Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Notices

Old 09-29-12, 01:31 AM
All American

wwwfan is on a distinguished road
Article: Winton Woods Defeats Jonathan Alder

The Winton Woods Warriors made the trip to Plain City Friday night to take on the Pioneers of Jonathan Alder. After a lackluster first quarter, Winton Woods started the scoring off with 10 minutes left in the first half. Shemar Hooks, the Winton Woods quarterback, ran the ball in from nine yards out. After the extra point, the Warriors led 7-0. Alder scored with 7 minutes left after 3 penalties extended drives that put the Pioneers in scoring position - with Mason Will taking it in from 3 yards out. With about a minute remaining before halftime, Alder scored on a 60 yard pass play and went up 14-7 at intermission. That's all the scoring Alder would see as Winton Woods pulled within one in the 3rd quarter on a 44 yard run by Nick Grissom. Then the Warrior defense took over blocking a punt for a TD and forcing a fumble and an interception that the Winton Woods offense turned into touchdowns as well. Winton Woods defense had 3 sacks on the night.

Last edited by wwwfan; 09-29-12 at 11:11 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-12, 08:58 PM
All Ohio

Big51 is on a distinguished road
Seems we have become the latest casualty of the injury bug. Hopefully we can weather the storm.
Old 09-30-12, 04:28 PM
All Ohio

mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big51 View Post
Seems we have become the latest casualty of the injury bug. Hopefully we can weather the storm.
The QB position is a big concern. The drop off is very noticeable.
Old 09-30-12, 06:45 PM
All World

warriorblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimp06 View Post
The QB position is a big concern. The drop off is very noticeable.
Actually, the backup looked much better this week. He came in the while the game was on the line and played well.
Old 09-30-12, 08:17 PM
All Ohio

mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
Actually, the backup looked much better this week. He came in the while the game was on the line and played well.
I just watched the game again on TV and I'll say he looked alot better then the week before, and the game experience will only make him better. Shouldn't the guard who was hurt during the summer be coming back soon?
Old 09-30-12, 08:54 PM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just watched the game again on TV and I'll say he looked alot better then the week before, and the game experience will only make him better. Shouldn't the guard who was hurt during the summer be coming back soon?
You would think. He been out 7 to 8 weeks. Don't know what kind of football shape he will be in. Man we are tired and hurting. Another bad side effect of this schedule I love so much. It's been weekly physical wars all the way back to summer scrimmages. And to be D2 and going against GCL, GMC and GWOC schools and not to forget Thurgood is taking a physical toll I didn't expect. Luckily we have good depth in a lot of positions maybe except the one we are all concerned about and the oline. It's going to be tough but I think we can still get Loveland with superior defense and special teams play. And some players on defense may see some time on offense this week.
Old 09-30-12, 10:23 PM
All American

Quote:
I think he's got a few more weeks before he's back.
Old 09-30-12, 10:35 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwfan View Post
A few more weeks? It's only 4 weeks left in the regular season and we look like a M.A.S.H. unit.
Old 10-01-12, 07:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
A few more weeks? It's only 4 weeks left in the regular season and we look like a M.A.S.H. unit.
I could be wrong. We need to somehow string a few wins together with what we've got, sneak into the playoffs and maybe everyone will be healthy enough to make a run.
Old 10-01-12, 07:35 AM
All Yappi

CaRdsForLife is on a distinguished road
What was the final score?
Old 10-01-12, 08:19 AM
All World

warriorblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRdsForLife View Post
What was the final score?
35 to 14. It wasn't easy. WW was very sluggish (I guess from the ride up) anyway Alder was playing with alot of confidence after leading at halftime 14 to 7. The Defense played very, very, good in the second half and allowed WW offense to score on a short field.
Old 10-01-12, 08:20 AM
All World

warriorblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwwfan View Post
He is waiting for the Dr. to clear him. Maybe this week.
Old 10-01-12, 08:23 AM
All World

warriorblue
WW is truly BANGED up but the recent rash of injuries don't seem to be very serious as once believed initially.
Old 10-01-12, 08:32 AM
All Yappi

I hope they arent to banged up. How does the rest of the schedule look? Can they afford to have these players out and still finish 9-1? I'd love to see them bring home the D2 title this year.
Old 10-01-12, 10:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorblue View Post
WW is truly BANGED up but the recent rash of injuries don't seem to be very serious as once believed initially.
That's good to hear. Regardless the Warriors are going to have to rely even more on the defense. The starting defense gave up 0 points in the second half of all 4 games played in September. And rely more on the special teams, Robbie Lewis placekicking and punting. Edwards, Grissom and Jetter on punt/kickoff returns. And the Warriors have already blocked 3 opponents punts this season. If we can stop getting behind early, we should be ok against Loveland.
Old 10-01-12, 10:29 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
I hope they arent to banged up. How does the rest of the schedule look? Can they afford to have these players out and still finish 9-1? I'd love to see them bring home the D2 title this year.
We stilll have to play a one loss Loveland team this friday. Elder next week in "The Pit" and a surging Anderson squad week 9. It will be tough sledding but I think if the coaches are smart managing these injuries we'll be ok. We should get in now (barring a total collapse). If we get in with all guns blazing there will be hell to pay in region 8!
Old 10-01-12, 11:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big51 View Post
We stilll have to play a one loss Loveland team this friday. Elder next week in "The Pit" and a surging Anderson squad week 9. It will be tough sledding but I think if the coaches are smart managing these injuries we'll be ok. We should get in now (barring a total collapse). If we get in with all guns blazing there will be hell to pay in region 8!
Loveland just lost to Anderson this past weekend 28-21. I see wins coming against Loveland, Anderson and Glen Este with the Elder game being a toss up. WW sure isnt shying away from playing D1 schools this year! I didnt know there was 6 on your schedule.
Old 10-01-12, 12:24 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
That's good to hear. Regardless the Warriors are going to have to rely even more on the defense. The starting defense gave up 0 points in the second half of all 4 games played in September. And rely more on the special teams, Robbie Lewis placekicking and punting. Edwards, Grissom and Jetter on punt/kickoff returns. And the Warriors have already blocked 3 opponents punts this season. If we can stop getting behind early, we should be ok against Loveland.
I agree with you. Defense is strong this year, and special teams are as well. On kickoffs, with the exception of one run back for a td, most all of our opponents start at or inside the 20 yard line. A lot of touchbacks this year - really lengthens the field and I think has helped our defense - especially since we've been falling behind early. It's hard for a team to go up against our "D" and constantly have to cover 80 yards to score. Punts have been good as well. I think there were three inside the 20 last week alone and at least one inside the 5. Coverage has been excellent on most of these as well. WW has got to use what's available to them - which is a lot - even if we are banged up a little.
Old 10-01-12, 12:51 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Loveland just lost to Anderson this past weekend 28-21. I see wins coming against Loveland, Anderson and Glen Este with the Elder game being a toss up. WW sure isnt shying away from playing D1 schools this year! I didnt know there was 6 on your schedule.
I hope youre right about those wins. I would predict blow outs in two of those last four games if not for the injuries. WW never runs away from a game against a good D-1. Sometimes I think it works to our detriment. Any ways.....I know the game a lot of WW fans have been clammering for the last few years is a WW vs Colerain series! I heard from some friends on your side(Colerain) that WW turned it down in 2010. I think the idea should be revisited!
Old 10-01-12, 01:08 PM
All World

warriorblue
Quote:
Loveland just lost to Anderson this past weekend 28-21. I see wins coming against Loveland, Anderson and Glen Este with the Elder game being a toss up. [B]WW sure isnt shying away from playing D1 schools this year! I didnt know there was 6 on your schedule.
[/

The schedule is normal for WW. Look in years past.
Old 10-03-12, 11:37 PM
All District

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Anyone who makes the claim that WW has played or now plays a weak schedule is a biased hack. It is clear WW is fearless in the scheduling department.