Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-13-19, 06:09 PM
Varsity

Goalsetting is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslate View Post
Shorthanded???? Blair did that with the Ferrari Bros defecting out of nowhere
And it didn’t matter! Lol
Old 01-13-19, 06:18 PM
Freshman

Tslate is on a distinguished road
Exactly
Old 01-13-19, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
The missing personnel for St. Edward against Blair would not have made a difference in terms of wins & losses based on what Blair had. Eagles are waiting on Gallagher to return, Hightower has been in & out over the last two weeks, Rini has been out two weeks after Powerade.
Old 01-13-19, 06:48 PM
All World

MPhillips will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
The missing personnel for St. Edward against Blair would not have made a difference in terms of wins & losses based on what Blair had. Eagles are waiting on Gallagher to return, Hightower has been in & out over the last two weeks, Rini has been out two weeks after Powerade.
Most of us understand that.

"Go easy Pony Boy."
Old 01-13-19, 08:17 PM
All Region

craftAmaniac is on a distinguished road
Blair also had their 6th ranked in the country 160 out for 2 weeks due to “biting” which was a bs call
Old 01-14-19, 07:40 AM
All American

eliwes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftAmaniac View Post
Blair also had their 6th ranked in the country 160 out for 2 weeks due to “biting” which was a bs call
Really? he would of lost to ironman champ Dover. With all the Ed's starters in the line up the score would have been closer.
Old 01-14-19, 07:57 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliwes View Post
Really? he would of lost to ironman champ Dover. With all the Ed's starters in the line up the score would have been closer.
LOL...it mighta, shoulda, coulda been closer.
Old 01-14-19, 08:07 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tslate View Post
Shorthanded???? Blair did that with the Ferrari Bros defecting out of nowhere
I heard AJ was expelled for fighting and the brothers are going to Bergen Catholic. also another wrestler is on suspension for biting. Are they going to be eligible to wrestle?
Old 01-14-19, 08:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
LOL...it mighta, shoulda, coulda been closer.
you didn't say that to Bucksman's post.
Old 01-14-19, 09:41 AM
All World

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
I agree. Very little difference if we would have had all wrestlers available.

The goal is to be healthy by Feb 9th.
Old 01-14-19, 11:30 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
My position is that Blair is not a high school team, but a collection of high school aged all stars from across the country. This takes the term "recruiting" to a whole new level. I guess there are restrictions they face, but that is all centered around money.
Old 01-15-19, 09:30 AM
All World

bdhof will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
My position is that Blair is not a high school team, but a collection of high school aged all stars from across the country. This takes the term "recruiting" to a whole new level. I guess there are restrictions they face, but that is all centered around money.
Yeah and you have it in several sports. I don't know what the answer is. The rankers could limit their pool to HSs that are sanctioned by the state HS Assoc., but I think the rankers want to include the high profile programs - IMG in several sports, Oak Hill Academy in basketball, etc. In wrestling, the title of "national champs" is pretty much out of reach for a normal HS when Blair has half their starters from out of state.
Old 01-15-19, 10:19 AM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The argument that Blair should not compete or be ranked with state sanctioned High Schools, isn’t all that different from the argument that public schools in Ohio make about private schools like St. Eds.

Eds’ pulls in top level kids from all over NE Ohio- arguably the best wrestling area in the country- (and even further in some cases), because they’ve built something special over the years making it difficult for community built high school programs (non open enrollment) to compete with year after year. It is what it is… and good on Eds for building their strong tradition. Prep schools (Blair, WSem, LHP) pull in kids from all across the country for a good education, great alumni connecting, and great wrestling…

Tuition + R&B at Blair is north of $60k a year. They have an endowment rivaling many private colleges and I suspect most students including wrestlers are getting some kind of need based financial aid, but even with, parents are still paying a good chunk of cash to send their kids there.
Old 01-15-19, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

TakedownFor2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Here's the thing though.... St. Paris Graham has beaten them before. They aren't unbeatable.

While you're right, they have way more advantages than most....
Old 01-15-19, 11:12 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucMurphy134 View Post
The argument that Blair should not compete or be ranked with state sanctioned High Schools, isn’t all that different from the argument that public schools in Ohio make about private schools like St. Eds.

