Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 10-21-12, 08:14 PM
All District

West Branch is on a distinguished road
Week 10: Salem Quakers @ West Branch Warriors

This it it folks, since we are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, (according to Joe Eitel) it will be for pride and bragging rights only. Will the Warriors bring the same intensity to this game that they took to Marlington? If so we will be alright,if not and we let the Quakers hang around it could be a long night and I have seen Salem rise to the occasion against us before when they had no business even being close to being as good as WB. ( Remember 1994, we snuck out of Salem with a 28-21 overtime win?) If we win we will be no less than Co-Champs in the NBC. and thats not too shabby for starting out at 0-3.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-12, 08:35 PM
All Ohio

dig it is on a distinguished road
Warriors definitely have plenty to play for with the title on the line.

Can't foresee any scenario where WB doesn't win by at least 3 TDs. Good luck to both and here's hoping everyone comes out healthy.
Old 10-21-12, 10:39 PM
All American

WARRIORS_94 is on a distinguished road
WB better be ready to play. Even though that team from the East is 0-9 doesn't mean anything in this game as history shows. Would love to see a big score from the Warriors this Friday.
Old 10-22-12, 07:39 AM
All Region

guyfrombeloit is on a distinguished road
If the Warriors play with the same intensity as last Friday night, they'll score 60.
Old 10-22-12, 08:26 AM
All Ohio

dig it is on a distinguished road
Salem will probably hang tough the 1st qtr, but they just aren't solid enough to hang with WB. Not sure if Salems coach is familiar enough with the rivalry to really shake things up and think WAY outside the box in order to pull the upset. He seems pretty set in his ways. I understand his intent on keeping players fresh, but if you can't win games, you'll lose players for next year unless he is one hell of a salesman.
Old 10-22-12, 09:42 AM
All Ohio

1_wbwarriors is on a distinguished road
Just hoping that this team remembers what happened last year.. After almost beating marlington everyone expected us to go to Salem and walk all over them and it ended up being the opposite... We played with no emotion and Salem did! Lets win on senior night and send them quackers back east with there heads down!

Go Green!!!!
Old 10-22-12, 05:00 PM
Junior Varsity

woolfsound is on a distinguished road
I have watched these 2 teams play from 1970 on. You can't predict anything when it comes to this game. Both teams will fight till they can't fight no more. Branch Seniors: Good luck boys. Utley, Sharp, Wells, Woolf and the rest will go balls out for this win. Just Pray no one gets hurt. Some of the hardest hits i have ever seen have been in this game over the years. GO WARRIORS! ROLL THE OATS!
Old 10-23-12, 05:19 PM
All Region

Papa_Trojan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfsound View Post
I have watched these 2 teams play from 1970 on. You can't predict anything when it comes to this game. Both teams will fight till they can't fight no more. Branch Seniors: Good luck boys. Utley, Sharp, Wells, Woolf and the rest will go balls out for this win. Just Pray no one gets hurt. Some of the hardest hits i have ever seen have been in this game over the years. GO WARRIORS! ROLL THE OATS!
Agree completely!
Old 10-23-12, 05:59 PM
All Ohio

We already know what the warriors being to the table on offense and defense.. What does Salem try to do in offense? Pass run? What formation? What kind if defense do they run? What have they struggled defending the most run or pass?
Old 10-23-12, 09:04 PM
All American

There 0-9! They must not bring much to the table. I'm fairly confident the Branch will not take these guys lightly. There's a championship to be won! I usually never predict a score but I will be extremely surprised if it is close. WB ROLLS!!
Old 10-24-12, 04:34 AM
All American

nightmare is on a distinguished road
The branch names that score in this one. I just wish they would've beaten South, Boro or Philly, they are best team in the NBC and should be be in the postseason. Wells' injury and their defensive play really hurt them this year.
Old 10-24-12, 04:39 AM
All American

