Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-04-12, 11:32 PM
DaytonSportsBeat DaytonSportsBeat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-02-11
Location: Dayton
Posts: 335
DaytonSportsBeat is on a distinguished road
Article: Springboro Holds Off Beavercreek

The Springboro Panthers opened this match-up of the Dayton area's best Division-I teams by knocking down 12 consecutive field goals. On its first nine possessions, Springboro scored eight times. By the time senior Jake Pfahl missed a three-point field goal, the Panthers had accumulated a 27-13 lead which would be the score at the end of the first frame.

But, Beavercreek is a tough team that went toe-to-toe with Moeller in last year's district final and already knocked off a very talented Middletown team in this young season. Even when trailing by as many as 20 points in the second quarter, Beavercreek never looked as though they would give in. The second quarter provided the Beavers with an opportunity to make a run. With 5:43 to go in the first half, Springboro's Ryan Murray, a talented senior point guard, picked up his second foul with Springboro leading 36-16. Murray had 13 of those 36 Springboro points.

In the next four minutes, the Beavers would attack that 20 point lead. Trailing 44-32, Jalen Camper and Alec Stein sank back-to-back three point baskets to force a Springboro timeout with 1:35 left in the half. Zach Rower scored inside for the Beavers to cut it to 44-40 but Springboro's Maverick Morgan executed an and-one for the 47-40 Springboro halftime lead.

Unofficially, Creek was 15 of 33 in the half including 5 of 13 from three and 5 of 6 from the foul line. After opening 12 for 12, Springboro finished the half 20 of 41 including 3 of 7 from three and 4 of 5 from the charity stripe. Morgan led Springboro with 18 first half points. Kyle Rader scored all nine of his first half points in the second quarter for Creek.

The third period was sloppier for both teams than either of the first two and it was also the time that Beavercreek's Jalen Camper started to take over. The smooth senior shooting guard had 11 first half points, but scored 10 in the pivotal third quarter. He swung momentum in Beavercreek's favor with back to back fast break layups to start the second half. Meanwhile, Springboro missed six straight field goals and two free throws to start the half.

Beavercreek was starting to roll. After Jarred Waters second triple of the period, Beavercreek had its largest lead at 60-53 with 2:45 left in the third. At the end of the third, with Springboro desperate for a basket, the Panthers missed an open fast break layup with less than 30 seconds to go. On the other end, Rader connected on a tough shot to give Creek a 64-57 lead heading into the fourth.

The fourth quarter saw Beavercreek score just 11 points while Springboro rode Murray and Morgan to 20. Morgan dominated down low, as he did for much of the night, scoring 8 points in the quarter to give him a game-high 30 on the night. Murray shook off a slow third quarter to put in seven points in the final frame. Here were some of the key moments of the maniacal fourth quarter:

7:06- Boro's Jake Pfahl fouls out with Boro trailing 64-59
5:15- Rader nails a deep triple for Creek to extend the lead to 69-61
4:16- Murray hits a three for Boro to cut the lead to 71-66
3:25- Springboro's Sean Kennedy hits two free throws to cut it to 71-68
3:22- Beavercreek's Waters fouls out, score still 71-68 Creek
3:10- Springboro's reserve guard Jake Varinsky hits the first triple of his varsity career, 71-71
2:54- Rader is called for offensive foul while Creek tries to inbound under their own basket
2:02- Boro's Morgan is triple-teamed in the post and turns over an attempted interior pass, 73-73
1:14- With the score tied 75-75, Creek's Rower is called for a travel
Springboro runs clock despite some good Beavercreek man-to-man defense
:10.2- Springboro calls timeout, tied 75-75
:04.4- Springboro looks inside to Morgan, who makes an aggressive move to the basket while being defended by Rower and Camper, a reach-in foul is called in the act of shooting and Morgan makes both free throws, timeout Beavercreek trailing 77-75
:01.6- Beavercreek had dribbled to half court and called another timeout to set up one last play
Morgan defends the inbounds pass to apply pressure, Creek inbounds to Kyle Rader who is guarded by Boro's Kennedy and the three-point attempt from the right wing is missed long
Final Score- Springboro 77 - Beavercreek 75

Unofficially, Springboro's Morgan, a University of Illinois recruit, finishes with 30 points and is rumored to have collected upwards of 20 rebounds and five blocks. Ryan Murray scored 20 for Springboro. Beavercreek showed a lot of heart, overcoming perhaps a record-breaking start for Springboro and playing without key post player Tyler Reasoner who missed the game because of injury. Creek got 23 from Jalen Camper and 18 from Kyle Rader. Junior guard Airius Moore contributed 15 points for the Beavers.

