Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Notices

Old 12-07-12, 11:59 PM
All Ohio

PBruin13 is on a distinguished road
Article: Jackson's tip at the buzzer gives Archbishop Hoban thrilling win over Padua

Battle. War. Fight. It was North Coast League basketball at it's finest.

Archbishop Hoban and Padua both battled back from multiple deficits throughout the course of Friday night’s boys hoops game at Hoban. Padua trailed by seven entering the final quarter, and the persistent Bruins clawed their way back to make it a one point game with 2:30 on the clock.

Confirming what most spectators predicted, the contest went down to the final minute. Coming out of a timeout and trailing 49-47, Padua Senior Tyler Ptacek was fouled on a three-point attempt and went to the line. After missing the first, the UNC-Wilmington recruit sank the next two shots to tie things up at 49.

As if the rest of the game was not exhilarating enough, the real excitement had just begun.

With the clock reading 3.6 seconds remaining, Hoban lobbed the ball down court, was tipped and eventually rolled out of bounds. Due to a glitch in the scoreboard, the clock did not stop and ran out of time, seemingly sending the game to overtime. After talking it over, the officials ruled 1.2 seconds were still left, and that Hoban would receive the ball on their end of the floor.

It was all history from then, and I’ll let Hoban Senior DeAllen Jackson describe it.

“We were in the huddle drawing up the play, and we weren’t really sure what to do. Coach told me to go up for the lob. I thought the pass was too high, but it wasn’t. I got up there and tipped it in for the win.”

Jackson tipped in the inbounds pass, giving the Knights a thrilling 51-49 victory.

“It was amazing,” said Jackson. “The adrenaline was going. As a basketball player, it was everything you could dream for.”

Jackson soared through the air, grabbing the pass from Jaelen Hollinger at arm's length and just mustering enough to put the ball through the net. Chaos ensued, as the Hoban students jumped off of the stage to mob the winners on the court.

"They just executed the play," said Padua Head Coach Jake Lantz. "That's a tough play to stop right there. [Jackson] is a good player."

But how did the game become this close in the first place?

The first quarter was a dogfight of its own, as Padua stormed back from a 7-0 deficit to take an 8-7 lead with 1:50 on the clock. The Knights led by two after the first, but the Bruins dominated most of the second quarter. Padua Senior Chris Link, playing in his first game back from injury, grabbed two of his four rebounds and scored four of his twelve points in the 2nd Quarter as the Bruins held a 25-23 halftime advantage.

Padua, coming off a 79-48 win over Valley Forge last week, increased their lead to 28-23 right out of the gate in the 2nd Half when Senior Matt Milliken drained a three-pointer. Then, the Knights donned their armor and went to battle.

Ten points scored by Jackson, three big rebounds and a put-back by Hollinger, and four more key points from Saadiq Muhammad sparked a 17-6 Hoban run encompassing nearly five minutes, putting the Knights ahead 40-34. After three, Hoban led 44-37.

There's no questioning this: Padua played their hearts out in the final eight minutes. A Milliken-to-Link connection, a three-pointer by Ptacek, and a steal that resulted in free throws from Ptacek helped the Bruins cut the deficit to 44-43.

The Brown and White trailed, 46-45 with 2:20 remaining when Link fouled out. The Bruins kept fighting, and were able to keep it a one-possession game in the waning moments.

"I told them after the game, they have nothing to hang their heads about," said Lantz, in his first year as head coach of the Bruins. "I couldn't be more proud. To play in this environment and the way we did and battled back will make us a better team.

"When we lose by five or less, I tell the team to blame it on me," he continued. "It's the decisions I make at different points in the game. I've always said that as a coach."

Ptacek led all scorers with 18 points. Link added 12, and Milliken tallied 11 at the end of the night.

For Hoban, Jackson finished with 15 points. Hollinger contributed 7 points and grabbed six rebounds as the Knights improved to 3-0.

Padua drops to 1-1, and now look forward to a road contest with Gilmour on Tuesday night.

"We're learning," said Lantz. "These kids have been successful in a lot of different aspects of their lives. When it comes to basketball, it's about winning games. We're still learning how to win."
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-12, 12:53 PM
Varsity

Errol_Flynn is on a distinguished road

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv3MG6OVXTI

Here's the gamewinner.