nightmare is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfsound View Post
I'll go out on limb and predict the Warriors to beat Salem by thirty.
Old 10-24-12, 08:01 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare View Post
The branch names that score in this one. I just wish they would've beaten South, Boro or Philly, they are best team in the NBC and should be be in the postseason. Wells' injury and their defensive play really hurt them this year.
The Philly game doesn't bother me too much because of the way they fought back in the second half to gain the lead. Especially without Wells. However, they were sleepwalking through the Streetsboro and South games and it now it's costing them. Once again though, it's frustrating to look down the d3 regions almost every year and see how much tougher region 11 is. Right now WB would be 5th in region 9, 7th in 10 and 4th in 12.
Old 10-24-12, 09:46 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Any posters on here have the overall series record?

Another thing, WB brought up the 94 game when Salem nearly pulled off the upset. Didn't a largely mediocre Salem team edge WB the year they went to the state semis I think in 1998?
Old 10-24-12, 09:54 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrombeloit View Post
Once again though, it's frustrating to look down the d3 regions almost every year and see how much tougher region 11 is. Right now WB would be 5th in region 9, 7th in 10 and 4th in 12.
This has been the case for years. In 2010, Minerva annihlated Field 35-7 and Field went on to host a playoff game in R9 with a 7-3 record.

There have been several outstanding NBC teams who have been left out of the playoffs over the years.

Fact is, you guys would have made the playoffs had you beaten one of NP, Boro, or showed up for South.

Last edited by Maverick0425; 10-24-12 at 10:13 AM..
Old 10-24-12, 10:07 AM
Varsity

snakeoil is on a distinguished road
Just out of curiosity, how many yards does Wells have this season?
Old 10-24-12, 11:10 AM
All American

WBWarrior is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
Any posters on here have the overall series record?

Another thing, WB brought up the 94 game when Salem nearly pulled off the upset. Didn't a largely mediocre Salem team edge WB the year they went to the state semis I think in 1998?
Yes, I believe Salem was 5-5 in 1998 and they beat us in the opener.
Old 10-24-12, 11:17 AM
All District

dopamine is on a distinguished road
Don't worry, West Branch, you should win this one easily. Especially with Ron Johnson coaching them. He lived large at Canton McKinley because of all the talent he had there and still only won 60% of his games. His true coaching ability is being shown now. 0 - 9.
Old 10-24-12, 11:18 AM
All American

warriors378 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeoil View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many yards does Wells have this season?
1,223 rushing yards on the season. Does anyone know what he needs to break the record? I think he needs 250-300 yards vs Salem to break the single season rushing record, which is incredible since he missed half of Week 1, and all of Weeks 2 and 3 on offense...
Old 10-24-12, 11:32 AM
All Region

Salem also upset a 9-0 WB team in 1985. WB beat Salem 21-0 the following year for a 10-0 finish. That '86 game ended in the 2nd major brawl for these 2 rivals and ending the series for a cooling off period.
Old 10-24-12, 12:26 PM
All Region

Qcity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopamine View Post
Don't worry, West Branch, you should win this one easily. Especially with Ron Johnson coaching them. He lived large at Canton McKinley because of all the talent he had there and still only won 60% of his games. His true coaching ability is being shown now. 0 - 9.
Get off this thread; you have no idea what you are talking about.
Old 10-24-12, 12:36 PM
All Region

Qcity is on a distinguished road
This WB senior class manhandled our class from grades 7 - 9. Obviously the Quakers beat the Warriors over the last 3 seasons, but the early dominance by this class over our kids was significant. We are exceedingly young on offense, with freshmen, sophs and a junior on the O-line; obviously you cannot do much when you have that to deal with, especially as the smallest team in this league. We will need a couple of turnovers at a minimum, and to somehow control the ball as much as possible by moving the chains. You never know what can happen, but by rights we should be a huge underdog. On the other hand we led Marlington (with Thomas) for over 20 minutes, before it got away from us. It is always a great atmosphere when these two teams get together; hopefully we can make it a game.
Old 10-24-12, 03:09 PM
All American

