Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Notices

Old 01-15-14, 12:41 PM
Freshman

Glass Eater is on a distinguished road
How is the district seeding shaping up in Mentor's bracket?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-14, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Eater View Post
How is the district seeding shaping up in Mentor's bracket?
Mentor will probably end up the equivalent of a 2 or 3 seed. They might deserve lower, but the reputation of their program will give them a little boost. A lot depends on how they play out the next few games against Medina, Garfield, VASJ, and Shaker.
Old 01-17-14, 09:37 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Medina 77 Mentor 72 Tough Loss For Mentor.
Old 01-17-14, 09:53 PM
All Region

mcudog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Medina 77 Mentor 72 Tough Loss For Mentor.
Game took forever... guess that's what happens when the teams combine to shoot 71 FT's
Old 01-18-14, 04:16 AM
All Ohio

CardzFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcudog View Post
Game took forever... guess that's what happens when the teams combine to shoot 71 FT's
The Plain Dealer reported that Mentor committed two technical fouls in the fourth quarter -- one on a three-point attempt -- five free throws and possession resulting in another two free throws. Multiple technical fouls can kill a rally. Having Kyle Hagey out with a concussion also hurt since sophomore Valeri is not close to the player Hagey is. Should be a better result today vs. South.
Old 01-18-14, 08:25 AM
Junior Varsity

lakecountysportsfan is on a distinguished road
Unfortunantly the roller coaster ride looks like it is going to continue for the rest of the season. I have never seen Mentor look forward to playing South for better results. In past years you could take one player out of the lineup and the team would just keep rolling on. Where has the talent gone? It's not because a couple of football players decide not to play. Is the JV team playing enough kids and developing talent to move up? There are two Freshman teams, are they teaching the right skills for these kids to keep moving up to the varsity level? I hear the 6th, 7th and 8th grades are really good classes with plenty of talent. Coach K is always good at taking a core group of 8-10 varsity players and getting them to play and compete with anyone every year. Fritts would have made a big difference but he wasn't going to play this year since summertime. Just something to think about. I just don't see the talent at the high school that has always been there. Is this a sign of things to come when Coach K retires?
Old 01-18-14, 06:20 PM
All Ohio

Since Mentor only played three games in Tennessee, is there any word on Coach K scheduling another game to make it a full 22-game schedule?
Old 01-19-14, 06:07 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakecountysportsfan View Post
Unfortunantly the roller coaster ride looks like it is going to continue for the rest of the season. I have never seen Mentor look forward to playing South for better results. In past years you could take one player out of the lineup and the team would just keep rolling on. Where has the talent gone? It's not because a couple of football players decide not to play. Is the JV team playing enough kids and developing talent to move up? There are two Freshman teams, are they teaching the right skills for these kids to keep moving up to the varsity level? I hear the 6th, 7th and 8th grades are really good classes with plenty of talent. Coach K is always good at taking a core group of 8-10 varsity players and getting them to play and compete with anyone every year. Fritts would have made a big difference but he wasn't going to play this year since summertime. Just something to think about. I just don't see the talent at the high school that has always been there. Is this a sign of things to come when Coach K retires?
At most schools, everything goes in cycles as kids graduate and new kids replace them. Mentor has been fortunate throughout the years to have an abundance of talent -- the fans have been spoiled. It may take a few years, but they will bounce back. Hopefully, they will find a top coach to replace Coach K.
Old 01-20-14, 12:56 PM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
In the past 20 years, Mentor has had only one player that has gone on to play Division I college basketball & that was Adam May at 6'8". They have had a number of players that have gone to Div.II & III colleges, but as far as an abundance of talent over the years, I don't see it. When you see Div.I college coaches offering scholarships to high school players, that is what is considered a basketball talent, based on the opinions of all of the recruiting services & college coaches. Not to say that the Mentor kids aren't talented, but when you look at other schools like Shaker Hts, Garfield Hts, St,Ed's, St.Ignatius, & many other local schools that have players going to Div.I colleges every year, I don't think Mentor has anywhere near that level of raw talent. Mentor has taken the less talented, average kind of player that wants to work hard, play hard, be a role player, loves the game, loves to be competitive & compete against the best. A prime example of that is last years state championship team, whereas, Mentor did not have one single player that made 1st, 2nd, 3rd, special mention teams All-Ohio. Only Foreman made honorable mention, yet they were good enough to win the state championship against teams that had much more All-Ohio, talented & potential Div.I college players. I believe the Mentor coaches do a tremendous job with the limited amount of talent they get year after year & most always have very successful seasons.
Old 01-20-14, 01:02 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
The number of Ignatius players going onto D-I basketball is a pretty short list. In the last ten years...Shonn Miller (6'6") to Cornell is the only one that comes to mind in the last five years. Ryan Stilphen (6'8") went to Marist about 10 years back. I don't recall if Ignatius has ever sent a basketball player to the Big 10, for instance.

