Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Old 10-11-13, 01:21 PM
Fan of Eagle

St. Edward 2013-14

The Schedule

12/07 2:30 @ John Adams
12/13 7:30 vs. St. Vincent-St. Mary
12/14 5:00 @ University of Detroit Jesuit
12/21 7:30 vs. Warrensville Heights
12/26 TBA @ MaxPreps Holiday Classic in Palm Springs, CA
12/27 TBA @ MaxPreps Holiday Classic in Palm Springs, CA
12/28 TBA @ MaxPreps Holiday Classic in Palm Springs, CA
12/30 TBA @ MaxPreps Holiday Classic in Palm Springs, CA
01/05 3:00 vs. Mentor @ BW
01/07 7:30 vs. Firestone
01/11 7:30 @ Beachwood
01/18 7:30 vs. St. Ignatius
01/20 7:30 vs. Hargrave Military Academy (Virginia)
01/24 7:30 @ Cleveland Heights
01/25 7:30 vs. Benedictine
01/26 3:00 @ Dunk 4 Diabetes Classic vs. TBA @ Walsh University
01/30 7:30 vs. Gilmour Academy
02/01 7:30 @ St. John's Jesuit
02/08 7:30 @ St. Ignatius
02/11 7:30 @ Shaker Heights
02/15 7:30 vs. Cleveland Central Catholic
02/20 7:30 @ Villa Angela-St. Joseph

Last edited by EagleFan : 11-27-13 at 04:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 01:22 PM
Fan of Eagle

Palm Springs, CA has to be one of the longest trips in school history.
Old 10-11-13, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Palm Springs, CA has to be one of the longest trips in school history.
Your b-ball team was in California 2-3 years ago.
Old 10-12-13, 08:28 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
02/01 7:30 @ St. John's Jesuit
02/08 7:30 @ St. Ignatius
02/11 7:30 @ Shaker Heights
Ouch.
Old 10-12-13, 09:40 PM
All District

That schedule, especially with the last five games, will be an absolute beast.
Old 10-14-13, 02:01 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br. Joe View Post
Ouch.
SJJ has lost their best 2 players to graduation. A road game is never easy, but SJJ will be a shell of the team they have been for the last couple of years.
Old 10-14-13, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

A list of the top returning players?
Old 10-14-13, 04:31 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
01/20 7:30 vs. Hargrave Military Academy (Virginia)
Just to put things in perspective, Hargrave's first real game of the season is this Thursday.

http://hargravesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=pgbball&

Also, St. Edward is playing Hargrave's "Postgraduate" program, not their "Varsity" program. This is their roster.

http://hargravesports.com/roster.aspx?path=pgbball&
Old 10-14-13, 09:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerWildcat View Post
Just to put things in perspective, Hargrave's first real game of the season is this Thursday.

http://hargravesports.com/schedule.aspx?path=pgbball&

Also, St. Edward is playing Hargrave's "Postgraduate" program, not their "Varsity" program. This is their roster.

http://hargravesports.com/roster.aspx?path=pgbball&
That roster says 2012-13
Old 10-15-13, 03:24 PM
Yappi Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
That roster says 2012-13
You're right. Sorry about that. I just assumed that since they posted their 2013-2014 schedule, and their first game is a few days away, they would have posted their 2013-2014 roster as well.

I'm sure the general nature of it is the same, though. You have to be struck by how they're getting kids from coast to coast.

Last edited by FormerWildcat : 10-17-13 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-16-13, 09:51 AM
U.S. American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
A list of the top returning players?
Here are the returning guys I can think of:

G: Pat Riley, SR;
G: Malcolm Walters, JR/SR?
F: Tony Vuyancih, SR
F: Marsalis Hamilton, SR
F: Kipper Nichols, JR
F: Mike Ryan, JR/SR?

Two soph's I think we'll see on varsity are Flannery (PG), and Funderburk (PF/C). Flannery's ball-handling might be needed more then Funderburk's length. Funderburk will be fighting for minutes with Ryan, Nichols, and Hamilton. Drawing a blank on Juniors who could move up from JV and contribute (Dowell brothers?).

This team should be similar to last year's, but hopefully somewhat improved. They lose Royal Eddie at PG, and Tim Stainbrook at wing.

Outside shooting still probably the biggest concern for me, but that doesn't seem to be a point of emphasis for Flannery.

Last edited by sehs95 : 11-18-13 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-16-13, 11:21 AM
All American

I think you will be very happy with the improved shooting of Marsalis Hamilton. He had put in a lot of work and will be a tremendous player this year. I believe this team has a chance to get to Columbus. It will not be easy but they certainly have a chance.
Old 10-16-13, 11:50 AM
All District

Good luck this year. I really enjoyed watching this team a handful of times last year(what an electric environment for the Matar Dai game - and of course the St V-M game). I'm impressed with Kipper. I'm looking forward to seeing his development(also was a nice young man for the few minutes I talked with him).

