Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 09-30-12, 11:49 AM
All American

warriors378 is on a distinguished road
Northeastern Buckeye Conference 2012-2013

As practices are less than a month away, and games less than two months away, I thought it might be a good idea to talk about all that's happened this off-season in the NBC.

As people may have heard, Hogan is now at Canton McKinley. Heard that's probably where she ended up, and after seeing the roster for the Midwest Girls Showcase and the Top 64 Showcase, I can tell you that it has her listed as her hometown as "Canton, OH", and her high school "Canton McKinley HS".

So, with Hogan out of the NBC, here's what the NBC looks like so far.

West Branch and Carrollton are the favorites to win the title this year. However, I am not counting out Louisville. They are the two time defending NBC champs, and until someone takes them off of that title, that's what they are. Marlington would be in contention, but without Hogan, I'm not really sure what to think of this team. Chambers may finally play beyond her expectations, with her being the so called "go-to" player offensively. Coach Rowe will get this team ready, and I feel they'll be okay. Minerva and Canton South were very young last year, and brings back a lot of talent and experience. Salem has a lot of seniors and lot of experience, and will be interesting to see how well they actually do this season after having a taste of what girl's basketball in the NBC is like. Alliance has a lot of work to do, and hopefully Coach Hood fits in there, and can FINALLY give that program some stability...

I think when it's all said and done, it will be the Warriors as the top 2 teams in the NBC. Just can't tell you which one will win it. Then, I feel that 3rd-7th in the NBC is as wide open as it's ever been...Here's my predictions for now:

1 Carrollton
1 West Branch
3 Marlington
4 Canton South
4 Louisville
6 Minerva
6 Salem
8 Alliance
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-12, 06:30 AM
Freshman

Orange89 is on a distinguished road
Well, it looks like you can move the Dukes down a few spots on that list. According to the Review, it looks like Marlington is going to lose Mallory Chambers. It's sad to see good athletes get into trouble like this.
Old 10-02-12, 08:13 PM
All Ohio

thewho is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange89 View Post
Well, it looks like you can move the Dukes down a few spots on that list. According to the Review, it looks like Marlington is going to lose Mallory Chambers. It's sad to see good athletes get into trouble like this.
Wait a minute... good friend of mine's daughter is on that team. This is the first I heard of this. What Happened?
Old 10-02-12, 08:27 PM
Freshman

Orange89 is on a distinguished road
Big trouble, first court appearance tomorrow. You can read the details on cantonrep.com without having a subscription. Just a sad situation
Old 10-02-12, 08:40 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange89 View Post
Big trouble, first court appearance tomorrow. You can read the details on cantonrep.com without having a subscription. Just a sad situation
OK... went to both websites, searched local stories and put her name in. Nothing came up. You share it is that serious? If nothing comes up, I question how serious it is. And, with her being a juvenile, whatever it is, and if it didn't happen at school, I am sure they won't throw the book at her.
Old 10-02-12, 08:51 PM
All Ohio

OK... hold the phone... just saw the charge. I will say this, it appears to be a harsh charge. However, does this young lady have a criminal history? Is this her first time offense? Though the charge is severe, there have been right ups in the Canon Rep. that judges are only locking up Violent Offenders. Unless Marlington imposes a harsh consequence, I don't think the court system will. I will be shocked if she gets more then a month. Only thing I can think is that it will make her ineligible. I feel bad for this young lady, I am glad she, and no one was hurt.
Old 10-05-12, 08:47 AM
All American

Well, given the Marlington situation, I would say this is how I got it for now:

1 Carrollton
1 West Branch
3 Canton South
3 Louisville
5 Marlington
5 Minerva
5 Salem
8 Alliance
Old 10-05-12, 07:51 PM
All Ohio

Has any new news came from this player from Marlington???

