Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Youngstown Ursuline 38 73.08%
Sugarcreek Garaway 14 26.92%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-12, 10:54 AM
All District

neirish is on a distinguished road
D5 R17 #7 Youngstown Ursuline @ #2 Sugarcreek Garaway

Ursuline's (6-4) 16-14 loss to Akron SVSM cost them an opportunity at a first round home game. Now the Irish will make the one hour and forty-five minute trip to Tuscarawas County to take on 10-0 Sugarcreek Garaway.

Judging by the comments posted on the huddle, the Garaway fans would have liked to have seen a different opponent come to town in week 1.

Post your predictions!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-12, 10:56 AM
All Region

louisvilleluvssta is on a distinguished road
Ursuline by at least 2 TD s
Old 10-27-12, 11:10 AM
All American

TopCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by neirish View Post
Ursuline's (6-4) 16-14 loss to Akron SVSM cost them an opportunity at a first round home game. Now the Irish will make the one hour and forty-five minute trip to Tuscarawas County to take on 10-0 Sugarcreek Garaway.

Judging by the comments posted on the huddle, the Garaway fans would have liked to have seen a different opponent come to town in week 1.

Post your predictions!
There are playoff teams in Divisions 1 through 4 who would rather see a different opponent than Ursuline if that scenario existed for them. Can't blame Garaway fans, though they'd most likely have run into Ursuline at some point in the playoffs if they advanced beyond Week 11.
Old 10-27-12, 11:23 AM
All Ohio

MartyMcFitch is on a distinguished road
Of course they would want to play a different team in the 1st round. I wouldn't want to take on Ursuline so early in the playoffs either. Go Get Em Irish.
Old 10-27-12, 11:25 AM
Junior Varsity

vegas717 is on a distinguished road
Banged up Irish

A healthy Ursuline is tough to beat. If we are playing with a full deck, we are a heck of a football team, perhaps even a State Championship team. The question is will the BIG 3, Thigpen, Durkin, and Williams show up healthy? Williams missed week 10 with a knee injury. Durkin played week 10 with a broken bone and pneumonia. Thigpen tweaked his ankle. All of our players can use the extra day to heal and prepare for our contest next Saturday. Good luck boys, show them what the U is all about.
Old 10-27-12, 11:52 AM
Varsity

DVChamp2011 is on a distinguished road
Ursuline by 3 or 4 touchdowns.
Old 10-27-12, 12:34 PM
All American

1984StateChampsDIV is on a distinguished road
Ursuline names the score in this one....Garaway's league and schedule don't prepare them for top teams in the playoffs...especially in Region 17 which is loaded this year.

Old 10-27-12, 03:43 PM
All American

TopCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984StateChampsDIV View Post
Ursuline names the score in this one....Garaway's league and schedule don't prepare them for top teams in the playoffs...especially in Region 17 which is loaded this year.

Yeah, obviously that's it. It couldn't possibly be that Garaway plays a schedule and in a league that's appropriate for its size and typical talent base, as well as for the area it has to draw talent from. Just think of how much more ready they'd be if they played in the Fed and scheduled Iggy, Ed's, and X for out of conference play. Right, it's all about who they scheduled and has nothing to do with talent concentration relative to school size. My guess is before this is all over we'll hear about how the Garaway kids just don't want to work hard enough and that they have no heart, either. Typical. There's a reason teams like Ursuline play the types of schedules they do, and it's because they know they have the talent to do it.
Old 10-27-12, 03:52 PM
All American

MANOWAR
Good post Topcat!
Old 10-28-12, 11:52 AM
All District

neirish is on a distinguished road
Bump!

GO IRISH!
Old 10-28-12, 12:05 PM
All Ohio

Scruff Dog is on a distinguished road
Wow this game can be a trap game for the IRISH,Garaway is a real good team,they put up points and have some very good players...Qb threw for some sick yardage this year....Yes the Irish will be bigger and maybe faster ,but I think these kids will come to play{like Zanesville did}.....Will the IRISH be fully healthy? I am thinking Garaway is a grass field,so with the rain all week it could be a very sloppy/muddy game...I went on Cal-Preps predict a match-up and they say Ursuline 38----Garaway31......So good luck to our Youngstown Ursuline boys this coming Sat.
Old 10-28-12, 12:12 PM
All Yappi

heff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
Yeah, obviously that's it. It couldn't possibly be that Garaway plays a schedule and in a league that's appropriate for its size and typical talent base, as well as for the area it has to draw talent from. Just think of how much more ready they'd be if they played in the Fed and scheduled Iggy, Ed's, and X for out of conference play. Right, it's all about who they scheduled and has nothing to do with talent concentration relative to school size. My guess is before this is all over we'll hear about how the Garaway kids just don't want to work hard enough and that they have no heart, either. Typical. There's a reason teams like Ursuline play the types of schedules they do, and it's because they know they have the talent to do it.
BINGO.
Old 10-28-12, 12:25 PM
All American