Best wishes for an injury free year and winning all but that 2nd game of the year(Go Irish).
Old 10-19-13, 03:12 PM
Junior Varsity

Freshman point guard, a top 5 2017 player in state, should be on varsity by midyear.
Old 10-20-13, 08:37 PM
All Ohio

Should have them ready for the tourney. Hope it doesn't hurt their seeding.
Old 10-21-13, 07:09 AM
All District

CoachHoops I know the freshman you are talking about and no way is he ready for the varsity level at St Ed's. He is a good player and will be a good player in the years to come. He lacks size and strength right now to play at the varsity level.
Old 10-21-13, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFAN View Post
CoachHoops I know the freshman you are talking about and no way is he ready for the varsity level at St Ed's. He is a good player and will be a good player in the years to come. He lacks size and strength right now to play at the varsity level.
Agreed. Highly hyped freshman have a hard time finding a spot at power programs like St Eds. A few years ago there was a kid (Tyler Heron) who was from Willoughby. Came to St Eds after dominating middle school ball and was nationally ranked in his class. Even though he had enough size, he was strictly a JV player. Last year the Funderburke kid had a lot of hype and to my knowledge, he never played a significant varsity minute. It is tough to crack it at St Eds as a frosh.

Delvon Roe was the last freshman at Eds that I remember playing significant time on varsity.
Old 10-21-13, 10:33 AM
All Yappi

Pe'Shon Howard played a lot as a freshman during the 2006-07 season, but I think many people forget about him since that was his only season with the Eagles.
Old 10-22-13, 10:52 AM
U.S. American

Quote:
Originally Posted by hs sports fan View Post
Pe'Shon Howard played a lot as a freshman during the 2006-07 season, but I think many people forget about him since that was his only season with the Eagles.
I think he was also a 16 year old freshman.

There have been a handful of Freshmen who have played varsity over the years.

There was Damien Miller back in the mid 90's. I think he actually led the team in scoring, but the program wasn't that great back then. He was about 6'5 and looked like he was 25 as a freshman.

Gino Bartelone was also called up to the varsity his freshman year (93/94 season I believe), and played quite a bit of PG.

The following year, Steve Logan started at PG from day 1. He was a strong kid, even as a freshman. I believe Sam Clancy played a little varsity that year, but was mostly a JV player.

I'm thinking Frankie Dobbs played a little varsity his freshman year, but not sure.

Then there was Roe and Howard more recently.

Last edited by sehs95 : 10-22-13 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 04:30 PM
Varsity

Does St. Eds have the freshmen Tommy Schmock and if so, what level will he play for them this year?
Old 10-30-13, 09:52 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknut 2 View Post
Does St. Eds have the freshmen Tommy Schmock and if so, what level will he play for them this year?
Yes Schmock is at Eds. May not start Varsity right away this year, but he is definitely the point guard of the future. From the Buckeye Prep website:

Rob Taylor ‏@BuckeyePrep 26 Oct
2017's Tommy Schmock sits atop the list of PGs n his class. Possibly a younger version of Aaron Craft! Worth tracking
Old 11-01-13, 07:49 PM
Freshman

Rumor has it Kipper Nichols has left SEHS?
Old 11-02-13, 07:04 PM
Junior Varsity

Absolutely false...
Old 11-08-13, 01:44 PM
Freshman

Funderburk will see significant minutes this year. He is going to surprise those that have not seen him over the summer.
Old 11-13-13, 10:43 PM
Junior Varsity

When does Eds scrimmage again? What about Iggy?
Old 11-17-13, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

http://schedules.schedulestar.com/Me...ty/Basketball/

This schedule shows Mentor is playing Eds at BW on 1/5.
Old 11-18-13, 09:49 AM
All District

Might be a dumb question, but is Funderburke of any relation to Buckeye legend Lawrence Funderburke?
Old 11-18-13, 07:34 PM
U.S. American

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJay20 View Post
Might be a dumb question, but is Funderburke of any relation to Buckeye legend Lawrence Funderburke?
Different last name spelling. Ours leaves off the 'e' at the end.
Old 11-25-13, 08:21 PM
Junior Varsity

What football players will be joining the squad..Dowells, Riley and Geib? Those are four impact kids. Anyone else?
Old 12-04-13, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Norm Weber's preview

Quote:
A challenging schedule awaits St. Edward five laden with depth

By Norm Weber

nweber@sehs.net

With mounds of depth and a highly challenging schedule, St. Edward’s basketball team is seeking another successful season, expecting to culminate with a post-season run that could lead to another Final Four berth.

The Eagles return a good number of key student-athletes from the 2012-13 season and move up a decent amount of high quality players from the JV team that went 53-5 during their years as freshmen and sophomores.

This team has so much depth that Head Coach Eric Flannery and his assistant coaches had a hard time cutting anybody so they decided to keep 17 or 18 student-athletes on the varsity unit.

“At the end of last season, at the beginning of the summer, and at the end of the summer I asked my coaches to put lists together,” Coach Flannery said. “I asked them who the 15 guys would be and every time it was different. If we can’t make a distinction as a coaching staff, it would be unfair to the kid.

“If he could be in that top 15 at any time, he should be on the team. They are all buying into making this team better.”

Still, it is going to be a competitive year, both within the team and against other teams.