This Friday, Dec. 7, Springboro travels to Wayne while Beavercreek will play at Vandalia Butler.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-05-12, 04:42 PM
TiGgEr3 TiGgEr3 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-07-02
Location: The Land of Truth
Posts: 13,839
TiGgEr3 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to TiGgEr3 Send a message via AIM to TiGgEr3 Send a message via Yahoo to TiGgEr3
Great recap of what sounded like a fun game to be at.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-12, 04:43 PM
12penguins 12penguins is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-09-09
Posts: 562
12penguins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonSportsBeat View Post
The Springboro Panthers opened this match-up of the Dayton area's best Division-I teams by knocking down 12 consecutive field goals. On its first nine possessions, Springboro scored eight times. By the time senior Jake Pfahl missed a three-point field goal, the Panthers had accumulated a 27-13 lead which would be the score at the end of the first frame.

But, Beavercreek is a tough team that went toe-to-toe with Moeller in last year's district final and already knocked off a very talented Middletown team in this young season. Even when trailing by as many as 20 points in the second quarter, Beavercreek never looked as though they would give in. The second quarter provided the Beavers with an opportunity to make a run. With 5:43 to go in the first half, Springboro's Ryan Murray, a talented senior point guard, picked up his second foul with Springboro leading 36-16. Murray had 13 of those 36 Springboro points.

In the next four minutes, the Beavers would attack that 20 point lead. Trailing 44-32, Jalen Camper and Alec Stein sank back-to-back three point baskets to force a Springboro timeout with 1:35 left in the half. Zach Rower scored inside for the Beavers to cut it to 44-40 but Springboro's Maverick Morgan executed an and-one for the 47-40 Springboro halftime lead.

Unofficially, Creek was 15 of 33 in the half including 5 of 13 from three and 5 of 6 from the foul line. After opening 12 for 12, Springboro finished the half 20 of 41 including 3 of 7 from three and 4 of 5 from the charity stripe. Morgan led Springboro with 18 first half points. Kyle Rader scored all nine of his first half points in the second quarter for Creek.

The third period was sloppier for both teams than either of the first two and it was also the time that Beavercreek's Jalen Camper started to take over. The smooth senior shooting guard had 11 first half points, but scored 10 in the pivotal third quarter. He swung momentum in Beavercreek's favor with back to back fast break layups to start the second half. Meanwhile, Springboro missed six straight field goals and two free throws to start the half.

Beavercreek was starting to roll. After Jarred Waters second triple of the period, Beavercreek had its largest lead at 60-53 with 2:45 left in the third. At the end of the third, with Springboro desperate for a basket, the Panthers missed an open fast break layup with less than 30 seconds to go. On the other end, Rader connected on a tough shot to give Creek a 64-57 lead heading into the fourth.

The fourth quarter saw Beavercreek score just 11 points while Springboro rode Murray and Morgan to 20. Morgan dominated down low, as he did for much of the night, scoring 8 points in the quarter to give him a game-high 30 on the night. Murray shook off a slow third quarter to put in seven points in the final frame. Here were some of the key moments of the maniacal fourth quarter:

7:06- Boro's Jake Pfahl fouls out with Boro trailing 64-59
5:15- Rader nails a deep triple for Creek to extend the lead to 69-61
4:16- Murray hits a three for Boro to cut the lead to 71-66
3:25- Springboro's Sean Kennedy hits two free throws to cut it to 71-68
3:22- Beavercreek's Waters fouls out, score still 71-68 Creek
3:10- Springboro's reserve guard Jake Varinsky hits the first triple of his varsity career, 71-71
2:54- Rader is called for offensive foul while Creek tries to inbound under their own basket
2:02- Boro's Morgan is triple-teamed in the post and turns over an attempted interior pass, 73-73
1:14- With the score tied 75-75, Creek's Rower is called for a travel
Springboro runs clock despite some good Beavercreek man-to-man defense
:10.2- Springboro calls timeout, tied 75-75
:04.4- Springboro looks inside to Morgan, who makes an aggressive move to the basket while being defended by Rower and Camper, a reach-in foul is called in the act of shooting and Morgan makes both free throws, timeout Beavercreek trailing 77-75
:01.6- Beavercreek had dribbled to half court and called another timeout to set up one last play
Morgan defends the inbounds pass to apply pressure, Creek inbounds to Kyle Rader who is guarded by Boro's Kennedy and the three-point attempt from the right wing is missed long
Final Score- Springboro 77 - Beavercreek 75

Unofficially, Springboro's Morgan, a University of Illinois recruit, finishes with 30 points and is rumored to have collected upwards of 20 rebounds and five blocks. Ryan Murray scored 20 for Springboro. Beavercreek showed a lot of heart, overcoming perhaps a record-breaking start for Springboro and playing without key post player Tyler Reasoner who missed the game because of injury. Creek got 23 from Jalen Camper and 18 from Kyle Rader. Junior guard Airius Moore contributed 15 points for the Beavers.

This Friday, Dec. 7, Springboro travels to Wayne while Beavercreek will play at Vandalia Butler.
Offically 11 rebounds and 3 blocks for Morgan, who is solid if unspectacular. Mind you, I'll take solid so do not jiump my case for the comment. The key to this was two fold. beavercreek played without primary post player Tyler reasober, who will be out a few weeks with an ankle injury. And, The murray kid from Springboro played very well in spurts, making up for his worst game of the season last year at beavercreek.
Two very good teams...and a splendid atmosphere (other than the extraordinarily loud PA music, which was f'ing horrible). Springboro's students turned out en masse and were great.

Last edited by Yappi; 12-05-12 at 04:56 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-12, 06:19 PM
borowrstlr08 borowrstlr08 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-21-06
Location: n/a
Posts: 131
borowrstlr08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to borowrstlr08
12 penguins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penguins View Post
Offically 11 rebounds and 3 blocks for Morgan, who is solid if unspectacular. Mind you, I'll take solid so do not jiump my case for the comment. The key to this was two fold. beavercreek played without primary post player Tyler reasober, who will be out a few weeks with an ankle injury. And, The murray kid from Springboro played very well in spurts, making up for his worst game of the season last year at beavercreek.
Two very good teams...and a splendid atmosphere (other than the extraordinarily loud PA music, which was f'ing horrible). Springboro's students turned out en masse and were great.
any particular reason you like to bash two of boro's best players? lay off the kids.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-12, 06:36 PM
User13 User13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-23-01
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 3,378
User13
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytonSportsBeat View Post
Unofficially, Springboro's Morgan, a University of Illinois recruit, finishes with 30 points and is rumored to have collected upwards of 20 rebounds and five blocks.
Thanks for the article - good job!

Per the GWOC web site, Morgan had 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 blocks. I also noted that he had only two fouls, in spite of Creek penetrating right at him many times. Great game by the big guy!

http://www.gwocsports.com/bkGameStat...?gameid=149774
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-12, 06:39 PM
User13 User13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-23-01
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 3,378
User13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penguins View Post
Two very good teams...and a splendid atmosphere (other than the extraordinarily loud PA music, which was f'ing horrible). Springboro's students turned out en masse and were great.
Good point. It was even worse when the pep band played several songs at the same time the "music" on the PA system was cranked up before the game. Why would you do that!?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-12, 07:40 PM
12penguins 12penguins is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-09-09
Posts: 562
12penguins is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by borowrstlr08 View Post
any particular reason you like to bash two of boro's best players? lay off the kids.
Wow, not bashing at all. Complimenting. Morgan is steady... he is not overly emotional..goes about his business in workmanlike fashion... I will take substance over style any day.

As far as Murray is concerned, he played very well at the beginning and end of the game, and he had a bad game last year at Beavercreek. He played many good games last year, at Creek was not one of them. I think he had something to prove last night and he did so.

I never bash kids. I tell the truth. Never any intent to bash. Sometimes kids play well, sometimes they do not. I know it, they know it...this is not everybody gets a trophy land..time for the big boy panties at this age.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-12, 07:53 PM
12penguins 12penguins is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-09-09
Posts: 562
12penguins is on a distinguished road
Might also add, having seen a significant number of Boro games over the years ( Back to the 1965 Class Finals with Mike Blevins and George Burkhardt)...that this team seems as relaxed as any i have seen in the past dozen seasons. I always though their kids often played with concern that a single mistake was going to get them time on their butt instead of out on the floor and I did not see that last night. Even dating back to the James teams, The year the Big kid Adam that went to Miami, the Ballard teams and for a couple of years after with the kid named Nick Poor (?) can;t remember his last name and the stonecash group, I always felt that half of the kids on the floor felt that one mistake would get them seated on the bench.. this team did not appear to have that feeling last night. They played hard, they played through their mistakes and I think coach Byrne may be a positive influence in that respect.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-06-12, 10:27 AM
DaytonSportsBeat DaytonSportsBeat is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-02-11
Location: Dayton
Posts: 335
DaytonSportsBeat is on a distinguished road
A lot of times when I see teams with players playing carefree, with no regard for potentially coming out of the game because of a mistake, I look to the bench and see if there is any talent behind them. If not, they may know they are going to play no matter what. You're right though, coaching style can also have a lot to do with it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-07-12, 09:04 AM
SFIND SFIND is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-05
Location: Springtucky, Ohio
Posts: 3,883
SFIND
Really surprised in Springboro for this win. I didn't think they had it in them to run with Beavercreek for four quarters. This may have just won them the top seed come February.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-07-12, 04:23 PM
TopBillingSports TopBillingSports is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 02-07-12
Posts: 175
TopBillingSports is on a distinguished road
We're broadcasting Beavercreek at Butler tonight on the Top Billing Sports Network. We'll see how Beavercreek comes back after the Springboro game.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-07-12, 05:42 PM
fisher MAN fisher MAN is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 04-24-12
Posts: 220
fisher MAN is on a distinguished road
There's a long way till February. One game won't give them the top seed. However, come seeding time, I definitely would not be surprised if Boro was #1 and Creek was #2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:52 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.