Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
Old 08-17-12, 02:34 PM
Varsity

Gmc

Princeton and Mason will obviously be the picks in the league, but other than those two, any surprises out of anybody? I think Sycamore and Lakota East both lost a lot, but both programs have great coaches. Will this league be down this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-12, 01:34 PM
All American

GMC has the teams you listed at the top, then a drop off. Will be curious what the Fish does with West. I don't think Hamilton, fairfield, or middletown will be very good. I wonder what Colerain is going to do. I heard they were down. I think the GMC's top teams are better than the GGCL, ECC, and SWOC teams. Can't wait to see if this is the year that Princeton finally makes a deep run or do the better teams have them figured out?
Old 08-18-12, 03:14 PM
All Ohio

Gmc still the best in cincy....mason and Princeton the class of the city...
Old 08-19-12, 07:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Malone View Post
Gmc still the best in cincy....mason and Princeton the class of the city...
Hard to argue with you there!
Old 08-20-12, 07:54 AM
Varsity

Fish's problems from last year graduated. I think he will have a talented young team that will play hard and will compete with just about anybody. They should get better as the year progresses.
Old 08-26-12, 02:57 PM
All Region

I just heard that fishman lost all of his staff and it will be interesting to see how the players respond to that but princeton and mason are still the top of the gmc. Never count out sycamore.
Old 08-26-12, 04:19 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther72 View Post
I just heard that fishman lost all of his staff and it will be interesting to see how the players respond to that but princeton and mason are still the top of the gmc. Never count out sycamore.
I agree, Coach Hayden always does a nice job! So the Fish lost his whole staff? Where did they go?
Old 08-27-12, 07:51 AM
Varsity

Fish lost an assistant who took the head job at Edgewood and another assistant took some time off to be with his young kids. He still has his varsity assistant and the losses shouldn't affect the team as a whole.
Old 09-16-12, 07:31 PM
All District

I think West will surprise alot of people this year - very young but full of talent - saw them play over the summer. I don't think Mason will to much of a threat to Princeton.
Old 10-10-12, 12:19 PM
Varsity

Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundball Fan View Post
Princeton and Mason will obviously be the picks in the league, but other than those two, any surprises out of anybody? I think Sycamore and Lakota East both lost a lot, but both programs have great coaches. Will this league be down this year?
Princeton still team to beat...Mason, Sycamore, and then likely wide open between East, West, and Colerain...then Fairfield and others. Look for East and West both to compete w/ top 3 though, maybe a split if they play any of them twice....
Old 10-11-12, 07:35 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS BBALL FAN View Post
Princeton still team to beat...Mason, Sycamore, and then likely wide open between East, West, and Colerain...then Fairfield and others. Look for East and West both to compete w/ top 3 though, maybe a split if they play any of them twice....
Don't be surprised if West finishes in the top 3 ahead of Sycamore. I also think East lost too much. Coaching can only take you so far if you don't have the horses.
Old 10-14-12, 08:49 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS BBALL FAN View Post
So why does anyone think that East and Sycamore will be in the top three.

East was not in the top three last year and most of its better players graduated. Did they get some transfers?

Sycamore is always a team you have to consider but they lost a ton.

So just asking why?

I do agree the top two will be Princton and Mason.

However Mason usually under achieves until the tourney.

West I believe will be a close third to Mason during the season but Mason will again go farther than Princton in in the State.

Princton will again beat teams early with the press but as the season then the tourney gets deep the press does not work very well and add one bad shooting night by Mitchell and boom another early exit by Princton.

Although who is Masons point this year. With Gunn and McDowell they certainly have the best 3 and 4. But guards are importent down the streach.

Although none of this makes to much of a difference, Fairmount wins the State going away.
Old 10-15-12, 08:46 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post

East was not in the top three last year and most of its better players graduated. Did they get some transfers?

So just asking why?

West I believe will be a close third to Mason during the season but Mason will again go farther than Princton in in the State.

Princton will again beat teams early with the press but as the season then the tourney gets deep the press does not work very well and add one bad shooting night by Mitchell and boom another early exit by Princton.

Although who is Masons point this year. With Gunn and McDowell they certainly have the best 3 and 4. But guards are importent down the streach.

Although none of this makes to much of a difference, Fairmount wins the State going away.
Sydney Neal will likely be Mason's PG this year. She averaged a little over 5 points a game last year and is a senior.
Old 10-15-12, 10:47 AM
Varsity

gmc

Quote:

So just asking why?

I give Sycamore slight nod for the 3 spot due to coahing combined w/ solid returning varsity experience. They also got a transfer from Princetn (I think) tht played this summer- very athletic.

I think West for sure can make some noise, knocking off any of the top few on any given night. Is the blone girl tht shoots lights out, back and healhy. W/ her in the mix definitely makes them a force and for the nxt few years b/c I think West is young....but so is East and full of athletic talent. I guess that's why I had East and West listed tgether.

And Mason...they will be tough.
Old 10-15-12, 05:52 PM
Freshman

GMC preseason breakdown

First let me say that this is only my opinion......That's why they play the games. In no particular order

This season should come down to a battle between Mason and Princeton.

Mason, coming off of thier run in the tournament should be ready and confident. Their point guard Sidney Neal was solid in the tourny run for sure. She isn't the biggest scoring threat but ran the team. She stepped up as the season progressed. She should be poised to have a nice senior campaign. They only lost one senior, who played significant mins from their team, Bri Glover (Xavier). She will definately be missed. She accounted for 24.5% of their offense at 13pts/gm with 5 reb/gm averages. They should be able to replace her rebounding with the bigs that are still there. The 13pts may be another issue. But I think McDowell, Gunn, Neal, Ammons and Co should be able to pick it up. They did lose another senior that played about 9 min a game but only scored 0.8pts/game and 1.8rebs. I look for Kayla McDowell to have a big senior seasn.

Princeton, I am not sure if people have a real understanding of how hard Kelsey Mitchell works. That is the key to her success. With that said.... Princeton also lost a couple of seniors Breanna Rucker 18 min/gm, 7.4pts, 5rebs. Another loss will be her length and speed on defense. They also lost C. Smith who played 13 min/gm 2pts and 2.7 rebs/gm. Her size on the interior was a big help to them. Now to what's left. Princeton was overall a yound team last year. Yes they had Kelsey but they were still young. Her teammates are now getting accustomed to looking for the ball when she drives and gaining confidence from her encouragement of them to shoot the ball and work at becoming better players themselves. As far as her having a bad shooting night....good luck with that. She is definately maturing in her own game and understanding how to penetrate and use her body better to get her girls easier shots. Not to mention getting the other team in foul trouble. As long the game is a close one I would put my money on her to pull her team thru. Is it possible they could lose? sure but the odds are in their favor. Most of the team will still be juniors or younger....imagine that. They also have a solid Freshman in M. Sherman. If she can come in and releave Kelsey of some of the PG duties that makes their team even stronger.

The next 3 teams should contend for spots 3-5.

West, ......Andy's problems graduated.....lol that's funny because he lost 5 seniors from last years squad. They accounted for 50% of the offense 24.9pts/gm and 49.4% of their rebounding each game. Let alone the fact that against the top teams he relied on the Reeves twins and Mcneal's speed and athleticism to win/stay in games. They could definately be volatile and disruptive but he used them when he needed them. Those 5 seniors experience definately helped. He did a good job of giving his younger kids minutes though. He routinely played 10 kids each game. That is good for development but it makes it hard for a kid to get into any kind of rythm, especially when they know that with one mistake the horn will blow for them to come out of the game. I look for this team to be geared towards getting L. Cannatelli the ball off single and double screens. She can definately shoot the ball when uncontested. They still have good interior size with Zieverink, Tomasic, and Carter all 6'. Their issue will be on the perimeter. Niehaus is a solid ball handler and as a senior should be a steady PG for them. They do have one of the best freshmen in the city in Nia Staples. It will be interesting to see how he develops her. The transfer from Hamilton...... In watching games last season I didn't see any PG's I thought could come and contribute much more than some lost defensive speed. Definately none that could really handle or shoot.

