Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Barberton Magics

Notices

Old 09-13-13, 10:56 PM
Cooling Off

BuckeyeInsider is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by frecriss View Post
Barberton's starting offensive line:

Jordan Grof 6' 210
Khalil Looney 6'2 255
David Denson 5'10 225
Tanner McLaughlin 6'1 195
Robbie Craig 6'3 265

NT Brad Kozak is 6' 240

I wouldn't say that is embarrassing. Maybe they just look small because the QB is 6'5.

But, there is not a lot depth. Bright side is that all of the above will return in 2014.
They did look bigger tonight. Idk if it had anything to do with Kenmore's Line being smaller than falls or what but they did look bigger... Which one is the Center ? Looks a little skinny to me..

Does anybody know what happened on the personal foul ? The one where the Kenmore player was down for awhile ?
Old 09-14-13, 06:25 AM
All Yappi

frecriss is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
They did look bigger tonight. Idk if it had anything to do with Kenmore's Line being smaller than falls or what but they did look bigger... Which one is the Center ? Looks a little skinny to me..

Does anybody know what happened on the personal foul ? The one where the Kenmore player was down for awhile ?
I believe they called spearing on that play.
Old 09-14-13, 07:03 AM
All Region

Time4Purple is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Barberton's starting offensive line:

Jordan Grof 6' 210
Khalil Looney 6'2 255
David Denson 5'10 225
Tanner McLaughlin 6'1 195
Robbie Craig 6'3 265

NT Brad Kozak is 6' 240

I wouldn't say that is embarrassing. Maybe they just look small because the QB is 6'5.

But, there is not a lot depth. Bright side is that all of the above will return in 2014.
Great post, Frecriss ! I was watching very closely who was playing on our O and D lines last night too -- and I was going to post the same info :-)

In addition to those above, I also saw few others:

Offense:
Jordan Grof 6' 210 JR
Khalil Looney 6'2 255 SOPH
David Denson 5'10 225 JR
Tanner McLaughlin 6'1 195 JR
Robbie Craig 6'3 265 JR
Dillon Hughes 5'9 245 JR
Montell Prigmore 6'1 225 SR

Defense:
NT Brad Kozak is 6' 240 JR
DE Josh Dantz 6-3 185 SR
DE David Long 5-10 195 SR
ILB Lewis Kafka 5-10 190 JR
ILB Griffin Harshbarger 6-2 180 JR
OLB Cody Hutchinson 5-10 195 SR
OLB Diamonta Smith 6-0 180 SR
OLB Brandon McCall 5-9 175 SOPH

So we are not huge... but not that small either... certainly no 140 pounders. It is interesting that we have no down-lineman or ILB playing both ways.... so at least we have enough depth for that. Also, as Frecris pointed out.. lots of these guys are coming back next year.

Just like with our big QB on offense, our 6-5 215 FS might help make the other defensive players smaller too.
Old 09-14-13, 07:15 AM
All Region

I was very impressed with our energy level last night. We seriously out-hit Kenmore. Gotta play a little smarter, especially when we have the lead... but I can't question our heart and desire.
Old 09-14-13, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

Just a note: The game with Kenmore in 2014 has been moved to week 9.
Old 09-14-13, 08:02 AM
All Region

Quote:
Just a note: The game with Kenmore in 2014 has been moved to week 9.
Know anything else about next years schedule?
Old 09-14-13, 08:09 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time4Purple View Post
Know anything else about next years schedule?
@Cuyahoga Falls
Springfield
Alliance
@Hoban
@Walsh(Tentative)
@Steubenville(Tentative)
Canton Central Catholic
Open(Probably Youngstown East)
Kenmore
Northwest

Last edited by frecriss; 09-14-13 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-14-13, 08:11 AM
All Yappi

Also, 2014 will be the last year of being an independent.
Old 09-14-13, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

Had to edit a previous post as the Magics have picked up Alliance for week three of 2014.
Old 09-14-13, 01:47 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I was very impressed with our energy level last night. We seriously out-hit Kenmore. Gotta play a little smarter, especially when we have the lead... but I can't question our heart and desire.
This right here, players wear getting low, wrapping up legs and attacked the ball non stop.. The energy is there for sure..

About the Oline and Dline, idk why but against falls they look about my size.. 180 but last night they looked a lot bigger.. Idk why but I would take back my comment about how small or embarrising small or w.e I said..

One negative thing to take away, the d looked really bad on screen passes..

All n all I enjoyed the game.. up until the last 2 mins ?......

Need to play smarter with the lead but I think Purple mentioned that..
Old 09-15-13, 07:56 PM
Varsity

cgamble is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are absolutely right. Most every team has some big guys. Its more a matter of depth. So big schools should be able to have a pool of 15 big guys form their line. Smaller schools may only have 5 big guys. So no depth and no internal competition. Barberton due to low player turnout is like a small school in many ways... nice skill position talent and some good lineman...but lack of lineman depth.
This is the Unknown Kid commenting on this profile. We have plenty of depth on our team, 6'5" 275lbs, 6'3" 260lbs, 6'2" 290lbs, 6'2" 250lbs, 6'2" 260lbs, 6'2" 230lbs. All big kids! That's our line plus more! Pound for pound bigger! We have more internal competition than Barberton has, so look up the facts.
Old 09-15-13, 08:26 PM
All Ohio

God'sCountry is on a distinguished road
Why r you still here?
Old 09-15-13, 08:38 PM
Varsity

Hey smart azz you're talking to a 16 year old kid now! So how about you watch how you're talking to him! He's sticking up for his team which he has every right to do. And it's none of you business.
Old 09-16-13, 01:57 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgamble View Post
This is the Unknown Kid commenting on this profile. We have plenty of depth on our team, 6'5" 275lbs, 6'3" 260lbs, 6'2" 290lbs, 6'2" 250lbs, 6'2" 260lbs, 6'2" 230lbs. All big kids! That's our line plus more! Pound for pound bigger! We have more internal competition than Barberton has, so look up the facts.
Thanks for helping to make my point. You just listed 6 kids at 230+. Exactly. Go look at a top d1-2 program and you'll find 20+ kids this size . 6 big kids is great for a d5-d6 wcl school. Norwayne has totally dominated WCL lately and there 2012 roster has 4 kids over 220 lbs.

