Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #1  
Old 05-23-17, 08:36 PM
222left 222left is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 04-10-11
Posts: 289
222left is on a distinguished road
NBC/EBC now short one team..

So South Range has voted to leave the EBC (after never playing a game) and join the Northeast Eight Conf. Who will replace them? Any chance the other NBC schools ask Louisville back in every sport but football? Seems to me that would be beat solution for all parties. Interesting turn of events
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-23-17, 11:38 PM
peebles peebles is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-15-09
Location: Appalachia
Posts: 567
peebles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222left View Post
So South Range has voted to leave the EBC (after never playing a game) and join the Northeast Eight Conf. Who will replace them? Any chance the other NBC schools ask Louisville back in every sport but football? Seems to me that would be beat solution for all parties. Interesting turn of events
Canal Fulton Northwest?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-24-17, 03:51 AM
aztecjim aztecjim is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-14-16
Posts: 80
aztecjim is on a distinguished road
What is the Northeast 8?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-24-17, 06:05 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecjim View Post
What is the Northeast 8?
7 schools are apparently leaving the All-American Conference. I figured a super-conference like AAC would break apart as fast as it was built.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-24-17, 06:07 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
The South Range Board of Education voted 4-1 on Tuesday to join Girard, Niles, Poland, Ashtabula Jefferson, Struthers, Hubbard and Lakeview in what will be called the North East Eight Athletic League.
...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-24-17, 06:50 AM
Stack Attack Stack Attack is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-12-14
Location: Canal Fulton Ohio
Posts: 532
Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebles View Post
Canal Fulton Northwest?
I would love to see this happen, however we will be joining the PAC in the fall.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-24-17, 06:51 AM
mrroosevelt mrroosevelt is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 05-13-10
Posts: 370
mrroosevelt is on a distinguished road
IMO. No way on Louisville. Alliance Review reports that Crestview is still possible interested. They appeared to be the front-runner for the spot before South Range jumped in with a late application for the EBC. St. Thomas Aquinas was also vetted.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-24-17, 06:55 AM
Football 101 Football 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 1,304
Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Northwest joins a league where two other league members are bordering them, another is just on the other side of their southern neighbor, two others are 20 minutes down the road

and they are at the top of the league enrollment wise.....don't see them leaving

as for the 7 EBC...I doubt they look to Louisville but event could lend time for schools to reevaluate their situation - I can think of a couple schools that should move with the LEPS and a couple others that should continue to look elsewhere.

and another note is Crestview is looking to join a different group that is forming from the AAC fallout - its right in the article on the other thread.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-24-17, 07:11 AM
Stack Attack Stack Attack is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-12-14
Location: Canal Fulton Ohio
Posts: 532
Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Here is what I don't understand about the whole NBC debacle. Was Louisville really that dominant in football? Most years yes, but look at Marlington they beat them last year...so its possible to beat them. Then there is the argument about "They are dominant, in all sports." Pretty sure Alliance has won the NBC in Basketball the past three years. Alliance also won it in Track this year. In Baseball West Branch was a Co-Champ with them.

Then there is my favorite argument of them all. "Louisville is too big for the NBC."

With the latest enrollment count, Alliance has 5 more boys then Louisville 337-332. Marlington is about 15 off of them as well. Is there a disparity between Minerva and Louisville now. Yes, but haven't they played every year since the early 20's? What about West Branch? They are the only school in the league to hoist a State Championship trophy and with the latest enrollment count they have a competitive advantage over any other school in the league because they have more open enrolled kids on their roster. What happened to the Branch having that competitive spirit?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-24-17, 07:19 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,630
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
The smaller EBC schools should add Crestview and maybe try and get Beaver Local or East Liverpool if not both. Alliance, Louisville, Marlington, and West Branch should join up with Canfield and Howland.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-17, 07:54 AM
Stack Attack Stack Attack is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 05-12-14
Location: Canal Fulton Ohio
Posts: 532
Stack Attack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
The smaller EBC schools should add Crestview and maybe try and get Beaver Local or East Liverpool if not both. Alliance, Louisville, Marlington, and West Branch should join up with Canfield and Howland.
I like that but here is the problem.

