Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 09-29-12, 01:05 PM
All Region

Louisville at Carrollton

I haven't seen video of the Duckworth injury, and have not heard anything "official" about the severity of the injury. This game and the Harbins at stake is a must win for both teams if they want to make the playoffs. It will be interesting to see what we do on offense, whatever it is I think the more we can get the ball in Ohman's hands the better. I expect the defense to come in with the attitude that they have to completely shut down the Warriors if we want to come home with a win, and that might be true. We might just see the D play as fast and aggressive as we have all season.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-12, 01:58 PM
All District

If there's a silver lining that resulted from Duckworth's injury, it's the way the Louisville players rallied together after it with some of them clearly stepping up their level of play to get the win against Alliance. They could have just as easily felt sorry for their injured teammate and themselves, and let that game slip away from them.

I agree it's going to be interesting to see what the coaches come up with for the offense this week, as what they had in place previously was clearly tailored around Duckworth. Although what they used with McQuilkin and Ohman got them through last night, they can't rely on that as a long term solution.
Old 09-29-12, 02:09 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopard_Fan View Post
If there's a silver lining that resulted from Duckworth's injury, it's the way the Louisville players rallied together after it with some of them clearly stepping up their level of play to get the win against Alliance. They could have just as easily felt sorry for their injured teammate and themselves, and let that game slip away from them.

I agree it's going to be interesting to see what the coaches come up with for the offense this week, as what they had in place previously was clearly tailored around Duckworth. Although what they used with McQuilkin and Ohman got them through last night, they can't rely on that as a long term solution.

I said on another post it sure would have been nice to have a QB ready to step in. You can't tell me that we came into this season with McQ and Trent as our backup plan? Again this is my issue with not letting anyone other then Joey take 7 on 7 snaps, and then not using JV games to get kids ready to play. We are QB driven offense, it sure seems to me we would have had a plan and used Saturdays to get that plan ready (considering we haven't had a QB make it through a season in years). I watched the Freshman last year and watched the JV team this year and there is a player there that can help us.
Old 09-29-12, 02:39 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222left View Post
I said on another post it sure would have been nice to have a QB ready to step in. You can't tell me that we came into this season with McQ and Trent as our backup plan? Again this is my issue with not letting anyone other then Joey take 7 on 7 snaps, and then not using JV games to get kids ready to play. We are QB driven offense, it sure seems to me we would have had a plan and used Saturdays to get that plan ready (considering we haven't had a QB make it through a season in years). I watched the Freshman last year and watched the JV team this year and there is a player there that can help us.
You certainly have a valid point about the coaches not having a viable backup QB ready to step in, particularly with all the injuries they've had at QB the past few years and the offense relying so heavily on the play of the QB. The point I was trying to get at with my last post is how the players stuck together, some of them stepped out their level of play, and they got the win. The fact there isn't a good option ready as a backup QB isn't the players' fault...it's clearly on the coaches.

I agree the coaches apparently have not learned their lessson from the rash of QB injuries the past few years. They more or less had the same thing happen 3 years ago when Swigert went down. No disrespect meant toward him, but Minster clearly wasn't the answer then and Neff wasn't adept at throwing the ball that year. The coaches should have seen that during practice before throwing them in there and wondering why it didn't work. A similar thing happened when Neff went down last year. At least Duckworth did have some experience at QB from playing JV, but basically got thrown to the wolves with the varsity and struggled while having to more or less learn on the job.

That's why I said "it's going to be interesting to see what the coaches come up with". Based on what they patched together last night, I'm not sure whether they will be able to come up with a great plan since they don't already have one in place.
Old 09-29-12, 06:32 PM
All Ohio

We have 2 options at this point.....1)Bring up Parks and spend the week getting him ready to run this offense the way it was designed. You cannot run this offense with Ohman. 2) Change the offense...use what we already know, change the formations a bit, and take a page out of the movie We Are Marshall...run a version of the veer. Ohman would be great in that position...put Shrock and Heyford in the backfield...run reads, and options...put the ball in the air about 10 times and all these plays are already in our o-line blocking scheme. You could even intall an H back and run with a 2 receiver formation. These kids are smart and this type of offense will come easy to them. I see no advantage to waste our time putting Ohman in for running plays and McQuilken in for passing plays, while keeping the same 5 wide formation. Last night we showed that we can run the ball with Ohman...he's patient enough to wait for the hole to open, and tough enough to get the yards. The big weight will be on the defense for the next 4 games, b/c we will not be scoring 35 points a game. They will have to hold some good teams to 1 or 2 scores for us to have a chance. The burden is on the coaching staff to come up with a viable option...as far as i'm concerned they put the team in this position when they had no back-up plan...now it's up to them to find a way to win. It won't take me long to see how much work they put in this week. I'm positive these kids don't want to quit.