“There is a lot of potential,” Coach Flannery said. “If we were to just compare this year’s team to last year’s team, we do have more depth. We are a little bit more skilled than last year so at this point I think we are a little bit better team.”

The Eagles are just now getting their football guys back even though it is a week earlier than expected. Those include Pat Riley, David Dowell, Andrew Dowell and Frank Geib, who will probably play JV this year but might be moved up by the end of the season.

“We might not be able to use them for another week but they will help,” Coach Flannery said. “I am excited about this season but it is early and there is a long way to go. There are a lot of positive things.”

The Eagles have a lot of depth at a lot of positions. The four football guys will add depth at the guard position.

Also moving up from the JV team is sophomore, 6 foot-nine inch Derek Funderburk, who will be a big help on the post.

“He gives us some size and length coming from the JV team,” Coach Flannery said.

Also inside, the Eagles have Mike Ryan, who saw varsity time as a sophomore last year and brings some size at 6-6.

“Mike’s a lot better and more mature,” Flannery said.

Also back is Kipper Nichols, who spent his entire time on the varsity as a sophomore last year. Nichols at 6-5 ½ could go inside or outside and was one of the leading scorers on the team in ‘12-‘13.

“Kipper is a junior now and is more mature and knows what to expect,” Coach Flannery said.

For senior leadership, the Eagles will turn toward Will Meyer and Tony Vuyancih, one of the team’s leading scorer and the top three-point shooter last year.

Marsalis Hamilton, who was the leading scorer in several contests last year, will provide some strong inside and outside play and senior leadership.

Malcolm Waters, also a proven shooter from long range, will start at point guard and will be backed by Riley, who demonstrated flashes of greatness last year.

Phil Parente also adds depth at the guard slot and also provides some team leadership. Darien Knowles, who joined the JV team halfway through last season due to the transfer ruling, is also expected to get some quality minutes on the varsity team.

“When someone is not playing well, we have to just go to someone else who is just as talented,” Coach Flannery said. “We do not want to get into a place in which we are playing 12 or 13 players every night. We would like to get a seven- or eight-man regular rotation going.

“If out of those seven or eight guys someone is not playing well, guys 10 and 11 are just as good. They’ll wind up getting the minutes. We don’t want to play so many guys that no one gets a rhythm. It’s harder for them to understand their roles when there is not a solid rotation.”

It will be the coaching staff’s job to find that rotation.

“I think we have established that rotation, but that rotation could change throughout the year,” Coach Flannery said.

Andrew Dowell, the leading rusher on the Eagle eleven, will probably not be playing for another couple weeks since a football injury has kept him on crutches.

“We’re not going to push him,” Coach Flannery said. “He is going to take this week off. We’ll see after that. He was so banged up during football season that we want to give a kid like that some time to heal, not just to the point in which he is able to play but to the point that he is healthy. We want him to be 100 percent so we are giving him time to heal.”

The key will be to get a strong effort at both ends, which means defensively as well as offensively.

“Basketball is a lot like football,” Coach Flannery said. “You are going to have a bad night on offense at some point. You are going to have to shut down the other team on defense. To win championships, you have to rely on your defense. If we are going to hang our hat on something, we want to hang our hats on our defense.”

Offensively, this team will be like most Flannery-coached Eagle outfits in which the scoring will be distributed with multiple double-figure scorers.

“We are not going to rely on one guy to carry the team,” Coach Flannery said. “One night it might be Marsalis, one night it might be Tony, and one night it might be Kipper. It could be anybody. We will be known for that for forever. We have never have had guys who average in the 20s or 30s. Our offense is based around distribution and our team built on balance.”

There might be a night that Hamilton scores 30 or Vuyancih scores 25 or 30, but for the most part the Eagles’ top scorers will average 11, 12 or 14 a game.

The opponents should make them tournament-ready by the end of the season.

“I’ve said this and I mean it; this is the strongest schedule we have ever put together,” Coach Flannery said. “We could go 11-11 and play extremely well this year, but will be ready to make a run in the tournament.”

The Eagles will play each of the top 10 ranked teams in the city, including defending state champion Mentor.

In addition, they will play six nationally ranked teams including four at the Max Preps Holiday Classic Palm Springs.

The other two are HargraveMilitary Academy and Huntington Prep. They will be bringing 13th graders (PGs).

“Hargrave has eight Division I guys who are older than our guys,” Coach Flannery said. “We don’t mind (that they will be playing their 13th graders or post graduates).”

The won-loss record makes no difference to Flannery, his staff and his group of student-athletes.

“It’s not like football in which we have to establish computer points,” Coach Flannery said. “I don’t care if we could go 22-0 or 18-4; I just want to be as good as we could be come March. Our schedule is going to prepare us for that. We are going to be tested.”

One other key will be to go light on the individual play and heavy on the team play.

“We have more team chemistry than we did last year,” Coach Flannery said. “I am making a conscious attempt at putting more of an effort into playing as a team and taking care of the ball. They seem to enjoy playing with one another and that goes a long way.”

One other good thing about this team is that it is a group of good students with a team GPA of 3.6.

The Eagles open the season Saturday at John Adams and will start the home schedule the following Friday against St. Vincent-St. Mary.