Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 10-02-12, 11:52 AM
All Ohio

Maverick0425 is on a distinguished road
Week 7: Minerva @ Marlington

I was debating whether to start a thread for this game but here goes. It's gut-check time for this Lions team. There are still four games to play and, although they may not be playing for the NBC title or a playoff berth, this 2012 group needs to decide what its legacy will be. Who will step up?

Marlington, on the other hand, has put together another nice season and appears to be on track for the NBC title and a home playoff game. All accounts indicate that this is a solid, well coached Marlington team.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-12, 12:19 PM
All Ohio

dig it is on a distinguished road
Didn't know till after game that Riley didn't play. Had heard that Parrish was unavailable. Without those two Minerva was at a serious disadvantage against WB.Are either of them back this week?
Marlington is well coached and plays good defense, but to be honest, the football gods seem to be smiling on them. A lot has gone their way, but good teams know how to take advantage of breaks and Marlington is a good team with a great player.
Thomas makes the players around him better because they don't play timid. His teammates are not afraid to make mistakes. They know if they screw up, he has the ability to make up for it in one play. Thomas has to stay healthy for them to have some success in the playoffs. If he were to go down, I honestly don't know how many games they can win w/o him. I'm not trying to take anything away from the other players, they play hard and each does his job, but he makes it so much easier for them to shine because he demands so much attention.
Hope Minerva is at full strength in order to see how they really stack up. Rooting for Minerva because the league title is still out there, but if the Dukes win the league I'll still be a playoff fan(unless you would happen to match up with the Warriors)!
Old 10-02-12, 12:23 PM
All Ohio

Feel bad for Jake Riley! He just cant seem to stay healthy for an entire season. He's a great kid and deserves better!
Old 10-02-12, 02:36 PM
All Region

Qcity is on a distinguished road
Salem led Marlington for the first 20 minutes of the game, and actually made Marlington win it through the air, which they did. There is no way, in my opinion, they are deserving of the #1 ranked DIII team in the state, as today's rankings indicate, but still they are a darn good football team with a great, game-changing athlete. If Minerva was healthy I am sure they could compete, but if they don't have their best player(s) they will have problems, as we saw with the WB game.
Old 10-02-12, 03:03 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
Salem led Marlington for the first 20 minutes of the game, and actually made Marlington win it through the air, which they did. There is no way, in my opinion, they are deserving of the #1 ranked DIII team in the state, as today's rankings indicate, but still they are a darn good football team with a great, game-changing athlete. If Minerva was healthy I am sure they could compete, but if they don't have their best player(s) they will have problems, as we saw with the WB game.
I'm going to chime in here. Minerva didn't have Riley or Parrish against WB; those two account for around 300 yards of offense a game and it obviously impacted the outcome of that game. I'm not saying that Minerva would have won but the game would have been much more competitive. However, both myself and Liontown have pointed out that Minerva seems to have some serious problems defensively. There have been several examples this year where the Minerva players either hit but fail to wrap, or wrap and lose runners in their grasp. There have also been some issues with outside contain. These problems have continued week after week. I have serious concerns that if these issues continue, Riley and Parrish won't make much of a difference in this ball game.

As far as whether Marlington deserves to be ranked #1 in Division III? We need to keep in mind that a lot of it has to do with reputation. Marlington has had some good teams over the last 3-4 years, having a 5* safety recruit on your team certainly never hurts. At the same time, most of the posters on here realize that the NBC is weak this year. This isn't a knock on Marlington but more a fact of reality.

Last edited by Maverick0425; 10-02-12 at 03:57 PM..
Old 10-02-12, 05:02 PM
All Ohio

If Minerva struggles to contain then it could be a long nite. Marlington's wideouts are good blockers. They are very good at locking on(sometimes too good).
Old 10-02-12, 07:16 PM
All Ohio

1_wbwarriors is on a distinguished road
I understand that Riley and Parrish didn't play last week and that obviously affect Minerva on the offensive side of the ball.. However as noted by maverick there problems are on d! Yes the score may have been closer if those 2 would have played but that would of meant wells would have fan for another 100 yards.. There was no stopping him and he was a tackle away from breaking a long one everytime. He averaged 9 yards a carry... I'm not sure how big marlingtons line is compared to wb's but if wells can't be contained by Minerva (23 carries 212 yds 4 Tds) in 3 quarters and change.. Can they stop Thomas?

I hope so! Good luck lions!
Old 10-04-12, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcity View Post
I agree completely. Losing your best player is never a positive thing, when that player happens to be your QB (whom the entire offense revolves around) tends to lead to problems.