So you should indeed have a very large line in WCL this year. Good luck in that big rivalry game against Rittman!

Last edited by Time4Purple; 09-16-13 at 02:33 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 02:09 AM
All Region

Quote:
Hey smart azz you're talking to a 16 year old kid now! So how about you watch how you're talking to him! He's sticking up for his team which he has every right to do. And it's none of you business.
You don't have to stick up for your team - nobody is talking about them. Something in the water out there in doylestown must be making people paranoid. If your a 16 year old football player then you should be studying or lifting weights -- not on a yappi forum about BARBERTON football.... or go post on the Chippewa forum.... and any of us interested in Chippewa football will read your posts there.

Good luck vs Rittman!!!
Old 09-16-13, 02:17 AM
All Region

Quote:
@Cuyahoga Falls
Springfield
Alliance
@Hoban
@Walsh(Tentative)
@Steubenville(Tentative)
Canton Central Catholic
Open(Probably Youngstown East)
Kenmore
Northwest
Thanks for all the info frecris.

Nice looking schedule for last year independent.... except I'd like to see Steubenville disappear.
Old 09-16-13, 02:42 AM
All Region

Quote:
Barberton's youth football program doesn't have a weight limit.
I think first time bigger kids could play was 2 years ago when they changed youth leagues. So now kids of any size can play but may not have been true when our current varsity team went through youth.
Old 09-16-13, 03:45 AM
Varsity

Even he's old enough to see the shots you were taking for no reason. Again we NEVER come to the BARBERTON forum unless provoked. You guys that get on here and say negative things about players, teams, leagues, etc need to realize that the kids read the stuff, and it upsets them. And his father and I will tell him what he should be doing. We don't need any advice from Yappi cowards. Thanks.

Last edited by cgamble; 09-16-13 at 04:19 AM.
Old 09-16-13, 05:50 AM
All Region

Quote:
Even he's old enough to see the shots you were taking for no reason. Again we NEVER come to the BARBERTON forum unless provoked. You guys that get on here and say negative things about players, teams, leagues, etc need to realize that the kids read the stuff, and it upsets them. And his father and I will tell him what he should be doing. We don't need any advice from Yappi cowards. Thanks.
Good luck in that big rivalry game vs Rittman! Go big blue!
Old 09-16-13, 07:38 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
I think first time bigger kids could play was 2 years ago when they changed youth leagues. So now kids of any size can play but may not have been true when our current varsity team went through youth.
I know for a fact when I first got to Ohio there was a weight limit but that's when Barberton was still wearing yellow and green uniforms.. Or yellow white ( I think they were called the knights ?
Old 09-16-13, 12:46 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeInsider View Post
I know for a fact when I first got to Ohio there was a weight limit but that's when Barberton was still wearing yellow and green uniforms.. Or yellow white ( I think they were called the knights ?
Okay, a little history lesson. In the 70's and early 80's, all the elementary schools had their own football team and there were NINE elementary schools. Then, as enrollment began to drop, schools began to close. Eventually there was only one team called Magics II and they wore Maroon and Gold. They eventually split and became The Magics(Purple and White) and The Knights(Green and Gold). Starting with the 1998 season, the two organizations merged and they all became The Magics. The weight restrictions ended around five years ago.
Old 09-16-13, 06:57 PM
All Ohio

magicfan
Quote:
Okay, a little history lesson. In the 70's and early 80's, all the elementary schools had their own football team and there were NINE elementary schools. Then, as enrollment began to drop, schools began to close. Eventually there was only one team called Magics II and they wore Maroon and Gold. They eventually split and became The Magics(Purple and White) and The Knights(Green and Gold). Starting with the 1998 season, the two organizations merged and they all became The Magics. The weight restrictions ended around five years ago.
Actually the Magics II and the Knights were not the same. The Knights were originally the Santrock Knights, of the YMCA league. The Magics II started later. The Magics II tried for a couple of years to get the Knights to merge, but Vince Steiner wouldn't do it. They eventually merged when Vince quit coaching.
Old 09-16-13, 07:15 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicfan View Post
Actually the Magics II and the Knights were not the same. The Knights were originally the Santrock Knights, of the YMCA league. The Magics II started later. The Magics II tried for a couple of years to get the Knights to merge, but Vince Steiner wouldn't do it. They eventually merged when Vince quit coaching.
I don't remember the Knights at that time. When I was in high school, I just remember the Magics II. I recall the Knights with the Magics, not the Magics II. I Learn something new everyday.
Old 09-17-13, 01:47 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Thank you Free.. Never understood why they were wearing yellow and green but it makes since now
Old 09-17-13, 01:48 PM
Cooling Off

[QUOTE=magicfan;5581323]Actually the Magics II and the Knights were not the same. The Knights were originally the Santrock Knights, of the YMCA league. The Magics II started later. The Magics II tried for a couple of years to get the Knights to merge, but Vince Steiner wouldn't do it. They eventually merged when Vince quit coaching.[/QUOTE

Yes when I got here they were indeed the Santruck knights...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: