Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Notices

Old 08-20-13, 01:51 PM
All Region

2014 17U Teams

Appears the Flames have updated and added to their roster.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-13, 03:46 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2Bat View Post
Appears the Flames have updated and added to their roster.
I don't recognize any of the names they added, but certainly notice the names that are missing. Tough to lose those two.
Old 08-20-13, 08:01 PM
All Ohio

Haven't seen any other 17U rosters posted yet. The Flames should be tough regardless. With their pitching and defense, teams usually have to really work for runs.
Old 08-20-13, 08:41 PM
All Ohio

Who does Vranesic play for? Thought he was a flames kid?
Old 08-21-13, 07:45 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Who does Vranesic play for? Thought he was a flames kid?
He was with the Flames this year but isn't listed on their roster anymore. He's one of the names I was talking about being prominently missing.
Old 08-21-13, 07:56 PM
All Ohio

Will be interesting to see where he ends have seen his name a bunch on PBR seems to be a pretty high level arm.
Old 08-21-13, 08:58 PM
All American

Vranesic is playing with the Ohio Elite 17u with Valentine.
Old 08-21-13, 09:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield Buckeye View Post
Vranesic is playing with the Ohio Elite 17u with Valentine.
There is a prime example of Valentine using PBR to recruit players
Old 08-21-13, 10:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
I'm not really sure what that means. Just to be clear, PBR isn't part of the equation. OE was the other team he was considering last season but the logistics were not workable at that time. Not because of PBR, but because several of his former team mates were also playing there. The only way I see OE benefit from the PBR connection is that they're more familiar with more players, although that same information is available to anyone willing to work for it.
Old 08-21-13, 10:51 PM
All American

Quote:
. I don't believe that is completely true. Chandler day is with Ohio elite Harris. He was relatively unknown until coach Harris got him going to pbr. Don't get me wrong he would have been discovered no matter what but day is staying with Harris. If u believe pbr is about getting kids onto valentines team then u r wrong. Valentine gets kids into colleges because he is a good coach
Old 08-21-13, 10:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
. I don't believe that is completely true. Chandler day is with Ohio elite Harris. He was relatively unknown until coach Harris got him going to pbr. Don't get me wrong he would have been discovered no matter what but day is staying with Harris. If u believe pbr is about getting kids onto valentines team then u r wrong. Valentine gets kids into colleges because he is a good coach
I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but he gets to use PBR showcases as a form of a tryout kid shows up does good hey contact me for a chance to play for OE. I'm not mad at him if I was in his position I would to and hey he got a great kid in joe
Old 08-21-13, 11:02 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Will be interesting to see where he ends have seen his name a bunch on PBR seems to be a pretty high level arm.

Latest 2015 ranking just released have at #6. I said in the past that I was always more impressed with his bat. But he was throwing in the mid 80s then. Looking at the numbers there are a few kids out there capable of a 91 mph fastball, but I've seen far fewer capable of hitting a ball 95 mph off a tee...especially at 17.

He was at the dodgers showcase in Dayton a couple weeks ago and Reb said he hit 91 there also.
Old 08-21-13, 11:12 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Valentine gets kids into colleges because he is a good coach
It also helps just a bit when a kid like Day has a 93 MPH fastball.
Old 08-21-13, 11:21 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I'm not saying he isn't a good coach but he gets to use PBR showcases as a form of a tryout kid shows up does good hey contact me for a chance to play for OE.
I see where you're coming from and I guess that's one of the perks. I would imagine the amount of time he puts in evaluating players and compiling data is far beyond what most would be able/willing to do. So he probably has an advantage there. However, unless you develop a reputation and record of success, then most players you ask to contact you will simply pass.
Old 08-22-13, 08:12 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlentless View Post
I see where you're coming from and I guess that's one of the perks. I would imagine the amount of time he puts in evaluating players and compiling data is far beyond what most would be able/willing to do. So he probably has an advantage there. However, unless you develop a reputation and record of success, then most players you ask to contact you will simply pass.
Still not sure I understand this supposed "insider connection" that PBR gives to Chris. The showcases are open to the public...the roster of attendees is posted in advance.....and the results are posted within a week or so afterward. Anyone who wants to know about the kids who are going to or who went to the PBR showcase has access to the same info that anyone else has. You guys make it sound like OEB is the only team offering these kids....and they somehow have to end up there. The kids are choosing where to play. Past results, reputation and success are what is driving them there....not PBR showcase results.
Old 08-22-13, 08:24 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
Still not sure I understand this supposed "insider connection" that PBR gives to Chris. The showcases are open to the public...the roster of attendees is posted in advance.....and the results are posted within a week or so afterward. Anyone who wants to know about the kids who are going to or who went to the PBR showcase has access to the same info that anyone else has. You guys make it sound like OEB is the only team offering these kids....and they somehow have to end up there. The kids are choosing where to play. Past results, reputation and success are what is driving them there....not PBR showcase results.
That's exactly what I said earlier and in the post you quoted. I'm not in the "you guys" group and stated that the information is there for anyone willing to do the work.
Old 08-22-13, 08:28 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlentless View Post
That's exactly what I said earlier and in the post you quoted. I'm not in the "you guys" group and stated that the information is there for anyone willing to do the work.
Lol....wasn't putting you in the "you guys" group....quoted the wrong post
Old 08-22-13, 08:30 AM
Freshman

