Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Notices

Old 01-14-14, 08:27 PM
All Region

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
GWOC Baseball Outlook: 2014

Who are the players and teams to watch in the GWOC this year? Are their any dark horses flying below the radar this season?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-14, 09:57 PM
Freshman

Gapper is on a distinguished road
dude how many threads you going to start on the GWOC...lol
Old 01-14-14, 10:14 PM
All Yappi

wildcatharrison is on a distinguished road
Lol. At least one more.
Old 01-14-14, 10:15 PM
All American

TroyTrojan05 is on a distinguished road
Troy should actually be really good this year. They return most of their key guys from last year except their SS Cascaden. They have two aces in Zach Kendall and Ben Langdon. Some solid bats in Johnson, Moeller, and Magateaux. I think they will win the North although you can never count out Butler. I can tell you one thing. They will have the best pitching staff in the league.
Old 01-14-14, 11:19 PM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Sidney brings back quite a bit from last season including 4 or 5 players who were either 1st or 2nd team in the North. Should make an impact.
Old 01-15-14, 07:58 AM
Varsity

hotcorner94 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Sidney brings back quite a bit from last season including 4 or 5 players who were either 1st or 2nd team in the North. Should make an impact.
Not so fast, I am hearing Sidney lost the left side of the infield last week. Benshoff 3B (1st team North)to early graduation and Sharp SS to night school so he can work. Those are huge losses for the Jackets. Might be a sophomore and freshman kinda year. Still have Echols and Penley off the mound and both are good offensively.
Old 01-15-14, 08:58 AM
Freshman

blucat41 is on a distinguished road
who is the power in the central. Centerville & Northmont lost a lot of pitching
Old 01-15-14, 07:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
dude how many threads you going to start on the GWOC...lol
Accidentally locked the original so that's why the second one appeared. I apologize if I offended your sensibilities.
Old 01-15-14, 07:32 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucat41 View Post
who is the power in the central. Centerville & Northmont lost a lot of pitching
Both are strong programs each year and I full expect these two to be the top dawgs in the Central this year.
Old 01-15-14, 07:35 PM
All Region

The North is going to be a wild one this year. On paper it's definitely Troy's to lose, but Sidney will likely have a say in that. Butler has a lot of holes to fill so how new comers respond will be key. As for pitching Butler returns to some good arms so it will be interesting to see how things materialize. I look for this division to cannibalize itself this year.
Old 01-15-14, 08:00 PM
Freshman

GOFLYERS44 is on a distinguished road
Beavercreek will be a serious threat in the Central. They return most players off of a second place team. Their JV team also won the league last year. They have very strong Senior and Sophomore classes. I know several coaches have them pegged as the favorite in the Central this year.
Old 01-15-14, 09:07 PM
All District

HomeRunsNDunks is on a distinguished road
The North will be interesting. I'd say Butler and Troy will duke it out at the top, with Sidney, Greenville, and Piqua fighting it out for the 3-4-5.

Butler is always top notch. They return Mitch Gremling, probably the best 2016 in the area, who will lead them on the mound. They had a pretty good JV/Freshman team, and Coach Dues just always gets the job done.

Troy will battle with them for the top spot. With Zach Kendall, BG Signee, returning on the mound, they have the best pitcher in the GWOC North, and could give any pitcher in the GWOC a run for his money. They return Greg Johnson and Alex Magoteaux, two players that hit above .350 (Johnson above .400) Langdon is going to be the best #2 in the North, and Trenton Wood pitched very well towards the end of the season. They do have some arms in the sophomore class, and the JV team was pretty solid too. They'll be somewhat young but the top end talent is going to be enough. Sidney has Echols/Penley, and will have a lot of sophomores and freshman playing up again. Niswonger is quite the player and McNeal is solid, but won't be enough to push them over Troy or Butler. Greenville will have Nealiegh and Baumgardner, but they can't overcome everyone else. Piqua has Baumeister but the rest of the team is lackluster. I'd have the North Troy-Butler-Sidney-Greenville-Piqua-TWood
Old 01-16-14, 08:10 AM
Junior Varsity

foghat78 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcorner94 View Post
Not so fast, I am hearing Sidney lost the left side of the infield last week. Benshoff 3B (1st team North)to early graduation and Sharp SS to night school so he can work. Those are huge losses for the Jackets. Might be a sophomore and freshman kinda year. Still have Echols and Penley off the mound and both are good offensively.
Is this verified? What's this do to their team? If they lost Benshoff they lost their #5 in the order last year, on top of already losing their leadoff, and #4. They had another senior 1st teamer last year, not sure where he hit. Thats alot for a young team to lose.

