Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 02-01-13, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Mentor Cardinals 2013

2013 Schedule:

Week 1 - vs. Erie McDowell
Week 2 - vs. St Ignatius
Week 3 - @ Euclid
Week 4 - @ Twinsburg
Week 5 - @ Brush
Week 6 - vs. Shaker
Week 7 - vs. Brunswick
Week 8 - @ Solon
Week 9 - vs. Hudson
Week 10 - @ Strongsville

After a memorable 2012 season filled with record setting offense (and probably some record setting defense, just not the kind of records you want to set), most of the starters return for what hopes to be another strong season. The 2013 seniors are a strong group that has stood out since their middle school days. The 2013 juniors went undefeated as freshman and JV. The 2012 freshman (sophomores to be) also went undefeated as freshman. In other words, three strong classes in a row.

On offense, the loss of a Mr. Football QB is irreplaceable. The return of all but one starters on the line plus a few dynamic skill position players will make the job of the QB a little less daunting. Fritts, Krizancic, and Plavcan are three senior receivers that should be the best in the state. Last year's sophomore surprise Eddie Daugherty should make a bigger impact whether at RB or WR.

The two big questions the team faces is how much of a drop will they see at QB and how much will the defense improve. Candidates for QB include Kade McClure (if he decides to play), Conner Krizancic (if he switches from WR), or possibly a sophomore-to-be QB. Personally, I hope McClure comes out for football and gets an honest shot at the job. Conner is a much better receiver than passer, so it would really take the offense back a step if he had to move away from the slot.

The defense needs MAJOR improvements from last year. Not much more can be said about that. The good news is most of the starters from last year are coming back, so room for growth and improvement is there. The bad news is most of the starters from last year are coming back.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 02-01-13 at 10:47 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-13, 08:02 PM
All District

MENTORFBALL is on a distinguished road
Question: would you rather have Krizancic touch the ball 7-8 times/game next year....or 60+ times/game? I vote 60+.

The smartest thing Mentor can do is move him to QB. They don't want to revisit the Sam Mayse style offense - running back based, immobile pocket passer. That's what Kade is and that's not Mentor's style.

5 excellent WRs works when you have a once in a generation QB like Trubisky. He could spread the wealth enough to warrant it. With Kade, I think you would under-utilize the WR crew.

We'll already have three top-notch WRs (Fritts, Plavcan, Daugherty) so moving Conner to QB just makes us that much more versatile.

According to the coaches I've talked to, Conner is all in with the move. Plus, it's very likely Kade will trim down to 2 sports, obviously baseball being his meal ticket. By the time he graduates he should be in the 6'7", 225 range ....which to me means being a potential MLB draft choice, especially if he's hitting 92-93 MPH by then.
Old 02-02-13, 09:46 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
It just depends on what Kade McClure wants to do. He should get an honest shot at the QB spot if he wants it because he has worked hard sitting behind Trubisky for 2 years. I don't think he is a Mayse style of QB. Kid is clearly a great athlete and I think he can be somewhat mobile. Have you seen him play basketball? Kid clearly has some speed and agility.

I would want a competition regardless. The good sophomore coming up should get a shot. Conner should get as shot if he wants one too. Best should play regardless of age.

The D is the most important part though. They were atrocious last season. If they are anything like that again, it will be a very frustrating season for me yet again. I still don't understand how there haven't been defensive changes in the system from the bottom to the top. I don't think our program gets the best out of the talent on that side of the ball. I mean they were mediocre with 3 D1 recruits in the front 7 in 2011. That shouldn't happen.

I am not very optimistic about the D because the kids returning don't have the fundamentals. I don't think they can magically learn how to wrap up and tackle in one offseason. The kids need to be learning this from the youth leagues on up. But the D was a disgrace last season so it wouldn't take much to improve on that side...
Old 02-02-13, 11:01 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MENTORFBALL View Post
Question: would you rather have Krizancic touch the ball 7-8 times/game next year....or 60+ times/game? I vote 60+.

5 excellent WRs works when you have a once in a generation QB like Trubisky. He could spread the wealth enough to warrant it. With Kade, I think you would under-utilize the WR crew.
It depends. Can Conner throw? We don't really know. If McClure can throw better than Krizancic, I will take the better passer and keep Conner at receiver. I agree that Trubisky was fantastic. But he looked even better with the great receivers he was throwing to. A strong group of receivers will help the QB.

