Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Mentor by 20+ 4 4.12%
Mentor by 8-19 13 13.40%
Mentor by 1-7 30 30.93%
St. Edward by 1-7 29 29.90%
St. Edward by 8-19 18 18.56%
St. Edward by 20+ 3 3.09%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-13, 03:31 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
No, they likely won't. Historically, St. Ed's doesn't bring big playoff crowds, and TV is killing these state semi crowds.
Exactly. I remember going to the 2005 St. Ed/Massillon semi at the Rubber Bowl. The Massillon side was packed, and hardly nothing on the St. Ed side. BTW, great game. Massillon game from behind in the last 4 minutes, down 14 to win it.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-13, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelanoelle View Post
Why are you so negative? It's ridiculous.

Can we get back to football instead of two pages worth of complaining about an hour drive to see your team play IN THE STATE SEMI FINAL?!

Ed's will have a very large crowd, especially because of the holiday weekend. Lots of boys will be home from college an will be there to see their Eagles play.
If the OHSAA is stupid, they should get called out for it. There is nothing to be positive about with a stupid decision.

Both teams won't have big crowds if it is on TV. Holiday weekends have other things going on for many people and the inconvenience of Akron will keep even more at home.
Old 11-24-13, 03:34 PM
All Yappi

would she shocked if not STO game, along with Glenville Fri night
Old 11-24-13, 03:35 PM
Varsity

Someone at Akron has some big pull with OHSAA. Does not make any sense to have this game at Akron. Maybe Akron is letting them have the Facility for free. This game will draw at most 7,000 . Parma would have been fine.
For people in Mentor it is about the same driving time. 45 minutes.
Old 11-24-13, 03:38 PM
All Ohio

Forgetting the 5-10 mile difference, Akron is just a great facility period while Byers is average at best. Nice locker rooms, top notch track, really a great place to watch a game. I'm sure the kids will enjoy this venue more than stale Byers.

Plus, for Mentor fans, the trip from 271 to Route 8 is simple and won't be busy at all on a Saturday late afternoon.
Old 11-24-13, 03:44 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
The crowd is going to suffer big time on both sides. Just wait and see....

Hopefully your drive isnt as bad for your bandwagon team.
My limit is generally Columbus. So I'm good. Fortunately, Mooney rarely plays further away than that. This week they are in Canton. The Cards have played there so much lately that the car can practically drive itself there. That's an easy drive.

Northeast Ohio fans have been incredibly lucky over the last 10+ years with the finals so close.

Imagine being Ironton, or a Cincinnati team or all those MAC teams that drive 3+hours to Canton/Massillon every year. You don't see them complaining. Have you ever been to a finals game featuring a MAC team? They ALL come.

What's the farthest Mentor ever has to go? Maybe 60 minutes? That's nothing man. Suck it up. You really sound like a spoiled baby.
Old 11-24-13, 03:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by marathon345 View Post
Someone at Akron has some big pull with OHSAA. Does not make any sense to have this game at Akron. Maybe Akron is letting them have the Facility for free. This game will draw at most 7,000 . Parma would have been fine.
For people in Mentor it is about the same driving time. 45 minutes.
His last name is Tressel.

The same guy that got the finals moved to Cbus next year.
Old 11-24-13, 03:50 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post

comparing apples and oranges.......nobody is going to say, "wow, now I'm going to change my mind and go play for the zips"
Old 11-24-13, 03:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat97 View Post
comparing apples and oranges.......nobody is going to say, "wow, now I'm going to change my mind and go play for the zips"
I realize that. He's going to president of that school soon though.

Someone asked about UA having pull with the OHSAA. That's the 'someone'.
Old 11-24-13, 03:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Imagine being Ironton, or a Cincinnati team or all those MAC teams that drive 3+hours to Canton/Massillon every year. You don't see them complaining. :

WHAT?? Cincinnati fans not complaining about the drive to Canton!!! We sure as heck do; who the ell wants to leave sunny southern Ohio for the frozen tundra of North Ohio??? They do not even brush the snow off the seats- HEATHENS!!!!!

Sorry for derailing the thread, looking forward to watching the game on TV; good luck to both teams, but I am sticking with my pick for state champ -St. Edward-could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Old 11-24-13, 04:06 PM
Tired New Dad

Quote:
He's going to [be] president of that school soon though.
No he is not.
Old 11-24-13, 04:18 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
No, they likely won't. Historically, St. Ed's doesn't bring big playoff crowds, and TV is killing these state semi crowds.
I've been going to Ed's games for 6 years and all but a few games have had very large crowds....I even remember seeing a few Iggy people there

Let's hope for a large crowd to support these outstanding young men.

GO Eagles!
Old 11-24-13, 04:35 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
It is big enough. Probably would have 10,000 at the game. Maybe more if it wasn't on TV and the weather was decent. Byers can hold a lot.

There will probably be 6-8,000 total at Akron.

