Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Old 12-20-13, 06:04 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
You mean sorta like what you do with private schools and the acquisition of athletically talented students ?

I would ask you in future conversations to keep this standard of proof in mind.
I have first hand knowledge of those examples/ schools too. I don't make accusations on those schools. I talk about facts. And the anti Mentor losers on here are 100 times worse than me or any group. We don't routinely go into your threads starting crap because we have lives.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-13, 08:30 AM
All American

His own brother said he has a concussion. His family has told multiple media sources off the record he was being treated for concussion like symptoms in the days after the game. He was knocked unconscious or at the very least had to leave the game with a head injury. By definition, Mentor and the officials did not follow state law and OHSAA guidelines.

Whether or not he was injured further by playing one more play is not the point. Only an idiot would think that's the point. The point is that he was put at significant risk because player safety, OHSAA rules and state law were ignored. Every level has to start taking this kinds of injuries seriously or football as we know it will go away pretty quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I couldn't open the JJ Huddle crap. I have still seen nothing with any substance FROM YOU that he has a concussion. And your phantom sources do nothing for me. You already said you were at St Mary's when I was for the Lake Catholic teams in 91/92 and tried to tell me that what I saw first hand didnt happen with them visiting. So I am not believing your bs here either.

I'm not missing any point because you have made no points. You have made accusations with no substance whatsoever. I am just saying that it is plain stupid to act like the injury is worse for him playing one more play in which he wasn't touched. Stupidity is your specialty though so this is nothing new.
Old 12-21-13, 08:31 AM
All American

This isn't about "hating" on Mentor. It's about a high profile case of ignoring safety rules/protocols.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
I have first hand knowledge of those examples/ schools too. I don't make accusations on those schools. I talk about facts. And the anti Mentor losers on here are 100 times worse than me or any group. We don't routinely go into your threads starting crap because we have lives.
Old 12-21-13, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Yeah good job on respecting cardz wishes. For the record, I wasn't saying further injury was the main point. I was merely stating that idiots like you acting like he was further injured because of Triv are full of it. He didnt get touched on the one play so no further damage was done no matter what you think of the situation. This is merely you guys making an exaggeration to further your bashing.

We aren't talking about that here anymore and your posts will be ignored. You have a thread on the football board where you guys can continue with this . And coming from an Eds fan, this all mighty rules talk is absolutely hilarious. Plus if this were some podunk school in the middle of nowhere, you guys wouldn't be attacking it with this level of intensity. We all know why you are caring so much. It is because you just love kicking Mentor whenever possible. That is clear to anyone who has seen your posts.

Take your little crusade elsewhere so we can talk about our defending state champs here. Your little loser agenda should be concentrated on the board covering the sport where this occurred.

Last edited by MentorGrad2002 : 12-21-13 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-21-13, 02:03 PM
All Yappi

Mentor at Euclid tonight. The Panthers aren't a top notch team, but they aren't that bad either. They do have lots of size - including Mr. Every High School Tyler Herron. The 6'8 senior dominated middle school ball in Willoughby and became one of the top 8th graders in the country (for what that is worth). Herron went to St Eds as a freshman. Then he transferred to his hometown South. Then halfway through his sophomore season, Herron went to North Carolina. Now he is back in NEO at Euclid. While nowhere near the potential he had as a 13 or 14 year old, Herron will still be a load for Potter to handle tonight. Should be another good challenge.
Old 12-21-13, 02:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
Mentor at Euclid tonight. The Panthers aren't a top notch team, but they aren't that bad either. They do have lots of size - including Mr. Every High School Tyler Herron. The 6'8 senior dominated middle school ball in Willoughby and became one of the top 8th graders in the country (for what that is worth). Herron went to St Eds as a freshman. Then he transferred to his hometown South. Then halfway through his sophomore season, Herron went to North Carolina. Now he is back in NEO at Euclid. While nowhere near the potential he had as a 13 or 14 year old, Herron will still be a load for Potter to handle tonight. Should be another good challenge.
Potter will be fine. Euclid doesn't really use its size at all on the offensive end, still, he will need to be accounted for on the offensive glass.
Old 12-21-13, 03:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Not the kid's fault, I'm sure, but when you read his travelogue over the last three years, it seems very likely that he's a kid who probably isn't getting the most out of his talent. Stay in one place, eat, sleep, grow, learn how to work hard. Still very young...let the kid settle down.
Old 12-21-13, 04:09 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Not the kid's fault, I'm sure, but when you read his travelogue over the last three years, it seems very likely that he's a kid who probably isn't getting the most out of his talent. Stay in one place, eat, sleep, grow, learn how to work hard. Still very young...let the kid settle down.
And I don't believe he has grown much at all since 8th grade. He was listed as a 6'8 promising 8th grader. Now he is a 6'8 senior. It appears he peeked several years ago. It is easy to dominate middle school ball at that size. Dominating high school ball is a whole different story. I don't see any indication the kid has any offers.
Old 12-21-13, 09:49 PM
All Yappi

As impressive as their opening game was, the Cards were pretty flat tonight. Maybe it had something to do with their new strange road jerseys: https://twitter.com/realchalktalk/st...666496/photo/1

Anyways...the final was 91-67, but it was a single digit game all the way through the beginning of the 4th quarter. Caleb Potter had another high scoring game and Kyle Hagey also played well. Outside of those two, no other player could consistently find or hit their shots. McClure had a night he would like to soon forget. He had more fouls than points for most, if not the entire game. The first half was a failed attempt by Mentor to use their full court press. Euclid got a lot of easy baskets after beating it. Mentor finally went away from the press in the second half. Euclid is an alright team. But they got kicked in the mouth by VASJ and Warrensville. Mentor let them hang around for three quarters. Not a great showing.

