Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Notices

Old 04-18-13, 06:18 AM
All Ohio

ptrsn is on a distinguished road
2014 Philo Electric Junior High Inv - 1/11/14

2014 ELECTRIC JUNIOR HIGH WRESTLING INVITATIONAL - "The Best of the Midwest"

Date: Saturday January 11, 2014

Location: Tri-Valley High School, 46 E. Muskingum Ave., Dresden, OH 43821

Times: Weigh-Ins: 6:00-8:00 am---Coaches Meeting 8:45
Main Tournament Wrestling Starts at 9:00 a.m. on 6 mats in main gym.
Exhibition matches start at 10:30 a.m. on 3 mats in Auxiliary Gym

Entry Fee: ALL ENTRY FEES MUST BE PREPAID BY WEDNESDAY JAN. 8.
Team (5-20 wrestlers): $150
Team (1-4 wrestlers): $35 each

Past Results and More Info: www.philoelectricinvitational.com Up-To-Date Thread: www.yappi.com

Weight Classes: 80-86-92-98-104-110-116-122-128-134-142-150-160-172-205-245 (2 lb. weight allowance- 80 = 82 etc)

Format: 32-man DOUBLE-ELIMINATION bracket
****Coaches, we will still be using a 32-man amended bracket for the main tournament. We will seed every wrestler and the top 32 seeds will be in the MAIN tournament. All wrestlers who do not get into the MAIN tournament will wrestle IN THE EXHIBITION TOURNAMENT which will be 3-4 man round robin pools. EVERY WRESTLER WHO COMES TO THE TOURNAMENT IS GUARANTEED 2 MATCHES!****

Seeding: Based on criteria and winning percentage: Winning % must = 80% or higher to be seeded on criteria. Tournaments that will be used for seeding criteria are: Tulsa, Super 32, Ohio Tournament of Champions, OAC, PJW, NUWAY, OURWAY, Philo, WSAZ, Twinsburg, Cambridge, OVC, Any State Tournament, etc.
***other tournaments as deemed relevant by tournament committee.

Bracketing: We will make every attempt to not have out-of-state wrestlers face each other in the first round.

AWARDS: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th Place Teams
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Place each weight class
Most Outstanding Wrestler (80-122 & 128-245)

Concessions: Available all day.

Notes: NO COOLERS! NO CROCKPOTS! NO OUTSIDE FOOD!

Admission: $7 Adult, $5 Student

Shirts: Tournament shirts will be available. T-Shirts for $15. Hoodies for $25.

50/50 Drawing: Tickets will be 1 for $1, 3 for $2, 15 for $5. Drawing held at 3:00 p.m.

Programs: Will be available for $2.

Questions: Email Ric Roe at ricroe7408911970@gmail.com or call him at (740) 674-7274 ext. 1312 (school), or call/text cell (740) 891-1970.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-18-13, 06:19 AM
All Ohio

If your team is interested in entering please email Ric Roe at ricroe7408911970@gmail.com. This thread will be kept up-to-date with the most recent team list and tournament information.
Old 04-18-13, 07:50 AM
Varsity

standup is on a distinguished road
Hi Ric:
For 2014, please add 75 pounds. I will not have a child at that weight in 2014; but I did in 2013. There are a great many 75 pound 7th graders out there. Wrestling has always been inclusive of all sizes; something I think mosts of us hold dear about our great sport. OHSSAA right now has it wrong by not having a 98/100 pound weigh class for high school kids. These days in Ohio high schools; wrestling is discriminating againsts the smaller kids... and it is a problem. There are many 7th and 8th graders worried about being a "small" 106 their freshman year; which leads to kids holding back a year; taking drugs to grow; and wrestling under-sized. All three I think MAY not be the right path. I recognize you may have zero influence in the high school arena..maybe you do..I just do not know. However, start to make it right in Ohio for JH..... make the 75 pound weight class for this great tournament. Do the exeperiment atleast for a year....look at the participants at 75 and compare them to the upper weights...that will either prove or combat my opinion. Thanks for your consideration
Old 04-18-13, 08:55 AM
Varsity

dceesbiggest fan is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
Hi Ric:
For 2014, please add 75 pounds. I will not have a child at that weight in 2014; but I did in 2013. There are a great many 75 pound 7th graders out there. Wrestling has always been inclusive of all sizes; something I think mosts of us hold dear about our great sport. OHSSAA right now has it wrong by not having a 98/100 pound weigh class for high school kids. These days in Ohio high schools; wrestling is discriminating againsts the smaller kids... and it is a problem. There are many 7th and 8th graders worried about being a "small" 106 their freshman year; which leads to kids holding back a year; taking drugs to grow; and wrestling under-sized. All three I think MAY not be the right path. I recognize you may have zero influence in the high school arena..maybe you do..I just do not know. However, start to make it right in Ohio for JH..... make the 75 pound weight class for this great tournament. Do the exeperiment atleast for a year....look at the participants at 75 and compare them to the upper weights...that will either prove or combat my opinion. Thanks for your consideration
Old 04-18-13, 09:05 AM
Varsity

