Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 02-22-14, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
I didn't make a dubious claim, I made a statement saying some of us do not understand the new seeding process. Is that a dubious claim? And logical insight is just that & not a fact, so what's the problem. You got your wish on more competitive districts & now live with it. You are obviously anxiously waiting for Mentor to be beaten early & saying I told you so & calling it a huge upset. I also stand by my comment "What Difference Does it Make" at this point, it's time to play ball.
No, your dubious claim was that multiple teams were avoiding Mentor, which cardz provided evidence as to why that probably wasn't the case.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-14, 03:05 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think Shaker will have a tough time getting out of their district. They have not been playing that well the last few weeks & getting beat by Brunswick last nite leaves some doubts about their play under pressure. It looks like they will probably have to play 2 of the following 3 teams in the disitrict, Bedford, Cleveland Hts or Garfield Hts. I also think Bedford could be the surprise team in their bracket.
Come on, now. They just beat St Eds the week before. As for the Brunswick loss, sure it was surprising. But Mentor lost to Brunswick early in the season and then needed overtime to knock them off at home just a few weeks ago. Brunswick is no slouch.

Shaker will not walk out of the district easily, but they are the clear favorite.
Old 02-22-14, 03:05 PM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
They were Cardz's LOGICAL INSIGHTS & not necessarily the REASONS those teams made their choice in which bracket to choose. In other words, those LOGICAL INSIGHTS were nothing more than Cardz's GUESS. That, my friend, can be more likely considered a DUBIOUS CLAIM, rather than accusing me of such.
Old 02-22-14, 05:14 PM
All Region

The comment was " Shaker may have a tough time getting out of their district". It wasn't said they would lose the district. I just pointed out the possibilities that exist & I realy believe them. Incidentally, it was either you or someone else on this thread that said Mentor was done because they lost to a team like Brunswick. Now, all of a sudden, Brunswick is a great team because they beat Shaker. You can't have it both ways.
Old 02-22-14, 06:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
The comment was " Shaker may have a tough time getting out of their district". It wasn't said they would lose the district. I just pointed out the possibilities that exist & I realy believe them. Incidentally, it was either you or someone else on this thread that said Mentor was done because they lost to a team like Brunswick. Now, all of a sudden, Brunswick is a great team because they beat Shaker. You can't have it both ways.
You said Shaker hasn't played well in the last few weeks. I said they gave St Edward (possibly Ohio's best team) their only in-state loss just a week ago.

As for Brunswick, I acknowledge that the loss to Shaker was puzzling. But looking at Brunswick's season, they have shown to be very inconsistent. At their best, they are one of the top 5 teams in NEO. They split their season against Shaker, Garfield, and Mentor. Two of their NOC Valley losses were in overtime against Mentor and Medina. Brunswick has some bad losses as well - including a recent one to Normandy.

At the time of the Brunswick loss, I did feel the season was in the toilet. The team was playing poorly. But they have turned the season around in a big way. Now it is second season. I have seen enough improvement to believe they can win the district and at least challenge any potential opponent at CSU.
Old 02-22-14, 06:23 PM
All Yappi

By the way, here is what appears to be the final standings of a very competitive NOC Valley:

Shaker: 8-2 (losses to Garfield and Brunswick)
Medina: 7-3 (losses to Shaker twice and Mentor)
Mentor: 6-4 (losses to Shaker twice, Medina, and Brunswick)
Garfield: 5-5 (losses to Mentor twice, Medina twice, and Brunswick)
Brunswick: 5-5 (losses to Medina twice, Shaker, Mentor, and Garfield)
Strongsville: 0-10 (I think you know...)