Last edited by Lynus24; 09-29-12 at 06:44 PM..
Old 09-29-12, 09:10 PM
All Ohio

Could be interesting with both teams banged up. Sorry to here about Duckworth,the game of football is loaded with all kinds of injuries simply due to the nature of the game, but questionable injuries are tough to accept. To often its hard to remember there's actually a person behind the facemask and not just some sort of football robot. Peoples lives are affected!

Back to the game. Plenty of adjusting for both coaching staffs. Now is when the depth chart comes into play, and historically the advantage goes to Louisville. This year Carrollton is as deep as we've been in years so hopefully we have closed the "depth gap" somewhat. You guys are right, its probably do or die for both teams as far as the playoffs go. But thats OK, we'll just start the playoffs a month early and see how long we can last.
Hoping both teams have a healthy and injury free week.
Old 09-30-12, 04:15 PM
All Ohio

[QUOTE=dig it;5204365]
Now is when the depth chart comes into play, and historically the advantage goes to Louisville.

We have depth everywhere except the position on our team that produces 95% of the offense. Joey had thrown 100% of the passes, and had 90% of the rushing attempts. Our offensive gameplan had all our "eggs in 1 basket". This would be acceptable if we were sitting on another basket...but we are not. Now...when a bunch of dummies, like myself...questioned this when the rumors started in the off-season, about no running game...and then questioned why we are the only team i've ever seen that doesn't use the JV program, for what it was intended...I've gotta ask myself again...is this how we want our program run. EVERYBODY has heard the sayings that...the back-up QB is the most important position on the team...and, your 1 play from getting in the game at any time. It blows my mind that our "offensive guru" of a coach seemingly hasen't taken any of this into consideration. It seems that he struggles to "see the forest from the trees", and this could be a problem in the near future. I have confidence in our supporting staff, to make whatever changes DeMarco feels will give us the best chance to win...My confidence drops considerably, that he will swollow his pride and put in the necessary changes. It won't take long friday night to figure out if we're out there to win, or if we're just showing up for the last 4 games.
Old 09-30-12, 04:55 PM
All Ohio

Lynus, true that on the backup QB's importance. 10 days ago we were in great shape at the QB spot, but on friday against Marlington, all of a sudden, we had to use a WR to take snaps for a series or so until Deitz limped back on. Had our #2 QB been dressed he would have probably finished the game. Deitz toughed it out at probably less than 50% running ability.
Used correctly, a week is plenty of time for either team to make enough adjustments to at least be competitive. Most games really come down to line play and TO's.
Old 09-30-12, 09:25 PM
All District

Here is my question for Louisville. Unfortunately Duckworth was hurt against Alliance last friday night. I go to 2 or 3 Louisville games a year not as many as the Louisville fans.

But looking at the past few years. Swigert didn't finish his senior season at QB. Neff got hurt last year. Duckworth this year.

With these recent QB injuries why is there not another QB ready as the backup. I mean you almost have to prepare for it how it has happened the past few years unfortunately. Someone said Duckworth took all the snaps in 7 on 7 and everything and there is no JV QB ready.

That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I hope the Leps can get over this injury because I felt they would win out and make the playoffs and they still can.
Old 09-30-12, 09:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
Used correctly, a week is plenty of time for either team to make enough adjustments to at least be competitive. Most games really come down to line play and TO's.
That's correct
Old 09-30-12, 10:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPNCLASSIC View Post
Here is my question for Louisville. Unfortunately Duckworth was hurt against Alliance last friday night. I go to 2 or 3 Louisville games a year not as many as the Louisville fans.

But looking at the past few years. Swigert didn't finish his senior season at QB. Neff got hurt last year. Duckworth this year.