1984StateChampsDIV is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Whoa there....I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. Where did I say anything about Garaway not being good, not having a great year or lacking heart or hard work?

I wasn't being critical of the schedule Garaway plays. It's a perfectly good schedule for them. They're in a league so that's out of their hands. Obviously their schedule is great for them as it got them to 10-0 with enough points to get a high seed (#2).

I was merely stating my opinion that they haven't seen a team with the size, strength and speed of Ursuline this year. Does anyone disagree with that?

Man people are sensitive...

Old 10-28-12, 12:33 PM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Yeah, obviously that's it. It couldn't possibly be that Garaway plays a schedule and in a league that's appropriate for its size and typical talent base, as well as for the area it has to draw talent from. Just think of how much more ready they'd be if they played in the Fed and scheduled Iggy, Ed's, and X for out of conference play. Right, it's all about who they scheduled and has nothing to do with talent concentration relative to school size. My guess is before this is all over we'll hear about how the Garaway kids just don't want to work hard enough and that they have no heart, either.
Man, I've missed your whining. Thanks for the reminder crybaby
Old 10-28-12, 04:00 PM
All Ohio

stretch33
Lets go Irish...one game at a time.
Old 10-28-12, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

111411 is on a distinguished road
Ursuline wins big in this one.
Old 10-28-12, 04:53 PM
All Region

WOT
Quote:

Naaaahhhh...we only sat that about Manchester.

Glad to know that those losses to Ursuline a decade ago still scorch your nads. That's humorous.

Give Coach France my best.
Old 10-28-12, 06:26 PM
All American

Scrapper56 is on a distinguished road
The Irish win big and get Coach K his first playoff win as a head coach...
Old 10-28-12, 06:29 PM
All Yappi

heff is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Whoa there....I think you misunderstood the intent of my post. Where did I say anything about Garaway not being good, not having a great year or lacking heart or hard work?

I wasn't being critical of the schedule Garaway plays. It's a perfectly good schedule for them. They're in a league so that's out of their hands. Obviously their schedule is great for them as it got them to 10-0 with enough points to get a high seed (#2).

I was merely stating my opinion that they haven't seen a team with the size, strength and speed of Ursuline this year. Does anyone disagree with that?

I think what he meant was that, despite the fact that parochials get kids from all over the world, and possibly beyond, they like to preach that parochial school kids work harder than public school kids and act like that's the sole reason for their dominance.
Old 10-28-12, 06:33 PM
All Region

SOARING-EAGLE is on a distinguished road
Wish the irish the best of luck in there playoff run keep it in the mahoning valley baby
Old 10-28-12, 07:06 PM
All Region

louisvilleluvssta is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by heff View Post
I think what he meant was that, despite the fact that parochials get kids from all over the world, and possibly beyond, they like to preach that parochial school kids work harder than public school kids and act like that's the sole reason for their dominance.

For the 1,000,000th time: open enrollment squashes your theory. The fact that kids can move out of parochial schools into public without missing a beat, but kids moving into parochial from public have to sit out a year squashes it too.

I don't know anyone at Ursuline but for St Thomas there is at most 2 players that did not come through the parochial feeder-school elementary schools. The majority of the players play offense and defense as well as multiple sports. If they didn't, we wouldn't even be able to field a team. So yes, parochial school kids do have to work hard - as do public school kids.

But to get back to the point of scheduling-it does matter the type of teams you play throughout the season.
Old 10-28-12, 09:35 PM
All American

knightgeek27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to knightgeek27
Congrats to Garaway for going 10-0-never an easy thing to do, but my prediction for this game?

Pain....
Old 10-28-12, 09:59 PM
All Region

m14brian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvilleluvssta View Post
For the 1,000,000th time: open enrollment squashes your theory. The fact that kids can move out of parochial schools into public without missing a beat, but kids moving into parochial from public have to sit out a year squashes it too.

