Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 01-14-18, 10:23 AM
All Ohio

wdanforth
The State used to give you 3 snow days. Anything over 3 had to be made up, usually at the end of the school year. They did not call off often. A couple years back they changed it to kids had to be in school so many hours in the school year. With this new method the schools have a lot more days off available before they have to be made up at the end of the year. Now they don't think twice about cancelling school.
Old 01-14-18, 10:29 AM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Somewhat relevant, Kettering hosts Flyin to the Hoops tournament (Ironman of basketball) with 40 teams from all over the state and country this weekend, Friday-Monday. With level 1 and 2 emergency levels Friday, and all the warnings (yes, SW Ohio gets snow too)... Not one team cancelled to my knowledge. I have no point, just found it interesting.
Old 01-14-18, 11:00 AM
All Region

dion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
Somewhat relevant, Kettering hosts Flyin to the Hoops tournament (Ironman of basketball) with 40 teams from all over the state and country this weekend, Friday-Monday. With level 1 and 2 emergency levels Friday, and all the warnings (yes, SW Ohio gets snow too)... Not one team cancelled to my knowledge. I have no point, just found it interesting.
1)Basketball is considered a revenue sport. 2) Some administrators are very supportive and enthusiastic about the sport of wrestling. Unfortunately, there are
some administrators who not only don't have a clue, but they also don't give a rat's about the sport. I even know of one Superintendent that once said it wasn't a "Christian sport". LOL
Old 01-14-18, 11:12 AM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by innoshape View Post
Another good one: Chardon cancelled “winterfest” due to winter weather.

LMAO. Thankfully I was not taking a drink of coffee when I read this.

The biggest danger of driving during bad weather is usually not the weather itself or the condition of the roads, it's the idiots that think if the speed limit is 65mph, it means you can drive 65 no matter what the weather is like. They make it dangerous. You can drive on black ice if your tires are not worn out and you only go 30 mph. Did it Christmas night for 50 miles. Not a problem at all. And maintain a safe following distance. People just need to drive properly and not text how bad the roads are while driving on them...
Old 01-14-18, 12:59 PM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
LMAO. Thankfully I was not taking a drink of coffee when I read this.

The biggest danger of driving during bad weather is usually not the weather itself or the condition of the roads, it's the idiots that think if the speed limit is 65mph, it means you can drive 65 no matter what the weather is like. They make it dangerous. You can drive on black ice if your tires are not worn out and you only go 30 mph. Did it Christmas night for 50 miles. Not a problem at all. And maintain a safe following distance. People just need to drive properly and not text how bad the roads are while driving on them...
People driving 30 when you can safely do 50 is as dangerous as anything else as well.
Old 01-14-18, 02:42 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Rain followed by dropping temp and snow, it was a smart cancel. Level 2 and level 3 are not determined by school officials I would imagine.

Biz as normal with traffic numbers as normal and you have no traffic. Your kids would never have gotten to their tournaments, chances at least some, they'd been parked on the highway if not worse.
Old 01-15-18, 12:44 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
These schools are under contract and paid to play in the event. I'm not sure if it's still the same but it used to be that the cancelling school had to pay for the opposing teams finances. Outside of renting the Trent to the organizers, I don't believe Kettering is involved in any decision making.
Old 01-15-18, 01:08 AM
All Region

wrestling_fan_ is on a distinguished road
I absolutely hated not wrestling this weekend, but I also know that I would have hated it even more had we traveled to the tournament, got in a wreck on the way to it or on the way back home & ended an athlete's season just because we decided to push it!

Remember what is important in life!
Old 01-15-18, 08:49 AM
All American

eyes r burning is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling_fan_ View Post
I absolutely hated not wrestling this weekend, but I also know that I would have hated it even more had we traveled to the tournament, got in a wreck on the way to it or on the way back home & ended an athlete's season just because we decided to push it!

Remember what is important in life!
Wrestling
Old 01-15-18, 09:01 AM
All American

ProV1 is on a distinguished road
All HS, MS, and Youth Practices are canceled today Monday Jan. 15th due to road conditions.

Marysville wrestling needs to get tougher (:
Old 01-15-18, 09:40 AM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
These schools are under contract and paid to play in the event. I'm not sure if it's still the same but it used to be that the cancelling school had to pay for the opposing teams finances. Outside of renting the Trent to the organizers, I don't believe Kettering is involved in any decision making.

Hmmm, never thought of it that way, and it even makes it more interesting. I'm well aware that Kettering has no say in decision making, but the host of a wrestling tournament only decision is to cancel the entire tournament and none on teams attending. Which doesn't seem to be an issue. Where it gets interesting, is the financial aspect you spoke of. To attend or not to attend could be a four digit swing and money making and loss. The teams I'm referring to also are the ones Within busing distance. All attended. The top 2 ranked Dayton D1 teams were not attending because they scheduled a H2H same weekend (conference game) and it was post poned) did someone say something about Revenue???
Old 01-15-18, 10:53 AM
All District

FallOffCradle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
"Lighten up Francis", saying it's the tournaments fault if any one gets injured on the highways is just incorrect.
Not to add flame to fire, but in this current litigious climate, if a student is on their way to/from an event and is injured the ambulance chasers will go after anyone who is carrying the insurance (that is likely to result in a settlement for a monetary sum...) as a contributor to the cause/reason that the student was injured. I know I will get responses that will disagree with me but you just have to watch television for an hour or so to see solicitations to sue someone.

Old 01-15-18, 12:46 PM
All Ohio

Huge is on a distinguished road
Don't forgot how Mount Union had a crash in similar conditions and their team trainer was killed so... It's not about money or getting sued. It's common sense really. As they, SNOW happens.
Old 01-15-18, 03:37 PM
Freshman

Bill Dies MWT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion View Post
Might not be very popular, but all these tournament cancellations almost borders on mass hysteria. I believe in being proactive, but this is almost paranoia. Most of these events can't/won't be made up or rescheduled. Was that even taken into consideration. There has been weather where there isn't any other alternative, but to cancel. I sincerely question whether this weekend qualifies. JMHO
Believe me when I tell you, it was not an easy decision to cancel our tournament this past weekend but it was the right decision. We understand the impact that it had on the wrestlers, teams, Firestone HS & the community. This is the first wrestling event that the Dies Family has canceled in almost 40 years of doing events at Firestone. Yes, the storm was not what the "experts" predicted but we had schools dropping out Friday morning at a high rate.

We knew that we'd hear it from both sides when the decision was made. Everyone agrees though that it was the best decision to have the kids safety as the top priority. Ken said it best on Saturday "I have a pit in my stomach because we aren't having the tournament, but I'd be sick if a bus ended up in a ditch."