Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Whitmer 65 44.83%
Massillon 80 55.17%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-12, 11:00 PM
All American

unclebob is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitmer_87 View Post
Was this said in jest, or did OHSAA announce that somewhere as a ticket limit?

I found an article online that said the attendance at the State Semi-Final game played on Arlin Field last year between Whitmer and St. Ignatius was only 9,427. I couldn't find the attendance published anywhere for the game in which Whitmer played McKinley (Regional Semi-Final) on the same field, but I think it was more crowded. If I am correct about the difference in attendance, my explanation for less fans on both sides at the state semi-final is that the state semi-final for the past two years (and again this year) falls on Thanksgiving weekend AND on the day of the OSU-Michigan game.
it was in jest ...ohsaa notoriously under reports attendance numbers ....as many shady cash only businesses do...
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-12, 11:07 PM
All District

Fielder1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
If the attendance last year was 9400, I think that's a pretty darn good crowd. Mansfield is 75 minutes from Cleveland and two hours from Toledo. This is the live TV era. Mid November, night, long drive...that's a good crowd.
and the same day as the OSU-Mich game?... thats pretty damn good. And BTW ignatius got ROCKINGGG in their student section... most impressive cheering section ive ever witnessed in person at a highschool level
Old 11-11-12, 11:13 PM
All Yappi

Oil Filter has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatAlum View Post
If the attendance last year was 9400, I think that's a pretty darn good crowd. Mansfield is 75 minutes from Cleveland and two hours from Toledo. This is the live TV era. Mid November, night, long drive...that's a good crowd.
I'd reckon that Iggy-Mentor will be the TV game. They all but announced that at some point in the Ed-Mentor game. STO really seems to be staying close to home this year -- and the SWO delay games games are all picked up from TWC.

This game could be close to a sellout, as the bandwagoners are coming out of the woodwork in Massillon. The one thing that might argue against that is an even ticket split. IIRC, it's pretty much equal seating on both sides of the field. I can't imagine that OHSAA will give either school more tickets than "their" side can hold. But then, even 6000 presale tickets would be a lot for either school to sell.
Old 11-11-12, 11:14 PM
Yappi Supporter

FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitmer87 View Post
Anybody have suggestions on a nice kid friendly hotel with a pool in the Mansfield area?
You might want to check out Mohican State Park Lodge.

http://www.mohicanstateparklodge.com/

Old 11-11-12, 11:20 PM
All Ohio

Mtowntiger0789 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Filter View Post
I'd reckon that Iggy-Mentor will be the TV game. They all but announced that at some point in the Ed-Mentor game. STO really seems to be staying close to home this year -- and the SWO delay games games are all picked up from TWC.

This game could be close to a sellout, as the bandwagoners are coming out of the woodwork in Massillon. The one thing that might argue against that is an even ticket split. IIRC, it's pretty much equal seating on both sides of the field. I can't imagine that OHSAA will give either school more tickets than "their" side can hold. But then, even 6000 presale tickets would be a lot for either school to sell.
How big is the stadium like how many does it hold
Old 11-11-12, 11:26 PM
All Yappi

Old 11-11-12, 11:28 PM
All American

theres alot of intrigue and questions in this one and that builds the excitement for me ...I am feeling more comfortable than apprehensive for this one though...

my reasons ......

since the GO game in week 2 the kids have not been out hit.....the Eagles delivered a lasting wake up call for the players that night...ty for that

since week 2 the coaching staff was shaken from brain lock....in order to be effective running the ball...you need to commit to it...and stick with it....it was if they were so enamoured with the idea of all the cool shiny toys to the teams detriment...

the balance this team displays gives me some confidence ...this team has the ability to run and pass through underneath or up top...whatever the defense gives...

the defense has shown the ability to take teams out what they are most comfortable doing....

injuries have developed some quality depth...this team has more depth than i have seen from us in years...

most importantly ...these kids are having a blast....ive seen our teams in the past get tired ..sometimes even lethargic in deep playoff runs...this group is chomping at the bit to get to practice monday...

do I feel good about our chances ....yea ...do i think whitmer is talented enough to beat us even if we play well....i suspect so...

ill have a much better idea saturday around 10 30 though....lol
Old 11-11-12, 11:35 PM
All American

Quote:

i dont care if its a live tv and in a monsoon ...id be shocked if our presale was under 6000 .....

