Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Old 09-25-12, 12:02 PM
All Ohio

Week 6: Minerva (2-3) vs West Branch (2-3)

Well, to be completely honest I never would've expected both of these programs to have 3 losses coming into week 6. West Branch played the toughest OOC schedule in the league and beat a much improved Carrollton team last week. They should have some momentum coming into this game.

Minerva is a team who seemingly enjoys beating themselves. They have now lost two games in which they outgained their opponent in every statistical offensive category. Is this the point when the Lions start putting it together? I still have yet to see this Lions team play a complete game, but we all feel they are capable of playing good football.

There is still a lot to play for in the NBC and these are two teams who have played some pretty good ones over the years. I'm hoping for a good atmosphere in Minerva on Friday.

Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-12, 01:35 PM
Varsity

Well I've made it clear as to what I think Minerva needs to address to become succesful, having said that I think this could be a very good game. West Branch loves the power run, which could help Minerva if their defense can make them grind it out and make their scoring a slow process. Minerva has moved the ball great on each team, so there is a better chance of them scoring faster (if the defense doesnt give up huge plays) than Branch. However I think a good run defense and a solution to the red zone issue will be the determining factor for the Lions brining home this win.
Old 09-25-12, 05:31 PM
All Ohio

This should be a great game! I am looking forward to making the trip down 183 on Friday. I think that wb needs to contain Riley Friday night or it could be another high scoring affair for the warriors. Our defense looked better last week but will have to keep up the intensity against a hungry minerva team.

What kind of offense does minerva run with Riley? How is your kicking game?
Old 09-25-12, 05:44 PM
All American

Historically this has been one of my favorite matchups to see. I've seen some great games between these two schools over the past years. Two of my all-time favorites include the 1991 Minerva upset and the 1998 West Branch upset.

It's really hard to project games between these two Jekyl and Hyde teams this season. Best of luck to both teams in their pursuit of the NBC title as they still have matchup with Marlington in weeks to come.
Old 09-25-12, 07:40 PM
All District

This NBC season could get super interesting and come down to game 10. If Minerva and Carrollton win this week, which I think could happen, there will be a group of teams tied for first place with 4 games left. Every week from there out will be war.

I agree with what has been said, If Minerva can put a complete game they will be tough to beat. However, WB was only 0-3 because of a super tough non league schedule. They won a heck of the defensive battle with Carrollton last week. Defense was an early concern for the warriors I had heard.

Have to go with the home town team- Lions win by 10.
Old 09-25-12, 09:42 PM
All Region

Really? Are you actually being serious, or are you just joking?

Minerva and West Branch aren't even in the conversation at this point. THEY HAVE LOST three games out of five! At least be honest about what your team's realistic expectations can be.

It's Marlington's conference to lose (and I don't see it happening), and it's Louisville a CLEAR second to anyone else in the league.

Before the season, Minerva and WB posters were touting that it was Minerva/WB/Louisville as the contenders. When anyone questioned that (including me), you indicated that Marlington hadn't proven themselves over time, and they were a flash in the pan. And no, I will not go back and find the posts that said those exact things.

Anything can happen in league play, but to think that either of these teams can beat Marlington is a pipe dream at this point.

The numbers (2-3 for both) don't lie.
Old 09-26-12, 04:11 AM
All American

NC,
I'm one Warrior poster that didn't predict WB to win the league. Actually I had them at 5-5. But that is why they play the games. WB was terrible last year but still managed to beat Louisville, lose Marlington by 1 or 2 I believe and had Minerva guessing for a huge portion of the game. I'm not saying West Branch is gonna win the league or should win out. This is the NBC. Anyone can win on any given night. The league has a lot of parity this year. The title is still up for grabs. Little early to be handing the Dukes and Leopards first and second place.
Old 09-26-12, 06:11 AM
All Ohio

If Marlington & Louisville end up 1st & 2nd, good for them. BUT they will have to earn it. Neither is that much better than the rest of the league. I'm sure both Coach Miley and Coach DeMarco would be the first to say so( and not just to be politically correct ).

Marlington could easily have 2 losses, but they won those games and now they're #1 in the state! By the way, congrats to the Dukes!!

Good luck to all teams this Friday, may the teams who earn the win....get the win.
Old 09-26-12, 07:00 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Res View Post
Really? Are you actually being serious, or are you just joking?

Minerva and West Branch aren't even in the conversation at this point. THEY HAVE LOST three games out of five! At least be honest about what your team's realistic expectations can be.

It's Marlington's conference to lose (and I don't see it happening), and it's Louisville a CLEAR second to anyone else in the league.

