Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-23-11, 12:21 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Lightbulb What Do You Want To Know About The Midland Redskins or Their Program? Answers Here

What do you want to know about the Midland Redskins or the Midland Baseball program? Rosters? Umpires? Why they don't have all Ohio kids? Is the program going away in the future? Why don't they post their roster? Why did they cut out their other 2 select teams? All you have to do is ask!

I work as Director of Operations for the Midland Program. I scout the players, college placement, Schedule, uniforms, lessons, etc. I will be happy to answer any question any about any subject regarding our program. A few former players told me about this site and I must say - it has brought me some good laughs. Fire away if you wish. We are open about everything, most people just never ask and leave it to speculation! I will be checking back periodically to see what you all have to say. If you don't want to post to the website, you can contact me directly.

Sincerely,

Brian Hiler
Midland Baseball
4101 Founders Blvd.
Suite 200
Batavia, OH 45103
(513) 378-1111
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 02-23-11, 12:48 PM
Hometeam Hometeam is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Posts: 11,937
Probably one of the main questions - do they have a roster that can be viewed for their top Midland team? That would answer the question as to how many Ohio kids are on the team, I guess. In other words, do they have an accessible website?

More out of curiosity than anything else - can't deny they are a good team with good players.

Last edited by Hometeam; 02-23-11 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-23-11, 01:07 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
2011 Midland Redskins Roster

Our website is www.midlandredskins.org.

Our 2011 Roster
Dillon Peters (LHP) Indianapolis, IN
Chase Mullins (LHP Lexington, KY
Matt Smoral (LHP) Solon, OH
Mike Mancuso (RHP) Brecksville, OH
Eric Martin (RHP) Cincinnati, OH
Chandler Shepard (RHP) Louisa, KY
Taylore Cherry (RH) Dayton, OH
Jackson Laumann (1B) Boone County, KY
Jared Ruxer (RHP) Indianapolis, IN
Boo Vazquez (OF) Youngstown, OH
Max Kuhn (SS) - Indianapolis, IN
Dillon Howard (RHP) - Searcy, AR
Mike Klement (SS) Miami, FL
Alex Real (C) - Phoenix, AZ
Kevin Matthews (LHP) Richmond Hills, GA
Kayden Porter (OF,1B, Closer) Spanish Fork, UT
Cody Geyer (DH) Weaverville, NC
Ryan Burr (RHP) - Denver, CO
Joe DeCarlo (SS) - Philadelphia, PA
Colten Bottlomley (OF) - Miami, FL
Dakota Smith (OF) - Leavenworth, Kansas
John Clay Reeves (C) - Monroe, LA
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-11, 04:19 PM
Hometeam Hometeam is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-18-06
Posts: 11,937
Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-11, 06:17 PM
Caju Caju is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-07
Posts: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
A few former players told me about this site and I must say - it has brought me some good laughs.

Sincerely,

Brian Hiler
Midland Baseball
4101 Founders Blvd.
Suite 200
Batavia, OH 45103
(513) 378-1111
Glad we could help brighten your day! Laughter is the best medicine. (According to Readers Digest)
The main question I had was the roster and you've answered that already. I've heard you use Minor league umps, is that correct?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-11, 06:23 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Midland's Umpires

We use a group headed by a man named George Sturgeon. He runs around 30 umpires. They umpire high school and college games. Most people tend to think that Midland games are "fixed." If that's the case, of our 5 losses last year, 3 were at home. I think that I read this post somewhere in Yappi and it's correct. Since we play at home so much, these umpires know our pitchers tendencies around the plate and vive versa.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-23-11, 06:23 PM
wildcatharrison wildcatharrison is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-12-10
Location: Northbrook estates
Posts: 5,137
Why was the 2 teams removed for the organization....I heard financial issues, also heard they wanted to try and keep it local.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-23-11, 06:32 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Local Talent