if i remember that little hill beneath the scoreboard is a great place to stretch out and enjoy the game..is that still the case?
Old 11-11-12, 11:38 PM
All Yappi

Two stats from last Saturday's game that will jump out at Whitmer's coaches:
- Giving up only 33 yards rushing to the McKinley QB.
- The "high-powered, pass-happy" Massillon offense only threw 4 passes in the second half; they pounded the ball down McKinley's throat with ~130 yards on the ground.
Old 11-11-12, 11:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebob View Post
i dont care if its a live tv and in a monsoon ...id be shocked if our presale was under 6000 .....
It will be under 6000 if OHSAA gives us less than 6000. I wouldn't expect that OHSAA would give either school more tickets than their stands can seat, and I wouldn't expect any unsold tickets to be transferred between schools. Anything leftover will be sold at the gate, but human nature being what it is, a lot of folks won't go to the game without a ticket in hand.
Old 11-11-12, 11:58 PM
All Yappi

CatAlum is on a distinguished road
FWIW...I'd guess Whitmer only had 30-40% of the crowd last year vs. Ignatius. Seems unlikely to me that Whitmer would bring more this year.
Old 11-12-12, 12:18 AM
All District

dopamine is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Who cares where it is. Can Massillon upset Whitmer?
I know they pounded McKinley last year and McKinley was favored.
Old 11-12-12, 12:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
In what universe (outside the barbershop) was McKinley favored over Whitmer last year?
Old 11-12-12, 12:46 AM
All American

Quote:
It will be under 6000 if OHSAA gives us less than 6000. I wouldn't expect that OHSAA would give either school more tickets than their stands can seat, and I wouldn't expect any unsold tickets to be transferred between schools. Anything leftover will be sold at the gate, but human nature being what it is, a lot of folks won't go to the game without a ticket in hand.
i would bet michelle asks for 6k and likely be given it....

and yeah i agree with you about the game film on McK deuce ...that was a great team effort against a very explosive runner...thats oughta get their attention a wee bit ...

i was pleasantly surprised...
Old 11-12-12, 01:20 AM
Varsity

FatJosh20 is on a distinguished road
Here is my constructive take on the game

As far as Whitmer goes, their defense has a step up in competition every week and I wasn't expecting a shut down defense like last year. We still have Jack Linch, Marquise Moore, Marcus Elliott, Nate Holley & Devin Thomas on defense. Nobody that stands out really except Moore, but it's a team effort that keeps us in the game. We have created turnovers that has kept us in games. Going back to the Central Catholic game, I can count in my head that I can remember at least 13 or 14 turnovers in the last 3 games, majority of them causing fumbles. I believe we recovered 3 fumbles and had a pick or two against Hudson. Our weakness was that we let them drive on us willingly. If it wasn't for the turnovers, Whitmer most likely would have lost that game. Whitmer needs to fix these problems, which I'm not really optimistic they will, in order to be successful against Massillons offense. We pretty much let Ben Gedeon run all over us and let Mitchell Guadagni get pass happy, finding open WR's and nobody was covering the screen. They picked up the screen in the 3rd Q, but the way Whitmer's defense played was unacceptable to me, except for the turnovers.

On the other side of the ball, Massillon will have to worry about 3 of our guys running it. Similar to the last few years, we've had a 3 player run attack. Nick Holley, our QB, is a better scrambler and passer, in my honest opinion, than who we had the last couple of years. Holley pretty much about runs a buck fifty every game. To compliment the running game, Tre Sterritt and Me'Gail Frisch add onto the running game, Sterritt being the main contributor. Also runs about 100+ a game almost every game. Passing game is underrated in my opinion. It was used alot against Avon Lake, not so much against Hudson as they couldn't stop our run attack. Holley usually only makes about 15 pass attempts a game, connecting on more than 50% of his passes usually. He pass over 260 yards against Avon Lake, I think the most passes he attempted in a game so far, but don't sleep on his passing game. Our running attack has been good in pretty much every game and he hasn't need to pass much.

I know it don't mean much to you Massillon guys, but we are #3 in Div I football for a reason.

All in all, if last week's Whitmer team shows up that played Hudson, Tigers will win no doubt, which is why I'm going to side with Massillon here to edge the Panthers by no more than double digits. I hope I am wrong and that a better Whitmer team shows up in Mansfield on Saturday night.
Old 11-12-12, 02:40 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Call me crazy but I think Massillon has a chance, and a decent chance at that...
Old 11-12-12, 06:51 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Lets talk about a game between two very good teams.