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 02-23-14 at 08:21 AM..
Old 02-22-14, 09:50 PM
Junior Varsity

Bballdog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
By the way, here is what appears to be the final standings of a very competitive NOC Valley:

Shaker: 7-3 (losses to Garfield twice and Brunswick)
Medina: 7-3 (losses to Shaker twice and Mentor)
Mentor: 6-4 (losses to Shaker twice, Medina, and Brunswick)
Garfield: 5-5 (losses to Mentor twice, Medina twice, and Brunswick)
Brunswick: 5-5 (losses to Medina twice, Shaker, Mentor, and Garfield)
Strongsville: 0-10 (I think you know...)
Shaker finished 8-2 conference champs Losses to Garfield and Brunswick

They split series with Garfield 1-1
Old 02-23-14, 08:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballdog View Post
Shaker finished 8-2 conference champs Losses to Garfield and Brunswick

They split series with Garfield 1-1
Thank, I will update above.
Old 02-23-14, 10:29 AM
All Region

I do not believe any of the top seeded teams will have an easy time winning their district. If, by chance, they do have an easy time, I believe that team will go to the state playoffs in Columbus.
Old 02-27-14, 08:35 PM
All Yappi

Mentor plays as expected in an easy win over Howland: http://www.ohiovarsity.com/index.php...n-over-howland

Next up is JFK on Saturday at Mentor.

East Tech had just a 7 point win against Shaw, one of the bottom seeds at the Euclid/Solon combined district. Maple was impressive in a 50-32 win over Kenston, the No. 8 seed. The Brush-Maple winner could very well upset East Tech.

WGH is playing better ball lately and they will play Glenville in the sectional final. The winner will play Mentor in what should be a tough district semifinal.
Old 03-02-14, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

Great article on Mentor's trio of Krizancic, Potter, and McClure: http://www.ohiovarsity.com/index.php...n-the-hardwood

Amazing that there could have been 5 Division I athletes on this basketball team if Fritts and Berger came out. But none would be in basketball. Krizancic, Potter, and McClure would be sure fire DII college basketball players. It is possible that one or more may have received a DI basketball offer. All seemed to make the right choice going with their top sport.

Still wonder what this team would look like with Brandon Fritts. Oh well. Hope he makes the most of it at UNC.
Old 03-02-14, 03:51 PM
All Yappi

http://www.ohiovarsity.com/index.php...district-semis

Mentor easily beats JFK yesterday. Now another Senate foe in Glenville. Mentor's history of playing the Tarblooders in basketball usually means a district final.

2001: Mentor 83 Glenville 82 (OT)

This district final between the top two seeds exceeded the hype. I was at this game and it was the most packed and loud atmosphere I have seen at any Euclid district game. Two very talented teams and only one could make it out. Mentor was led by a great senior and sophomore class.

2006: Mentor 68 Glenville 67

While the 2001 game was one of the best I have ever seen, the 2006 district final at Euclid was the most exciting ending I have ever seen at a Mentor basketball game. Adam May was a senior for Mentor who still hadn't been a part of a district title. Considering how talented he was, I really was pulling for him and that senior class. It didn't look too promising with Mentor down 67-65 with just seconds to go. But the offense pushed the ball up the court and found sophomore Joey Meyer open for a buzzer-beating triple that won the game. Crazy ending.

2008: Mentor 57 Glenville 50

This was a young (and very small) Mentor team that pretty much overachieved all season. Jaron Crowe (sophomore) and Cole Krizancic (freshman) were starters along with fellow small guard Joey Meyer. I remember Scott Branchick being the key to the victory. Glenville had a couple of talented players - Rayshaun Goins (6'6 forward that played at James Madison) and talented guard Kendall Holt. Glenville also had sophomore Nick Harney, who eventually transferred to Benedictine and is now playing ball at Akron. That was a good Glenville team.

Fortunately for Mentor, they have gotten the best of Glenville in big moments in football and basketball over the years. Hope it continues on Thursday.
Old 03-02-14, 07:57 PM
All Ohio

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Great article on Mentor's trio of Krizancic, Potter, and McClure: http://www.ohiovarsity.com/index.php...n-the-hardwood

Amazing that there could have been 5 Division I athletes on this basketball team if Fritts and Berger came out. But none would be in basketball. Krizancic, Potter, and McClure would be sure fire DII college basketball players. It is possible that one or more may have received a DI basketball offer. All seemed to make the right choice going with their top sport.