Before the season, Minerva and WB posters were touting that it was Minerva/WB/Louisville as the contenders. When anyone questioned that (including me), you indicated that Marlington hadn't proven themselves over time, and they were a flash in the pan. And no, I will not go back and find the posts that said those exact things.

Anything can happen in league play, but to think that either of these teams can beat Marlington is a pipe dream at this point.

The numbers (2-3 for both) don't lie.
You don't need the posts because I will reaffirm exactly what I said at the beginning of the season. Minerva is very young but has some nice talent to build around over the next couple years. WB returned a strong nucleus of players from a team that beat Louisville and nearly beat Marlington the previous year. The league, as expected, is down this year and I simply predicted that Minerva, WB, and Louisville were the contenders. I expected Marlington to be good but also questioned some posters who claimed they could win the league with Dymonte and Dymonte alone. I then asked whether Marlington could continue its winning ways, because consistency has been a problem with the Dukes' program in the past. This seemed to stroke an emotional cord amongst some Marlington posters who felt that I was insulting their team/program. At the same time, no one, including you explained to me why Marlington should be picked at the top of the season except for (Dymonte is good; Ed Miley is a good coach, etc..).

I will reiterate, the league is down this year and I fully expected this to be the case. I never predicted Minerva to eclipse 8 wins and, in fact, predicted they would finish between 5-5 and 8-2. In this rationale, I questioned other posters who believed that Marlington would run the table; simply too many question marks. Most of the other posters also predicted that the league winner could have 2 league losses (and 1-2 non conference losses) and we could have a tie for the NBC title for the first time in years. The basis for your predictions, at the time, were every bit as grounded AND flawed as mine.

My question to you sir is this: How many NBC teams have you actually seen play this year? Do you simply peruse the NBC threads and read the Repository articles on Saturday following the games? The reason I ask is this, we are 2 games into NBC play and there are a lot of games left to play. I am of the opinion that Minerva and WB are fully capable of winning the remaining games on their schedules.

I generally try to keep things positive. I call things how I see them and try to be logical/analytical in assessing where the team/program is at. If the purpose of your post is to remind us of the fantastic season Marlington is having at this point, more power to you. However, to be honest I don't think there is any justification for your post, stick to the other NBC thread.
Old 09-26-12, 08:46 AM
All Region

NC Res, Whatever. Maybe, maybe not. Marlington with all their D1 talent was supposed to destroy a way below average WB team last year too remember?. It took a last minute comeback to squeak out of Beloit with a 1 point win. I think The Dukes are the team to beat but they are beatable. I also don't think they would be undefeated with WB's schedule this year. Nobody knows how good any of these teams are yet. The Dukes biggest win so far has been St Thomas. St Thomas doesn't have a team on it's entire schedule with a record better than 2-3 at this point other than the Dukes. Not making excuses but WB's stud rb Wells couldn't play offense the first 3 games, I wonder how the Dukes would have fared without Thomas in the backfield til week 4.

Last edited by guyfrombeloit; 09-26-12 at 01:04 PM..
Old 09-26-12, 07:34 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrombeloit View Post
NC Res, Whatever. Maybe, maybe not. Marlington with all their D1 talent was supposed to destroy a way below average WB team last year too remember?. It took a last minute comeback to squeak out of Beloit with a 1 point win. I think The Dukes are the team to beat but they are beatable. I also don't think they would be undefeated with WB's schedule this year. Nobody knows how good any of these teams are yet. The Dukes biggest win so far has been St Thomas. St Thomas doesn't have a team on it's entire schedule with a record better than 2-3 at this point other than the Dukes. Not making excuses but WB's stud rb Wells couldn't play offense the first 3 games, I wonder how the Dukes would have fared without Thomas in the backfield til week 4.

Couldn't of said it better myself!!
Ditto on mavericks post as well!
Old 09-26-12, 07:39 PM
All Yappi

Good luck to the Warriors and Coach Dota
Old 09-27-12, 12:06 AM
All American

Those AP voters don't have a clue putting Marlington at number one. Yea I know they vote on records. But there are 5 or 6 teams in that poll that would beat them
Mooney and STVSM are two and Alter. Good thing we have the computers
Old 09-27-12, 07:44 AM
All Ohio

I'd sure like to see Minerva, WB, and possibly Carrollton pick up a few wins (i.e. over Louisville and/or Marlington) in the coming weeks to make this race interesting. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