Widcat Harrison - You are correct. We want this to be a local team, problem is, not all local kids want to play for us, reasons are theirs and we may never know. We have recruited Ohio and Cincinnati, Northern KY players, they just don't want to come over. We have put a stronger emphasis on our younger programs and want those coaches to produce local players that will one day be Redskins. We want the local player, we just don't always get them. We dissolved the other "select" teams to send this message to this area loud and clear. believe me when I tell you, it was NEVER about finances!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-23-11, 06:37 PM
Caju Caju is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-07
Posts: 1,130
I never felt they were fixed, just that you seemed to get the benefit of the doubt in close plays. But I suppose we get that too in some games with familiar umpires.
A friend who was a little more familiar with the organization seemed to think that around 8-10 years ago you used Minor league umps, was that ever the case?
Appreciate your responses, I didn't start this thread to make you appear secretive or anything, was just wondering if anyone knew of other Ohio players on the team. I see you have 5, that's more than I would've guessed.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-23-11, 06:41 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Caju - I'm glad people are asking the questions. We have 5 Ohio players on the roster and like the previous post, we went after about 12 others, they just didn't want to come and play for us. We never had minor league umpires. That time of the year, minor league umpires are doing minor league games.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-24-11, 08:20 AM
wildcatharrison wildcatharrison is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-12-10
Location: Northbrook estates
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
Widcat Harrison - You are correct. We want this to be a local team, problem is, not all local kids want to play for us, reasons are theirs and we may never know. We have recruited Ohio and Cincinnati, Northern KY players, they just don't want to come over. We have put a stronger emphasis on our younger programs and want those coaches to produce local players that will one day be Redskins. We want the local player, we just don't always get them. We dissolved the other "select" teams to send this message to this area loud and clear. believe me when I tell you, it was NEVER about finances!
I have never heard anything bad about midland....we played them in a tourny a few years back...really good ball players on your team. We lost 10-9 bottom of the 7th. Just seems there is some sort of mystique about Midland...almost like "the talent is too good, don't try out" Maybe you guys need to offer programs at reasonable rates...(pitching instr, hitting, fielding...etc) you never know who will walk thru the door.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-24-11, 08:27 AM
scott873 scott873 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 03-15-08
Posts: 131
Where do the out of town players stay. How do they pay for food do they have to pay to play for your team.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-24-11, 09:45 AM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Where do our players stay

Our players stay with host families. Some of the host families are coaches but most are just families who open their hearts and homes every summer and just love baseball. One of the draws of the Redskins is these kids learn life skills from cooking, laundry, and how to manage their time while being away from home and on the road. We model our program after the Cape Cod league or the lower levels of minor league baseball. Most people don't know, players in the minor leagues of professional baseball STAY WITH HOST FAMILIES not in fancy hotels.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-24-11, 09:52 AM
GRPride86 GRPride86 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-17-05
Location: Moving on to the MEC
Posts: 14,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
Most people don't know, players in the minor leagues of professional baseball STAY WITH HOST FAMILIES not in fancy hotels.
Like Susan Sarandon in Bull Durham?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-24-11, 09:55 AM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
We Offer Training and Lessons - But What Would Your Coach Think?