West Branch/Salem are essentially a package deal.
Marlington/Alliance same
Carrollton/Minerva same
Then you have South.

I don't think South would like to make trips to East Liverpool playing East Liverpool and Beaver Local, West Branch was apart of the lets kick louisville out of the NBC. So they would want be in a league were they feel like they are the big fish in a small pond. So going with Alliance and Marlington to play Canfield/Howland would never happen
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-17, 08:11 AM
BHSspartans13 BHSspartans13 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 09-27-06
Posts: 3,630
BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
It's frustrating in a way because those 6 schools are all D3 thanks to CBP and separated by less than 100 boys top to bottom from Howland to WB. And it's not like the Warriors are a total weakling in football. In my opinion the admins and school boards are getting far too picky about enrollment figures. A 1 division gap today isn't what it used to be.

The whole package deal thing is interesting. Isn't the gap between Salem and WB fairly large? They also coexisted in different leagues for years. Moreover, you see rivals like Canfield and Poland going separate ways, etc. Just because league affiliation may be different doesn't mean schools have to quit playing.

The bottom line is leagues will continue to be unstable in this area (Stark and Mahoning) as long as admins behave the way they are currently. They should take a page from the Fed and schools like Lake which despite large enrollment disparities remain incredibly stable.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-24-17, 08:35 AM
EagleFan's Avatar
EagleFan EagleFan is offline
Controller
 
Join Date: 03-03-02
Location: Ohio
Posts: 22,023
EagleFan has a spectacular aura aboutEagleFan has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
It's frustrating in a way because those 6 schools are all D3 thanks to CBP and separated by less than 100 boys top to bottom from Howland to WB. And it's not like the Warriors are a total weakling in football. In my opinion the admins and school boards are getting far too picky about enrollment figures. A 1 division gap today isn't what it used to be.
Exactly. With 7 divisions, maybe we are seeing more schools league shopping. If everyone focused on their A / AA / AAA designation maybe it would get better.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-24-17, 09:11 AM
NEOsportsfan09 NEOsportsfan09 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-25-13
Posts: 456
NEOsportsfan09 is on a distinguished road
This deserved to happen to these schools. You had the most stable conference in the area, but you decide to throw it away because instead of increasing your level of play and coaching, you didn't want to reach that level.

Crestview would be the wrong move. In terms of facilities, I would go with STA over Crestview. That may change in a year or two, but for now, Crestview's facilities are decent, but nowhere near South Range's facilities. As for the competitiveness of their teams, this is going to be a disaster for the conference. A lot of their programs are not up to par to play in the EBC. South Range had some sports that were comparable to Louisville in strength. Crestview doesn't have any that are up to that level.


I said this even before South Range was accepted as the 8th member, and I'll say it now. It will never happen, but the best fit for the EBC(other than Louisville) would be St Thomas Aquinas.

Only reason I would see Crestview not pull a "South Range" and go to the All-American Conference - Blue Tier, is that their superintendent is a long-time administrator from the West Branch school district.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-17, 09:20 AM
Football 101 Football 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 1,304
Football 101 is on a distinguished road
there are no more tiers to the AAC
schools in the one tier are making a new league
Crestview and South Range seem to be in the plans for the formation of the two new leagues sans the bigs

the EBC is now at 7 - I doubt SR would join leave and join back again in a matter of months but hey stranger things could happen so lets just say they are out.
Crestview will look to join the formation of the league with newton falls etc... closer to enrollment and closer in travel

so that leaves ST Thomas. Word is they have their smallest classes EVER and are D7

So D3 teams and D4 teams are going to add a D7 team??????

Wonder what the EBC is really looking for - someone they know they can beat right now in football???

Last edited by Football 101; 05-24-17 at 09:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-24-17, 09:33 AM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 19,264
Mr. Slippery will become famous soon enough
I think the EBC is stuck for now.