You don't need D-I college talent to win a big school state title in Ohio. It's nice, it helps, but Mentor's state title team last year (and in recent years) has plenty of athletic talent. I'm impressed with your program, your coach, your players, but it isn't as if a miracle was performed.
Old 01-20-14, 01:44 PM
All Region

No one called it a miracle, it was just a point made to imply the same thing you stated about the program. However, if you look at the past, most of the schools that have won the Div.I state championship have had a couple of Div.I college athletes.
Old 01-20-14, 02:12 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
However, if you look at the past, most of the schools that have won the Div.I state championship have had a couple of Div.I college athletes.
I'm sure that's just a hunch on your part. My hunch is that most D-I state champions have one college D-I player or none.
Old 01-20-14, 05:32 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
In the past 20 years, Mentor has had only one player that has gone on to play Division I college basketball & that was Adam May at 6'8". They have had a number of players that have gone to Div.II & III colleges, but as far as an abundance of talent over the years, I don't see it. When you see Div.I college coaches offering scholarships to high school players, that is what is considered a basketball talent, based on the opinions of all of the recruiting services & college coaches. Not to say that the Mentor kids aren't talented, but when you look at other schools like Shaker Hts, Garfield Hts, St,Ed's, St.Ignatius, & many other local schools that have players going to Div.I colleges every year, I don't think Mentor has anywhere near that level of raw talent. Mentor has taken the less talented, average kind of player that wants to work hard, play hard, be a role player, loves the game, loves to be competitive & compete against the best. A prime example of that is last years state championship team, whereas, Mentor did not have one single player that made 1st, 2nd, 3rd, special mention teams All-Ohio. Only Foreman made honorable mention, yet they were good enough to win the state championship against teams that had much more All-Ohio, talented & potential Div.I college players. I believe the Mentor coaches do a tremendous job with the limited amount of talent they get year after year & most always have very successful seasons.
Justin Fritts would definitely have had some D-I offers his senior year from at least some MAC schools by season's end had he not committed early to Wheeling Jesuit to play both basketball and baseball. IMO he was the best basketball player ever to play at Mentor.
Old 01-20-14, 10:10 PM
All Yappi

Last year's state champions had an eight man rotation that included three DI football players and two DI baseball players. Talented athletes (regardless of sport) certainly makes a difference. But the heart and soul of the state championship team was three seniors who were not DI scholarship worthy in any sport. They were good high school athletes that could play basketball at the DII or DIII level. Jeff Foreman is getting time at Mount Union and had an opportunity to play DII at Ashland. Brody Nelson could have played DIII somewhere if he really wanted to. Michael Gallagher was not overly skilled, but is currently a practice player at Bowling Green. He is not a scholarship player...almost certainly never could be. And he will likely always remain a walk on practice player. But his defensive intensity and toughness was a big part of the run.

I will not say Mentor has been short on talent. It isn't an overwhelming amount of talent, but they still have had it. They don't have the type of talent that other teams in the area does (such as Eds, Shaker, Garfield) - but it is still there. Since Adam May, the crop of talented All-Ohio guards (Meyer, Crowe, Krizancic, and Fritts) has been impressive. Of those four, two play(ed) locally at a DIII school and two got scholarships to play DII.
Old 01-20-14, 10:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Justin Fritts would definitely have had some D-I offers his senior year from at least some MAC schools by season's end had he not committed early to Wheeling Jesuit to play both basketball and baseball. IMO he was the best basketball player ever to play at Mentor.
I think Justin Fritts was by far the most effective scorer at Mentor for a single season. His senior year was ridiculous. I am not necessarily convinced he is the best basketball player ever to play at Mentor - but I can't necessarily dispute it either. If I was "drafting" a team of Cardinals, he would be right near the top of the list with Adam May (combination of size and skill was off the charts), Cole Krizancic (inch-for-inch, pound-for-pound the very best), and Jaron Crowe (the perfect point guard).

But Jeff Foreman will always go down as the guy who was "the man" for the state championship team. While he wasn't quite as skilled or efficient as some of the guys I mentioned above, he brought a combination of offense, defense, leadership, and toughness that was a rare thing at Mentor.
Old 01-23-14, 04:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
I think Justin Fritts was by far the most effective scorer at Mentor for a single season. His senior year was ridiculous. I am not necessarily convinced he is the best basketball player ever to play at Mentor - but I can't necessarily dispute it either. If I was "drafting" a team of Cardinals, he would be right near the top of the list with Adam May (combination of size and skill was off the charts), Cole Krizancic (inch-for-inch, pound-for-pound the very best), and Jaron Crowe (the perfect point guard).