People used to say that "you can never count out a Minerva kid on a Friday night." Hopefully the Lions can start to get some of that program swagger back, WB in the Lions Den could be a good place to start. This Minerva/WB game seems a challenging one to gauge. I know WB will try to establish control in the ground game with their big offensive line. I know Minerva will likely try to do the same, while also stretching the field vertically & horizontally with the pass. Minerva has been able to move the ball on everyone this year and I don't see that changing on Friday. Up until last week WB had trouble stopping the run; this could play into the Lions' favor. I'm calling a close game in this one and both teams will be playing with a chip on their shoulder. However, I give the edge to Minerva being that the game is in Minerva.
Old 09-27-12, 08:17 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORS_94 View Post
Those AP voters don't have a clue putting Marlington at number one. Yea I know they vote on records. But there are 5 or 6 teams in that poll that would beat them
Mooney and STVSM are two and Alter. Good thing we have the computers
More like twenty
Old 09-27-12, 09:13 AM
All Region

I hate playing in Minerva !!!!
A lot of home cooking down there IMO.
Old 09-27-12, 09:27 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriordad View Post
I hate playing in Minerva !!!!
A lot of home cooking down there IMO.
I've never been to a game in Minerva(I am going tomorrow), so I can't really compare it, but it's hard to believe that there's more home cooking there than in Carrollton..

Anyways, what's the parking like for tomorrow? Do you park at the high school? Or is there other places to park?
Old 09-27-12, 09:50 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
I've never been to a game in Minerva(I am going tomorrow), so I can't really compare it, but it's hard to believe that there's more home cooking there than in Carrollton..

Anyways, what's the parking like for tomorrow? Do you park at the high school? Or is there other places to park?
"Home Cookin"? Are you seriously kidding me? No offense but that's a tough one to swallow coming from residents of Sebring/Beloit (I still don't know the difference between Beloit & Sebring btw).

Hines Stadium is a very nice venue and seats 4,000; plenty of parking in and around the stadium as well. You can either park in the large high school lot off of Almeda, Brock Park near the swimming pool, or on the east end of the stadium in Fry Allotment. There is plenty of parking and it's easy to get in and out.
Old 09-27-12, 10:00 AM
All Ohio

I sometimes have a hard time with the home cooking claims. All league games are assigned by the league. It isn't like the home teams slip each ref an extra $50 or something. As far as WB & Carr game the only call that might be questioned would have been the halo call on the punt. Thats a bang,bang play and a judgement call, but the player still must have room to catch the ball.
The others were no brainers( facemask, late hit out of bounds). They did miss a facemask on Carr after Wells picked up the final needed 1st down for WB, but it was game over at that point.

I believe certain refs may have "agendas" with certain schools, But home teams have no say which crews have what games. I think it's as easy to get screwed at home as it is on the road. Most of the time it's all in the eye of the beholder.

PS I'm in NO WAY defending the stripes. We all make mistakes, usually it's their "holier than thou attitude" that gets my goat. But, I'm sure they're not crazy about me either!!
Old 09-27-12, 10:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick0425 View Post
"Home Cookin"? Are you seriously kidding me? No offense but that's a tough one to swallow coming from residents of Sebring/Beloit (I still don't know the difference between Beloit & Sebring btw).

Hines Stadium is a very nice venue and seats 4,000; plenty of parking in and around the stadium as well. You can either park in the large high school lot off of Almeda, Brock Park near the swimming pool, or on the east end of the stadium in Fry Allotment. There is plenty of parking and it's easy to get in and out.
I'm just referring to what was mentioned a couple posts ahead of me...i don't agree with "home cookin", but if there is such a thing, than that's how i feel...

thanks for the parking. Just wasn't sure how much there was...
Old 09-27-12, 10:35 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
I sometimes have a hard time with the home cooking claims. All league games are assigned by the league. It isn't like the home teams slip each ref an extra $50 or something. As far as WB & Carr game the only call that might be questioned would have been the halo call on the punt. Thats a bang,bang play and a judgement call, but the player still must have room to catch the ball.
The others were no brainers( facemask, late hit out of bounds). They did miss a facemask on Carr after Wells picked up the final needed 1st down for WB, but it was game over at that point.

I believe certain refs may have "agendas" with certain schools, But home teams have no say which crews have what games. I think it's as easy to get screwed at home as it is on the road. Most of the time it's all in the eye of the beholder.