I like Arlin a lot. Great place to see a game.
IB, you never actualy said anything ABOUT THE GAME. What's your take? What's with the mistakes and penalties? Were the kids jittery? They went into the locker room looking defeated and came out on fire! Sounds like a great halftime coaching job went on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitmer_87 View Post
I think you are referencing Whitmer and Central as City League schools (which we WERE) but we are now the TRAC, of course.

I'm not the best on history, and you asked about the bigger divisions, so this actually isn't a great answer, but NW Ohio overall in the divisions had a strong showing in regional playoffs in 2010. According to the brackets which are still on the web from another popular sports forum site, I uncovered the following as being in the Regional Final in 2010:

Division I -- Toledo Whitmer and Toledo St. John's faced off in Regional Final

Division II -- no presence in Regional Final, but Maumee in Regional Semi-Final

Division III -- Tiffin Columbian in Regional Finals

Division IV -- Genoa -- in Regional Finals

Division VI -- Lima Central Catholic -- in Regional Finals

Division VI -- Delphos St. John's -- 2010 STATE CHAMP
Thanks. Yeah most other than 2010 are small school. 2012: Three teams in regional finals, Whitmer, Central Catholic and I include Napolean since they are in a mostly local league. I didn't really think they were going to get through Bryan (BTW: Congrats to CCHS for putting on a great game and pushing the critics aside).

Go Toledo City League!!!!
Old 11-12-12, 08:02 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
LOL, no they weren't....not even close. Whitmer was easily the best team in R2 last year. The good news for Massillon is that they aren't playing last year's Whitmer team.

I think the key for Whitmer in this game is to make Massillon too one-dimensional on offense. If Massillon is able to use the run to set up the pass or vice versa, I think it'll be a rough night for Whitmer.
Old 11-12-12, 08:08 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Cal preps had whitmer as 12 point favorite over mckinley.
Old 11-12-12, 08:40 AM
Grumpy

EagleFan will become famous soon enough
Region 2 Poll

Vote in the poll.
Old 11-12-12, 10:27 AM
All American

BulldogBob is on a distinguished road
I won't venture a prediction as to who will win, because I haven't seen Whitmer this year. Hudson gave them all they wanted, as I predicted. Massillon has a lot of weapons, and I think they can score on anybody at any time, provided they are able to protect their U of Cinn. QB long enough for him to throw to Michigan-bound receiver Gareon Conley, who is virtually impossible to cover one-on -one. I expect another close game.
Old 11-12-12, 10:46 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJosh20 View Post

As far as Whitmer goes, their defense has a step up in competition every week and I wasn't expecting a shut down defense like last year. We still have Jack Linch, Marquise Moore, Marcus Elliott, Nate Holley & Devin Thomas on defense. Nobody that stands out really except Moore, but it's a team effort that keeps us in the game. We have created turnovers that has kept us in games. Going back to the Central Catholic game, I can count in my head that I can remember at least 13 or 14 turnovers in the last 3 games, majority of them causing fumbles. I believe we recovered 3 fumbles and had a pick or two against Hudson. Our weakness was that we let them drive on us willingly. If it wasn't for the turnovers, Whitmer most likely would have lost that game. Whitmer needs to fix these problems, which I'm not really optimistic they will, in order to be successful against Massillons offense. We pretty much let Ben Gedeon run all over us and let Mitchell Guadagni get pass happy, finding open WR's and nobody was covering the screen. They picked up the screen in the 3rd Q, but the way Whitmer's defense played was unacceptable to me, except for the turnovers.

On the other side of the ball, Massillon will have to worry about 3 of our guys running it. Similar to the last few years, we've had a 3 player run attack. Nick Holley, our QB, is a better scrambler and passer, in my honest opinion, than who we had the last couple of years. Holley pretty much about runs a buck fifty every game. To compliment the running game, Tre Sterritt and Me'Gail Frisch add onto the running game, Sterritt being the main contributor. Also runs about 100+ a game almost every game. Passing game is underrated in my opinion. It was used alot against Avon Lake, not so much against Hudson as they couldn't stop our run attack. Holley usually only makes about 15 pass attempts a game, connecting on more than 50% of his passes usually. He pass over 260 yards against Avon Lake, I think the most passes he attempted in a game so far, but don't sleep on his passing game. Our running attack has been good in pretty much every game and he hasn't need to pass much.