Sycamore, Sycamore lost a ton to say tht least. They lost 4 starters who accounted for 67% of their offense last season. They regularly played 6-7 kids so it's going to be a learning process for them. They still have Outlaw, Locke, and McDonald to go along with some younger talent. Those 3 seniors will have to lead their team. They have a really good young PG in N. Hunter who as a soph. should have learned alot from Cloe Pavlech last season. They do have a transfer and some other kids that are solid players so it will be a very interesting year for them. They do have an excellent coach with a solid track record so we will see how they do. I look for Outlaw to have her best season to date being as she can play carefree and really look to be a difference maker.

East, East graduated 7 seniors from last seasons team.......... Wow. They accounted for 74.5% of their scoring. Needless to say they will be young and rebuilding. They should be mostly soph's. with a couple of upper classmen. They had 3 freshman that played last season. Cydney Franklin, Nia Thomas and Kandace Satterwhite played minutes with Franklin starting 10 gms. The team should benefit from their experience. The program did have one of the best JV squads in the GMC and should be a surprise to some. They should have solid contributions from upperclass interior players E. White and K Lamar as well.

Colerain, They lost a lot to graduation as well 4 senior starters accounting for 68% of their scoring. Both interior players and 2 guards. They do have a couple of players returning that saw action last year but the most significant of those Rachel Williams tore her acl this summer during AAU, with her out it will be hard for the Cardinals to have enough ball handling to make any noise.

Hamilton, with Spurlock playing almost alone. They lost Ash who was a skilled big and a big help to Spurlock along with 3 other seniors from their team.

Fairfield, They have a solid team who showed great improvement as the season progressed. They have a young team as well. They lost Gaffney who only playr half the season before getting hurt and Alexander. They will warrant keeping an eye on for sure. They have a really good coach and are buying into his system. They have some speed and a solid PG in Bria Spaulding. I think they will be a middle of the pack team but solid.

Middletown- They have one of the best individual guards in the league in Senior Vada Edwards to go along with junior Korie Roberts. But with little else it's hard to contend in the GMC.

Oakhills, Without talent it's a tough way to go in this league.
Old 10-15-12, 09:55 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_J Ballin View Post
First let me say that this is only my opinion......That's why they play the games. In no particular order

Mason, coming off of thier run in the tournament should be ready and confident. Their point guard Sidney Neal was solid in the tourny run for sure. She isn't the biggest scoring threat but ran the team. She stepped up as the season progressed. She should be poised to have a nice senior campaign. They only lost one senior, who played significant mins from their team, Bri Glover (Xavier). She will definately be missed. She accounted for 24.5% of their offense at 13pts/gm with 5 reb/gm averages. They should be able to replace her rebounding with the bigs that are still there. The 13pts may be another issue. But I think McDowell, Gunn, Neal, Ammons and Co should be able to pick it up. They did lose another senior that played about 9 min a game but only scored 0.8pts/game and 1.8rebs. I look for Kayla McDowell to have a big senior seasn.

Princeton, I am not sure if people have a real understanding of how hard Kelsey Mitchell works. That is the key to her success. With that said.... Princeton also lost a couple of seniors Breanna Rucker 18 min/gm, 7.4pts, 5rebs. Another loss will be her length and speed on defense. They also lost C. Smith who played 13 min/gm 2pts and 2.7 rebs/gm. Her size on the interior was a big help to them. Now to what's left. Princeton was overall a yound team last year. Yes they had Kelsey but they were still young. Her teammates are now getting accustomed to looking for the ball when she drives and gaining confidence from her encouragement of them to shoot the ball and work at becoming better players themselves. As far as her having a bad shooting night....good luck with that. She is definately maturing in her own game and understanding how to penetrate and use her body better to get her girls easier shots. Not to mention getting the other team in foul trouble. As long the game is a close one I would put my money on her to pull her team thru. Is it possible they could lose? sure but the odds are in their favor. Most of the team will still be juniors or younger....imagine that. They also have a solid Freshman in M. Sherman. If she can come in and releave Kelsey of some of the PG duties that makes their team even stronger.

