Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 10-21-12, 09:38 PM
All Region

Kasson is on a distinguished road
Just an FYI high school teams can play 22 games this season instead of the normal 20 games.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-12, 12:17 AM
All American

warriors378 is on a distinguished road
since we have more post traffic, here's my updated predictions:

1) Carrollton
1) West Branch
3) Louisville
4) Canton South
5) Minerva
6) Salem
7) Marlington
8) Alliance
Old 10-22-12, 12:57 PM
All District

TheBranch79 is on a distinguished road
Kasson, who cares if a team scores 2 points in a JV game, Marlington had a bunch of kids pulled up and they were young. We always had trouble with their freshman class and I would assume they would be pulling a bunch of those kids up. Sometimes schools get a bad class and thats what Marlington has had.

If Chambers played, they would have 3 seniors, 2 Juniors starting. They wouldnt be bad, just really young and wouldnt beat WB or Louisville. Carrollton always confuses me, they win big games and lose some that they should win. I am a big time believer in South this year, Mark my words, they will surprise a lot of people.

Marlington is in a bad spot this year, chambers plays then they will be middle back. She doesnt, they will be near bottom. Hogan will be a huge loss like everyone says but even past that they lost a coach that always had them ready to play whether they had talent or not. I saw a few parents from marlington saying they couldnt find coaches this year, is Coach Miller coaching somewhere else? Did his staff follow? They said they were looking for a new assistant and middle school coach?

All in all I think this will be a good NBC year, some teams will surprise and some will disappoint.

WB
Carrollton
South/Louisville
South Louisville
Minerva
Marlington
Salem
Alliance
Old 10-22-12, 04:35 PM
All Ohio

thewho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBranch79 View Post
Kasson, who cares if a team scores 2 points in a JV game, Marlington had a bunch of kids pulled up and they were young. We always had trouble with their freshman class and I would assume they would be pulling a bunch of those kids up. Sometimes schools get a bad class and thats what Marlington has had.

If Chambers played, they would have 3 seniors, 2 Juniors starting. They wouldnt be bad, just really young and wouldnt beat WB or Louisville. Carrollton always confuses me, they win big games and lose some that they should win. I am a big time believer in South this year, Mark my words, they will surprise a lot of people.

Marlington is in a bad spot this year, chambers plays then they will be middle back. She doesnt, they will be near bottom. Hogan will be a huge loss like everyone says but even past that they lost a coach that always had them ready to play whether they had talent or not. I saw a few parents from marlington saying they couldnt find coaches this year, is Coach Miller coaching somewhere else? Did his staff follow? They said they were looking for a new assistant and middle school coach?

All in all I think this will be a good NBC year, some teams will surprise and some will disappoint.

WB
Carrollton
South/Louisville
South Louisville
Minerva
Marlington
Salem
Alliance
From what my pal said who's daughter is currently on the team is Miller took another job out of the education field and he currently isn't coaching. I just start to wonder though if he saw some writing on the wall. He lost a good player, but had alot of talent coming back from a 16-4 team before losing the 2 best players. Makes me wonder if there is more to this...
Old 10-22-12, 04:46 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho View Post
From what my pal said who's daughter is currently on the team is Miller took another job out of the education field and he currently isn't coaching. I just start to wonder though if he saw some writing on the wall. He lost a good player, but had alot of talent coming back from a 16-4 team before losing the 2 best players. Makes me wonder if there is more to this...
The guy built the program up with far less talent then he had coming back, seems like he just had a new plan outside of school.
Old 10-23-12, 10:19 AM
All American

Miller has continued his career with basketball, but not coaching. I saw him a couple times this summer/fall, and he was selling these products:

http://www.ballher.com/sport/basketball

Not bad IMHO...That business seems to be doing very well...
Old 10-23-12, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The guy built the program up with far less talent then he had coming back, seems like he just had a new plan outside of school.
I understand you statement, but... if I had that much talent coming back from a 16-4 team with about 80% seniors and your best player a jr. (AGAIN... if they all stayed)., I would have tried to at least coach one more year with that talent coming back. That is me, and I don't know what his job requirements are, so... maybe he couldn't do both. That is why I made the statement "maybe he saw the writing on the wall". And I think we can all agree...if that whole team came back, they would have competed for the league. One thing they lack, a POST PRESENCE!
Old 10-23-12, 03:56 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
Miller has continued his career with basketball, but not coaching. I saw him a couple times this summer/fall, and he was selling these products:

http://www.ballher.com/sport/basketball

Not bad IMHO...That business seems to be doing very well...
I went to this site, not bad. Curious, where is his store located??? Never seen that store anywhere and I am a frequent shopper with my kids. I saw one store location and it was in Knoxville, Tennesse.
Old 10-23-12, 06:35 PM
All American