Here's how I seeing it shake out

Butler (keep picking em until someone consistantly shows they can beat em)
Troy (Too much pitching)
Greenville(Alot of offense need defense and more pitching to compete for 1st)
Piqua (Competative but not enough of everything, will play sound baseball)
Sidney (if those losses are true they are playing a lot of inexperienced guys)
T-Wood (Do I need to go deeper?)
Old 01-16-14, 09:20 AM
Freshman

Burgdad64 is on a distinguished road
South predictions? Miamisburg should be very strong. Losing Butcher's bat will hurt, but he is the only true player they lost from last years squad. They have lots of great pitching and a lot of great bats. Miamisburg improved their coaching staff from last season which should also help. Lebanon will be tough again. I don't know about Springboro. From what I hear, they graduated a lot of talent last year.
Old 01-16-14, 12:45 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat78 View Post
Is this verified? What's this do to their team? If they lost Benshoff they lost their #5 in the order last year, on top of already losing their leadoff, and #4. They had another senior 1st teamer last year, not sure where he hit. Thats alot for a young team to lose.

Troy (Too much pitching)
Troy has actually played well against Butler over the last 6 or 7 years. They've probably won about the same amount of games or if not, pretty close to even. Troy also knocked them out of the playoffs 4 or 5 years ago. Butler is still the premier team in the North but Troy is knocking. Troy stinks in every other sport right now, but baseball is up and coming.
Old 01-16-14, 10:50 PM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat78 View Post

Troy (Too much pitching)
Yes its true but don't count Sidney out. They might struggle early but the should be ready by end of season. Look for Echols and Penley to have big seasons
Old 01-17-14, 09:55 AM
Junior Varsity

Lat I agree with you they will get better no doubt about it, and the losses will be less painful than the 10 or so run rules they went through a few years back. With the turn around they made last year the north can see Sidney has some good coaches that will get them better throughout the year. Young teams with no experience tend to make major strides throughout the year if you can keep there heads up.

I believe Troy will be good enough to win the north, but like I said I'll keep betting on Butler until someone else in the north shows they can consistantly knock them.
Old 01-17-14, 11:56 AM
Varsity

hotcorner94 is on a distinguished road
Troy has good pitching but Vandalia is like the New England Patriots. Just when you think they lost enough people to get get knocked off the top spot, you look around and realize they are still there.

Sidney will still be in games cause of the pitching of Echols and Penley. They problem will be if they have to go to the bullpen?? There is a lot of questions there. Also offensively I expect Echols and Penley to be pitched around until someone steps up in the line up to protect those guys. We will see but I do expect Sidney to compete but I see Vandalia and Troy on paper as the front runners. I like Echols and Penley vs Piqua and Greenville hitters. Watch out for Trotwood.

Just kidding
Old 01-17-14, 12:00 PM
All American

Thats cold They do kick our butt in every other sport so I guess its okay to have a little jab at them.
Old 01-17-14, 12:28 PM
All American

UcantCatchMe is on a distinguished road
Still cant believe whats going on with my Warriors. Maybe we will hire the tennis coach in the next few years.....why not?
Old 01-17-14, 07:33 PM
Varsity

bulldog424101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
Still cant believe whats going on with my Warriors. Maybe we will hire the tennis coach in the next few years.....why not?
Give coach Yount a chance!! He is working hard to change the program into a winning one. You need dedicated kids that want to work hard in the off season. It will take more then one season to turn this team around. That being said I believe that the Warriors are headed in the right direction, and the team will hold their own this year against any team in the GWOC!!
GO WARRIORS!!!!!
Old 01-17-14, 09:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog424101 View Post
Give coach Yount a chance!! He is working hard to change the program into a winning one. You need dedicated kids that want to work hard in the off season. It will take more then one season to turn this team around. That being said I believe that the Warriors are headed in the right direction, and the team will hold their own this year against any team in the GWOC!!
GO WARRIORS!!!!!
I hope so, nothing personal against the coach. Just tough seeing whats happened to a once great program.
Old 01-21-14, 04:46 AM
Freshman

Gwave12 is on a distinguished road
Greenville brings back almost their entire team that went 6-4 in the North and lost in extra's by a run at Butler. Their number one and two pitchers are back and also have a 6'7" RHP junior that was ineligable due to grades last year and a junior lefty that will have an impact. They did lose their centerfielder that stole 30 plus bases last year but his little brother will step in and is just as quick on the basepaths. Walks hurt them last year, and will need to be addressed this season, but after watching him over the summer Baumgardner will be one to watch on the mound, and Nealeigh just flat out rakes at the plate.
Old 01-21-14, 08:36 AM
Freshman

