Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Girls HS Sports > Girls Basketball

Notices

Old 10-24-12, 07:39 AM
All American

ccrunner4815
Federal League Basketball

Time to get things started here.

How does everyone see the league this year?

My pre season top 3:

1. North Canton Hoover- Have most of their starters returning

2. Lake - Can the Blue Streaks repeat their success from last season?

3. Canton McKinley- Graduate their top player. Who will step up for the Bulldogs?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-12, 11:31 AM
All District

OldMacDonald is on a distinguished road
What about the rest of the league? Jackson should have some very talented youth. Their middle school teams have had great records. Will Boardman have any talent? Do they have a new coach?
Old 10-24-12, 02:19 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
I think Hoover has to be the favorite because of everything they have coming back. They have IMO the best guard in the League and 2 of the top 3 post. Look for them to have a freshmanto be in there top 6 or 7 players. They also return several Jr's with a lot of varsity experience. A lot of talent. I believe returns 9 of the top 11.

2. Mck. I think Turner was very good last year. I know a lot of Hoover fans still wish she was there. They have several other very athletic guards who defend. I'm not sure what they have on the inside. The big question will be if they can stop Hoovers 2 big girls inside. The Davis coaching staff will have them playing solid D

3 Lake. Lake had a Great season last year. Will be interesting to see if they can do it again. If Stevens plays they will be right towards the top. They need to replace Myers at guard. Henry Cobb has done Great things with the Lake program.

4. Jackson

5. Glen Oak

6. Perry

7. Boardman

If I'm wrong, dont worry about letting me know my wife will take care of that. Good Luck to everyone. Should be an interesting year
Old 10-24-12, 06:03 PM
All Ohio

thewho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
I think Hoover has to be the favorite because of everything they have coming back. They have IMO the best guard in the League and 2 of the top 3 post. Look for them to have a freshmanto be in there top 6 or 7 players. They also return several Jr's with a lot of varsity experience. A lot of talent. I believe returns 9 of the top 11.

2. Mck. I think Turner was very good last year. I know a lot of Hoover fans still wish she was there. They have several other very athletic guards who defend. I'm not sure what they have on the inside. The big question will be if they can stop Hoovers 2 big girls inside. The Davis coaching staff will have them playing solid D

3 Lake. Lake had a Great season last year. Will be interesting to see if they can do it again. If Stevens plays they will be right towards the top. They need to replace Myers at guard. Henry Cobb has done Great things with the Lake program.

4. Jackson

5. Glen Oak

6. Perry

7. Boardman

If I'm wrong, dont worry about letting me know my wife will take care of that. Good Luck to everyone. Should be an interesting year
I agree with all your picks... I don't know though about 5-6. I have not much confidence in GO. Though I am a GO fan, what I saw last year at a game with parents complaining about the coach, and what seemed to be frustration from alot of people in the gym, if that carries over, they may be 7th. I only attended one game, and maybe I attend the wrong game. Either way, I didn't like what I saw, and heard in the stands.

Hoover to me is the team to beat... this coach is walking into a good thing.

Curious on Lake/McKinley...

I am also curious on Wasiety to the girls game. From what I saw of Perry last year, I think some size returns.

Boardman, I know nothing about, but I have heard the program is struggling. That is too bad, they used to be a POWERHOUSE!
Old 10-24-12, 07:27 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Top 3 are Hoover, McK, and Lake but I don't think you can give an edge to any of the three right now. It's going to be a stellar set of games between these teams.

Jackson has a lot of talent (even with the loss of the 8th grader to St V's) and more on the way, just a matter of them learning to win.

Perry returns Hmeiden but have heard Frease isn't playing and they lost Byrd and Bucksar to graduation. Ball-handling will be their biggest problem imho.

GlenOak has the makings of 'best of the rest' imho if they can get the kids to play together. A lot of experience returning and they'll still be young. Saw a number of their kids play all fall and they all looked ready to roll this year.