Ranger123 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi Ric:
Agree 100%
Old 04-18-13, 09:54 AM
All Ohio

Lightweight4life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Hi Ric:
As a former wrestler who weighed 65 pounds in 7th grade (had to wrestle 80lbs), 75lbs in 8th grade, 90 pounds in 9th grade, and 100 pounds in 10th grade, I could not agree with this statement more! Please add 75 this year, Philo has the cream of the crop competition and I hope they allow a place for lightweights to display their talents.
Old 04-18-13, 10:58 AM
All District

CoachYing is on a distinguished road
If tournaments just added any weight classes they wanted what good would it be to have the OHSAA and a rules committee. And by the way 75 is a good weight many small kids. But they tournaments can't just do what they want and make up their own rules. They have set weight classes that has to be followed by National Federation and OHSAA
Old 05-15-13, 09:40 PM
Varsity

standup is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYing View Post
If tournaments just added any weight classes they wanted what good would it be to have the OHSAA and a rules committee. And by the way 75 is a good weight many small kids. But they tournaments can't just do what they want and make up their own rules. They have set weight classes that has to be followed by National Federation and OHSAA
The OHSAA has it wrong; period. Add 75 for Philo; what is OHSAA gonna do?
So tired of OHSAA and Nationally having it wrong about wrestling. High school needs to put back the middle weight they removed and JH needs 75.
Old 05-16-13, 10:37 AM
All District

LOL yeah so much for a governing body. Let the country run itself. Guessing your new to the sport.
Old 05-16-13, 10:10 PM
All Ohio

MPhillips is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachYing View Post
LOL yeah so much for a governing body. Let the country run itself. Guessing your new to the sport.
New to the sport or not....What does OHSAA have to do with it? This is an open tournament during the season.
Club teams, School teams and individuals. Some from out of state correct?
OHSAA? Governing body? Coach Ying, what are you talking about?
Old 05-17-13, 06:54 AM
All District

keato is on a distinguished road
Open tournament???? It's a tournament that costs your team or an individual two points!!!! So I'm pretty sure they are following the rules set forth by someone....
Old 05-17-13, 07:13 AM
All District

handwerkj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by keato View Post
Open tournament???? It's a tournament that costs your team or an individual two points!!!! So I'm pretty sure they are following the rules set forth by someone....
yes it is an open tournament.

OHSAA governs your team not this tournament. Philo has brackets set up so school based teams do not violate OHSAA policy of max number of matches per day. if Philo choose to add a weight class OHSAA has no control over them. Not sure if OHSAA can or would do anything if a school based team choose to enter a wrestler at an added weight class not approved by OHSAA. Would be sad if OHSAA did take issue with that.

Anything we can do to have more participation from atheleats is good for the sport.
Old 05-17-13, 07:19 AM
All District

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightweight4life View Post
As a former wrestler who weighed 65 pounds in 7th grade (had to wrestle 80lbs), 75lbs in 8th grade, 90 pounds in 9th grade, and 100 pounds in 10th grade, I could not agree with this statement more! Please add 75 this year, Philo has the cream of the crop competition and I hope they allow a place for lightweights to display their talents.
While we're at it... Can we add an unlimited class and 275 class too???
Old 05-17-13, 07:42 AM
All District

Thx Handwerkj....
Why is this tournament not govern by OHSAA????
Not trying to be difficult just curious...
If Philo can run a tournament like this why don't others???
Old 05-17-13, 08:09 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by keato View Post
Thx Handwerkj....
Why is this tournament not govern by OHSAA????
Not trying to be difficult just curious...
If Philo can run a tournament like this why don't others???
Dont misunderstand me, I am not saying Philo is going to add a weight class just saying they can if they chose. Jsut as they choose to allow non School based teams to compete.

OHSAA does not govern tournaments other that High school State tournament, they just put requirements on particpating schools that dictates how tournaments geared for schools will be run. Got to cater to your clientel.