Quote:
The smartest thing Mentor can do is move him to QB. They don't want to revisit the Sam Mayse style offense - running back based, immobile pocket passer. That's what Kade is and that's not Mentor's style.
As for comparing Mayse to McClure, that is laughable. McClure is a fantastic athlete, and he even showed he could be mobile last football season in mop-up duty. Mayse was a statue back there. No comparison at all besides the height.

Quote:
According to the coaches I've talked to, Conner is all in with the move. Plus, it's very likely Kade will trim down to 2 sports, obviously baseball being his meal ticket. By the time he graduates he should be in the 6'7", 225 range ....which to me means being a potential MLB draft choice, especially if he's hitting 92-93 MPH by then.
I am sure Conner would be in for the move. Who wouldn't want to play QB at Mentor? I hope the politics of his last name doesn't impact what position he plays. We saw what happened the last time a QB played because of his last name.
Old 02-02-13, 11:15 AM
All Yappi

The QB talk is nice but as I said, the defense is the critical issue. Mentor had one of their best two QB's in their history behind center last year and he and the WR's carried the team to the final 4. I thought they were going to go down in round 2 due to not being well rounded. Still didn't reach the ultimate goal but the way that team was built, Mentor overachieved to get to the final 4.

That can't happen this season. Nobody expects whoever is at QB to be like a Trubisky vs Tanski in their first year starting. If the defense is pathetic, the team will go nowhere. Sure they can make the playoffs because they probably will still be the class of the NOC. But if you want to make a run this season, the D will have to form into a good unit. That is the most important side to develop before the season begins.
Old 02-02-13, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

I love how our schedule has balanced out with Hudson moving to the top division.

-Brunswick/Strongsville are on opposite schedules being home every other year.

-Twinsburg/Hudson are on the same opposite schedules

-Brush/Shaker (aka 2 crossovers in the NOC) are opposite years

-St Ignatius/Solon are opposite years.

The travel really balances out and the opponents being home and away balances pretty well too. Plus the AD shifted the one rotating OOC game to week 1 which should make it easier to get a variety of opponents in that week.

Very well done with the scheduling. My only complaint is with the 2 scrimmages. One of the two should be home every year to get the families and fans excited for the season. Right now, they are both either home or away. I also feel like one of the two should be an opponent that is 30 minutes or less from Mentor. Right now the trips have us going to Stark County and the Youngstown area.

This is the only thing I would change. Schedule a closer opponent and have one home/one away every season.
Old 02-02-13, 12:03 PM
All Region

bbfan29 is on a distinguished road
Who's last name are you implying that played QB in the past? Knowing Conner & his Dad's background, neither would ever allow their name become a factor in which position he plays. That statement is simply absurd. Conner has proven himself in the sports he has played & certainly doesn't need any favoritism, nor would he or his dad ever allow it, in any position he is asked to play.
Old 02-02-13, 12:31 PM
All Ohio

bluedevilblitz is on a distinguished road
Mentors best bet is krizancic at QB how could you go wrong with the dual threat ability that helped make mentors offense so dangerous last year
Old 02-02-13, 02:15 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
It depends. Can Conner throw? We don't really know. If McClure can throw better than Krizancic, I will take the better passer and keep Conner at receiver. I agree that Trubisky was fantastic. But he looked even better with the great receivers he was throwing to. A strong group of receivers will help the QB.

As for comparing Mayse to McClure, that is laughable. McClure is a fantastic athlete, and he even showed he could be mobile last football season in mop-up duty. Mayse was a statue back there. No comparison at all besides the height.

I am sure Conner would be in for the move. Who wouldn't want to play QB at Mentor? I hope the politics of his last name doesn't impact what position he plays. We saw what happened the last time a QB played because of his last name.
You've obviously never seen Krizancic play QB. 7th - 9th grade. He can throw, believe me.

You can call my Mayse comparison "laughable" (you do seem to "laugh" at any opinion that doesn't match yours....but that's fine). Have YOU seen Kade play QB? I like that kid a lot, but if you think he's mobile, then you & I aren't watching the same game.
Old 02-02-13, 02:55 PM
All World

eaglepride
Sounds like a nice problem to have. Should be another fun year for the cardinals.
Old 02-02-13, 02:58 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MENTORFBALL View Post
You've obviously never seen Krizancic play QB. 7th - 9th grade. He can throw, believe me.