Eds’ pulls in top level kids from all over NE Ohio- arguably the best wrestling area in the country- (and even further in some cases), because they’ve built something special over the years making it difficult for community built high school programs (non open enrollment) to compete with year after year. It is what it is… and good on Eds for building their strong tradition. Prep schools (Blair, WSem, LHP) pull in kids from all across the country for a good education, great alumni connecting, and great wrestling…

Tuition + R&B at Blair is north of $60k a year. They have an endowment rivaling many private colleges and I suspect most students including wrestlers are getting some kind of need based financial aid, but even with, parents are still paying a good chunk of cash to send their kids there.
Not to dismiss a valid discussion (it is), but nothing about high school and college athletics are fair. States and governing bodies claim to create even playing fields with divisions and the like, but they come far short. The private vs public disparity is just one example. I for one just dismiss Schools like Blair and Wy Sem when looking at the national level. Some do the same within the state of Ohio.
Old 01-15-19, 11:37 AM
All District

LucMurphy134 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProV1 View Post
Not to dismiss a valid discussion (it is), but nothing about high school and college athletics are fair. States and governing bodies claim to create even playing fields with divisions and the like, but they come far short. The private vs public disparity is just one example. I for one just dismiss Schools like Blair and Wy Sem when looking at the national level. Some do the same within the state of Ohio.
Very true, level playing field my a*s... look at the college football playoff situation for an example. Out of 130ish D1 programs...there are really only a handful of schools form a handful of conferences that are eligible to compete for a national title every year. The rich always get richer...
Old 01-15-19, 11:37 AM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
I don't want to sway from topic too bad but found it interesting there are states that it is against the rules to compete against National prep schools. A good friend's sons wrestled For Archer (Georgia) a few years back when they were nationally ranked top 10. They were extremely well traveled to find competition (beat Graham at GMVWA), yet was told couldn't go to Ironman, Beast etc. because of national prep schools competing according to GHSAA. I know they would have loved to competed in Ironman with a few Super 32 placers and a champ... And doubt it was lack of invite.

Same with Buford now (oh yeah, same coach that was at Archer and went to other open enrollment school in county)... On the other subject, coaching and program attracts talent, not recruite it
Old 01-16-19, 12:04 PM
All American

BobPreusse is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
Yeah and you have it in several sports. I don't know what the answer is. The rankers could limit their pool to HSs that are sanctioned by the state HS Assoc., but I think the rankers want to include the high profile programs - IMG in several sports, Oak Hill Academy in basketball, etc. In wrestling, the title of "national champs" is pretty much out of reach for a normal HS when Blair has half their starters from out of state.

"The rankers could limit their pool to HSs that are sanctioned by the state HS Assoc"

....Blair is "Sanctioned" by NJ state assn, i know that since we had an issue some years back when i was a director for the Walsh Ironman. --Blair is Not a Member though so no state tourn. Sanctioned as an Associate Member, as i recall, allows Blair to compete with member high schools, while abiding by member rules (only 4 years of eligibility, age limits, etc).

....Our issue that we resolved involved the Illinois assn director who initially wouldnt allow
Illinois teams to come to the Ironman because she thought Blair was not sanctioned by NJ.

....Blair had let some paperwork lapse, once they updated it and got the sanctioning from NJ we were all set, everything was fine. But for a while it was so serious- with the NFHS involved- we thought we might have to cancel the Ironman a few weeks prior to it. WHEW!
Old 01-16-19, 08:22 PM
Controller

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Or you just could have booted Blair for that year?
Old 01-17-19, 12:13 PM
All American

BobPreusse is on a distinguished road
true ... but we knew the case was winnable, why concede to bureaucrats when right is on our side? Ironman got to the top for a reason, on the backs of people who were committed to excellence & stayed the course.

it wouldnt have been the right thing to do, Blair was following the rules. Yes, Blair has a definite advantage, i know that. But private schools incl St Eds have an advantage too. ....Open enrollment public schools certainly have an advantage.

the individual Blair and st Eds kids dont have an advantage, they earn their ranking the old fashioned way just like the best public school kids do.

Blair earned their stature with coach Buxton starting in 1996. He built it and was their best advantage and that has carried on with coach Antonelli. .....just like St Eds had the advantage of the dynamic coach Ferguson who built it, followed by Urbas/Heffernan. Both schools now have the big advantage -- a history of excellence.