Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-12-19, 09:49 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
FC Cincinnati

Is anyone else excited for their inaugural MLS season? Their first match is at Seattle in just 2 and a half weeks.

The front office has worked hard to put a competitive roster together with lots of international talent.

Their new jerseys are pretty sharp too.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-19, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
They don't play Columbus till August? Lame
Old 02-12-19, 09:54 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
I am as I have season tickets. Nippert should be rocking for the opening game.

As an old fart I'm not as excited about the new uniforms. It just seems like a poor excuse to pick a mans wallet on a regular basis. Since I'm still wearing stuff I bought in year one I'm probably violating some kind of millennial fan rule if I go to this years games wearing the old "kit".

As an aside why the hell do they call it a "kit". There issn't anything other then clothes involved so just call it clothing for crying out loud. Oh and while I'm at it get off my freaking lawn!
Old 02-12-19, 09:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
While I'm in rant mode, and as a former season ticket holder for the Crew & current FCC season ticket holder, the MLS season is way to long. Opening game in mid March and the playoffs in October! Come on, that's a 7 month schedule. And it puts the MLS playoffs/championship games in October when America (me including) is focused on FOOTBALL - pro, college and heck even high school.

MLS would be better off to start in early April and end their season in mid September. But what do I know.
Old 02-12-19, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

Kit is the British term for sports uniform. Instead of jersey they call it a shirt. People who care about this stuff are annoying. They probably insist you call the field a pitch and do chants in a bad fake British accent
Old 02-12-19, 02:36 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
Hope they do well.
Old 02-12-19, 02:52 PM
All World

reporter07
Won't be a fan, but best wishes to them.
Old 02-12-19, 04:10 PM
All World

Irwin20 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Kit is the British term for sports uniform. Instead of jersey they call it a shirt. People who care about this stuff are annoying. They probably insist you call the field a pitch and do chants in a bad fake British accent
Never understood why we have to use the British terms in the USA. I've been watching my daughters play since they were 4 and one now plays at UC. I've never said kit or pitch but I have heard others use those terms at games. The "kit" thing kind of threw me.

Re. FC I'll probably go to a game or two I'm sure someone will give me some freebies. I'll have to look at their roster, have no idea who they acquired.
Old 02-12-19, 04:24 PM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irwin20 View Post
Never understood why we have to use the British terms in the USA. I've been watching my daughters play since they were 4 and one now plays at UC. I've never said kit or pitch but I have heard others use those terms at games. The "kit" thing kind of threw me.

Re. FC I'll probably go to a game or two I'm sure someone will give me some freebies. I'll have to look at their roster, have no idea who they acquired.
The nastiest email I ever got as a reporter ripped me for using the term field instead of pitch and team instead of side. Brought some LOLs.
Old 02-12-19, 05:09 PM
All World

BlackHawk is on a distinguished road
Quote:

A game does not end in a 0-0 tie, but a match might end in a nil-nil draw. A rocket shot has pace. England are good. Nice passes are clever...

… etc.
Old 02-12-19, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post
A game does not end in a 0-0 tie, but a match might end in a nil-nil draw. A rocket shot has pace. England are good. Nice passes are clever...

etc.
The only one of these FOREIGN descriptions that I've heard that I actually like is when a guy takes a terrible shot or makes a horrible pass the British announcer intones - "that was a bit ambitious".
Old 02-12-19, 07:56 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Worst decision ever. Having them a couple weeks apart is okay. But, they needed to be in May or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotr10 View Post
I am as I have season tickets. Nippert should be rocking for the opening game.

As an old fart I'm not as excited about the new uniforms. It just seems like a poor excuse to pick a mans wallet on a regular basis. Since I'm still wearing stuff I bought in year one I'm probably violating some kind of millennial fan rule if I go to this years games wearing the old "kit".

As an aside why the hell do they call it a "kit". There issn't anything other then clothes involved so just call it clothing for crying out loud. Oh and while I'm at it get off my freaking lawn!
Get used to it. Soccer teams switch kits on an almost annual basis. Little tweaks usually. But enough for fans to be able to tell they're not in the 'newest'.

Wait until they start premiering other clash kits and what not for special events (CCL, USOC, etc) just to make money on a one-time or short-time competition.

Quote:
While I'm in rant mode, and as a former season ticket holder for the Crew & current FCC season ticket holder, the MLS season is way to long. Opening game in mid March and the playoffs in October! Come on, that's a 7 month schedule. And it puts the MLS playoffs/championship games in October when America (me including) is focused on FOOTBALL - pro, college and heck even high school.

MLS would be better off to start in early April and end their season in mid September. But what do I know.
You have to realize that soccer, where it's madly popular, is the ONLY sport with a huge following. It's year-round there. Yeah, there's basketball and other sports, but it's akin to how we look at lacrosse or soccer. It's there. It's a sport. But it doesn't really hold our attention. US started with baseball, so shoehorning football into it and slowly over decades overtaking it isn't easy. And footballis mostly in the fall just because it's not baseball season. We're just used to most of our sports being rather short and don't mind the overlap since the end of one championship tournament usually puts you right into the heart of the next sports's title runs.