You can call my Mayse comparison "laughable" (you do seem to "laugh" at any opinion that doesn't match yours....but that's fine). Have YOU seen Kade play QB? I like that kid a lot, but if you think he's mobile, then you & I aren't watching the same game.
I have seen Krizancic throw only when he played QB on varsity as a freshman and a few flea flickers the past couple seasons. I have no idea if he can throw at a high level, and honestly neither does anybody else until he does it regularly against varsity defenses. After taking a couple years off from a demanding position and now trying to throw against varsity defenses - it will be an adjustment.

I have seen Kade play football and basketball. He is mobile enough for most teams in the state. I wouldn't be surprised if McClure is about as fast as Tanski was. I'm not saying he would be as effecient of a runner, but in speed alone I don't see a problem with McClure. If Mentor is more concerned about having a QB able to rush for 100+ yards, then Krizancic would make sense.

BTW, who played QB for the undefeated freshman team in 2010? Was it McClure or Krizancic?

For the record, I would like to see both have a shot as well as Brandon Parker and the QB who led the undefeated freshman team. Competition will bring out the best in them.
Old 02-02-13, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepride View Post
Sounds like a nice problem to have. Should be another fun year for the cardinals.
Trying to find a replacement for an All-Ohio QB is the real problem, and not one that is a good one to have. But that is the life. As stated earlier, the biggest problem is the defense. How much will they improve? Will the 3-3 stack defense remain? Can they learn how to tackle?
Old 02-02-13, 03:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardzfan1234 View Post
I have seen Krizancic throw only when he played QB on varsity as a freshman and a few flea flickers the past couple seasons. I have no idea if he can throw at a high level, and honestly neither does anybody else until he does it regularly against varsity defenses. After taking a couple years off from a demanding position and now trying to throw against varsity defenses - it will be an adjustment.

I have seen Kade play football and basketball. He is mobile enough for most teams in the state. I wouldn't be surprised if McClure is about as fast as Tanski was. I'm not saying he would be as effecient of a runner, but in speed alone I don't see a problem with McClure. If Mentor is more concerned about having a QB able to rush for 100+ yards, then Krizancic would make sense.

BTW, who played QB for the undefeated freshman team in 2010? Was it McClure or Krizancic?

For the record, I would like to see both have a shot as well as Brandon Parker and the QB who led the undefeated freshman team. Competition will bring out the best in them.
Krizancic QB'd that team. I hear ya, and I'm definitely not knocking Kade, as you say - a lot of teams would like to have him at QB. Who wouldn't want 6'6" with a nice arm?

One coach I talked to said the early pecking order is: Krizancic, Eiswerth, McClure, Parker. Main factors being Krizancic's ability to play the "Mentor style" and the overall feeling that Kade will concentrate on baseball & basketball.

Overall though a nice problem to have....choosing from a host of good options.
Old 02-02-13, 03:32 PM
All Yappi

Once again the QB won't matter if the defense is horrific once again. I would like to hear about improvements there going forward. Not really worried about the QB. Trubisky already showed that even being a Mr Football All Ohio QB can't elevate a team with a terrible defense to get to the ultimate goal. Without a good defense, this team will have pass happy fans happy with the fireworks during the season but once again coming up short of their first title.
Old 02-02-13, 03:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
Once again the QB won't matter if the defense is horrific once again. I would like to hear about improvements there going forward. Not really worried about the QB. Trubisky already showed that even being a Mr Football All Ohio QB can't elevate a team with a terrible defense to get to the ultimate goal. Without a good defense, this team will have pass happy fans happy with the fireworks during the season but once again coming up short of their first title.
Kent Berger could (and needs to) have an All-Ohio type season. He already has one DI offer and more will likely come. Nico Lautanen was one of the only bright spots on the defense last year. I really liked the way the sophomore played and when paired alongside Berger, the two will hopefully cause a lot of havok and be the strength on the defense. MLB Justin McMahon had mostly a nice season in 2011. If he can improve and be that strong middle linebacker Mentor has generally lacked, that will go a long way. Those are the three returning players that I saw the most potential for this season.
Old 02-02-13, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Not your fault the schedule is not tough, alot teams like hudson solon and twinsburg will have down years.It would be better if you had nordonia on your schedule , twinsburg wont win 5 games.
Old 02-04-13, 10:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
Not your fault the schedule is not tough, alot teams like hudson solon and twinsburg will have down years.It would be better if you had nordonia on your schedule , twinsburg wont win 5 games.
Mentor's schedule does leave a lot to be desired. The NOC is not very strong. Having seven league games is a big adjustment from the old schedule with four or five. Euclid and McDowell are 2/3 of the non-conference schedule. Both teams were ok last year but a far cry from the past with Eds, Glenville, Mooney, Massillon, etc. We will see how the NOC is this year. I imagine Solon won't stay down too long.
Old 02-05-13, 04:34 PM
All Region