My guess is 80-85% of the Mentor fans who would go to Parma (40 min) would still go to Akron (60 min). Eds will probably lose about 1/3 or more of the people who would have gone to Parma.
Byers is pretty far off the highway. 271 to 8 isn't too bad. There's a good chance OHSAA had a multi-game deal with Akron, and they are looking more generally at numbers and sites than you are.
Old 11-24-13, 04:38 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperD1 View Post
I agree completely. Two Cleveland juggernauts for the chance at a title. Should definitely be at Browns stadium. But James Haslam is too busy trying to figure out his next rebate scam to worry about the kids of the people who built his stadium being allowed to play in it.
Wow
Old 11-24-13, 04:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelanoelle View Post
I've been going to Ed's games for 6 years and all but a few games have had very large crowds....I even remember seeing a few Iggy people there

Let's hope for a large crowd to support these outstanding young men.

GO Eagles!
Guilty as charged.

I was hoping to go to this game, but being at Akron, I will not be able to. Hopefully it will be on STO. Like I said, good luck to both teams.
Old 11-24-13, 05:18 PM
All Region

Quote:

Interesting thought.
Old 11-24-13, 05:24 PM
Varsity

OHSAA is not as concerned about attendance as they used to be. The money they get from STO more than makes up the difference for the smaller gates.
Old 11-24-13, 05:53 PM
All Yappi

The decision to have this game at Akron must have been determined in advance of this past weekends games. The ticket guys at the gate told me they would be hosting next weekend when I came into the game.
Old 11-24-13, 05:54 PM
All Ohio

I hope they don't televise the game than maybe some of you couch potatoes will go and support the kids.
Old 11-24-13, 05:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Then it must be off. I have friends in Akron and there is no way in hell that it is only 3 minutes further than Parma. The drive/parking will easily add 20-30 minutes each direction.
Stadium is right off of Rt. 8 and parking was ample (although the crowd was small this past weekend). I was out the gate and on 77 in 10 minutes after the game. Park in one of the restaurant parking lots (BW 3's) right across the stadium and avoid the main parking lot jam to get out if you attend.
Old 11-24-13, 06:36 PM
All Region

This should be a great game! Watched the Mentor-Iggy game last night and was very impressed with #30 from Mentor. What is his name and vitals (height/weight)? He is a very tough player. Ed's will be a handful for Mentor, but boy, Mentor has a creative, fun to watch offense. Should be a good one.............good luck to both teams!
Old 11-24-13, 06:38 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePride01 View Post
The decision to have this game at Akron must have been determined in advance of this past weekends games. The ticket guys at the gate told me they would be hosting next weekend when I came into the game.
Me too.
Old 11-24-13, 06:42 PM
All Region

Quote:
Me too.
This was a done deal yesterday, no matter if Mentor or Ignatius won.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
I hope they don't televise the game than maybe some of you couch potatoes will go and support the kids.
I am sorry to say most likely both d1 games will be televised live on TWC and STO. If the weather is lousy expect the gate to be lousy as well.
Old 11-24-13, 06:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Makes no sense to make the teams travel all the way to Akron when Parma is much closer for both. It is going to be at Byers.
They're already asking fans to take a bus to Akron for $15 -- so I guess it's there.
Old 11-24-13, 07:09 PM
All Ohio

Though Mentor has had a great run, there will have to be some turnovers by St. Edward for Mentor to win. St. Edward is the better team, but you only gotta be better for 48 minutes.
Old 11-24-13, 07:36 PM
Varsity

OHSAA obviously does not give a damn about people driving all over the state for a semi final game. This game should have been played at Bedford, Parma, or Twinsburg all great facilities. Next year moving the finals to Columbus also shows that the OHSAA knows nothing about scheduling. Canton and Massillon have been great hosts. If it 'aint broke don't fix it.
Old 11-24-13, 07:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone 22 View Post
OHSAA obviously does not give a damn about people driving all over the state for a semi final game. This game should have been played at Bedford, Parma, or Twinsburg all great facilities. Next year moving the finals to Columbus also shows that the OHSAA knows nothing about scheduling. Canton and Massillon have been great hosts. If it 'aint broke don't fix it.

So you're whining about driving to Akron and at the time saying Canton and not Columbus is okay for the finals? I wonder what the Moeller fans think?
Old 11-24-13, 07:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardzFan1 View Post
Though Mentor has had a great run, there will have to be some turnovers by St. Edward for Mentor to win. St. Edward is the better team, but you only gotta be better for 48 minutes.
You didn't give Mentor a great shot against Ignatius either. You have turned from Mr. Positive Mentor Fan to one who sees the glass as half empty. Get over it.
Old 11-24-13, 08:59 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyman View Post
This should be a great game! Watched the Mentor-Iggy game last night and was very impressed with #30 from Mentor. What is his name and vitals (height/weight)? He is a very tough player. Ed's will be a handful for Mentor, but boy, Mentor has a creative, fun to watch offense. Should be a good one.............good luck to both teams!
Bennyman #30 is Justin McMahon. He's 6-1, 220 lbs. LB and a Captain. He's taken his game to another level down the stretch and the Defense has been spectacular because of it. He is the total package and has all the intangibles that even the best coaches can't teach.
Old 11-24-13, 09:36 PM
All District

Anywhere for the hardware!

Quote:
So you're whining about driving to Akron and at the time saying Canton and not Columbus is okay for the finals? I wonder what the Moeller fans think?

MOE fans will drive to Ashtabula if needed to bring home the hardware! Don't share that with the OHSAA - they might just do it!!!

Finals should be in Columbus - in the center of the state - like most of the other Ohio High School sports! (As most of the other states do! Alaska excluded!)