I coach small club team that particpaties in many events that schools do. an expample one tournament we attended. when we got to consi finals they asked coaches if wrestler already had 5 matches that day. If they had they could not wrestle the consi finals or risk OHSAA sactioning. Since we are club team we could wrestle the 6th match that day with out worry since we are not school based team OHSAA has no control over us. Tournament does this as service to school teams so they do not break any OHSAA rules.

Remeber If you are planning a tournament and are concerned with OHSAA rules, make sure you do your due diligence and check rules for yourself do not go by statments made on Yappi. that is not a defense and just because it is on the internet does not mean it has to be true.
Old 05-17-13, 08:29 AM
All Region

Groundhog is on a distinguished road
"just because it is on the internet does not mean it has to be true."

So that means this statement may not be true. Which means the internet stuff may all be true. It's so confusing.
Old 05-17-13, 08:52 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
"just because it is on the internet does not mean it has to be true."

So that means this statement may not be true. Which means the internet stuff may all be true. It's so confusing.
sorry do not mean to be confusing. Just want to make sure everyone is cautious when they are making decisions.

My statements are from my interpetiation of 2012-13 Jr high wrestling manual and past experience. Since I am a coach of Club team, and not goverened by OHSAA I do not have to worry about the $1000 fine for violating OHSA rules
Old 05-17-13, 09:55 AM
Varsity

grappledude is on a distinguished road
Stop crying about the 75 weight class. Let your 73# kid wrestle 80# like I did.
Old 05-17-13, 10:00 AM
All District

Thx again....
Old 05-17-13, 10:07 AM
All Region

Groundhog is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwerkj View Post
sorry do not mean to be confusing. Just want to make sure everyone is cautious when they are making decisions.

My statements are from my interpetiation of 2012-13 Jr high wrestling manual and past experience. Since I am a coach of Club team, and not goverened by OHSAA I do not have to worry about the $1000 fine for violating OHSA rules
That was my feeble attempt at humor.
Old 05-17-13, 10:16 AM
All District

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
That was my feeble attempt at humor.
that is ok I am used to being laughed at.
Old 05-17-13, 02:09 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyes r burning View Post
While we're at it... Can we add an unlimited class and 275 class too???
Sure anything to increase participation in our sport. Does it offend you that their are JH kids who weigh less than 75 pounds or something? Dang dude take a chill pill.
Old 05-17-13, 08:58 PM
All District

Philo is not an open tournament it cost PUBLIC schools 2 points to wrestle in the event. And yes the OHSAA does govern junior high wrestling programs and tournaments. Not the Club teams not sure how the OHSAA even allows that to go on guess because their is no post season for Junior high. Junior High teams can only wrestle in a total of 14 regular season points and then 2 additional points if they have a league meet.
Old 05-19-13, 10:03 PM
All Ohio

Just to clarify for everyone...PHILO IS NOT AN OPEN TOURNAMENT. WE FOLLOW ALL OHSAA RULES AT PHILO. In years when we have WV teams we also get sanctioned by the WVSSAC.

SOME SPECIFICS
-OHSAA bylaws say it is legal for school based teams to wrestle against club teams. that is why we allow club teams. when an individual wrestler enters the tournament he is entering as a 1-wrestler club team which makes it legal for school team wreslters to wresle against him.

-We do not allow Ohio 6th graders to wrestle in the tournament. OHSAA by-laws say that 7th & 8th grade wrestlers cannot compete against 6th graders so we do not allow this.

-We have considered adding a 75 lb weight class as part of our exhibtion tournament. we have had a super heavy weight class in the past as part of the exhibiton tournament. those weight classes do not score team points and are not part of the actual tournament.
Old 05-20-13, 06:49 AM
All District

PTRSN very well put.
Old 05-20-13, 08:22 AM
All District

Quote:
Sure anything to increase participation in our sport. Does it offend you that their are JH kids who weigh less than 75 pounds or something? Dang dude take a chill pill.
No I have a problem with people saying idiotic things. There are 16 Jr high weight classes now. We don't need 17, but if you add 17 you might as well add 18 or 19 in the name of "increased participation". In case you haven't noticed, most junior high teams in Ohio have trouble filling 16 classes as is. I have seen the smaller kids you talk about here and there in a wide area of schools throughout the state, but I don't think they are in a large abundance as you infer.