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand the logic there. You say you got Chandler Day noticed by sending him to PBR, and then in the next sentence you say that Coach Valentine gets kids to college because he's a good coach and he doesn't use PBR to get kids on his teams.
What I think makes more sense is just to say it like it is. The Ohio Elite has a good program, they have good coaches, and YES there is an advantage to running PBR. Please don't tell me that you're not selling that to your kids !!
I would !!!!
Old 08-22-13, 08:48 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheno View Post
I'm not sure I understand the logic there. You say you got Chandler Day noticed by sending him to PBR, and then in the next sentence you say that Coach Valentine gets kids to college because he's a good coach and he doesn't use PBR to get kids on his teams.
What I think makes more sense is just to say it like it is. The Ohio Elite has a good program, they have good coaches, and YES there is an advantage to running PBR. Please don't tell me that you're not selling that to your kids !!
I would !!!!
first Chandler Day doesnt need any organization to help him now. He is one of the top recruits in the country. Pbr opened the flood door for him and his family. Yes the Ohio Elite sells that because of the connection, but dont get me wrong there are plenty of guys that hate pbr due to where they are ranked vs where the player thinks he should be ranked. So I guess it is safe to say that Valentine has an easier time to see talent than some other coaches due to pbr.
Old 08-22-13, 09:54 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedheat View Post
Latest 2015 ranking just released have at #6. I said in the past that I was always more impressed with his bat. But he was throwing in the mid 80s then. Looking at the numbers there are a few kids out there capable of a 91 mph fastball, but I've seen far fewer capable of hitting a ball 95 mph off a tee...especially at 17.

He was at the dodgers showcase in Dayton a couple weeks ago and Reb said he hit 91 there also.

He was #18 all of last year and has jumped to #6 is the past two months. Good for him
Old 08-22-13, 10:32 AM
Junior Varsity

Pbr nor ohio elite is the reason Day will pitch in college. Come on now.
Old 08-22-13, 11:18 AM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Well travel baseball these days is highly competitive. Your acting as if the flames don't recruit players? Why would a coach not use all his tools available to add a kid that throws 90+? This isn't the YMCA chief.
Old 08-22-13, 01:25 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 513Baseball View Post
Pbr nor ohio elite is the reason Day will pitch in college. Come on now.
no one said it was.
Quote:
Don't get me wrong he would have been discovered no matter what
Old 08-22-13, 01:42 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
no one said it was.
You said he gets kids into college because he was a good coach. And that was the end of the post. The kids get themselves into college. Playing in a high quality program like OE helps the kids get seen by more schools.
Old 08-22-13, 01:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by 513Baseball View Post
Playing in a high quality program like OE helps the kids get seen by more schools.
are you saying he is not a good coach? i know him, he is an excellent teacher and knows what the scouts are looking for at the next level. He teaches these skills. In addition the scouts listen to him so when he calls they generally come to watch his players. Not every player is a "shoe in" like Chandler Day, so the coaching and exposure can get these kids further along versus not being part of it. I know you are saying the same thing, I just wanted to clarify my point so it didnt seem like I was backtracking in the argument.
Old 08-22-13, 02:01 PM
Junior Varsity

Quote:
are you saying he is not a good coach? i know him, he is an excellent teacher and knows what the scouts are looking for at the next level. He teaches these skills. In addition the scouts listen to him so when he calls they generally come to watch his players. Not every player is a "shoe in" like Chandler Day, so the coaching and exposure can get these kids further along versus not being part of it. I know you are saying the same thing, I just wanted to clarify my point so it didnt seem like I was backtracking in the argument.
I was not trying to say anything about him not being a good coach. I never said anything of the sort. In fact his track record proves he is a great coach and teacher of the game. Just stating that players like Day ,are like you say, a "shoe in". And I don't understand how posters on here are getting upset about ohio elite getting Veransic. Why would they not try to recruit him was basically my point.
Old 08-22-13, 09:20 PM
Freshman

PBR has done a great job of providing a recruiting tool for kids who are looking to play at the next level....BUT....If you are a 17U Coach....I would urge you to try to keep any of your studs from attending any PBR events....They will steal your players!!!!!
Old 08-22-13, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
PBR has done a great job of providing a recruiting tool for kids who are looking to play at the next level....BUT....If you are a 17U Coach....I would urge you to try to keep any of your studs from attending any PBR events....They will steal your players!!!!!
Right...I sure hope you're joking and really hope you're not coaching. Keep your studs from attending PBR events for fear of them being "stolen"? Where to even start with that gem.

I guess the first thing would be that if you're limiting a player's exposure out of fear they may want to play for someone else...well, then they probably will want to play for another team. A player that's happy with their current situation is at no risk of being "stolen".

Of course, maybe PBR puts some super-secret mind control juice in the Gatorade...probably delivered by black helicopters and snuck in by guys wearing tinfoil baseball hats. And if you listen very closely to the walk-up music at PBR events you just hear subtle, subliminal messages: "Play for OE, play for OE, play for OE".
Old 08-22-13, 09:54 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapper View Post
Based on that post, I'm guessing maybe your players are going to PBR events because they are hoping to be seen (and picked up) by someone else.....lol
Old 08-22-13, 10:00 PM
Freshman

So you are telling me that you see no problem with Valentine charging $250 per kid to use a as personal tryouts for his team????...It has nothing to do with what team your kid is playing on, or if he is happy.....other than maybe a Midlan team, Valentine will be able to persuade players to join his team...I don't blame the kids or the parents..{OE have alot to offer)....I know we all try to get the best kids we can on our teams....but for him to run a recruiting service and use it to fill his personal team just seems a little unethical...But I guess all is fair in love and baseball...