If McClure decides to concentrate on basketball & baseball, I would agree. Why take a chance of getting hurt & ruining his chances for a scholarship in basketball & baseball? With his size (6'6") & agility, I believe he will be offered scholarships in basketball before he ends his career. He is having a good year & is improving each game. IMO,he will be recruited as a small forward or a #2 guard. He plays either position very well & I think he will really excel in his senior year.
Old 02-05-13, 05:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbfan29 View Post
If McClure decides to concentrate on basketball & baseball, I would agree. Why take a chance of getting hurt & ruining his chances for a scholarship in basketball & baseball? With his size (6'6") & agility, I believe he will be offered scholarships in basketball before he ends his career. He is having a good year & is improving each game. IMO,he will be recruited as a small forward or a #2 guard. He plays either position very well & I think he will really excel in his senior year.
You also said Jeff Foreman would get D1 basketball offers.

I don't think you have a concept of how special it is to get a D1 scholarship in basketball. Mentor has had ONE in the entire Coach K era and it was a very small D1 in Holy Cross. None of the players on this year's team are D1 college basketball players.

McClure already has his baseball scholarship to Louisville. He isn't going to do better than that in basketball (wouldn't even sniff a similar team). Louisville is top 20 in baseball coming into this year. He is smart enough to know which direction to go.
Old 02-06-13, 11:33 AM
All Region

I never said Foreman would get a Di scholarship. I said there was some interest in his potential at a small DI, DII level this summer at AAU shootouts, but he would need to have an outstanding year, which he hasn;t. As for baseball, I don't know of any schools that award FULL scholarships for baseball. They are all partial & are very few available, so, for example, if a scholarship is worth 50,000/year at a DI school, you may get 50%-60% for 1 year only & if you didn't have a good year that same scholarship can be awarded to another individual. My point is that if Cade continues to improve as he has in basketball, he might be recruited for a full ride at a small DI or DII. That would be a happy problem for him & allow him some flexibility & insurance of a scholarship. Do you honestly think he would have that same opportunity as QB after 1 year of playing time. You are making it sound as though you are the expert in recruiting & evaluating players & teams, but I can assure you there are many things about this subject you should check out before you make an absolute statement. I am certainly not an expert either, however, I try to check out as much as possible before I make a firm statement on a subject. This is not meant to be disrespectful, but is meant to be constructive. I suggest we all do a little more homework before we post on major points of interest.
Old 02-06-13, 12:50 PM
All Yappi

I know plenty on recruiting. I know you are completely off on D1 basketball and don't know what you are talking about. McClure is not a D1 basketball player and neither is Foreman. Me and cardz both told you that before the season started.

I never said anything about McClure getting a football scholarship. I doubt he would in fact. I merely said that he is smart for going to Louisville for baseball because he wont' beat that offer. That is a top 20 program in baseball going into this year. If he does that and doesn't want to risk it for football, I don't have a problem with that.

And if that happens, Conner K and the sophomore can battle for it. We are fine at WR so if Conner is the best fit at QB, they should do it.
Old 02-06-13, 01:03 PM
All Region

If you know as much as you say you do about recruiting , you shoud know that most basketball recruiting is done thru AAU participation & size is a tremendous advantage, especially in DI. I believe I implied " Potential small DI or DII".
Small Di could be schools like Lehigh, Dartmouth Lots of small DI southern schools, too numerous to mention. As for Baseball scholarships, what happens if Cade gets hurt or doesn't meet the standards of Louisville. Then what happens to the 1 year baseball scholarship? Does he keep the 50 or 60% or does he lose it? It happens every day.
Old 02-06-13, 04:54 PM
All District

ArmondoCates is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I love how our schedule has balanced out with Hudson moving to the top division.

-Brunswick/Strongsville are on opposite schedules being home every other year.