Quote:
The Eurosnobs or Europosers. Probably the worst part of following soccer. I get it if you're originally from a foreign country where soccer is huge, but it doesn't matter.

As for general terminology, since the Brits invented it, they get to make up the terms. Same reason American Football in Europe still uses 'yards', or curling uses a "hog line" because that's what the Canuckians call it. We're just used to sports that US created (Football, baseball, and basketball, and don't mind the slight oddities that Canadians came up with for ice hockey as we've essentially adopted it from them).
Old 02-13-19, 09:13 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post

You have to realize that soccer, where it's madly popular, is the ONLY sport with a huge following. It's year-round there. Yeah, there's basketball and other sports, but it's akin to how we look at lacrosse or soccer. It's there. It's a sport. But it doesn't really hold our attention. US started with baseball, so shoehorning football into it and slowly over decades overtaking it isn't easy. And footballis mostly in the fall just because it's not baseball season. We're just used to most of our sports being rather short and don't mind the overlap since the end of one championship tournament usually puts you right into the heart of the next sports's title runs.
I get this Sykotyk and it makes sense to me. BUT if MLS is going to work in the US & Canada it must shorten it's season so that it mainly goes up against baseball. In October football fever has taken hold and up in Canada hockey is on the horizon.

I'm a big soccer fan, was a season ticket holder for the Crew (7 years) and now for FCC, but I'm an even bigger football fan. IMO for MLS to grow it will need to tap into football fans during football's off season. My theory is that the in game soccer experience matches the football in game experience much better then baseball does. Even in a 1 - 0 game you can't help but notice that the outbursts of intense fan enthusiasm at Nippert better match the atmosphere in PBS in October then a Reds game in July.

To be clear, unless FCC is directly involved in the playoffs/championship games in late September & October I won't even pay attention as my eyes will be turned to football. I know others who attend FCC games regularly who would tell you the same thing.

IMO MLS would be better served starting their season in mid April (right after Baseball kicks off) and holding heir championship game in mid September (right after college & pro football have kicked off). That would be a 5 month season which would match the NFL.
Old 02-13-19, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
When a sponsorship is bigger than the team name/identity that is when it goes over the line.
Old 02-13-19, 10:49 AM
All District

TheJect is on a distinguished road
Those kits/shirts/unis are sharp!! Did I appease/offend everybody all at once?
Old 02-13-19, 12:01 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
When a sponsorship is bigger than the team name/identity that is when it goes over the line.
That was the first thing I noticed also, turned me off. Apparently, the advertisers don't belive so. Mercy Health making a big investment in sports in the guise of philanthropy.
Old 02-13-19, 12:07 PM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
Even in a 1 - 0 game you can't help but notice that the outbursts of intense fan enthusiasm at Nippert better match the atmosphere in PBS in October then a Reds game in July.
I wonder what things will be like when/if the Reds are very good in July. On a side note, I think baseball would be well served by offering less games.

Personally, I'd never pay to see a soccer game unless someone I was related to was playing. Hearing the atmosphere is anything like an NFL atmosphere just further confirms it.
Old 02-13-19, 12:09 PM
All World

reporter07
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
That was the first thing I noticed also, turned me off. Apparently, the advertisers don't belive so. Mercy Health making a big investment in sports in the guise of philanthropy.
Aren't most soccer jerseys around the world like that, though?
Old 02-13-19, 12:17 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by reporter07 View Post
Aren't most soccer jerseys around the world like that, though?
Yes. International Basketball is the same way. Heck, the NBA finally saw the light and added logos besides the Nike, Adidas, Reebook... (although they are small...for now).

I think Nascar might have ads on their cars. Maybe. LOL

It can be hard to buy a jersey of a team you support based on the ad. I picked my English team (Liverpool) because they had a beer ad (Carlsberg).
Old 02-13-19, 03:39 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Wonder how many people buy a jersey, I mean kit, just because of how it looks or what is says instead of actually liking the team.

I admit, I have two jerseys of African nations but they don't have the logo splashed all over it.
Old 02-13-19, 04:10 PM
All Yappi

National teams don't typically have sponsors
Old 02-13-19, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Why would anyone buy a Mercy Health jersey? Lol.
Old 02-13-19, 06:35 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
I've met a ton of Mercy Health fans.
Old 02-13-19, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

I love Mercy health - best colonoscopy in SW Ohio!
Old 02-13-19, 07:03 PM
All Yappi

ronnie mund can only hope to improve
It's every 10 years not once a week lotr.
Old 02-13-19, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Damn mercy health hooligans!
Old 02-13-19, 07:13 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund View Post
Old 02-14-19, 06:56 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enougheastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie mund
Old 02-14-19, 07:10 AM
All American

Zunardo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk View Post

etc.
One of my favorites is that you don't pull a hammy - instead you ping a string.

On second thought, I might be getting soccer mixed up with Australian rules football ...
Old 02-14-19, 08:08 AM
All District

Click image for larger version

Name:	bimbo-union-philadelphia.gif
Views:	10
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	2797

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: