Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-12, 02:26 PM
Junior Varsity

Going for a three-peat-Twinsburg

Game 1 is tomorrow against the runner up from Division 4 Berlin Hiland. Tigers have question marks as they only return one starter from last years team. Any thoughts on game 1?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-12, 01:21 AM
All World

Malina Howard was a special player. She's gone. A three-peat on state titles is not likely. They might get a three-peat of opening games.
Old 11-23-12, 10:18 AM
All District

Doubt even that, one of those games is Wadsworth
Old 11-23-12, 12:07 PM
All Yappi

Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Grizzwald, User meant a 3-peat in winning their opener.

Tend to agree with User, Twinsburg fans need to worry about getting out of their own district this year never mind winning state.
Old 11-23-12, 02:09 PM
All District

Ashley will be out the first two games of the season, and the team will miss her greatly for those two games. I believe that even with the absence of Ashley that Twinsburg will beat Berlin Highland today. The test will be Columbus Northland for the game tomorrow. Twinsburg girls will have a lot to prove this year. Are they up to the challenge? The first time we will know is on Dec 1 against Wadsworth, which so happen to be Ashley's first game back. I recall the same predictions from last year that Twinsburg would lose states and now the confidence level has sunken to a low of not making it out the district?? In fact, I recall these exact same posts from the exact same people as last year. I like the huddle predictions myself.
I saw Wadsworth team play quite a few times this summer and fall. They are well disciplined, well coached and have nice outside guard play. However, I didn't really see anything spectacular so I would like to know what makes you so sure of Wadworth? Mc Gal, lets hope you are right about Twinsburg not making it out the district, because we wouldn't want the same thing to happen to Solon this year as it did last year with all that excitement. BTW, I also saw Solon play a few times as well and from my observation this match up is going to be pretty close because both teams will have individual match ups who are athletic and aggressive. Either team will will need to stay out of foul trouble in order to win. These posts make for good reads sometimes and make for highly anticipated games. Good Luck to all teams.

http://www.jjhuddle.com/news/article...tions-and-more

Last edited by ILOVELBASKETBALL; 11-23-12 at 02:26 PM..
Old 11-23-12, 04:02 PM
Junior Varsity

I didn't know ashley was missing the first two games, im assuming its from the championship game on court action. That will make it tougher the first two games, I can't imagine that they will go deep in the rotation, not sure they have a whole lot on the bench to begin with. Good Luck Tigers, it sounds like they will need it.
Old 11-23-12, 10:54 PM
All Yappi

Ilovebasketball,

First, it's berlin Hiland... and second, I'm not hoping for anything one way or another. No 'dog in that fight' so to speak lol... just saying that the last thing that team needs is the pressure of three-peat talk.
Old 11-23-12, 11:08 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Ilovebasketball,

First, it's berlin Hiland... and second, I'm not hoping for anything one way or another. No 'dog in that fight' so to speak lol... just saying that the last thing that team needs is the pressure of three-peat talk.
Ok Berlin Hiland (you know what I meant). Second, who started the 3 peat post and who responded? Who agreed with USER? As a matter of fact, Let Twinsburg just worry about getting out the District.. Okay thanks that's what they will worry about.
Old 11-24-12, 12:41 AM
All Yappi

Ok now you aren't making sense... it's all good though. I'm sure Coach Solis has Twinsburg's kids focus where it needs to be
Old 11-24-12, 12:50 AM
Junior Varsity

Twinsburg beat Berlin Hiland in overtime 49-45. Exciting game, Brooke Smith- cleveland state recruit led the scoring with 20. Hiland had the game won in the 4th quarter, led by 10 and went into a stall that let the Lady Tigers catch up. 7 girls played for twinsburg with no Ashley. Although she was sitting the stands.

They play Columbus-Northland tomorrow at Reynoldsburg, that should be a bigger test. They will need to play alot better to bring home a W. Good Luck Tigers!!!
Old 11-24-12, 09:12 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketballmomma View Post
Twinsburg beat Berlin Hiland in overtime 49-45. Exciting game, Brooke Smith- cleveland state recruit led the scoring with 20. Hiland had the game won in the 4th quarter, led by 10 and went into a stall that let the Lady Tigers catch up. 7 girls played for twinsburg with no Ashley. Although she was sitting the stands.

They play Columbus-Northland tomorrow at Reynoldsburg, that should be a bigger test. They will need to play alot better to bring home a W. Good Luck Tigers!!!
A bigger test than an overtime win that probably should have been a loss if Hiland hadn't gone conservative? T'Burg will be tough again, but they have a lower margin for error than when Howard was roaming the paint. Nice opening win, should be an interesting year.
Old 11-24-12, 12:30 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfan2 View Post
A bigger test than an overtime win that probably should have been a loss if Hiland hadn't gone conservative? T'Burg will be tough again, but they have a lower margin for error than when Howard was roaming the paint. Nice opening win, should be an interesting year.
Champions find away to win so I would suggest that despite what the Hiland coach did or did not do correctly, Twinsburg won that game. It should be noted that champions win in good times and under adversity.......I will have more to say on this issue tonight after they play Columbus Highland. I should state for the record that I had them losing both games without their best player playing.
Old 11-24-12, 07:00 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by User13 View Post
Malina Howard was a special player. She's gone. A three-peat on state titles is not likely. They might get a three-peat of opening games.
That Twinsburg team is now 2-0 and there best player is now eligible to start playing. I would suggest to you that Twinsburg has a very good chance of three peating. Why? Championships are won with superior guard play and Twinsburg now has a secondary player who can put up 20 alongside the main player. If you couple this with Treed who should average in the teens and look at the manufactured scoring in the post that they can get from Dunnigan and Hobbes, then you begin to see why I like this teams chances of not only going back to Columbus but also of repeating as state champions for the third year in a row. If I appear to be star struck with this particular team, can you really blame me.
Old 11-25-12, 09:03 AM
All American

Twinsburg's first 2 games are the the toughest start of any team in the state. Playing the defending DIV Hiland team and then going to Columbus to play a very , very good Northland team. Doing all that without their best players and coming away with 2 wins is an outstanding feat and should be a warning for those who proclaimed the end of the Tigers. This TIGER team still has some roar left in her.

Oh yeah, that was a sophomore that scored the winning basket in the Hiland game and also lead the team in scoring against Northland.
Old 11-25-12, 04:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanfbfan View Post
Twinsburg's first 2 games are the the toughest start of any team in the state. Playing the defending DIV Hiland team and then going to Columbus to play a very , very good Northland team. Doing all that without their best players and coming away with 2 wins is an outstanding feat and should be a warning for those who proclaimed the end of the Tigers. This TIGER team still has some roar left in her.

Oh yeah, that was a sophomore that scored the winning basket in the Hiland game and also lead the team in scoring against Northland.
Old man those are some very good points that you made. You could be witnessing the building of a dynasty such as the one that was built by donte south of us in cincinnati at Mount Notre Dame. He ripped off four straight division one titles in a row. Ironically enough, Your head coach was down in Columbus with a team from Solon Ohio in 2007 I believe. What an ironic situation it would be if she did manage to rip off four ofive division one championships in a row.
Old 11-25-12, 04:51 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfan2 View Post
Definitely can't discount Berlin Hiland, even though they are DIV, their perimeter shooting is superior to many teams I have seen no matter the division. Hard to defend girls who can shoot from anywhere on the court.
Old 11-26-12, 09:15 AM
All District

Girls BB

Twinsburg starts Morrisette(12)- G, Bailey Reed(11)-G, Brooke Smith(12)-F, Mercedes Hobbs(12)-F and Chardell Dunegin(12)-C. These girls have had to wait their turn as Twinsburg had an outstanding group ahead of them. Each of these young ladies has had plenty of PT the last two years at a very high level of competition. They are all hungry to prove that they to can win the big prize. I would not want to under estimate this group, as it appears many on this and other threads have. Twinsburg still plays one of the toughest schedules in the state and it always shows come crunch time. Go Tigers!!!

The next 3 off the bench are a junior and 2 sophomores. The freshman team also has a wealth of talent. They all might not win state titles but the NOC is there for the taking for quite some time.
Old 11-27-12, 01:39 PM
All District

They looked good against northland so they will have a shot to 3-peat. They have one hec of a coach and if she gets to the state championship, that would be remarkable. Has she won coach of the year yet? She should have but will get it this year if she reaches the regionals and states again.
Old 11-27-12, 01:53 PM
All District

Twinsburg has some big games coming up starting with Wadsworth, who lost to them by 1 point last year with Malina Howard.... lets see them get through the next couple of week before we start talking about state.....
Old 11-27-12, 03:00 PM
All District

How many seniors graduated last year at Wadsworth?
Old 11-27-12, 09:21 PM
All District

I believe one.
Old 11-28-12, 08:26 AM
All American

Three graduated from Wadsworth last year but it does not affect the Grizzlies program as much as it would most others because of the 8-9 player rotation that Booth uses. The rotation appears to be involving 10 players this year so who starts is not that relevant, except for their point guard. I would suggest that Twinsburg lost more to graduation(Howard/Fechko, sorry on the sp) than did Wadsworth. Should be a great match up and the top game in the area for the non affiliated basketball junkies. Twinsburg should still be the favorite until someone knocks them off.
Old 11-28-12, 09:03 AM
All District

It will be very surprising if they can get by Wadsworth, Solon, Hudson, Hoover, Princeton, Reynoldsburg, and Hathaway Brown. I guess we just wait and see, starting with Wadsworth on Saturday. I think their "undefeated in Ohio" has seen its last days...
Old 11-28-12, 10:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by slfan1 View Post
It will be very surprising if they can get by Wadsworth, Solon, Hudson, Hoover, Princeton, Reynoldsburg, and Hathaway Brown. I guess we just wait and see, starting with Wadsworth on Saturday. I think their "undefeated in Ohio" has seen its last days...
Do you really believe that Twinsburg will lose to all those teams? I don't think so.
Will they lose to 1 or 2, maybe. When you play the schedule that Twinsburg does, you can lose a game now and then. The lady tigers will show up and play anybody. That is a fact. Some schools just pad their schedules. That can't be said about Twinsburg. I looked at the schedules of the top teams and HB is right there with Twinsburg and no one else comes close. So the odds are against Twinsburg as far as the schedule goes, but we will see.
GOOD LUCK LADY TIGERS
Old 11-28-12, 10:25 AM
All District

Quote:
Do you really believe that Twinsburg will lose to all those teams? I don't think so.
Will they lose to 1 or 2, maybe. When you play the schedule that Twinsburg does, you can lose a game now and then. The lady tigers will show up and play anybody. That is a fact. Some schools just pad their schedules. That can't be said about Twinsburg. I looked at the schedules of the top teams and HB is right there with Twinsburg and no one else comes close. So the odds are against Twinsburg as far as the schedule goes, but we will see.
GOOD LUCK LADY TIGERS
Did not say they would lose to ALL of those teams, said it would be hard to get by all of those teams...

Wadsworth's schedule is not so bad either, they play Hudson tonite, played a last year undefeated Manchester (and beat them by 50), Midpark, Fairmont who played Twinsburg in state final, Berlin-Hiland, Lima Bath who was in Regionals finals last year and Medina who just beat Midpark last week, maybe you should recheck those schedules :-)

Last edited by slfan1; 11-28-12 at 01:06 PM..
Old 11-28-12, 12:57 PM
All District

slfan1

Twinsburg plays those 7 teams you mentioned and plays Solon, Mentor, (both DI regional teams)Shaker Hts., and Hudson twice. In addition, they will be playing a nationally ranked team in the Twinsburg tourney and the Detroit tourney. Nothing against Wadsworth's schedule, but there is really no comparing the two schools. I'm looking for great game Sat. between two great programs and hope they play each other again in March at states.
Old 11-29-12, 08:19 AM
All American

Twinsburg 4th in PD top 25. Really? Twinsburg beat Columbus Northland not Reynoldsburg
Old 11-29-12, 08:20 AM
All American

Malina

Saw Malina on the BTN beat Neb. last night.
Old 11-29-12, 10:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Twinsburg 4th in PD top 25. Really? Twinsburg beat Columbus Northland not Reynoldsburg
If they beat Reynoldsburg, they would be #1 not #4
Old 11-29-12, 04:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourmama View Post
If they beat Reynoldsburg, they would be #1 not #4
Negative......until Twinsburg gets beat, they are the number one team in the area. The PD writers due not know what they are talking about if they still have Twinsburg 4th in their poll.
Closed Thread