Monday's game will feature the banner unveiling of the state championship season of 2012-13. The game against Riverside shouldn't be much of a game.
Old 12-21-13, 09:57 PM
All District

Quote:
As impressive as their opening game was, the Cards were pretty flat tonight. Maybe it had something to do with their new strange road jerseys: https://twitter.com/realchalktalk/st...666496/photo/1

Anyways...the final was 91-67, but it was a single digit game all the way through the beginning of the 4th quarter. Caleb Potter had another high scoring game and Kyle Hagey also played well. Outside of those two, no other player could consistently find or hit their shots. McClure had a night he would like to soon forget. He had more fouls than points for most, if not the entire game. The first half was a failed attempt by Mentor to use their full court press. Euclid got a lot of easy baskets after beating it. Mentor finally went away from the press in the second half. Euclid is an alright team. But they got kicked in the mouth by VASJ and Warrensville. Mentor let them hang around for three quarters. Not a great showing.

Monday's game will feature the banner unveiling of the state championship season of 2012-13. The game against Riverside shouldn't be much of a game.
Those jerseys are sick! Great look for the Cards.
Old 12-21-13, 10:27 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeshore5 View Post
Those jerseys are sick! Great look for the Cards.
I disagree. Looks like the Toronto Raptors. Bring back the red.
Old 12-21-13, 11:08 PM
All District

Quote:
I disagree. Looks like the Toronto Raptors. Bring back the red.
Will they be wearing them for every road game or just special occasions? I'm sure the kids love them, but I see where you're coming from. I'm sure Coach K doesn't care what his team wears as long as they are getting it done.
Old 12-22-13, 08:05 AM
All Yappi

http://ohiovarsity.com/index.php/sch...n#.UrbvS_RDsb0

Game summary. Potter finished with 32 points and Hagey had 22.

At tomorrow's game against Riverside, they will be selling more of the state championship t-shirts. If you buy one (for $6), you get in the game for free.
Old 12-24-13, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/20...ght-for-mentor

Mentor unveils the championship banner and easily defeats neighboring Riverside. The Beavers have former Mentor standout Adam May as head coach.

Tomorrow the team will drive down to Tennessee for their fourth straight appearance at the Arby's Classic. I will preview opponents as best I can.
Old 12-26-13, 08:47 AM
All Yappi

Mentor will play Oak Ridge (TN) tonight at 8:30 (approximately). If you are free, I recommend listening to the game online. I have listened to most of Mentor's games at the Arby's Classic the previous few seasons. The radio guys are very informed and help make you feel like you are there. I will post a link later to listen live. It should be on ESPNTricities.com.

Oak Ridge, located a little outside of Knoxville, is one of the power programs in their area. The Wildcats have a good overall program as they have won several football state titles. Oak Ridge has an enrollment similar to a nearby school like Riverside. Last year at the Arby's Classic, the Wildcats went 3-1 for a 5th place finish. This season, Oak Ridge is 10-3 heading into today's game. Their top returning player is Isaac Merian, a 6'6 forward who won last year's slam dunk contest at the Arby's Classic. He received a full scholarship to play at Lee University, an NAIA school.

Jaylin Henderson, a 6'1 guard, is possibly the team's best player. Henderson led the team in scoring in 2012-13 and was the District 3 tournament MVP as he helped Oak Ridge win their district last season. Henderson and Merian are certainly the two that Mentor will have to contain.

In the previous three years at the Arby's Classic, Mentor has dominated the early round opponents. I don't expect that to be the case this year. I think Mentor will win, but this opponent sounds like they are pretty strong. It is always possible an opponent is overwhelmed in playing against the style of the Cards for the first time. That is an advantage they can hopefully exploit.

Conner Krizancic is supposed to be playing in Bristol. That will help.
Old 12-26-13, 04:50 PM
Junior Varsity

Sounds like Mentor finally has a fairly good first game at Arby's for a change. It will be interesting to see how this team comes together now that Conner is back from his concussion and other injuries from football. It would have been nice to get a game under his belt before leaving on this trip. Good Luck to the Cards. I know this is always a fun trip for the team and parents.
Old 12-26-13, 06:51 PM
All World

What's this about a concussion? There was nothing in the papers about any concussion.
Old 12-26-13, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
What's this about a concussion? There was nothing in the papers about any concussion.
Come now, let's not stir the discussion away. There is a big thread about it in the football board.
Old 12-26-13, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

Listen live: http://player.streamtheworld.com/_pl...adel/?sid=3058

If that doesn't work, just go to ESPNTricities and click listen live. Game should start in a few minutes.