Wildcat Harrison - We offer lessons to anyone in Cincinnati. Heck think of it as getting in front of Pro Scouts and Major Colleges by working out with us. We have fun things like hitting leagues over the winter time, XMas Wiffle Ball tournament at Midland Indoor and another wiffle ball tourny coming up March 19 at the facility - open to any 5 man team, any age group. Why does word never get back to the kids when we e-mail these things out? Why do most parents and kids never find out? Why does everyone think were some sort of secret society? IS YOUR COACH (HS or Summer) PASSING ALONG THESE OPPORTUNITIES?
1.) You think your coach wants us to make you so good it gets to the point he/she would lose you to US?
2.) We do most things at no cost - unless cost of equipment etc. Everyone else around does it for the MONEY ($).
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-24-11, 09:57 AM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
GRPride86 - Durham is a AAA affiliate, I think these kids are not ready for that yet, we're talking more Rookie-Level low A here, LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-24-11, 10:26 AM
wildcatharrison wildcatharrison is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 03-12-10
Location: Northbrook estates
Posts: 5,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
Wildcat Harrison - We offer lessons to anyone in Cincinnati. Heck think of it as getting in front of Pro Scouts and Major Colleges by working out with us. We have fun things like hitting leagues over the winter time, XMas Wiffle Ball tournament at Midland Indoor and another wiffle ball tourny coming up March 19 at the facility - open to any 5 man team, any age group. Why does word never get back to the kids when we e-mail these things out? Why do most parents and kids never find out? Why does everyone think were some sort of secret society? IS YOUR COACH (HS or Summer) PASSING ALONG THESE OPPORTUNITIES?
1.) You think your coach wants us to make you so good it gets to the point he/she would lose you to US?
2.) We do most things at no cost - unless cost of equipment etc. Everyone else around does it for the MONEY ($).
Well, I never get any info. Not that I visit your website. I do coach, and I would pass it on any info that would make our team and kids better. That is our goal anyway, bringing the kids to the next level.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-24-11, 10:47 AM
lovebaseball15 lovebaseball15 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-09-10
Posts: 65
Up and In,

Thank you very much for this info! I agree, a lot of people have a lot of misconceptions about your program so I think it is great you are clearing this up. Thanks also for posting the roster! It makes it much easier for scouts to have things posted ahead of time as you know scouts are not a big fan of constantly having to ask for rosters. With that being said is the reason why you don't post your roster online because you usually make multiple changes throughout the year due to players leaving because of lack of playing time and/or other reasons?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-24-11, 10:57 AM
lovebaseball15 lovebaseball15 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-09-10
Posts: 65
Also, with the contacts you have listed on your website do these people know a day in advance in regards to the pitching rotation for a game or tournament if a scout were to text/call and ask?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-24-11, 11:44 AM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Posting the Redskins Roster

