Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Notices

Old 03-11-13, 08:58 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
AP All-Ohio

Congrats to all of the young ladies on the AP All-Ohio teams:

Division 1:

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x19...asketball-team

Division 2:

http://www.cantonrep.com/newsnow/x19...asketball-team

I assume 3 and 4 will come out tomorrow/soon?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-13, 09:44 PM
All District

cagerwatch is on a distinguished road
SW Ohio

Cincinnati and Dayton are noticeably not well represented in the first 3 teams with just Katherine Westbeld of Fairmont on 2nd team and Kelsey Mitchell of Princeton on the 1rst team. Is the SW area overlooked or under represented?

The all District teams were a sham on every level. Sport writers are certifiably inept. Please let the debate commence.. .
Old 03-11-13, 10:47 PM
All World

Spencer
I thought it would be Hoover fans that would complain 1st since their booster presidents kid wasn't on the list.As they are on the boys side with all league.
Old 03-11-13, 11:04 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
cagerwatch, there's no one from our area on the top team, but you don't see us complaining? I agree press awards are very stats-based and thus unreliable overall but it's no a regional bias imho.
Old 03-12-13, 06:55 AM
All District

gmi4dad is on a distinguished road
MCGal
i think you just did complain in a round about way. After having a discussion with a player that is still playing about awards that she has won and the ones she has not. She summed it up best thier is only one award that really matters. And that is to bring home a state trophy with my teammates and my coach. And share it with the town.
Hard to argue with that additude.
Old 03-12-13, 07:07 AM
All American

oldmanfbfan is on a distinguished road
Congrats to all the girls that were honored.
A special congratulations to Ashley Morrissette(POY), Brooke Smith and Char-dell Dunnigan from my Tiger team and to Coach Julie Solis on a much deserved coach of the year honor. You earned it.

GO TIGERS
Old 03-12-13, 08:56 AM
All District

cagerwatch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
cagerwatch, there's no one from our area on the top team, but you don't see us complaining? I agree press awards are very stats-based and thus unreliable overall but it's no a regional bias imho.
MCGal not a complaint but an observation of fact. My issues reside more with the SW area sportwriters doing exactly as your suggest and just review ppg to determine who is a good player. Factually, the better teams 2nd and 3rd best players are far better than many of the best over achievers playing for conferences that lack competition.

I'm not sure a regional bias exists or any bias, but I submit that SW Ohio (Cinti, Dayton) had some very successful teams that ranked highly in the AP polls yet individual players were less prominently recognized.
Old 03-12-13, 01:10 PM
All District

KettHoops is on a distinguished road
Bianca Quisenberry as only Honorable Mention is surprising. Only one Fairmont player (Westbeld - 2nd team) is surprising. Zero players from Mason who were a foul shot in regulation away from the state Final Four. If Mason had no deserving players then their coach should have received coach of the year.

I suspect that those on the "media panel" mostly saw only players in their region play. How can awards like this be fair when most voters only see a small subset of the players statewide?
Old 03-12-13, 01:28 PM
All Region

CincyFirestormCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KettHoops View Post
Bianca Quisenberry as only Honorable Mention is surprising. Only one Fairmont player (Westbeld - 2nd team) is surprising. Zero players from Mason who were a foul shot in regulation away from the state Final Four. If Mason had no deserving players then their coach should have received coach of the year.