Quote:
I went to this site, not bad. Curious, where is his store located??? Never seen that store anywhere and I am a frequent shopper with my kids. I saw one store location and it was in Knoxville, Tennesse.
Couple places I've seen him is at Lodi Recreation Center and Barberton High School. Barberton High School for that summer shootout on that one weekend, and also saw him at Lodi Recreation Center for the saturday there a few weeks ago for the Showcase they had. I think he just goes to particular events, and puts it up there as a "vendor" basically...
Old 10-23-12, 10:13 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
He sells that stuff at tourneys a lot and they've done very well the times I've seen them working.... if it's better for he and his family to focus on the business, can't blame him for making the choice he did.
Old 10-24-12, 01:02 AM
All American

WARRIORS_94 is on a distinguished road
West Branch should win the league title. We'll see just how good the Warriors right off the bat. They open up with Ursuline.
Old 10-24-12, 06:53 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORS_94 View Post
West Branch should win the league title. We'll see just how good the Warriors right off the bat. They open up with Ursuline.
I see they play Hoover over christmas break...that's an intriguing matchup as well...

West Branch's non-conference opponents:

South Range
East Liverpool
United
Cardinal Mooney
Ursuline
Canfield
Austintown Fitch
North Canton Hoover
Old 10-24-12, 03:53 PM
All Ohio

westbranchfan
Interesting to see they got Hoover back on the schedule... there were a few great battles in the past.
Old 10-24-12, 05:30 PM
All Region

Does anyone know if the Federal - NBC preview is taking place again this year and if so where?
Old 10-24-12, 05:58 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasson View Post
Does anyone know if the Federal - NBC preview is taking place again this year and if so where?
I heard 2 things... I was told some schools are, and others aren't. It is not like the other years where they played one year at home, and one year on the road. Depends on the school.
Old 10-24-12, 06:47 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORS_94 View Post
I'm sure Carrollton and Louisville will be right in the mix. I don't think there is much that separates these teams. Remember it has been awhile since West Branch has won the NBC.
Old 10-24-12, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
From what I've been told, the foundation series between the Federal League and the NBC is not happening this year... I'm sure some of the teams will still take the opportunity to get the game-conditions scrimmage in however and probably against each other.
Old 10-24-12, 07:36 PM
All Region

I still like the old format where all the league teams played at one location & you were able see all the teams in one night. I think the Federal League was a tall order for the NBC in the preview format.
Old 10-25-12, 08:46 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasson View Post
I still like the old format where all the league teams played at one location & you were able see all the teams in one night. I think the Federal League was a tall order for the NBC in the preview format.
I believe Marlington and Lake are doing it, and maybe another FL-NBC team are.

From what I have heard, girls hoops starts tomorrow, boys next Friday. Lets play B-Ball!!!
Old 10-25-12, 10:18 PM
All American

Quote:
I believe Marlington and Lake are doing it, and maybe another FL-NBC team are.

From what I have heard, girls hoops starts tomorrow, boys next Friday. Lets play B-Ball!!!
yep...OHSAA Girl's Basketball programs can officially start tryouts/practice tomorrow...
Old 10-25-12, 10:50 PM
All Ohio

74Leps is on a distinguished road
Louisville will have 5 solid players back from last year if all of them are playing. Rice at guard and Mackenzie Rankin up from JV/varsity bench at guard. The Lemmon sisters at forward/center and Monnot at forward.