West, ......Andy's problems graduated.....lol that's funny because he lost 5 seniors from last years squad. They accounted for 50% of the offense 24.9pts/gm and 49.4% of their rebounding each game. Let alone the fact that against the top teams he relied on the Reeves twins and Mcneal's speed and athleticism to win/stay in games. They could definately be volatile and disruptive but he used them when he needed them. Those 5 seniors experience definately helped. He did a good job of giving his younger kids minutes though. He routinely played 10 kids each game. That is good for development but it makes it hard for a kid to get into any kind of rythm, especially when they know that with one mistake the horn will blow for them to come out of the game. I look for this team to be geared towards getting L. Cannatelli the ball off single and double screens. She can definately shoot the ball when uncontested. They still have good interior size with Zieverink, Tomasic, and Carter all 6'. Their issue will be on the perimeter. Niehaus is a solid ball handler and as a senior should be a steady PG for them. They do have one of the best freshmen in the city in Nia Staples. It will be interesting to see how he develops her. The transfer from Hamilton...... In watching games last season I didn't see any PG's I thought could come and contribute much more than some lost defensive speed. Definately none that could really handle or shoot.

Sycamore, Sycamore lost a ton to say tht least. They lost 4 starters who accounted for 67% of their offense last season. They regularly played 6-7 kids so it's going to be a learning process for them. They still have Outlaw, Locke, and McDonald to go along with some younger talent. Those 3 seniors will have to lead their team. They have a really good young PG in N. Hunter who as a soph. should have learned alot from Cloe Pavlech last season. They do have a transfer and some other kids that are solid players so it will be a very interesting year for them. They do have an excellent coach with a solid track record so we will see how they do. I look for Outlaw to have her best season to date being as she can play carefree and really look to be a difference maker.

East, East graduated 7 seniors from last seasons team.......... Wow. They accounted for 74.5% of their scoring. Needless to say they will be young and rebuilding. They should be mostly soph's. with a couple of upper classmen. They had 3 freshman that played last season. Cydney Franklin, Nia Thomas and Kandace Satterwhite played minutes with Franklin starting 10 gms. The team should benefit from their experience. The program did have one of the best JV squads in the GMC and should be a surprise to some. They should have solid contributions from upperclass interior players E. White and K Lamar as well.

Colerain, They lost a lot to graduation as well 4 senior starters accounting for 68% of their scoring. Both interior players and 2 guards. They do have a couple of players returning that saw action last year but the most significant of those Rachel Williams tore her acl this summer during AAU, with her out it will be hard for the Cardinals to have enough ball handling to make any noise.

Hamilton, with Spurlock playing almost alone. They lost Ash who was a skilled big and a big help to Spurlock along with 3 other seniors from their team.

Fairfield, They have a solid team who showed great improvement as the season progressed. They have a young team as well. They lost Gaffney who only playr half the season before getting hurt and Alexander. They will warrant keeping an eye on for sure. They have a really good coach and are buying into his system. They have some speed and a solid PG in Bria Spaulding. I think they will be a middle of the pack team but solid.

Middletown- They have one of the best individual guards in the league in Senior Vada Edwards to go along with junior Korie Roberts. But with little else it's hard to contend in the GMC.

Great research I can not argue with your analysis. Only problem I saw was Zieverink from West is playing college basketball this year. West will win from behind the arch this year. Holder is back and gives them three or four consistant three point shooters.
Old 10-16-12, 10:25 AM
Varsity

Quote:

I saw West play in the summer camps and they will not have an issue from the perimeter, in fact, that should be their strength. The transfer from Hamilton missed a substantial amount of time due to injury last year and is virtually unknown but had a very solid summer playing for the CHP club and in the camps. She should play the point for them. She can shoot from the outside and, along with Cannatelli, Holder, and Mills gives them a solid perimeter game. Should be an interesting season for them.
Old 10-16-12, 10:55 AM
All American

Quote:
I saw West play in the summer camps and they will not have an issue from the perimeter, in fact, that should be their strength. The transfer from Hamilton missed a substantial amount of time due to injury last year and is virtually unknown but had a very solid summer playing for the CHP club and in the camps. She should play the point for them. She can shoot from the outside and, along with Cannatelli, Holder, and Mills gives them a solid perimeter game. Should be an interesting season for them.
I think it is funny how when you first joined Yappi your posts were all focused on Hamilton. Now they are all focused on LW. You have mentioned a lot of players by name, but never mention the name of the good transfer from Hamilton to LW. It really surprises me you don't know her name or chose not to use it. Hmmmm?
Old 10-16-12, 11:16 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Roundball, I was wondering about the name of the hamilton transfer as well. It seems like you would know the name, but who knows you may not....... I will say this about Holder she can flat out shoot the ball and has some athleticism. She should definately help them but I see the varsity experience/pressure as possibly being an issue, as with most of the other younger kids in the league. Mills can shoot some but is inconsistant IMO. Her shooting form and how long it takes her to get her shot off don't seem to be where they will need to be.