I suspect that those on the "media panel" mostly saw only players in their region play. How can awards like this be fair when most voters only see a small subset of the players statewide?
Actually, Kayla McDowell did get special mention from Mason. But I do agree. Congrats to all the young ladies on this list, and those who should have been.
Old 03-12-13, 02:56 PM
Freshman

Basketballlfe is on a distinguished road
Westbeld is top 5 in ohio fact
Old 03-12-13, 04:34 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyFirestormCoach View Post
Actually, Kayla McDowell did get special mention from Mason. But I do agree. Congrats to all the young ladies on this list, and those who should have been.
I see that now. Maybe I wanted to miss her so my rant would sound better.
Old 03-12-13, 04:41 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketballlfe View Post
Westbeld is top 5 in ohio fact
I agree but I have only seen GWOC, Mason, Princeton, Twinsburg, Tecumseh and a few other Ohio D1 teams and I am a Kettering fan so I am a bit biased.
Old 03-12-13, 05:11 PM
All District

golferforlife is on a distinguished road
While I agree that some of these people may have deserved higher mention, if you look the 1st team selections they are all of the District players of the year in each of the Districts. So not much voting done for naming 1st team All Ohio. I don't know which from the Central District was player of the year but the other was the one wild card then. This happen last year with Howard from Twinsburg. She was the only girl to make first team last year that wasn't her District player of the year. The girl from Canton Mckinley was the District player of the year last year from that District.
If you don't get named player of the year in your District, slim chance of being name 1st All Ohio.
Old 03-12-13, 05:54 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmi4dad View Post
MCGal
i think you just did complain in a round about way. After having a discussion with a player that is still playing about awards that she has won and the ones she has not. She summed it up best thier is only one award that really matters. And that is to bring home a state trophy with my teammates and my coach. And share it with the town.
Hard to argue with that additude.
I didn't complain at all, I think the lists are pretty legit this year from the games I've seen. I said what I did that cager agreed with that the press reporters can't possibly see everyone so they go based on straight stat line which in many cases doesn't tell the 'whole story'.
Old 03-12-13, 09:33 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Division 3:

http://www.cantonrep.com/highschool/...-All-Ohio-team

Division 4:

http://www.cantonrep.com/highschool/...-All-Ohio-team
Old 03-12-13, 09:54 PM
All Ohio

blue60 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
I didn't complain at all, I think the lists are pretty legit this year from the games I've seen. I said what I did that cager agreed with that the press reporters can't possibly see everyone so they go based on straight stat line which in many cases doesn't tell the 'whole story'.
I have to agree with you on this one. They seem to go off of one stat more then any other and that is scoring.
Old 03-13-13, 10:05 AM
Freshman

time4sports is on a distinguished road
I think you will find that scoring was not the leading factor in identifying the teams. The girl that led the state in scoring did not even make first team but rather second team.
Old 03-13-13, 12:03 PM
All World

User13
Quote:
Originally Posted by time4sports View Post
The girl that led the state in scoring did not even make first team but rather second team.
Which girl? Which division?
Old 03-13-13, 12:49 PM
All Ohio

dabbelt report is on a distinguished road
I believe Time is talking about Trischa Lacy from Urbana, averaging 30 points per game, and was listed second-team for D2.
Old 03-13-13, 06:05 PM
Freshman

time4sports is on a distinguished road
Scoring Machine

Yes, Trischa Lacy was the scoring leader in the state of Ohio for all divisions. She had 2 games this season where she put up 50 or more points!! She also broke the state record for 3 pointers made in a season. If any girl got screwed over it was her. I think a lot of people don't know about her because she tore her ACL her freshman year and missed half her sophomore year but as you can see stats don't lie and she overcame the injury.
Old 03-13-13, 07:36 PM
All District

denbigfish is on a distinguished road
Go Get 'Em Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanfbfan View Post
Congrats to all the girls that were honored.
A special congratulations to Ashley Morrissette(POY), Brooke Smith and Char-dell Dunnigan from my Tiger team and to Coach Julie Solis on a much deserved coach of the year honor. You earned it.

GO TIGERS
Congrats to all the players, coaches and good luck this weekend.

Kudos to Char-Del for that great photo of her on the front of the OHSAA BBall program representing Twinsburg !
Old 03-14-13, 08:11 PM
Junior Varsity

Ktown24Panther is on a distinguished road
Spencer - Peare was 2nd team and Worley was special mention.