I know it don't mean much to you Massillon guys, but we are #3 in Div I football for a reason.

All in all, if last week's Whitmer team shows up that played Hudson, Tigers will win no doubt, which is why I'm going to side with Massillon here to edge the Panthers by no more than double digits. I hope I am wrong and that a better Whitmer team shows up in Mansfield on Saturday night.
very balanced report....ty....
Old 11-12-12, 11:15 AM
All District

Too bad Whitmer doesn't have big ole Nigel Hayes to throw to this year.. :/
Old 11-12-12, 11:23 AM
All District

wathohuk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatJosh20 View Post

Real good assessment there.

Whitmer will have to play their best game of the year to advance. Hopefully last week was a good game to help prepare for Massilon. There's a lot that needs fixed defensively and thankfully it was exposed in a win. Might have to make a couple personnel changes in the secondary, at least one.
Old 11-12-12, 12:02 PM
All American

our top performers have been
offense
QB Kempt schools all time leading passer ...heading to UC where his brother is a GA
RB Moore 1100 yds since week two when the coaching staff had a brain transplant ...sat out week 8 against the canadians...though he is the teams 2nd best rb 1 1a situation..OAC ...Ashland kind of player
ST Lash 6 5 295jr 2 year starter....starting to get looks from mac type schools potential to round into a BiG 10 school
SG Devers 6 5 280 jr ..drawing looks from Big 10 ...likely michigan
QT Williams 6 3 250 so...athletic as all get out...possibly the best of the 3...
dont use a TE so the TE types play the slot
Huffman 6 3 225 jr injured much of the year playing into shape Dad was all ohio at Massillon ...brother 2 or 3 year starter at Duke at TE...BCS looks will come...
Wr..
Conley ...60th best prospect in the US ...#2 in Ohio ...as a CB...WR offers rolling in .....no more need be said ..
Whitfield ...6 1 170 jr ..2nd leading receiver...drawing interest from BCS schools...Dad is one of the top QB gurus in the nation...his list of clients is a whos who...family one of the oldest bloodlines in Massillon...
Tonn 6'1 180 sr best all around player on the team Wr CB back up QB P holder on PK...and sells pop corn at the half...

Defense

DE Crabtree 6 1 200 so 3rd on team in team in tackles 1st in sacks and tfls...parents keep him in a cage ...cage goes to school...kid is an animal...lol.
DTs are solid Arndt 6 3 260...3 yr starter Devers ...Weisend 6 3 280...
DE Dudley 6 2 220 soph 5th on team in tackles...high jumper in the spring...
LB Taylor 6 225 ...tackling machine...Mac D2 type player...power lifting numbers are video game like plus speed ...team leader in tackles would be teams leading rusher if not for his value on D and the presence of moore
Ingram 6 185 jr ...#2 Cowan 5 8 170 #4 ...always around the ball
DB
corners are conley and tonn both are island types
safeties Baez 5 5 150 ...shares the cage next to Crabtree ..whitfield ..soph Mike Smith...KR Rb of the future ..very athletic...

we are as deep as anytime i can remember...more recruits than I can remember...playing well this time of year...great chemistry....

so whats that all mean come sat .....ABSOLUTELY NOTHIN...lmao...battle of top 2 teams in R2 ...both with the potential to bring home the Big prize...no real clear cut favourite ...pick em game ...
Old 11-12-12, 12:08 PM
All American

oh yeah forgot P PK David soph BCS written all over him....2 year starter ...strong leg is an understatement...50% touch backs 40% OF THOSE that arent are into the wind... accurate...
Old 11-12-12, 12:12 PM
All Ohio

geekers is on a distinguished road
OUCH!!!! Bad news may be coming from Massillon!
Old 11-12-12, 01:08 PM
All District

what bad news???

and does fatigue come into play at all for Massilon with quite a few key players you listed playing both ways? (Devers, Conely, Whitfield)
Old 11-12-12, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is on a distinguished road
Toledo Whitmer has an AWESOME defense.They return alot of there starters who held Iggy to 17 points last year.Having said that,if Massillon plays like they did last Saturday night against McKinley they should win.

Massillon will have 3 times as many fans as Whitmer.
Old 11-12-12, 01:21 PM
All Ohio

geekers is on a distinguished road
No fatigue with this team; they thrive for this..as far as the bad new goes; at this point; it may not be that bad afterall.
Closed Thread