When I make these assessments I'm saying I know that some kids can play against kids that aren't top tier talent and look great. I'm talking about teams/kids that can play. All of the kids mentioned are quality basketball players for sure. They have solid fundamentals and basketball IQ. As soph's they have a great opportunity playing under Fishman to become even better, as long as they still have the drive and desire to keep playing.
Old 10-16-12, 11:19 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Great research I can not argue with your analysis. Only problem I saw was Zieverink from West is playing college basketball this year. West will win from behind the arch this year. Holder is back and gives them three or four consistant three point shooters.
HeadWest you are correct about Zieverink. I see that she went to East a couple years then transfered to West for her last 2 seasons. But I forgot they will have Whittaker who is a 6' post.
Old 10-16-12, 12:31 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32minutesofpressure View Post
I think it is funny how when you first joined Yappi your posts were all focused on Hamilton. Now they are all focused on LW. You have mentioned a lot of players by name, but never mention the name of the good transfer from Hamilton to LW. It really surprises me you don't know her name or chose not to use it. Hmmmm?
I think it is funny how you focus on my posts instead of addressing the topic. I don't know who you think I am, and frankly, I don't care. I happen to follow the GMC and have an affiliation with both Hamilton and Lakota West. If you read some of my previous posts, you will see that. As for the transfer's name, I do know it but choose not to post it for my own reasons. I think you will know it soon enough, or, you may already know it. Hmmmmm.
Old 10-18-12, 10:28 AM
Varsity

gmc ont'd

cj ballin,

very good breakdown and fair. nonetheless, it should be another exciting year for the gmc!
Old 10-18-12, 12:02 PM
All District

Here...I'll help you all out. The transfer from Hamilton is Ellie Kivell.
Old 10-18-12, 01:42 PM
Freshman

Hamilton xfer

AAUPOPS ,

Are you sure that is the right kid. Because based on the description of the transfer being hurt much of the season it wouldn't be. She only missed 3 games last year based on GMC site. Anyway it doesn't matter, I'm sure she will do fine playing for Fishman. Do you kow if she is a Junior this year? The site says she was a soph last year. Can't wait for the season to start. Looking forward to seeing some good games.
Old 10-18-12, 01:44 PM
Freshman

HS Fan

Thanks. I try to be objective since it is really about the kids in the end.
Old 10-18-12, 09:15 PM
All District

Quote:
AAUPOPS ,

Are you sure that is the right kid. Because based on the description of the transfer being hurt much of the season it wouldn't be. She only missed 3 games last year based on GMC site. Anyway it doesn't matter, I'm sure she will do fine playing for Fishman. Do you kow if she is a Junior this year? The site says she was a soph last year. Can't wait for the season to start. Looking forward to seeing some good games.
Ellie Kivell is the right person.
Old 10-19-12, 03:19 PM
Varsity

Quote:
AAUPOPS ,

Ellie fought a nagging knee injury last year. It limited her practice time and consequently, her playing time. She also suffered a concussion against Sycamore which kept her out for a few games.
Old 10-22-12, 12:36 AM
All American

What has happened to Oak Hills? 5 years ago they use to be top 3 team in GMC and top 5 team in the city.
Old 10-22-12, 09:55 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincysports4 View Post
What has happened to Oak Hills? 5 years ago they use to be top 3 team in GMC and top 5 team in the city.
Keyhan, Patchco, and a couple other d-2 players graduated. Sorry about the name spelling but you get the idea.
Old 10-23-12, 01:46 PM
Freshman

Oakhills

Cincysports,

Oakhills hasn't had very much talent come up through the system the last few years. They have had some kids who are decent players but in this league you need a couple of studs to go along with solid complementary players to compete at the top. Their teams have had just the complementary type kids. It's a big district so you would think that they would have kids coming up, here and there but it just hasn't happened.