We do have pitching rotations for scouts, days in advance. All they have to do is contact us and we get them what they need. The MAIN and ABSOLUTE reason we don't post our roster is because of AGENTS/"ADVISORS." With some of our kids being from out-of the Cincinnati area and there parents not here, we have to protect them from some of these people. Most of our kids are approached by these "advisors." Not all agents are bad. But most would use their contact info. for the wrong reasons and it puts our kids in a bad situation. If you ask the parents of kids who play on our teams, they are thankful we don't post rosters. When we give out rosters at our games, we can see who we are giving them to, and most likely they need to have all contact info. like e-mail, cell, mom and dad e-mail and cell, etc. to get ahold of these players. Our rosters contain all of that information.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-24-11, 12:25 PM
basesloaded basesloaded is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-21-05
Posts: 201
So how did the Midland Redskins evolve into carrying almost exclusively out of town players? In the 80's and early 90's, Midland got whoever they wanted in Cincinnati and won some national championships with those players. Do you know what it was that made the roster look like it does today?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-24-11, 12:36 PM
lovebaseball15 lovebaseball15 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-09-10
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
We do have pitching rotations for scouts, days in advance. All they have to do is contact us and we get them what they need. The MAIN and ABSOLUTE reason we don't post our roster is because of AGENTS/"ADVISORS." With some of our kids being from out-of the Cincinnati area and there parents not here, we have to protect them from some of these people. Most of our kids are approached by these "advisors." Not all agents are bad. But most would use their contact info. for the wrong reasons and it puts our kids in a bad situation. If you ask the parents of kids who play on our teams, they are thankful we don't post rosters. When we give out rosters at our games, we can see who we are giving them to, and most likely they need to have all contact info. like e-mail, cell, mom and dad e-mail and cell, etc. to get ahold of these players. Our rosters contain all of that information.
Makes perfect sense!! I can imagine how much of a headache it is for parents to deal with that! I know of a couple parents whose sons were drafted in the top 8 rounds out of H.S. and they were thrilled when it was all said and done to be finished with that grueling process. And thanks for the scout info and rotation information!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-24-11, 01:28 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
basesloaded - We dropped the ball partly on this one. We lost emphasis on our younger teams and their development and just thought it would always stay this way - in-town players and winning championships. With the infusion of so many younger teams into the area, kids get more spread out. Players who would once upon a time switch to our organization in that time period now have the mind set of "You didn't want me when I was 12, so ***** you now that I'm 16."
Part 2 of the equation is this - take a player like Eric Hosmer. Rated 6th best player in minor leagues right now with Royals, #3 overall selection in 2008 draft, he's from Miami, FL. We play against him in an out-of-town tournament. After we LOST to his team, he and his parents approach us about coming to play with us the following year. Well, after the first 1B I wanted out of Cincinnati at the time (a GCL school) says thanks but no thanks, of course we have to fill in with an out of town player if there is no better comparison here. If a player tells us "no" here, we're not going to stand by. Not fair to the rest of the kids who said yes!
Part 3 - Don't care what anyone tells you, the people who scout and colleges will tell you if they're truthful, CINCINNATI baseball isn't what it used to be. When's the last time you've seen a pickup game outside a church yard or at some public park? Heck, how many times you seeing DAD play catch anymore?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-24-11, 01:45 PM
wayicit wayicit is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-10
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
basesloaded - We dropped the ball partly on this one. We lost emphasis on our younger teams and their development and just thought it would always stay this way - in-town players and winning championships. With the infusion of so many younger teams into the area, kids get more spread out. Players who would once upon a time switch to our organization in that time period now have the mind set of "You didn't want me when I was 12, so ***** you now that I'm 16."
Part 2 of the equation is this - take a player like Eric Hosmer. Rated 6th best player in minor leagues right now with Royals, #3 overall selection in 2008 draft, he's from Miami, FL. We play against him in an out-of-town tournament. After we LOST to his team, he and his parents approach us about coming to play with us the following year. Well, after the first 1B I wanted out of Cincinnati at the time (a GCL school) says thanks but no thanks, of course we have to fill in with an out of town player if there is no better comparison here. If a player tells us "no" here, we're not going to stand by. Not fair to the rest of the kids who said yes!
Part 3 - Don't care what anyone tells you, the people who scout and colleges will tell you if they're truthful, CINCINNATI baseball isn't what it used to be. When's the last time you've seen a pickup game outside a church yard or at some public park? Heck, how many times you seeing DAD play catch anymore?
Agreed about Cinci baseball, but I would argue it isn't confined to Cinci...it's dropped off everywhere at the younger ages. With the videogame revolution, kids everywhere are staying inside more. Just say, you want to fill the most competitive team you possibly can, and it may require you to look across the country to do so...there's nothing wrong with that, others do it, nothing to be ashamed about. It's a private organization and this is America, last time I checked...as long as you're not breaking any laws, do whatever you choose to do...don't apologize or make excuses (not that you are).
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-24-11, 02:02 PM
lovebaseball15 lovebaseball15 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-09-10
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayicit View Post
Agreed about Cinci baseball, but I would argue it isn't confined to Cinci...it's dropped off everywhere at the younger ages. With the videogame revolution, kids everywhere are staying inside more. Just say, you want to fill the most competitive team you possibly can, and it may require you to look across the country to do so...there's nothing wrong with that, others do it, nothing to be ashamed about. It's a private organization and this is America, last time I checked...as long as you're not breaking any laws, do whatever you choose to do...don't apologize or make excuses (not that you are).
Well put! People in the past have made accusations that Midland is good because "They get people from all over" Well no **** if an organization provides the money, work ethic, and quality of instruction then why not do something to te best of your ability? Wouldn't you?? One last comment about Midland. I saw their Redskins team play and obviously I knew they would be very talented and they were but the thing I found most interesting was not their talent it was doing ALL the little things you want to have happen from a coaching standpoint. They were the best team I had ever seen at communication. Not only communication on the field but from the players that were on the bench to the players that were on the field. Trust me those guys weren't playing grab *** in the dugout. They also did the fundamental things sacrafice bunting. I saw their leadoff guy sacrafice a guy to second base but their runner from first was running so hard and hustling to second that he actually made it to third base.These things require GOOD coaching so obviously they get that there. Thats what I noticed when I watched them play last summer.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-24-11, 02:04 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Wayicit - believe me, making no excuses here! I'm not going to apologize for having a great facility, great coaches, tradition, resources, knowledge etc. Too many dad's get involved with their son's future/career and try to live through them. I just say hand them over to "baseball people" who know what to do. This is what we do!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-11, 05:23 PM
wayicit wayicit is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 10-01-10
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
Wayicit - believe me, making no excuses here! I'm not going to apologize for having a great facility, great coaches, tradition, resources, knowledge etc. Too many dad's get involved with their son's future/career and try to live through them. I just say hand them over to "baseball people" who know what to do. This is what we do!
I'm on your side, I know you have "a great facility, great coaches, tradition, resources, knowledge etc." I just thought the comment about Cinci kids aren't what they use to be regarding baseball, although true, it's relative to the country as a whole (it's not just Cinci) and with a reputable organization such as Midland, where you have deserving kids from across the country who want to play for you. All you need to say is, "we (Midland) have talent from all over the country because we've developed a great baseball program that draws kids from all over." You don't need to insinuate that you're only doing it because the talent level in Cinci isn't what it used to be, as that is probably true for most cities. It's all relative. Your program is great and follows all the rules, you don't need to justify why someone outside of Ohio is on your team to anyone. It's kinda silly in my opinion. But hey, to each his own.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-11, 05:50 PM
bamasbear bamasbear is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 08-23-10
Posts: 5
My son played for the midland program last summer and it was the best experience he has ever had for baseball. He was able to meet and play with some of the most talented players in his age group. He had to manage his time and get places on time, practice everyday, workouts and games. He didnt have his mommy around to do everything for him, he has grown up in so many ways it is the greatest thing as a parent i have ever experienced. The only thing that upset him was that they don't have a 17u team this next summer and he won't be returning to Cinci to play with these boys again. Midland is a top notch program with coaches who care about these boys and a Owner who cares about each and everyone of these boys. Good luck next summer and hopefully he will return after his senior season to compete for a national championship.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-11, 05:54 PM
Up_and_In Up_and_In is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 11-15-10
Posts: 85
Other Cities talent