Still wonder what this team would look like with Brandon Fritts. Oh well. Hope he makes the most of it at UNC.
Great article on those three. Great kids. Would have loved to have seen Potter in a football uniform playing safety. He could have been the difference in a state title in football. McClure will go far if he controls his temper and relaxes -- realizing that every play doesn't always go your way -- will be surprised if he is not a high draft choice in the MLB draft (Potter, too). Hope Krizancic's concussions don't affect him later in life.
Old 03-03-14, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

All-district teams have been released. Potter (1st team), Krizancic (2nd team), McClure (special mention) and Hagey (special mention) get recognition. Congrats to all four seniors. This class is one of the better ones I have seen. With Fritts and Berger, it may have been the best. Hard to argue against their talent, production, and accomplishments.
Old 03-06-14, 10:11 PM
All Yappi

Mentor looked very sharp in their win over Glenville tonight. The final was 74-54. Kade McClure had his best game of his career with 29 points. Potter and Zaugg were efficient three-point shooters. It was a good defensive effort for the majority of the game as well.

East Tech is in Mentor's way of a district title again. This will be the third straight season they play in a big district game at Euclid. But this is probably the best team the Scarabs have had during that stretch. Should be a good one on Saturday at 4.
Old 03-06-14, 10:29 PM
TARBLOODER BOY

macnjnc is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Mentor looked very sharp in their win over Glenville tonight. The final was 74-54. Kade McClure had his best game of his career with 29 points. Potter and Zaugg were efficient three-point shooters. It was a good defensive effort for the majority of the game as well.

East Tech is in Mentor's way of a district title again. This will be the third straight season they play in a big district game at Euclid. But this is probably the best team the Scarabs have had during that stretch. Should be a good one on Saturday at 4.
My Tarblooders go down

Oh well.....
Old 03-08-14, 07:32 PM
All Yappi

Mentor falls to East Tech 79-63.

The Cards went on a 10-0 run at the beginning of the 1st quarter. It was all down hill from there. Offensively and defensively, Mentor just couldn't find any consistency. Mentor's guards couldn't keep up with Taylor and Carmon. The strong guard play of East Tech was a tough matchup. The Scarabs had the two best players on the floor. Can't remember the last time that happened to Mentor at the Euclid district.

A nice run of six straight district crowns comes to an end. Krizancic, Potter, and McClure will always be able to hang their basketball hats on the fact they were parts of a state championship team.
Old 03-09-14, 08:23 AM
All Yappi

Bennies'01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They were Cardz's LOGICAL INSIGHTS & not necessarily the REASONS those teams made their choice in which bracket to choose. In other words, those LOGICAL INSIGHTS were nothing more than Cardz's GUESS. That, my friend, can be more likely considered a DUBIOUS CLAIM, rather than accusing me of such.
cardz's logical insight makes more sense that what you claimed, that's for sure, which was a wild guess based on your personal biases.

Doesn't matter anymore I suppose.
Old 03-09-14, 01:18 PM
All Region

My friend, Bennies01, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am entitled to mine, however, you have always tried to belittle the Mentor football & basketball teams with your negative comments throughout the year. It's very obvious you are not the least bit familiar with their programs & are so offended when someone does not agree with you. Therefore, you insert a degree of sarcasm in your comments & become very defensive. You appear to be either extremely envious of Mentor sports or you really don't have a likeness of Mentor. So, my humble advice to you is "Lighten Up, it's only the posters opinions on what is said on this thread." Have a nice day, maybe we can pick it up again next football & basketball season.
Old 03-12-14, 08:48 PM
All District

mentfan is on a distinguished road
Now that his youngest son Conner is graduating, will Coach K be back as Mentor Head Basketball Coach?
Old 03-12-14, 09:18 PM
All Ohio