Don't know much about Boardman, sorry.... I've heard similar views to those posted here though... down year for the Spartans.
Old 10-25-12, 10:12 AM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Perry returns Hmeiden but have heard Frease isn't playing and they lost Byrd and Bucksar to graduation. Ball-handling will be their biggest problem imho.

Wow!! Frease's older sister decided not to play her senior yr too....
Old 10-25-12, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
Thewho, I agree I think the coach is walking into a very good thing. A friend of mine said it is a lot like when Solis stepped into the Twinsburg job. New coach with a very talented team wth an extreamly talented group of Jrs and Sophs. I hope it works out for Hoover like it did foe Solis. Im not saying it will but I hope it does

Its a long season. Should be some entertaining games When does practice start?. Good Luck All.
Old 10-25-12, 01:12 PM
All Ohio

Mudcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
Thewho, I agree I think the coach is walking into a very good thing. A friend of mine said it is a lot like when Solis stepped into the Twinsburg job. New coach with a very talented team wth an extreamly talented group of Jrs and Sophs. I hope it works out for Hoover like it did foe Solis. Im not saying it will but I hope it does

Its a long season. Should be some entertaining games When does practice start?. Good Luck All.
Hoover should be good but I agree with MCGal that the FL is a 3 horse race with no clear cut favorite.

And while they will be good, I'd say your friend's expectations are probably a "tad bit" high comparing the talent at Hoover to what Solis had at Twinsburg.
Old 10-25-12, 01:50 PM
Junior Varsity

Foo is on a distinguished road
I agree with McGal and Mudcat as well. I don't think it is clear cut this year at all. Should be very fun to watch throughout the season.
Old 10-25-12, 01:57 PM
All American

LOUIE 44 is on a distinguished road
I agree with Mc's top 3!

GO VIKES!!!!!!!
Old 10-25-12, 02:25 PM
Varsity

Smokin' Joe is on a distinguished road
The Federal League will be very top heavy this year. McKinley, Lake and North Canton are clearly the cream of the crop. What happens behind them depends on who can get their young kids up to speed the quickest.

1. *McKinley-If Hogan is playing. Turner will have a breakout year but if Hogan isn't able to play she won't have much help.
2. North Canton- They will be very good but I'm not sure they have the guards to handle McKinley's pressure.
3. Lake- They will be good again but probably not good enough to beat the top 2.
4. Perry- Not sure about them at this point. They lost a lot from last year.
5. Glenoak- They should be improved but not sure if they can compete with the upper tier.
6. Jackson- They are going to struggle due to lack of experience.
7. Boardman- Things have gone south for this program in a hurry.
Old 10-25-12, 05:46 PM
All American

SteelValley
I agree Boardman has slipped off a good deal, but assuming all the same players come back this year, I believe most of last year they were starting 4 sophs and a junior and their first girl off the bench was a freshman (maybe their most talented player and she missed nearly a month last year in January.)

So I think Boardman should be better than next year for sure. How much better is anyone's guess. They are not a title contender but a middle of the pack finish wouldn't be completely impossible. It's really hard to say especially since its the head coach's first full year too. He's always been a well respected coach in the system for the girls and boys programs, so we will see how it goes.
Old 10-25-12, 09:57 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
I love all the disrespect for the talent on McK's roster outside of Turner (and Hogan if playing yada yada yada)... I'm sure Pam, Willie, and the Lady Pups love being underestimated as well

Lake lost a big cog in Myers, but imho they could and should end up being "better" than last year. Problem is this year they won't surprise anyone or sneak up on anyone.

Hoover has the right pieces but who'll run point consistently enough to handle pressure? There are a few options in the ranks, just curious to see how the coaches will handle that. The big girls are great (as is Peare), but you have to get the ball to them for them to have the influence on the game that they should.