If she is not playing, I have it as follows:

1. WB (seen them last season. like what I saw, definitely have a home court advantage, and they had two strong freshman if I remember correctly)
2. Carrollton (never seen them play, no nothing about them, but based on what is said on this website, gotta at least go #2. Hopefully I see them this year)
3. Louisville (I know they lost alot, but they are a Div. 1 program. They have more girls then any school in the NBC and I believe 2-3 girls that played some last year. I think they still find a way up to 3. Again... more to choose from then others)
4. Minerva (Did not see them play, but I know they didn't start one sr. last year and won about 7-8 games. I would think that # would move to 11-12 games)
5. C. South (Saw them a few times. Young is still what comes to mind. I know this summer I was told they were starting 2 soph with alot of Jrs. I think they have 1-2 srs. South is a school I am curious about. I still think they may be a year away but I think they could be a 8-10 win team).
6. Marlingon (Saw them last year. If Chambers is playing, I have them ahead of South, and Maybe Minerva. Losing two stars will be tough to rebound as well as having a new coach probably with a new system).
7. Salem (Saw them once... they had a good JV team with some decent guards. They had some tall girls. Slow... but OK. I am curious to see what they do in the league).
8. Alliance ( Saw them once... I hope they can pull off 2-3 wins. It will be tough, but I think they will be better, or at least I hope)

That is my opinion... Looking forward to hoops this year boys and girls!
Old 10-07-12, 08:39 PM
All Region

Kasson is on a distinguished road
1.West Branch
2.Carrollton
3.Louisville
4.Minerva
5.Salem
6.Canton South
7.Marlington
8.Alliance

Last edited by Kasson; 10-21-12 at 10:15 PM..
Old 10-08-12, 11:16 AM
All Ohio

Touchpass
The middle of the pack is less clear than in past years. I see a good battle for the top spot possibly involving 1 thru 4.

1-West Branch
2-Carrollton
3-Louisville
4-Minerva
5-Canton South
6-Marlington
7-Salem
8-Alliance
Old 10-08-12, 04:32 PM
All Ohio

Question?

With girls playing at the end of November, has any schedules been posted for the NBC, Pac 7, Independant, and FL girls and boys? I asked this question last year and someone led me to a website, but I can't remember.

I am also curious on out of league schedules as well, and I am ready to get my winter calendar ready for some good hoops!
Old 10-08-12, 06:31 PM
All Region

Try MaxPreps.com & select Ohio & whatever division or gender you are looking for.

Last edited by Kasson; 10-08-12 at 06:45 PM..
Old 10-08-12, 07:13 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasson View Post
Try MaxPreps.com & select Ohio & whatever division or gender you are looking for.
Thanks... I appreciate that. Will check it out.
Old 10-08-12, 07:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasson View Post
You were right on... I put in three schools and it had their 2012-13 season. Thanks Again!
Old 10-10-12, 12:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewho View Post
You were right on... I put in three schools and it had their 2012-13 season. Thanks Again!
Make sure it's their full schedule...some only have a portion of their schedule out for now...

I would try schedulestar, ohsaa school directory(schedules posted on there), maxpreps, and highschoolsports.net to "puzzle" together each school's schedule. Most of them you can put together easily, and some not so much. Just a matter of which school(s) you're looking for... Let me know in a PM if you need any help with any particular school...may already have it for you...
Old 10-10-12, 05:37 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
As practices are less than a month away, and games less than two months away, I thought it might be a good idea to talk about all that's happened this off-season in the NBC.

As people may have heard, Hogan is now at Canton McKinley. Heard that's probably where she ended up, and after seeing the roster for the Midwest Girls Showcase and the Top 64 Showcase, I can tell you that it has her listed as her hometown as "Canton, OH", and her high school "Canton McKinley HS".

So, with Hogan out of the NBC, here's what the NBC looks like so far.

West Branch and Carrollton are the favorites to win the title this year. However, I am not counting out Louisville. They are the two time defending NBC champs, and until someone takes them off of that title, that's what they are. Marlington would be in contention, but without Hogan, I'm not really sure what to think of this team. Chambers may finally play beyond her expectations, with her being the so called "go-to" player offensively. Coach Rowe will get this team ready, and I feel they'll be okay. Minerva and Canton South were very young last year, and brings back a lot of talent and experience. Salem has a lot of seniors and lot of experience, and will be interesting to see how well they actually do this season after having a taste of what girl's basketball in the NBC is like. Alliance has a lot of work to do, and hopefully Coach Hood fits in there, and can FINALLY give that program some stability...

I think when it's all said and done, it will be the Warriors as the top 2 teams in the NBC. Just can't tell you which one will win it. Then, I feel that 3rd-7th in the NBC is as wide open as it's ever been...Here's my predictions for now:

1 Carrollton
1 West Branch
3 Marlington
4 Canton South
4 Louisville
6 Minerva
6 Salem
8 Alliance
Finally stability!!! Alliance had stability after reading you post in the football forum you lost all credibility.
Old 10-11-12, 05:02 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocolatecity View Post
Finally stability!!! Alliance had stability after reading you post in the football forum you lost all credibility.
Yeah, because girl's basketball has everything to do with football . If you want to still talk about football, go there or send me a PM. Alliance girl's basketball is different. How many different coaches have they had in the past 4-5 seasons? That's IMHO, the number one key to stability. To have familiarity at the top levels, and trickle their philosophies and tendencies down to the lower levels...

Might want to double check the forum you're on. Alliance girl's basketball and Alliance boy's basketball programs are polar opposites of each other right now...
Old 10-12-12, 12:19 PM
All American

chocolatecity is on a distinguished road
The word is FINALLY, like the program had NO stability...thats what I'm talking about...and as far as STABILITY now ...we will see..
Old 10-12-12, 07:02 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
The word is FINALLY, like the program had NO stability...thats what I'm talking about...and as far as STABILITY now ...we will see..
Question for NBC fans?

Anything new on the player from Marlington who got in trouble with the law and is 18 years of age (not a child)?

Anything this year with Alliance? Meaning... any new players, etc.. Will they still have the big girl at post who was ineligible last year towards the end of the season?

Any key players in the NBC to watch?

From the games I saw last year, I remember the following players that impressed me:

Chambers- if she plays, from Marlington
2 Fr. - from WB. I was very impressed with the two of them last year at the varsity level
Martin/Uzinsky (something like that)- younger girls from C. South
Salem had a nice post who I think was a Jr.

Again. Curious on any players to watch out for?
Old 10-15-12, 07:02 PM
All District

gym rat
The question in Louisville is not about what they have back (they have two solid forwards) it is who will occupy the guard positions and do they have enough depth? They have won 3-4 in a row, won the JV and Junior High league titles so they are the team to beat.

1. Louisville- lots of pressure to repeat.
2. West Branch- solid returning players and depth.
3. Carrollton- gritty competitor in Lowdermilk has them in the hunt.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Canton South- young but talented, long season takes its toll
5. Minerva- play with lots of ball movement and long possessions
6. Marlington- too much instability in players and staff to string together victories
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
7. Salem - Some talented players but seem to get themselves behind and lose confidence
8. Alliance- not ready to climb the ladder yet... but they will be improving in the future
Old 10-17-12, 05:52 AM
All American

Quote:
you answered it for me...The program for the past few years, HAD no stability. Look at last year for example. Arguably, Alliance's best player was ineligible for the last part of the season. That doesn't seem stable to me. And many other things go along with it as well.
Old 10-17-12, 05:18 PM
All District

jovs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
OK... hold the phone... just saw the charge. I will say this, it appears to be a harsh charge. However, does this young lady have a criminal history? Is this her first time offense? Though the charge is severe, there have been right ups in the Canon Rep. that judges are only locking up Violent Offenders. Unless Marlington imposes a harsh consequence, I don't think the court system will. I will be shocked if she gets more then a month. Only thing I can think is that it will make her ineligible. I feel bad for this young lady, I am glad she, and no one was hurt.
The news is not good for the young lady from Marlington . I can not imagine her playing this year. She has to do community service on Saturdays (the next 10) and will have to do some time over the holiday break. The AD has said she will not be ineligible to play. It is a sad story and a big price to pay for one night out and a moment of poor judgement
Old 10-17-12, 06:43 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jovs View Post
The news is not good for the young lady from Marlington . I can not imagine her playing this year. She has to do community service on Saturdays (the next 10) and will have to do some time over the holiday break. The AD has said she will not be ineligible to play. It is a sad story and a big price to pay for one night out and a moment of poor judgement
If he is saying she is not ineligible. I think she plays other then those times she is in jail. My opinion.
Old 10-17-12, 07:05 PM
All District