St. Thomas is now the size of Lake Center Christian, so they're not a viable option. Plus, St. Thomas' largest and most athletic class is graduating, so they will be even smaller next year.

Canton CC might be the EBC's best option for an 8th member, but I doubt they would be wanted, nor do I know if Canton CC would want to be in that league as the westernmost member of that arrangement. Also, I foresee St. Thomas and Canton CC merging within the next few years. With that on the back burner, it's unlikely that anyone will want that school in a league; regardless of the fact that a considerable amount of students would enroll elsewhere if the schools merge.

I don't see the EBC chipping 1 team off of such leagues as the PTC (ex. Field or Southeast), the Buckeye 8 (ex. Beaver or East Liverpool), or the EOAC (ex. United).

I also doubt the 7 schools will try to mend fences with Louisville. Would Louisville even want to come back? Beats me, but Louisville is also not blessed with many options right now.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-24-17, 10:05 AM
NEOsportsfan09 NEOsportsfan09 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 07-25-13
Posts: 456
NEOsportsfan09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I think the EBC is stuck for now.

St. Thomas is now the size of Lake Center Christian, so they're not a viable option. Plus, St. Thomas' largest and most athletic class is graduating, so they will be even smaller next year.

Canton CC might be the EBC's best option for an 8th member, but I doubt they would be wanted, nor do I know if Canton CC would want to be in that league as the westernmost member of that arrangement. Also, I foresee St. Thomas and Canton CC merging within the next few years. With that on the back burner, it's unlikely that anyone will want that school in a league; regardless of the fact that a considerable amount of students would enroll elsewhere if the schools merge.

I don't see the EBC chipping 1 team off of such leagues as the PTC (ex. Field or Southeast), the Buckeye 8 (ex. Beaver or East Liverpool), or the EOAC (ex. United).

I also doubt the 7 schools will try to mend fences with Louisville. Would Louisville even want to come back? Beats me, but Louisville is also not blessed with many options right now.
I didn't realize STA was getting that small. No chance Louisville kids would go to STA to play EBC schools that they used to play while at Louisville in the NBC?

Anyways, here's a very possible scenario in my opinion:

Like you say, the other two tiers in the AAC make their own leagues. They both need teams, and I think West Branch and Salem could be moved into the Youngstown leagues.

That now leaves Alliance, Canton South, Carrollton, Marlington, and Minerva looking for three teams. I could see Louisville inviting those schools back into the NBC and bring along New Philadelphia, Dover, and Canton CC(/STA if they merge). I can see either Minerva or Canton South joining the Principals Athletic Conference.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-24-17, 10:11 AM
bulldog1974 bulldog1974 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 05-06-07
Location: In a Negley cornfield
Posts: 2,693
bulldog1974 is on a distinguished road
Although an outsider, here is the current C-view schedule for 2017.

08/25 H Beloit West Branch
09/01 A Struthers
09/08 H Akron North
09/16 A Warren John F. Kennedy
09/23 A East Cleveland Shaw
09/29 H Canfield South Range
10/06 A New Martinsville Magnolia (WV)
10/13 A Kent Roosevelt
10/20 H Wintersville Indian Creek
10/27 H Stoneboro Lakeview (PA)

Are they able to compete, you be the judge, last season again they were beaten by local D5 and D6 teams in the ITCL.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-24-17, 10:15 AM
Football 101 Football 101 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-20-10
Posts: 1,304
Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOsportsfan09 View Post
I didn't realize STA was getting that small. No chance Louisville kids would go to STA to play EBC schools that they used to play while at Louisville in the NBC?

Anyways, here's a very possible scenario in my opinion:

Like you say, the other two tiers in the AAC make their own leagues. They both need teams, and I think West Branch and Salem could be moved into the Youngstown leagues.