PS I'm in NO WAY defending the stripes. We all make mistakes, usually it's their "holier than thou attitude" that gets my goat. But, I'm sure they're not crazy about me either!!
I agree with you about the whole "home cookin"/"agenda" part of your post. However, there was some questionable calls last friday on both sides in my opinion. The late hit out of bounds near the carrollton sideline was not a late hit out of bounds....he was wrapping him up in bounds, and then rolled out of bounds...now on the next play or two, Dietz(i think) went out of bounds on the WB sideline, and THAT was more out of bounds late hit that didn't get called... There was some phantom calls i felt...both ways...just saying, that i've heard a lot of things in all sports on why Carrollton is called the black hole. From basketball to football to even soccer...that's why i mentioned it...

Also, about the punt. Yes, the player still needs room to catch the ball, but the WB player couldn't get out of the way because they were pushed into the Carrollton player...
Old 09-27-12, 10:50 AM
All Region

Don't mind going to Minerva at all. Pretty short drive and ample seating. Been down there for a lot of games.Good people with tough football players. Golfed in the area a million times too so it's a familiar ,comfortable place to visit. We go down to the Normandy Inn and get a steak now and then ,it's pretty good. I usually park on the street and take a short walk to stadium. It's not too bad at all getting out of town going east.
Old 09-27-12, 11:34 AM
All Ohio

guyfrombeloit:
The Normandy has very good fish and burgers too, you should give them a try if you haven't already.

And about the "home cookin," it's all in good fun. I'm sure fans from every team in the league have stories from experiences in opposing stadiums over the years. Being a Minerva guy, I found some humor in the "black hole" comment regarding Carrollton. I'll tell ya, I played at the Fairgrounds and that qualifies as Black Hole status. Their new stadium is very, very nice however.
Old 09-27-12, 11:43 AM
All Ohio

378, I think we're on the same page basically. Calls go both ways in nearly every game thats ever been played. But saying that you get the shaft just because you're traveling to Carrollton(regardless of sport) leads me to believe that you might be hunting for an excuse just in case you get beat. I've read your posts for some time now and I can't help but get the feeling you think WB should never lose to Carrollton. Maybe its because its a long ride or maybe its our county is somehow inferior, but we're used to that (we get that from everybody). But if you think its because our athletes are not as good as yours, then you are mistaken. In football the last 10 years or so, we have easily been your equal. Boys BB, lately, hasn't even been close as to who has the most wins. Your girls BB & wrestling has been superior. I guess my point is we both win some, we both lose some. Give the other team at least some credit when they win.
Old 09-27-12, 12:10 PM
All Region

dig it, I can guarantee you this, every fan in the NBC not wearing orange will be rooting for Carrollton this week.
Old 09-27-12, 12:41 PM
All Ohio

gfb, thanks and i somewhat apologize to 378. Carrollton just always seems to have a hell of a time getting much respect and a lot of times we don't deserve any. But this year we're good enough to garner our share. I finally decided to speak my mind and stand up for not only the Warriors, but the NBC in general.
I've got to admit though, I truly enjoy beating Louisville. It feels like the times in life when you got to kick the crap out of your older bully brother!!
Old 09-27-12, 01:39 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dig it View Post
gfb, thanks and i somewhat apologize to 378. Carrollton just always seems to have a hell of a time getting much respect and a lot of times we don't deserve any. But this year we're good enough to garner our share. I finally decided to speak my mind and stand up for not only the Warriors, but the NBC in general.
I've got to admit though, I truly enjoy beating Louisville. It feels like the times in life when you got to kick the crap out of your older bully brother!!
Lol I also feel the same way about Louisville!!

Not to defend warriors378 ( I don't always agree with him either) but I believe he said Carrollton was his pick to win the NBC next year.. Sounds like some props to me... Good luck to your warriors Friday! Hoping for 2 warriors wins on Friday night!
Old 09-27-12, 03:28 PM
All Ohio

1wbw, you are right, he did give us some props. Thank you for the correction.
Good luck against the Lions. If you play as solid as last week, I would like your chances. Truly believe both WB & Carrollton have much better games in them, but when two evenly matched teams play, neither is going to look great.

Stay healthy, but deep down I have to be pulling for the Lions. I'm sure you understand.
Old 09-27-12, 04:43 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriors378 View Post
However, there was some questionable calls last friday on both sides in my opinion.
Heard the OHSAA refs just ended their lock out lol
Old 09-27-12, 05:02 PM
All Ohio

Mav, The only thing worse than playing at the old fairgrounds was getting off the bus in Minerva and realizing Petie Grimes was wearing pinstripes. Just kidding, later in life I leaned to love Petie!!!

Normandy is a bit of a black hole in itself. Many have entered only intending to stay a short time, only a few leave in a timely manner.