With these recent QB injuries why is there not another QB ready as the backup. I mean you almost have to prepare for it how it has happened the past few years unfortunately. Someone said Duckworth took all the snaps in 7 on 7 and everything and there is no JV QB ready.

That just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I have always been a huge supporter of this staff and that is no secret, but this boggles my mind as well. I take serious issue with not using the JV games as way to get a QB ready should something happen. I have seen most of the JV games and have no doubt that there is a QB there that could have helped us in this situation. However, the staff felt the need (or pressure) to rotate QB's and thus I can't imagine the staff is ready to put in a Sophomore that they haven't let play a full JV to take snaps on a Friday night. It makes less sense to me then it does to you.
Old 10-01-12, 07:33 AM
All Ohio

I would have liked to play the Leopards with Duckworth at the helm( maybe that will still happen, hopefully the injury is not as severe as originally thought). You always want to know how you match up against your opponents best, and as with WB & Marlington, I know we can compete. Last week we just got rocked with injuries either late in the week or at game time, but thats football. With a little time to adjust hopefully we'll be OK. With our #2 QB out for the year, if Deitz goes down our situation is dire, as we found out last week!
Old 10-01-12, 08:13 AM
Freshman

Its easy to sit back and say that the coaches do not have someone prepared, but the situation isnt that bad. Losing Duckworth hurts without a doubt! I am sure these coaches have a plan moving forward. If they want to win games against the bottom feeders of the NBC, the will stay with snapping the ball to a WR and running up the middle. If they want a balanced offense that will get them past the league and have a shot in the playoffs, the will bring up the kid from JV, give him a RB, and run a balanced offense....the future is bright...
Old 10-01-12, 09:19 AM
All Ohio

sandbags, I hope your not referring to Carrollton as a bottom feeder(at least not this year). If your team prepares for them as such, you will look pretty silly come Friday night!
Old 10-01-12, 09:33 AM
All American

Quote:
sandbags, I hope your not referring to Carrollton as a bottom feeder(at least not this year). If your team prepares for them as such, you will look pretty silly come Friday night!
seems like he's calling WB a bottom feeder too...which amazes me how many people feel WB is THAT bad even though our three non conference losses have a combined record of 16-2. If we would of won two out of those three, they'd still be 14-4, which is pretty tough. Don't sleep on either one of the Warriors...especially this friday...

Remember, WB didn't have Wells week 2 and week 3 on offense. Lost those two games by a combined 6 points...Just a thought...

dig it, did Dietz play the game at all at Marlington? If so, when did he get hurt? Heard Carrollton did well for a while, but just couldn't get into the endzone...
Old 10-01-12, 11:15 AM
All Ohio

378, Dodd went down in the 1st half w/ankle, tried to return a play or two but realized it was useless. Deitz missed a full series and maybe a little more in the 1st half, played the 2nd half at probably 50% mobility. All of a sudden our triple threat backfield was reduced to 1 and 1/2 players. Thomas simply spied peterson and we struggled to move the ball with the exception of the bomb to #11.
Marlington is explosive, but there's no reason WB can't win, IF they don't turn it over and play physical and fast on "D".( we really missed Dodd on the defensive side also). You will need a good all around game out of your QB.
WB will have plenty to say about who wins the NBC. New Philly should count their blessings, not having to have faced Wells in week 2.
Old 10-01-12, 11:45 AM
All District

West Branch was lucky Hill the All Ohio LB from New Phila got hurt, when he was in the game NP was leading 28-3.
Old 10-01-12, 11:47 AM
Freshman

Are you guys wearing skirts and fluffing pom poms running around looking for bulletin board material or what? Yea sure...like WB or Carrollton could be called "bottom feeders"???
Two quality programs that are playing well right now. Are you really that insecure??

Alliance....who is 0-6...is a "bottom feeder" that we barely beat because of our backup plan.

We would be challenged to beat "like" teams with our current plan...

Are you OK now? Hugs???
Old 10-01-12, 02:33 PM
All Ohio

Bags, yea I feel much better.Thanks for asking! Has nothing to do with the bulletin board, just prodding to find out what you really meant!
Thanks for the hug, but sounds like they are needed much more in Leopardville!!
Old 10-02-12, 11:14 AM
All Region

Has the extent of Duckworth's injury been determined yet?
Old 10-02-12, 12:10 PM
All Ohio

The offensive gameplan that they turned to after Duckworth went down is not the answer, unlike what a couple on here have suggested. That was the most laughably defensible offense I have seen in years.