wayicit - Infact the Cincinnati thing is true, and it's not relative around the country, in fact other cities are getting stronger and passing us where before we dominated! Cincinnati has the largest amateur baseball league in the country - SouthWest Ohio League. Cincinnati used to be ranked the #7 out of 10 top baseball producing cities in America as of 1992. Last Cincinnati first round pick out of high school - 1991 - Mike Bell out of Moeller. But having the most teams, means watering down. When I travel around I see cities before where they had no powers and prospects, having 2 and 3,4,5 teams that are loaded with D1 and pro prospects. Indianapolis - Indiana Prospects, Indiana Bulls. Nashville,TN - Brentwood A's, Outlaws, Murfressboro Diamond Devils and Michigan - Michigan Bulls, Kalamazoo Maroons, AGreen Financial. Places not known as being hot beds of talent in the past now all get a look and they are as much "northern" cities as we are?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-24-11, 06:51 PM
AmericaOne AmericaOne is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 05-14-05
Posts: 1,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up_and_In View Post
We use a group headed by a man named George Sturgeon. He runs around 30 umpires. They umpire high school and college games. Most people tend to think that Midland games are "fixed." If that's the case, of our 5 losses last year, 3 were at home. I think that I read this post somewhere in Yappi and it's correct. Since we play at home so much, these umpires know our pitchers tendencies around the plate and vive versa.
Up: Brian the bad rap with the umpires came when you had UMPS Are US. They left a lot to be desired. With the bogus fielders balks initiated by JB, and over turning his field umpires on judgement calls. But Midland always presents a strong team. Glad you got rid of Upms are us, they should never have umpired a class organization such as Mildand.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:50 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.