Bball216 is on a distinguished road
I'm just waiting for the word that he is stepping down. I think the odds of him coaching Mentor next year is less then 25%. Soon M will stand for mediocre.
Old 03-13-14, 01:09 AM
All American

warren west
As successful as hes been even with his sons graduated why would he step down?? hes not that old.
Old 03-13-14, 03:39 AM
All Ohio

I'm guessing so he can watch his kids in college. He will always be able to get another job. Maybe he will take that job Nike offered him. Either way I think it's a matter of time before you hear he is leaving.
Old 03-13-14, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bball216 View Post
I'm just waiting for the word that he is stepping down. I think the odds of him coaching Mentor next year is less then 25%. Soon M will stand for mediocre.
Will still be better than Euclid. Mentor will still be a competent program as they are a desirable job. Just hope they go outside the program to get the coach.
Old 03-13-14, 10:35 AM
All Ohio

If your going to hang your hat on just beating Euclid then the drop off for Mentor will be huge. You currently have an incredible high school coach who is IMO top 5 in Ohio. Mentor wins because of his system and attention to detail. If Mentor thinks they can play a different style and still beat the likes of Garfield, Shaker, Cleveland Heights, etc - good luck with that. If Bob leaves - the program will be .500 on a regular basis. They will no longer be elite like they have been the last several seasons. Mentor does not have the athletes in basketball in comparison to many D1 schools in NE Ohio. They win with system and its 100% Bob's system.
Old 03-13-14, 10:57 AM
All Region

Lakeshore5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If your going to hang your hat on just beating Euclid then the drop off for Mentor will be huge. You currently have an incredible high school coach who is IMO top 5 in Ohio. Mentor wins because of his system and attention to detail. If Mentor thinks they can play a different style and still beat the likes of Garfield, Shaker, Cleveland Heights, etc - good luck with that. If Bob leaves - the program will be .500 on a regular basis. They will no longer be elite like they have been the last several seasons. Mentor does not have the athletes in basketball in comparison to many D1 schools in NE Ohio. They win with system and its 100% Bob's system.
They won state last year with a bunch of D1 athletes.
Old 03-13-14, 11:10 AM
All Ohio

They won state with D1 athletes in other sports and Bob Krizancic's system. Mentor did not have one D1 basketball player on that squad. Last year the team played outstanding TEAM basketball and executed the system and defense to perfection. They were really fun to watch last year and in the playoffs they did not have one game where the outside shot was off - watch the state final game. They got really hot at the right time. EVERYTHING Mentor does is based off the system and the coach. He demands perfection and gets 100% from every kid. Replacing him will not be simple. There are not coaches like Krizancic all over the place. The guy is as elite as they come.
Old 03-13-14, 11:19 AM
Freshman

JShuttlesworth40 is on a distinguished road
Krizancik is as good of a coach at any level, high school or college IMO. The guy flat our wins. He won a D1 state title last year with his best player being a Division 3 college basketball recruit. Thats impressive. His kids are mentally tough, play hard and together, and they can all shoot the 3 ball. Hope he stays and wins another one. Where are his sons playing in college?
Old 03-13-14, 11:54 AM
All Region

Cole, his oldest is playing basketball at Ashland Univ. Div.II, completing his Junior year & Conner signed with Univ.of Minnesota , Big Ten, Div.I as a wide receiver. McLure & Potter going to DI Louisville Univ & West Virginia Univ for baseball.
Old 03-13-14, 12:19 PM
All Region

Lakeshore5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
They won state with D1 athletes in other sports and Bob Krizancic's system. Mentor did not have one D1 basketball player on that squad. Last year the team played outstanding TEAM basketball and executed the system and defense to perfection. They were really fun to watch last year and in the playoffs they did not have one game where the outside shot was off - watch the state final game. They got really hot at the right time. EVERYTHING Mentor does is based off the system and the coach. He demands perfection and gets 100% from every kid. Replacing him will not be simple. There are not coaches like Krizancic all over the place. The guy is as elite as they come.
Conner had a D1 offer and I would say McClure is a D1 basketball player as well. Also, their 6th man is a walk on at BGSU.