I don't know anyone at Ursuline but for St Thomas there is at most 2 players that did not come through the parochial feeder-school elementary schools. The majority of the players play offense and defense as well as multiple sports. If they didn't, we wouldn't even be able to field a team. So yes, parochial school kids do have to work hard - as do public school kids.

But to get back to the point of scheduling-it does matter the type of teams you play throughout the season.
Yea I know. Kids are just lining up to attend a D5 or D6 school to play small time football. The cream of the crop are on waiting lists to get into these powerhouse public D5/D6 schools.

Yes you are right, schedule does matter. Open enrollment on the other hand is a joke for small schools in terms of getting great football talent.
Small schools just want a half way decent kid via OE to get the state money, doesn't matter if they are football players.
Old 10-29-12, 07:28 AM
All American

TopCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDINAL View Post
Man, I've missed your whining. Thanks for the reminder crybaby
You can call me a crybaby, it doesn't make it untrue. Guess I hit a nerve there, otherwise you would try to at least put up a credible defense. You can't even manage that. Instead, you try to bully me when I suggest somehting might not be right. Typical response from a meathead who can't think beyond namecalling and brute force. I await your stellar response. Dazzle me.
Old 10-29-12, 07:31 AM
All World

1disciple is on a distinguished road
With some of the racist comments that Garaway fans have posted on other sites I hope Ursuline hangs 100 on them.
Old 10-29-12, 07:35 AM
All American

TopCat
Quote:

Sensitive? No, just a realist. You weren't being critical of the way Garaway plays, but you were being critical of who they play, and why that didn't "prepare" them for the likes of Ursuline. You did not say anything about hard work or lack of heart, I was waiting on those comments to follow from other posters. I'm surprised they haven't come already. I do agree that Garaway hasn't seen a team with the size or speed of Ursuline. Neither have half the teams in the state, regardless of division. A team like the one Garaway has comes to schools like Garaway maybe once a decade, if that. A team like Ursuline has comes to Ursuline almost every year. Just something to think about.
Old 10-29-12, 07:37 AM
All Yappi

Steel Valley FB is on a distinguished road
STHU with all this garbage. Go Irish!
Old 10-29-12, 07:52 AM
All American

TopCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT View Post
Naaaahhhh...we only sat that about Manchester.

Glad to know that those losses to Ursuline a decade ago still scorch your nads. That's humorous.

Give Coach France my best.
You only "sat" that about Manchester?

It seems to me we pinned an L on your guys at least once back in the day, too, so I hope your nads aren't still too scorched over that. Even with the talent concentration you guys had, those games were still competitive. I fear that won't be the case against Garaway.

You have to remember Manchester draws its players from a geographical area roughly four miles by seven miles. There are no open enrollment boys on the football team. However, there are some in the band, and many more who don't play football. What are Ursuline's geographical boundaries? Oh, and we can't turn away our open enrollment students. Without them, we could play down a division, too.
Old 10-29-12, 07:56 AM
All District

top tornado
Garaway will surprise some off you.
Old 10-29-12, 08:25 AM
All American

CARDINAL is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You can call Guess I hit a nerve me a crybaby, it doesn't make it untrue.there, otherwise you would try to at least put up a credible defense. You can't even manage that. Instead, you try to bully me when I suggest somehting might not be right. Typical response from a meathead who can't think beyond namecalling and brute force. I await your stellar response. Dazzle me.
This post is hilarious Let's break it down

Quote:
You can call Guess I hit a nerve me a crybaby, it doesn't make it untrue.
Doesn't make it true either

Quote:
otherwise you would try to at least put up a credible defense. You can't even manage that.
Why bother, do you really think that I would believe that you would change your closed, whiny little mind? You've been crying for 10 years. I'm not going to make you stop that. I just wanted to point that out

Quote:
Instead, you try to bully me
My god, are you even serious? You've obviously been bullied during your life, so you're hyper-sensitive Grow a pair nancy

Quote:
Typical response from a meathead who can't think beyond namecalling
Seriously, you're going to complain about me calling you a name by calling me a name. You're an awesome debater

Quote:
and brute force.
Refer to the above "nancy" reference if you think that's "brute force"

Quote:
I await your stellar response. Dazzle me.
You got it. Deal with it