JacketFan85 is on a distinguished road
No doubt Sidney has a lot of holes to fill. Benshoff and probably Sharp on the left side and Lochard who graduated last year at 1st is gone Along with Heath (LF). Niswonger (catcher) and Herbert (second base) are returning Sophmores along with Echols (jr.) and Penley (Senior). There are a few players that are hungry from last year that are going to probably step up and make a difference. They will be young but when the dust settles I think they are going to be better than last year. The first few games may be a little shakey until the coaching staff gets everything sorted out.
Old 01-21-14, 10:55 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwave12 View Post
Greenville brings back almost their entire team that went 6-4 in the North and lost in extra's by a run at Butler. Their number one and two pitchers are back and also have a 6'7" RHP junior that was ineligable due to grades last year and a junior lefty that will have an impact. They did lose their centerfielder that stole 30 plus bases last year but his little brother will step in and is just as quick on the basepaths. Walks hurt them last year, and will need to be addressed this season, but after watching him over the summer Baumgardner will be one to watch on the mound, and Nealeigh just flat out rakes at the plate.
If you bring up that they took Butler to extras then you might as well remind everyone that everyone is back from a team that lost to Marion Local and Ben Logan (both had losing records), and was run ruled by Wapak, Butler, Sidney, and Troy. Last year Greenville gave up more runs than anyone in the North (excluding Twood) by a large margin. 172 runs given up (Sidney was next at 144.) Greenville will score some runs, but I just don't see the pitching or defense to have a legitimate shot at the north. 18-10 last year playing a pretty weak schedule, hopefully this year they have toughened that up to take the next step in the development of that program...
Old 01-24-14, 12:18 PM
Varsity

DaytonSports135 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
Troy has actually played well against Butler over the last 6 or 7 years. They've probably won about the same amount of games or if not, pretty close to even. Troy also knocked them out of the playoffs 4 or 5 years ago. Butler is still the premier team in the North but Troy is knocking. Troy stinks in every other sport right now, but baseball is up and coming.
Since 07 Butler is 10-5 against Troy. Butler also swept them last year with a combined score of 18-5 beating Langdon and Kendall. I think Butler has Troy's number.
Old 01-24-14, 12:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonSports135 View Post
Since 07 Butler is 10-5 against Troy. Butler also swept them last year with a combined score of 18-5 beating Langdon and Kendall. I think Butler has Troy's number.
I went back to 06 and that's as far back as the GWOC site goes to. Troy is 6-10 against Butler since that time. It's fair for you to mention that we got swept last year, but don't forget that Troy swept Butler 2 years ago and Cherry was one of the starters in those games. Butler may have a slight advantage but by no means do they "own" us. Should be a fun year.
Old 01-25-14, 10:13 PM
All World

FBGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgdad64 View Post
South predictions? Miamisburg should be very strong. Losing Butcher's bat will hurt, but he is the only true player they lost from last years squad. They have lots of great pitching and a lot of great bats. Miamisburg improved their coaching staff from last season which should also help. Lebanon will be tough again. I don't know about Springboro. From what I hear, they graduated a lot of talent last year.
I want Miamisburg to be good in baseball. I root for them. However, their schedule is just terrible. Arcanum, Wilmington, CJ, and Oakwood? Come on. They went 14-10 last year, but with that schedule they should win 20 if they are any good. They were 0-4 against the good schools in the South, Lebanon and Springboro. Until they step things up and beat the good teams, they are not going to be a threat to anyone.
Old 01-26-14, 06:29 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBGuy View Post
I want Miamisburg to be good in baseball. I root for them. However, their schedule is just terrible. Arcanum, Wilmington, CJ, and Oakwood? Come on. They went 14-10 last year, but with that schedule they should win 20 if they are any good. They were 0-4 against the good schools in the South, Lebanon and Springboro. Until they step things up and beat the good teams, they are not going to be a threat to anyone.
Reminds me of the Tony Ferraro coached Wayne Warriors in the early to mid 2000's. Every season we finished with over 20 wins but our non-conference consisted of Stivers, West Carrolton, Dayton Christian, Milton Union, Bellbrook etc etc. We finished my junior and senior years ranked in the top 10 of the D-1 state poll. We were never pushed or challenged and as a result we never made it out of sectionals.
Old 01-26-14, 10:43 PM
All World

FBGuy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UcantCatchMe View Post
Reminds me of the Tony Ferraro coached Wayne Warriors in the early to mid 2000's. Every season we finished with over 20 wins but our non-conference consisted of Stivers, West Carrolton, Dayton Christian, Milton Union, Bellbrook etc etc. We finished my junior and senior years ranked in the top 10 of the D-1 state poll. We were never pushed or challenged and as a result we never made it out of sectionals.
Now you know why I think big schools should play big schools.