does not deserve a ranking. No Harbin points,,,,,no ranking. May have a great team but should look for a new AD that puts together a schedule that gives the team a chance to reach the playoffs.
Old 10-10-17, 08:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuska View Post
No. 0-10 record regardless of strength of schedule does not deserve a ranking. No Harbin points,,,,,no ranking. May have a great team but should look for a new AD that puts together a schedule that gives the team a chance to reach the playoffs.
First, I wasn't asking you. Second the purpose of the polls is to rank the best 10 teams in each division. The purpose is not to rank the 10 teams with the most Harbins or most likely to make the playoffs. If a D IV team such as Mooney hypothetically was 3-7 with with wins over St. Xavier, St. Ignatius and St. Edward and lost the other seven games to say Colerain, Whitmer, Pickerington North and Central, Centerville, Winton Woods, Anderson... then presuming all three teams they beat had 8 or 9 wins then this D IV team would most likely make the playoffs at 3-7. I don't like the idea of ranking teams who played 10 cupcakes and go 10-0 when they are completely unproven. I would rather rank a team such as Mooney who year in and year out plays one of if not the very toughest schedule in the state. Even if that means ranking a 5-5 team ahead of a 10-0 team. Or what if Mooney played say Steubenville, Poland and Perry and dominated them to give them their only losses and lost the rest of their games to great DI teams. Why penalize schools for playing a tough schedules and reward schools for scheduling cupcakes?

Old 10-10-17, 10:08 AM
All Ohio

IRLMN1999 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First, I wasn't asking you. Second the purpose of the polls is to rank the best 10 teams in each division. The purpose is not to rank the 10 teams with the most Harbins or most likely to make the playoffs. If a D IV team such as Mooney hypothetically was 3-7 with with wins over St. Xavier, St. Ignatius and St. Edward and lost the other seven games to say Colerain, Whitmer, Pickerington North and Central, Centerville, Winton Woods, Anderson... then presuming all three teams they beat had 8 or 9 wins then this D IV team would most likely make the playoffs at 3-7. I don't like the idea of ranking teams who played 10 cupcakes and go 10-0 when they are completely unproven. I would rather rank a team such as Mooney who year in and year out plays one of if not the very toughest schedule in the state. Even if that means ranking a 5-5 team ahead of a 10-0 team. Or what if Mooney played say Steubenville, Poland and Perry and dominated them to give them their only losses and lost the rest of their games to great DI teams. Why penalize schools for playing a tough schedules and reward schools for scheduling cupcakes?

Mooney’s only quality win was against Boardman, with wins over Boardman, a (1-6) Cleveland Heights team and a NY team along with their 3-4 losses to D3, not D1 teams is the reason people question why they are ranked. Those loses are not to D1 powerhouses. They are to D3 teams. And before you say something about how my team (VV) hasn’t played anyone, we have beaten 3 D3 teams who are in the playoff hunt. Win the games = deserve to be ranked. You shouldn’t get ranked because you held your own but still lost. Win the ballgame if you want to be ranked.
Old 10-10-17, 10:27 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRLMN1999 View Post
Mooney’s only quality win was against Boardman, with wins over Boardman, a (1-6) Cleveland Heights team and a NY team along with their 3-4 losses to D3, not D1 teams is the reason people question why they are ranked. Those loses are not to D1 powerhouses. They are to D3 teams. And before you say something about how my team (VV) hasn’t played anyone, we have beaten 3 D3 teams who are in the playoff hunt. Win the games = deserve to be ranked. You shouldn’t get ranked because you held your own but still lost. Win the ballgame if you want to be ranked.
It was a hypothetical situation not based on the actual situation that is why it is hypothetical.
The team doesn't have to be Mooney, it could be anyone. At the end of the day, I don't reward teams for playing 10 cupcakes.

Old 10-10-17, 10:58 AM
Fan of Eagle

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Quote:

It's a balancing act. A couple losses, yes, like Colerain, LaSalle, and Coldwater remaining near top of their divisions with 2 losses. You get into 4 loss territory not so sure. Only 10 spots available when you vote. In Mooney's case, the wins have not been very impressive either.
Old 10-10-17, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
It's a balancing act. A couple losses, yes, like Colerain, LaSalle, and Coldwater remaining near top of their divisions with 2 losses. You get into 4 loss territory not so sure. Only 10 spots available when you vote. In Mooney's case, the wins have not been very impressive either.
I definitely agree with what you are saying about Mooney for this year. But if a team actually played 10 schools that were considered by most people to be among the top 10 or 20 in the state then you would really have to think about it when ranking them.

Old 10-10-17, 12:10 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
First, I wasn't asking you.......
For some reason, I just loved that.

Well played
Old 10-10-17, 12:59 PM
All Region

valuska is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
For some reason, I just loved that.

Well played
Fact is he wasn't asking you either. I guess that was double well played'

Last edited by valuska; 10-10-17 at 02:20 PM.
Old 10-10-17, 09:51 PM
Varsity

57djr is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Didn't St X win the State a few years back after losing 4 or 5 regular season games?