This isn't biddy wrestling where the kids are not physically developed enough to protect themselves against a kid more than a few pounds bigger than him. 5 lbs at the junior high level (including the low end) doesn't warrant the addition of a new class even in "the name of participation". If you're worried about safety then do what a sensible coach does and wrestle him in exhibition matches against other smaller kids until he puts on some weight or let him take some lumps with kids a little bigger than him as long as you and the parents feel he is capable physically.
Old 05-20-13, 08:36 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
No I have a problem with people saying idiotic things. There are 16 Jr high weight classes now. We don't need 17, but if you add 17 you might as well add 18 or 19 in the name of "increased participation". In case you haven't noticed, most junior high teams in Ohio have trouble filling 16 classes as is. I have seen the smaller kids you talk about here and there in a wide area of schools throughout the state, but I don't think they are in a large abundance as you infer.

This isn't biddy wrestling where the kids are not physically developed enough to protect themselves against a kid more than a few pounds bigger than him. 5 lbs at the junior high level (including the low end) doesn't warrant the addition of a new class even in "the name of participation". If you're worried about safety then do what a sensible coach does and wrestle him in exhibition matches against other smaller kids until he puts on some weight or let him take some lumps with kids a little bigger than him as long as you and the parents feel he is capable physically.
You are making a large mistake if you think Philo wouldn't field a competitve 75 pound bracket w/ plenty of kids. Sorry it makes you so angry that we want to provide opportunities for kids of all sizes to participate in our sport. How does it affect you any if Philo adds 1 weight class, how about you just keep your foot in your mouth when it doesn't pertain to you directly?
Old 05-20-13, 09:12 AM
Junior Varsity

ColumbusJoe is on a distinguished road
My son's Jr High team has 45 kids. Couldn't even field an 80 lb kid until after Christmas when they got the 2 lb bump. Yes there are little kids, and yes it stinks for them, but I would bet money that most programs would struggle to field a 75 lb kid.
Old 05-20-13, 10:04 AM
All District

Quote:
You are making a large mistake if you think Philo wouldn't field a competitve 75 pound bracket w/ plenty of kids. Sorry it makes you so angry that we want to provide opportunities for kids of all sizes to participate in our sport. How does it affect you any if Philo adds 1 weight class, how about you just keep your foot in your mouth when it doesn't pertain to you directly?
Please read what I wrote again will you? Never said they couldn't field a competitive 75 pound bracket. I'm sure this tournament with its size and willingness to open it to club teams could make a bracket but honestly, it is unrealistic you'll find much more than 15-18 7/8th grade kids. That's not a very high number considering the amount of teams and kids that this tournament draws as an "open" tournament.

How do you know that adding this class won't impact me... because it will. Obviously if its kept to the exhibition part of the tournament then it doesn't impact coaches as much, but coaches will now have to make the decision then to keep a kid in the 80 class for the scoring tournament or enter the kid in the exhibition if they even have a kid low enough to wrestle that class. (I'm sorry. I know teams have a hard time getting one 80... let alone two...)

Officials will now have one more class to deal with in an already very long day. Philo would then have to consider raising their pay. Officials' sharpness and fatigue are even more relevant with the addition of another weight class. (Remember, the jr high level has additional weight classes over HS and College)

There are many things I think you haven't fully considered with exception for your own selfishness and short sightedness. Ultimately if Philo decides to do it and garners enough interest, more power to them if they are capable. I just ask that they don't let the vocal few's opinions decide greatly influence their decision. The weight class arguments are extremely old and the way and choice of decisions being made on this matter are typically done poorly.
Old 05-20-13, 11:18 AM
All District

Quote:
Please read what I wrote again will you? Never said they couldn't field a competitive 75 pound bracket. I'm sure this tournament with its size and willingness to open it to club teams could make a bracket but honestly, it is unrealistic you'll find much more than 15-18 7/8th grade kids. That's not a very high number considering the amount of teams and kids that this tournament draws as an "open" tournament.

How do you know that adding this class won't impact me... because it will. Obviously if its kept to the exhibition part of the tournament then it doesn't impact coaches as much, but coaches will now have to make the decision then to keep a kid in the 80 class for the scoring tournament or enter the kid in the exhibition if they even have a kid low enough to wrestle that class. (I'm sorry. I know teams have a hard time getting one 80... let alone two...)

Officials will now have one more class to deal with in an already very long day. Philo would then have to consider raising their pay. Officials' sharpness and fatigue are even more relevant with the addition of another weight class. (Remember, the jr high level has additional weight classes over HS and College)

There are many things I think you haven't fully considered with exception for your own selfishness and short sightedness. Ultimately if Philo decides to do it and garners enough interest, more power to them if they are capable. I just ask that they don't let the vocal few's opinions decide greatly influence their decision. The weight class arguments are extremely old and the way and choice of decisions being made on this matter are typically done poorly.
Nice post....