jovs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
If he is saying she is not ineligible. I think she plays other then those times she is in jail. My opinion.
ooops my fault he said she will be ineligible
Old 10-17-12, 08:52 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Basketball is secondary, she should be happy she's not spending more time locked up. It's a terrible way to lose your season, but poor choices bring big consequences.
Old 10-21-12, 11:58 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCGal View Post
Basketball is secondary, she should be happy she's not spending more time locked up. It's a terrible way to lose your season, but poor choices bring big consequences.
Agree...

I said when Hogan left they would still win 12 games and finish around 4th. Now that they have lost their second best player, I am going to go out on a limb and say they win 8-9 games. Call me nuts, but I would say 4-5 teams in the NBC can be placed anywhere on a prediction board. Teams they will not beat is WB and Carrollton. I think Louisville, Minerva, and South will give them issues. Salem and Alliance are still 4 games they could win. Out of league may be tough... I believe they play a few FL teams which I doubt they win. Either way, I feel they will compete, and I will be there to see them a few games.

As for the young lady, I hope this is a life lesson and the only time we read about you in this capacity. I wish her the best of luck, and I hope in her home and school she has a positive support to get her through this! She is young, made a mistake, learn from it, and go forward with your life young lady!
Old 10-21-12, 12:00 PM
All Ohio

Continuing from my last post, though I put Salem and Alliance in the same category, they may not be so... I got to see both teams last year. I think Salem has some size, and had a good JV team of guards. Put those young guards with the posts with the Size, they may be better then what I, and others give them credit for.
Old 10-21-12, 05:37 PM
All Region

thewho -- ok I'll call you nuts. If Marlington has now lost the player mentioned that's 3 starters gone from last year's team and I don't see them winning 8 or 9 games or really even being competitive for that matter. The Marlington JV squad lost 55-2 to Louisville last year in a game so doubt there is much depth to provide the varsity with much help. Also, there is no way you compare a tradition rich Salem program with Alliance. Salem will be improved this season and as has been mentioned Alliance has a long way to go to even be competitive.
Old 10-21-12, 06:00 PM
All Ohio

Well... they return a 2nd team all NBC player and an Honorable mention as well as 2-3 girls who played significant amounts off a 16-4 team. Yes... JV was not good, that I know!!! If they can get 1-2 girls to improve and role minutes, that is all they will need for this season.

With that said, I could see them possibly winning the following:

Alliance 2X
Salem 1 X
Windham
Fairless
CVCA
Boardman (heard they are bad...)
Massillon (lost everyone and will be young)

If by chance, they win this amount of games, that would put them at 8. Say they don't win those games mentioned, I still think they could possibly beat South and Salem twice from what I saw last year.

And as for Salem, I will not comment like I know alot about them because I don't. What you know of tradition, I know of a team that went 4-17 last year and was bigger then any team I seen in the NBC with a senior or two starter!
Old 10-21-12, 09:25 PM
All Yappi

MCGal
Send a message via AIM to MCGal
Not going to go into the rest of your post (other than I agree with Kasson, gotta call you nuts on this one lol) but a couple thoughts:

1) Louisville will still be solid and have a then junior/now senior class who's out to prove they are 'as good' as last year's seniors. Just my guess after some of the competitive issues last year on the team.

2) Massillon did not lose 'everyone'. Far from it. Young? Yes they'll be playing a couple good young guards. They just won't have size. Also have the twins from McK over there now (guards that are seniors).