My dad went to that school from the East. He used to take me out driving the night before every time West Branch played them in football. He used to drive 20 to 30 miles away and start singing their fight song. Used to tick me off to no end. But, even though he went there, no matter what sport I played or when we went to the games when I was a kid, he always wanted WB to win. So, I know he's looking down with special interest this week from heaven. Wanting a Warrior win and he knows I'll be there screaming for the Warriors!! Stay focused guys and be the beast to take down that team from the East! GO WARRIORS!!
Old 10-24-12, 05:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORS_94 View Post
There 0-9! They must not bring much to the table. I'm fairly confident the Branch will not take these guys lightly. There's a championship to be won! I usually never predict a score but I will be extremely surprised if it is close. WB ROLLS!!
Yes they are 0-9. And yes we should beat them! However we all thought that last year and Salem kicked our tails! I was just simply asking what they like to did during the game. Sounds like u have some serious issues with Salem.. Sorry to bust your bubble but when I was in high school we took a vote on who was our biggest rival that we couldn't stand and hated to lose to the most.. Here are the results....
Louisville
Alliance
Salem
Marlington
Old 10-24-12, 07:04 PM
All American

Last year they didn't have to stop a guy named Wells! This year they do and you can bet your sweet butt they remember last year! I know I would. That team from the East will always be top on my list. If we would beat them in a game of marbles or jacks, I would throw a tinker tape parade. Sorry but those feelings of dislike were instilled years ago starting in little warrior football when Dick Hartzel gave us a pre game talk. To this day I don't go to that place unless WB plays there. I hurt my ankle one time in a Jr. high game and made my dad drive to Alliance to get it looked at.
Old 10-24-12, 07:18 PM
All Ohio

I agree with you.. But it's still a rivalry game and anything could happen. I see us rolling in this one too but that's why they play the game! I hate going to Salem for anything!! it's the only town I know that there is no good way around it! And if you drive through it, it takes 30 minutes to drive like 3 miles!

Go Green!!!
Old 10-24-12, 07:36 PM
All American

bigdogman.1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
This WB senior class manhandled our class from grades 7 - 9. Obviously the Quakers beat the Warriors over the last 3 seasons, but the early dominance by this class over our kids was significant. We are exceedingly young on offense, with freshmen, sophs and a junior on the O-line; obviously you cannot do much when you have that to deal with, especially as the smallest team in this league. We will need a couple of turnovers at a minimum, and to somehow control the ball as much as possible by moving the chains. You never know what can happen, but by rights we should be a huge underdog. On the other hand we led Marlington (with Thomas) for over 20 minutes, before it got away from us. It is always a great atmosphere when these two teams get together; hopefully we can make it a game.
qcity.pay no attention to that dope from canton.he is a johnson hater.you are very young and will have a lot of returners next year.by the way.that afterglow you guys have after every game is great.you have great sane.civil minded fans and a great community and a coach who loves the players.you will be ok.good luck in your game with the warriors and good luck next season
Old 10-24-12, 08:27 PM
All District

West Branch is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
Makes me want to almost feel sorry for them: NO WAIT! , It's Salem / WB week. Never mind. LOL
Old 10-24-12, 09:19 PM
All Region

For the younger posters on here, i can tell you the rivalry between WB and Salem at it's best was easily the most intense by far . The bench clearing brawl in the 70 's was unbelievable. These 2 schools hated each other and it built up for about another 10 years until 1986 when the another fight on the field erupted . Then it spilled out into the streets and got really ugly. The cooling off period really did work because the younger guys don't even remember those years . Few rivalries in the state came close to this one in it's prime.

Last edited by guyfrombeloit; 10-25-12 at 07:22 AM..
Old 10-25-12, 08:18 AM
All District

onthediamond is on a distinguished road
^^^ I concur with that. It was always a very heated rivalry back in the day, and now you have the sons of those dads from back then suiting up and getting the lecture from their dad about how big this game always was, and always should be ----- definitely adds a little bit to the way the kids look at the game. At 0-9 we have nothing to lose, hope we throw the kitchen sink at the farmers.