As I am listening, the play by play (talking about Mentor's new jerseys) - "boy these numbers are going to be hard to see"

The jersey numbers are a nightmare for an out of state play by play guy.
Old 12-26-13, 07:56 PM
All Yappi

Oak Ridge closes quarter on 8-0 run. Mentor down 23-14 after 1st quarter. Mentor already has 7 or 8 fouls in the opening quarter. Many turnovers on offense. Not a good start.
Old 12-26-13, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

Nothing is impossible with a Krizancic-coached team, but it doesn't look good. Mentor is down 51-36 at the half. I can't remember the last time the Cards took such a first half butt kicking.

Sounds like the press is not working, the offense is a turnover machine, not rebounding particularly well, nobody is hitting their shots, and the "defense" is either allowing a layup line or committing a foul. Ugly, ugly, ugly. The shooting can come and go. It is the turnovers and defense that are a real problem.

Oak Ridge is a good team as I said. But I didn't think they would be THIS good.
Old 12-26-13, 08:23 PM
All Yappi

Isaac Merian (17 points) and Jaylin Henderson (13 points) were the two best players on the floor in the first half. Potter led Mentor with 13 points in the first half.

Oak Ridge was 19-29 (3-9 3FG) shooting (62%) in the first half. Mentor was 13-36 (4-20 3FG). Oak Ridge was 16-20 inside the three-point arc. Mentor shot better than 50% on 2FG and just 20% on 3FG. In other words, the exact formula for many of Mentor's losses over the years. Shoot a lot of threes...and miss far too many.

The press is not working. Oak Ridge is too smart and good. Plus this Mentor team's makeup isn't nearly as good as running the press as last year's team with Fritts, Nelson, Foreman, Gallagher.
Old 12-26-13, 08:43 PM
All Yappi

Oak Ridge 74 Mentor 52 after three quarters. Outscored Mentor by 9 in the 1st quarter, 6 in the 2nd quarter, and 7 in the 3rd quarter. I don't remember the last time that Mentor was consistently outplayed by such a margin.

Coach K emptied the bench late in the 3rd quarter when they were down 20+. Probably at least partly out of frustration with the starters. The team has 21 turnovers. Can't make a three to save their life. Defense is terrible. Oak Ridge is the better team. But I can't believe they are THAT much better. Yikes. Mentor would have lost to Euclid if they played like they are tonight. Isaac Merian of Oak Ridge has 30 points.
Old 12-26-13, 09:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
A few people have talked about it here and on the football board. His brother even commented on Twitter about the concussion. The training staff was giving him smelling salts on the sideline and checking him over. He wasn't suppose to go back in but apparently ran out on the field anyways and no one called timeout or took him out. Could have really hurt him more by being out there. The rules and protocol by OHSAA on concussions is be very cautious and follow guidelines. No wonder it is hush hush.
Old 12-26-13, 09:17 PM
All World

Surely the coach would not have endangered a player's life just to win a football game, would he?
Old 12-26-13, 09:40 PM
All Yappi

Mentor loses 97-69. The bench was emptied for most of the second half. I can't remember the last time Mentor took it on the chin quite like this. A few years ago they got it handed to them pretty good by Garfield Heights in a regional final. The last regular season game that suffered near a 30 point loss that I can remember was in 2006 at home against St Eds.

I hope this is a serious wake-up call for the way the team needs to step up their defense for not only this tournament, but the rest of the season. We are a long way from last year's team. Really miss the toughness, defense, and leadership of the departed. The size of the guards is also missed. Nelson, Foreman, and Gallagher were all in the 6'3 or so range. Team misses the toughness of Brandon Fritts as well.

FWIW, I think Mentor can still roll through the last three games in the consolation bracket and salvage a 7th place finish. I have to believe that when playing all of the other teams that lose in the first round, Mentor will have a definite talent advantage.

Next game is Saturday at 10:30 against Dobyns-Bennett. Mentor played (and defeated) Dobyns-Bennett in their first ever Arby's Classic game in 2010.
Old 12-26-13, 09:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Surely the coach would not have endangered a player's life just to win a football game, would he?
Yes we get it. Triv made a big mistake. He deserves to be called out for it. But not on this thread.
Old 12-26-13, 11:31 PM
All World

Quote:
Yes we get it. Triv made a big mistake. He deserves to be called out for it. But not on this thread.
At last, someone from Mentor admits this. I'm done. Good luck to Conner and the rest of the bball team for the rest of the year.
Old 12-27-13, 09:35 AM
All District

Have to admit I'm shocked at the beating Mentor took last night. You just don't see them lose by that amount often. I'm sure Coach K was in rare form post game. They better fix the defensive issues because they have a rough schedule ahead.
Old 12-28-13, 11:56 AM
All Ohio

Mentor 86
Dobyns-Bennett 70

Hagey led the Cardinals with 25 followed by McClure with 17

Mentor returns to action at 9 am Monday vs Tabernacle Baptist from the Bahamas