The Lions have had a nice run over the last 4-5 years but lost a lot to graduation. Minerva being the smallest school in the league doesn't quite have the horses/depth to continually win 8-10 games a year in the NBC. I was actually informed this weekend that the enrollment at Minerva High School is 25% to 30% lower than it was a decade or so ago; in the past we had graduating classes between 200 and 250 on a consistent basis.

The good thing is that there is a lot of talent coming up at the middle school level and several young players all over the field. This is a town that loves football and the talent has always tended to come in waves.
Old 10-04-12, 12:22 PM
All Region

Backdrop 1040 is on a distinguished road
I was wondering what kind of year Diamonte Thomas was having, if anyone knows. I met him at a camp this summer and he seems like a really good kid. I'm Buchtel fan and we don't get much info on Marlington up here. Are they really as good as their #1 ranking?
Old 10-04-12, 04:22 PM
Junior Varsity

stallvr4 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backdrop 1040 View Post
I was wondering what kind of year Diamonte Thomas was having, if anyone knows. I met him at a camp this summer and he seems like a really good kid. I'm Buchtel fan and we don't get much info on Marlington up here. Are they really as good as their #1 ranking?
I am a Marlington graduate and a fan. I will give you my honest opinion, and that is Marlington is fundamentally sound, but average at best if you take away Thomas. Dymonte, however is a special special player and makes them what they are. He is incredible on both sides of the ball and makes up for so many mistakes and shortcomings of the other players. He is just so much better than every other player on the field each game its ridiculous.

Alot of people keep saying that Marlington is well coached, but I completely disagree. I have gone to every game for the last 4 years and I believe they win in spite of the coaching at times. Miley burns timeouts early in the game and never has any for the 2 minute drive before half. The play calling is awful at times, and often times things are an unorganized mess. But they keep getting it done because of #1.

The QB is getting better every week at reading and running the triple option, and thats making them more and more dangerous. Its been a learning process, but this team is getting better each week and the O-line is finally playing with a little bit of purpose.
Old 10-05-12, 08:51 PM
All Ohio

I can say that Marlington has the football gods smiling on them right now. In a game without Minerva's Riley and Marlington's Thomas, the Dukes were able to grind it out in the final quarter and a half for the win. Missing both of these cancelled each other out. The score was 27-10 but the game was much closer than this; Minerva missed several opportunities. In a game of turnovers and sloppy play, I give Minerva the edge in number of self-inflicted wounds (the story of the season for the Lions).

For the Lions, there are 3 winnable games remaining on the schedule and they should strive for a .500 record and strive for a win against Carrollton as a focal point. This is assuming Jake Riley returns. Although I'm not a coach, I would highly recommend keeping Josie (Jake's younger brother) at QB and putting Jake at RB for the remainder of the season. It is likely that next year Josie will be needed at QB and this could get him some solid experience moving forward. Not to discount this season but the future truly looks bright for this Minerva roster with several players returning on both sides of the ball.
Old 10-05-12, 09:43 PM
All District

Liontown is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
I can say that Marlington has the football gods smiling on them right now. In a game without Minerva's Riley and Marlington's Thomas, the Dukes were able to grind it out in the final quarter and a half for the win. Missing both of these cancelled each other out. The score was 27-10 but the game was much closer than this; Minerva missed several opportunities. In a game of turnovers and sloppy play, I give Minerva the edge in number of self-inflicted wounds (the story of the season for the Lions).

For the Lions, there are 3 winnable games remaining on the schedule and they should strive for a .500 record and strive for a win against Carrollton as a focal point. This is assuming Jake Riley returns. Although I'm not a coach, I would highly recommend keeping Josie (Jake's younger brother) at QB and putting Jake at RB for the remainder of the season. It is likely that next year Josie will be needed at QB and this could get him some solid experience moving forward. Not to discount this season but the future truly looks bright for this Minerva roster with several players returning on both sides of the ball.
I agree Maverick and hopefully the coaches will to. I expected this game to be a disappointing blow out and found our lions battling for the win in the 4th. You could tell the young lions started believing they could win. If the interceptions don't happen (both of which should make some highlight real somewhere as they were incredible catches) and we don't drop the easy passes, it is a different game. For a kid taking his first varsity snap at QB last week, the younger Riley was impressive. He sees the field well when he scrambles and gets rid of theball quickly. Thanks to lions for giving us something to cheer about tonight.
Old 10-05-12, 11:55 PM
All Ohio

Thomas is such a HUGE part of the Dukes, on either side of the ball. The same with Riley. Hard to picture these teams w/o their studs, but would have thought Minerva might have had just as many weapons, if not more, with those two guys on the sideline.