-Twinsburg/Hudson are on the same opposite schedules

-Brush/Shaker (aka 2 crossovers in the NOC) are opposite years

-St Ignatius/Solon are opposite years.

The travel really balances out and the opponents being home and away balances pretty well too. Plus the AD shifted the one rotating OOC game to week 1 which should make it easier to get a variety of opponents in that week.

Very well done with the scheduling. My only complaint is with the 2 scrimmages. One of the two should be home every year to get the families and fans excited for the season. Right now, they are both either home or away. I also feel like one of the two should be an opponent that is 30 minutes or less from Mentor. Right now the trips have us going to Stark County and the Youngstown area.

This is the only thing I would change. Schedule a closer opponent and have one home/one away every season.
I am curious to know how Mentor and its fans view Hudson football. They are new to the Valley and would like to hear what people think about their chances to compete with Mentor, etc.
Old 02-06-13, 04:54 PM
All Yappi

You do know that schools can pull your scholarship in basketball and football for stuff like that too right?

McClure is 6 6 which is nice size but he plays in HS like a big man. That isn't going to cut it at the D1 level in college. D2 and D1 are two very different levels so I don't know why you try to lump them together here. Foreman and McClure have plenty of chances to make D2 in basketball. They have no shot at D1 in basketball.

Now back to football though, who are some of the young guys that should play heavy roles next season?
Old 02-06-13, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmondoCates View Post
I am curious to know how Mentor and its fans view Hudson football. They are new to the Valley and would like to hear what people think about their chances to compete with Mentor, etc.
I think Hudson can compete in some years and beat Mentor in some years just like Twinsburg. I don't view them as at Mentor and Solon's level as programs but they definitely can bring competition in some years.

Strongsville is the team that needs to get their act together.
Old 02-06-13, 06:17 PM
All Region

Look at some of the DI recruits in the MAC & Horizon league teams & other smaller DI leagues & you will see what I mean when it comes to recruiting because of size. Some of those guys couldn;t even make DIII if it wasn't for their size. The difference in not renewing scholarships in DI & DII football & basketball is mostly because there are so many scholarship players & the reason not to renew very rarely is based on poor performance & ability, whereas in baseball, because of so few scholarships available, it could be for non-performance or ability because they may need it for another recruit the school feels is better risk. I don't agree with this policy, but, unfortunately & unfairly, sports like baseball, volleyball, gymnastics, lacrosse, etc, suffer the results . I believe this policy is unfair when it comes to scholarships for sports outside of football or basketball. Incidentally, I have a nephew recruited by a DI school for one of the lessor sports that experienced this very policy & had to transfer from a DI to DIII after the first year due to expense.
Old 02-07-13, 02:42 PM
All District

Quote:
Now back to football though, who are some of the young guys that should play heavy roles next season?

The obvious ones are the guys who played as Sophs. last year. They'll be key players as Juniors: Lautenen, Matsko and Daugherty.

Other possibles names (Jrs.-to-be) I'm hearing are: Brenden Parker, Kyle Tankovich, Trevor Morrison

Some Freshman: Matt Eiswerth, Alex Matthews, Jason Blizzard (not sure what kind of Fresh. year he had, but I know he came with some hype), Billy Hudson
Old 02-07-13, 07:18 PM
All Region

NC Res is on a distinguished road
Having watched the Mentor Jr. class (Sr.'s next year) scrimmage Hoover the last three years, who is the kid that was the freshman QB three years ago, and has been the backup the last two? Left-handed, seemed poised, and very good. Is that the Sr. to be that has been referenced? He looked good when he had opportunities when I watched him in scrimmages. Probably could have started for many teams last year.
Old 02-14-13, 06:51 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
Mentor fans should check out the PD artile on former Mentor football player Ben Pike, who has given up the remainder of his football eligibility at Toledo in order to care for his fiance', who is suffering from leukemia.
Old 02-15-13, 10:49 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
Mentor fans should check out the PD artile on former Mentor football player Ben Pike, who has given up the remainder of his football eligibility at Toledo in order to care for his fiance', who is suffering from leukemia.
Thanks for bringing it up. The News-Herald had the story out on Pike's decision a couple weeks ago. Very nice story. Puts football and life into perspective.

Edit: Saw on Twitter that Ben Pike was on Jim Rome's radio show today.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 02-15-13 at 02:47 PM..