As far as bringing up the Soph, in my opinion, I do not think he is near quick enough or big enough to execute this offense at the speed it needs, at the varsity level. As a matter of fact, I believe that the QB who took over for the freshman last year after he went down, is a more capable athlete in this offense.

One more thing I must mention as yes, I have been critical of this coaching staff. I am hearing the word "competitive" mentioned around town by fans, way too frequently lately. It's a very disturbing development; it all starts at the top.....

I hope they can make the changes necessary to win the remaining games or 6-4 looks like a real possibility right now. Good luck Leopards.
Old 10-02-12, 12:33 PM
All Ohio

LepsLB, in football the words "competitive" and "believe" have nearly the same meaning. If you don't believe in whatever it is you do, you won't be successful.
The difference between Carrollton this year and the recent past is belief. Belief that the next play will BE successful. When your coaches are willing to adapt to what you truly have, then the players start to believe and therefore you become competitive.
Old 10-02-12, 12:45 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
LepsLB, in football the words "competitive" and "believe" have nearly the same meaning. If you don't believe in whatever it is you do, you won't be successful.
The difference between Carrollton this year and the recent past is belief. Belief that the next play will BE successful. When your coaches are willing to adapt to what you truly have, then the players start to believe and therefore you become competitive.
While I don't agree with your belief that those words are synonomous, I was refering to fans saying- " I just hope we can be competitive this year/ game ". The confidence in the fanbase is lacking this year, and for reason. That is all I was trying to say. I have no problem with those that mention that we are a bit thin on the talent side compared to other years. I also believe that we are a bit thin on the level of coaching, as the last 3 years of football have showed.
Old 10-02-12, 12:48 PM
All Ohio

Dig It, I'm sorry, but the word "competitive" must have a different meaning in Louisville. The old guard will not settle for being "competitive". To me that means 5-5, 6-4 and no playoffs. That will not get it done.
Old 10-02-12, 01:44 PM
All Ohio

LepsLB & Hitme, I do agree with your view point as a program like yours that has been on the top for so long. "competitive" is probably viewed in a negative sense, but from our stand point, we look at it as the first step to getting to the top. Therefore, "competitive" for us is a positive word. "belief" is a MUST for any program.

My main point was players have to believe in the coaches, and good coaches will adjust to whatever talent level they have. Some coaches are bound and determined to fit that square peg into that round hole, then use the players as the excuse. But at least their pride is intact!
Old 10-02-12, 05:04 PM
Varsity

"Some coaches are bound and determined to fit that square peg into that round hole, then use the players as the excuse. But at least their pride is intact!"

@dig it...You must have been going to Louisville Touchdown Club meetings recently.
Old 10-02-12, 06:29 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUC87;5208098[B
]"Some coaches are bound and determined to fit that square peg into that round hole,[/B] then use the players as the excuse. But at least their pride is intact!"

@dig it...You must have been going to Louisville Touchdown Club meetings recently.
Might be the best way to describe what I see too.
Old 10-02-12, 06:42 PM
All Ohio

Actually I was talking about our defense the last few years, but it does sound like it may also apply to your offense with the current regime. I find it hard to believe a school the size of Louisville there isn't a running back who can play every down.
Old 10-02-12, 07:04 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Actually I was talking about our defense the last few years, but it does sound like it may also apply to your offense with the current regime. I find it hard to believe a school the size of Louisville there isn't a running back who can play every down.
I couldn't agree more!! When I heard l-ville was going to a 5 wide with no rb I was confused ever since I can remember Louisville has always had that stud running back / middle linebacker! Clear back to the early 90's I can't remember there names but I think there was the posey's? And I know there were more but they are all slipping my mind now... Maybe a leopard fan could help me out with the names... But the point is they were studs on both sides of the ball.. You had to stop him from running it cause he sure as heck was going to stop you along with his other buddies at the blitzing lb position!
Old 10-02-12, 09:05 PM
Varsity

Quote:
They have RB'S, but choose not to use them, in no particular order

G Anile
C Beamer
T Hayford
A Minster
Z Shea
A Schooley
W Schrock
M Wiess

T Ohman