For whoever asked, practice starts tomorrow
Old 10-27-12, 09:49 AM
All Region

goshengophers is on a distinguished road
Heard from 2 very reliable people that Hogan has won her appeal with the OHSAA and is eligible to play this season.
Old 10-27-12, 12:22 PM
All Region

thebigguy
In answer to who will run the point for Hoover I believe it will be the same young lady that had a considerable amount of playing time last year. Abby Warburton. I believe she can handle any pressure thrown at her. They also have an 8th grader that is beyond anything I have ever seen at that level. She handles the ball unbelievably well. I know it doesn't mean much until she gets up to the varsity level but my guess is she will start at the point next year. As a seventh grader she hti for 40 plus points in one game. She is not a tall girl but she looks like she will be a good one.
Old 10-28-12, 12:50 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
Warburton's a good guard, for sure, but she hasn't shown she can handle McK's pressure yet... not last year, not this summer. Last year, the senior bailed them out a bit. They're going to have to have a few people step up and handle pressure this year imho.
Old 10-28-12, 07:49 AM
Freshman

Josey Wales is on a distinguished road
I wonder if OHSAA will send the winner of that District to Columbus again for the Regional....
Old 10-28-12, 08:06 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by goshengophers View Post
Heard from 2 very reliable people that Hogan has won her appeal with the OHSAA and is eligible to play this season.
Trust me... this player will help them more then what some people think she will.
Old 10-28-12, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

MCGal
And you don't have a clue what "some people" think. You posted that she'll score 15-20 points a game and lost all credibility from that point on.

Josey, they're stuck with that set-up at lest for this year, they only re-evaluate divisional alignments every 2 or 3 years I think.
Old 10-28-12, 12:08 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
And you don't have a clue what "some people" think. You posted that she'll score 15-20 points a game and lost all credibility from that point on.

Josey, they're stuck with that set-up at lest for this year, they only re-evaluate divisional alignments every 2 or 3 years I think.
Don't have a CLUE WHAT SOME PEOPLE THINK... I hardly hear about her unless it is a bashing of me what I think of her or what school she will be playing at. Everyone is more concerned of her eligibility, etc.. then her TALENT. She would be the NBC player of the year this year, and next year. I don't give a *&^^ what league you play in when you do what she did as a Fr. and Soph, that is impressive. SHE IS A GOOD PLAYER, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Now that you have more weapons around you, the better you will be.

And as far as credibility, you said on the NBC sight there was different of 20 kids, and it was over a hundred, I question your credibility. Heck, for some schools it was almost 200 but you said 20 then got corrected!! Credibility, you were suppose to send me an AAU tourny to attend because my experience was not good. That was months ago and you have yet to send me one. I may be off her point average within a few points, you have yet to get me a schedule and were off by students to classes by 100-200 in some schools. Don't talk to me about credibility!
Old 10-28-12, 03:38 PM
Junior Varsity

Foo is on a distinguished road
Some may be concerned with Hogan's eligibility due to her talent. I don't know if she averages a high number but she will get many involved on offense and can pressure on D. I think she is a great player no matter what league she is in. McK, Lake, and Hoover should battle. Not sure there is a clear favorite. Lake and Hoover both have a bunch coming back from young squads last year.
Old 10-28-12, 04:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foo View Post
Some may be concerned with Hogan's eligibility due to her talent. I don't know if she averages a high number but she will get many involved on offense and can pressure on D. I think she is a great player no matter what league she is in. McK, Lake, and Hoover should battle. Not sure there is a clear favorite. Lake and Hoover both have a bunch coming back from young squads last year.
AGREE!!! The young lady has started on as a Fr. on a 12-8 team and as a soph. on a 16-4 team. She helped put Marlington on the map. To me, from what I saw, she can do the following:
- good penetration from the perimeter
- good ball handler
- pushes the ball
- directs and leads the fast break
- intense, in your face defender
- good hands and appears to always be getting deflections and steals
- decent perimeter shot
- above average 3 point shooter
- sees the floor
- good at making adjustments, though likes to push the ball, can adjust and run a half court set
- floor leader
- though small, aggressive

And I am sure I missed some things. I have seen her play 3 games as a Fr. and 3 games as a soph. Each time I saw her, she seemed to improve. She had a nice group around her at Marlington, however, she has an even better group of athletes around her now at McKinley. I am not saying she is taking McK. to a state title, but adding a player who averaged aroung 15 a game as soph. is a nice addition. I think what McKinley does is more suited for her game, INTENSE IN YOUR FACE DEFENSE, and PUSHING THE BALL. I think Marlington does that, but not like the Bulldogs!
Old 10-28-12, 09:01 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Again, thewho and whoever else cares, I have never said she won't have a serious positive impact on the Lady Pups team. Of course she will. All I have ever taken issue with was your proclamation that she'll average some ludicrously high number of points on a team where there aren't THAT many points to take. Thus the credibility comment. You've seen Hogan play 6 total times? Congrats, that's amazing. I used the "some people" in my post because that's how you referred to me in your post. As for the NBC thread, my statement was that they aren't that much bigger than the others in the NBC (they aren't) and that they are smaller than most D-1's (they are). I was the first to recognize my GUESS at the number was off. As for the AAU tourney thing, we discussed that after AAU season was over. Just to clue you in, that season's from March to May. I haven't had anything to send you.
Old 10-28-12, 11:27 PM
All American

warriors378 is on a distinguished road
1 Hoover
2 McKinley
3 Lake
4 GlenOak
5 Perry
6 Jackson
7 Boardman
Old 10-29-12, 07:08 AM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Hogan will help the pups but I like McGal don't see her averaging 15 to 20...she may have one of those games where she is in the zone but the level of competition she will play will be an eye opener...she will be pressured and pushed by girls who are about the same in athletic ability..not just in the league but by OOC teams...she has a weekness that has been her downfall and good coaches will find it...
Old 10-29-12, 11:14 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Again, thewho and whoever else cares, I have never said she won't have a serious positive impact on the Lady Pups team. Of course she will. All I have ever taken issue with was your proclamation that she'll average some ludicrously high number of points on a team where there aren't THAT many points to take. Thus the credibility comment. You've seen Hogan play 6 total times? Congrats, that's amazing. I used the "some people" in my post because that's how you referred to me in your post. As for the NBC thread, my statement was that they aren't that much bigger than the others in the NBC (they aren't) and that they are smaller than most D-1's (they are). I was the first to recognize my GUESS at the number was off. As for the AAU tourney thing, we discussed that after AAU season was over. Just to clue you in, that season's from March to May. I haven't had anything to send you.
As you guessed your # was off in the NBC, didn't I also put on a thread that 15-20 points could have been alot and I agreed with you in a previous thread, but you brought up my original statement, not my second statement. As for seeing her 6 times, it is probably 6 more then anyone else. When I make statements on here, I put "in my opinion", or "what I heard", or "I have not seen that team play". I dont just throw out any old thing, I through out if heard, and observation if I seen the player play. From what I saw in 6 GAMES PLAYED, I liked. What I saw as a Fr/Soph. I liked. Either way, if she averages 4 points a game, she will help the Bulldogs!
Old 10-29-12, 12:12 PM
All American

Spartan0505 is on a distinguished road
Boardman will not be as bad as everybody thinks. Should be a decent team with a lot of returning starters
Old 10-29-12, 04:35 PM
All American

20/20
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecity View Post
...she has a weekness that has been her downfall and good coaches will find it...
I know, I know. Teacher, call on me!! Watch her for one game against good competition and you can pick it up. A coach that can't pick it up (the weeeeekness sp.) is probably being dominated anyway.
Old 10-29-12, 06:45 PM
All Region

THSBEEFCAKE08 is on a distinguished road
How will Perry be this season?They do have a tremendous coach leading the way for them now.
Old 10-29-12, 07:29 PM
All American

ccrunner4815
Quote:
Originally Posted by THSBEEFCAKE08 View Post
How will Perry be this season?They do have a tremendous coach leading the way for them now.
I thought they had a tremendous coach last season as well!