But Jeff Foreman will always go down as the guy who was "the man" for the state championship team. While he wasn't quite as skilled or efficient as some of the guys I mentioned above, he brought a combination of offense, defense, leadership, and toughness that was a rare thing at Mentor.
Cole was a great kid with a lot of heart but Fritts was much better -- even did it all playing basically point guard. Coach K should have sacrificed Cole's scoring some and made him a point guard because of his great ballhandling and vision -- a natural position he should be playing in college -- a main reason he is struggling in college at Ashland and is coming off the bench as a junior. Fritts has been the main man at Wheeling Jesuit since he got there.

Last edited by CardzFan1; 01-27-14 at 10:55 PM..
Old 01-24-14, 01:04 PM
All Yappi

Mentor home game against Garfield tonight is still on.
Old 01-24-14, 09:48 PM
All Yappi

Great win by mentor 64-57 , without cade mclure.
Old 01-25-14, 09:52 AM
All Yappi

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...-heights-again

Mentor was without McClure. Garfield was missing leading scorer Chelvonte Montgomery. It was a game Mentor really needed to win considering their next few games will be against VASJ, Shaker, and a talented team from Florida. They will be fortunate to win any of the next three games.
Old 01-26-14, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

VASJ 82 Mentor 71 , good game from both state champs.
Old 01-26-14, 07:51 PM
All Yappi

A respectable showing for Mentor. Were tied with VASJ heading into the 4th quarter. Got outscored 24-13 in the final quarter. Will be a tough go the rest of the season. Games remain against Shaker, Country Day (FL), Jackson, Medina, and Brunswick. Mentor will probably win just a couple of those games.
Old 01-26-14, 10:42 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
A respectable showing for Mentor. Were tied with VASJ heading into the 4th quarter. Got outscored 24-13 in the final quarter. Will be a tough go the rest of the season. Games remain against Shaker, Country Day (FL), Jackson, Medina, and Brunswick. Mentor will probably win just a couple of those games.
Mentor was fortunate that VASJ decided to play a zone -- their coach said it would make his team fresher on offense. Mentor shot well enough to keep it close.
Old 01-26-14, 10:58 PM
All District

MugnMaul78 is on a distinguished road
Great game Mentor. It was tough for my Vikings to pull away when Mentor gets 3 pts per shot and we were only getting 2. Glad to get out of there with a W.
Old 01-27-14, 09:14 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Mentor was fortunate that VASJ decided to play a zone -- their coach said it would make his team fresher on offense. Mentor shot well enough to keep it close.
Mentor rarely plays against a zone. And to be honest, a zone defense by a long and athletic team has given them fits in the past. Usually it is more effective to run a 3-2 zone rather than 2-3. VASJ didn't figure that out if they really stuck with a 2-3 the whole time.
Old 01-27-14, 10:51 AM
All Region

Although Mentor lost to VASJ, I am more confident that they will be ready for the tournament, regardless of what their regular season looks like.They played well enough most of the game to keep the game close & were very competitive, although they were significantly outsized with athletes that were not only big, but extremely talented & athletic. I would be really shocked if VASJ doesn't make it to the state finals again & more than likely repeat winning the state title again. I believe they are that good.
Old 01-27-14, 11:50 AM
All Yappi

It was good that Hagey had a big game yesterday. If Mentor wants to make a deep run, they will need a big game from him at some point to beat some of the top NEO teams. Potter, Krizancic, and McClure need more help offensively to keep up with Shaker, Garfield, East Tech, Glenville, etc. on a consistent basis.
Old 01-27-14, 04:26 PM
All Region

Quote:
It was good that Hagey had a big game yesterday. If Mentor wants to make a deep run, they will need a big game from him at some point to beat some of the top NEO teams. Potter, Krizancic, and McClure need more help offensively to keep up with Shaker, Garfield, East Tech, Glenville, etc. on a consistent basis.
Correct, as is true with all teams that are competitive, including those mentioned above.
Old 01-27-14, 10:54 PM
All Yappi

Great article about three former Cardinals playing DIII college ball in the OAC: http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...tic-conference

Over the last ten years or so, Mentor fans have been treated to many talented guards. Jaron Crowe was one of my favorite high school basketball players to watch. A perfect point guard for Mentor...or any system.
Old 02-03-14, 11:26 PM
All District

Bbear44 is on a distinguished road
Being a Jackson fan, I am looking for an exciting game Saturday which I have no doubt it will be. Mentor has always given us fits. Do you think it will be a sold out game for Saturday? Should we get tickets in advance just in case?
Old 02-04-14, 09:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbear44 View Post
Being a Jackson fan, I am looking for an exciting game Saturday which I have no doubt it will be. Mentor has always given us fits. Do you think it will be a sold out game for Saturday? Should we get tickets in advance just in case?
No worries there. Mentor holds a lot. I have never seen a basketball game sell out. There will be plenty of seats available.