That doesn't mean they will win the league but I don't think anyone in the NBC is going to have an easy time with them.
Old 10-26-12, 05:33 PM
All Ohio

I think Louisville has out grown the NBC in some sports and girls bball is one of them. Isn't the Leopards Div. I in girls hoops? I am assuming they then have much more girls to chose from them lets say the Carroltons, Souths, etc.. of the league. Is that their fault, NO... With that being said, I think a school of that size in this league will be competitive year in and year out, especially when you have a much larger pool to chose from. Again... that is not their fault, they are a growing community. Though they graduated alot, trust me, they will be in the top of the league, NO DOUBT!
Old 10-26-12, 08:58 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
thewho, the differences between D-I and D-2 aren't necessarily that large.. and I'm pretty sure Louisville's on the lower end of D-1 for girls sports.
Old 10-27-12, 11:05 AM
All Region

I think Louisville has been about 20 girls over the D2 limit now for about 5 years now. I think in girls sports they are on a roll right now considering they have dominated softball for about 5 years in a row and won the most recent league titles in track, cross country, soccer and volleyball, as well as the last two NBC basketball titles. I think with all that success recently that their numbers and access to a larger talent pool especially depth, not to mention the talent of the the starters, is flexing its muscle right now. Think about it they have won the last six girls sports titles in the league in the major sports. On the flip side for Louisville, when they compete in the state tournament at D1 they are at a disadvantage because the numbers game is reversed.
However, I think you can look at it two ways. Most people want to complain about the excess of number of girls, but I say the girls athletic programs at Louisville are currently a barometer for the rest of the league and it is a case of everybody just has to work harder to close the gap in all sports.
Old 10-27-12, 11:29 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
thewho, the differences between D-I and D-2 aren't necessarily that large.. and I'm pretty sure Louisville's on the lower end of D-1 for girls sports.
Just went to OHSAA website and found the numbers for every school:

Number of girls in each school

Alliance 303
Canton South 242
Carrollton 298
Louisville 419
Marlington 290
Minerva 260
West Branch 283
Salem 249

The Cutoff for Division 1 in ohio for Girls Basketball is 359
Division 2- 206-358
Old 10-27-12, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

McCal where they heck you getting your stats!!!!!

I could tell by just attending games and the fact they were playing DI tourny it is more then 20 students. They almost doubled the smallest NBC school (south). Also higher number then all other NBC schools. Hm...
Old 10-27-12, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Just went to OHSAA website and found the numbers for every school:

Number of girls in each school

Alliance 303
Canton South 242
Carrollton 298
Louisville 419
Marlington 290
Minerva 260
West Branch 283
Salem 249

The Cutoff for Division 1 in ohio for Girls Basketball is 359
Division 2- 206-358
Here is a question, how far is Salem, South, and Minerva away from Div.III.

Also, thanks for bringing some facts to the table!
Old 10-27-12, 11:40 AM
All District

Quote:
Here is a question, how far is Salem, South, and Minerva away from Div.III.

Also, thanks for bringing some facts to the table!
Division III is 119-205

Its pretty interesting at looking at the different breakdowns for the other sports.
Old 10-27-12, 11:49 AM
All District

Quote:
McCal where they heck you getting your stats!!!!!

I could tell by just attending games and the fact they were playing DI tourny it is more then 20 students. They almost doubled the smallest NBC school (south). Also higher number then all other NBC schools. Hm...
Louisville at this time is in a strange position. They are huge for the NBC but if they would join the Federal League, which has an open spot in their league and would be the only league they could join, they would be in a spot that South, Salem and Minerva find themselves in

Just for discussion, here are the Federal league breakdown for girls

Boardman 591
GlenOak 695
Hoover 623
Jackson 709
Lake 436
Mckinley 680
Perry 568

Louisville has 419 Making it the smallest school with a difference of 290 girls compared to biggest school Jackson

Canton South has 242, which is 177 fewer than biggest school Louisville
Old 10-27-12, 04:41 PM
All Ohio

Wow... these numbers blow my mind. I mean seriously, think about it. Could you imagine having 177 more kids to chose from. Wow!!!! I am willing to bet you could find 10-15 nice extra players. I don't know... but to me, that is a heck of an advantage. I feel for a school like South, but I see Salem only has 7 more girls, and Minerva is not far off so I kind of feel for them. I just think it is a major difference. That is my opinion.

I saw Kasson put at one time that schools like South, and maybe Kasson mentioned another one that schools like South only have good years once in a long while (made a statement something of that nature). Well heck... now I see why if you are the smallest by far in your league!