That now leaves Alliance, Canton South, Carrollton, Marlington, and Minerva looking for three teams. I could see Louisville inviting those schools back into the NBC and bring along New Philadelphia, Dover, and Canton CC(/STA if they merge). I can see either Minerva or Canton South joining the Principals Athletic Conference.
I like what you are saying
however I don't see the PAC EVER EVER EVER EVER adding minerva due to proximity - and the PAC already balked at south for a football only Loudonville - not sure South would ever get the votes to join - your scenerio was a thought at one time with the NBC going tiers but nobody wanted to go into the tier with Louisville PHilly and Dover

LOL meaning Marlington and Alliance didn't want to LOL
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-24-17, 11:50 AM
ideliver ideliver is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 11-30-15
Posts: 424
ideliver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post

so that leaves ST Thomas. Word is they have their smallest classes EVER and are D7

So D3 teams and D4 teams are going to add a D7 team??????

Wonder what the EBC is really looking for - someone they know they can beat right now in football???
Any Catholic school that leaves a Catholic league for a public league is CRAZY...

STA has competed well in the NCL white division...It's not like they are the only D7 school in the conference.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-24-17, 12:05 PM
simkon simkon is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,386
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHSspartans13 View Post
The smaller EBC schools should add Crestview and maybe try and get Beaver Local or East Liverpool if not both. Alliance, Louisville, Marlington, and West Branch should join up with Canfield and Howland.
Canfield and Marlington apparently mutually won't play each other though over something that happened a long time ago, in fact they haven't played in the regular season in any sport since. Canfield and West Branch have a long history though and Canfield has also played Alliance and Louisville quite a bit.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-24-17, 12:05 PM
Spread All Day Spread All Day is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-25-11
Location: The valley
Posts: 6,807
Spread All Day is on a distinguished road
Is Canfield too big for this league? Would they be like Louisville?
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-24-17, 12:11 PM
simkon simkon is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,386
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The whole package deal thing is interesting. Isn't the gap between Salem and WB fairly large? They also coexisted in different leagues for years. Moreover, you see rivals like Canfield and Poland going separate ways, etc. Just because league affiliation may be different doesn't mean schools have to quit playing.
As an aside, Canfield also has a long history with Salem not to mention they used to be in the MAC, anyways like I said before don't be surprised if Canfield and Poland stop playing on account of this... it seems like that is the most probable course of action for both schools.



Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-24-17, 12:20 PM
simkon simkon is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,386
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOsportsfan09 View Post
Like you say, the other two tiers in the AAC make their own leagues. They both need teams, and I think West Branch and Salem could be moved into the Youngstown leagues.
The Northeast 8 already has its 8 teams. And West Branch and Salem are too big for the other league and I doubt they would want to be in a league with Canfield and Howland and the rest of what is left from the AAC (Boardman, Austintown, Harding, East).



Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-24-17, 12:25 PM
simkon simkon is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,386
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread All Day View Post
Is Canfield too big for this league? Would they be like Louisville?
Louisville and Canfield are about the same size and probably just as competitive all around but maybe not quite as good in football and Canfield would be quite a bit East of all the other schools. Plus Marlington and Canfield don't like each other for some reason, but they may be willing to put it behind them since it happened so long ago. The league might have no choice but Crestview and that is if they don't join up with the small teams from the AAC.

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-24-17, 12:31 PM
kingpin2010 kingpin2010 is online now
All World
 
Join Date: 01-27-10
Location: McDonald, OH
Posts: 4,868
kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
I don't see Crestview joining this league. They were interested before because they didn't have many options. They'll join the smaller AAC remnants as is already being reported.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-24-17, 05:38 PM
Lynus24 Lynus24 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-22-10
Posts: 1,142
Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Too early to tell how this effects Louisville, if it even effects them at all. Common sense and the easy solution for the 7 is to find a replacement that fits their agenda. My opinion is that Louisville is not the choice that fits their agenda. There may be a slight possibility that a couple schools consider defecting from the rest, but it's slim. I caution all leopard posters/readers/fans to not get caught up in some of the "dream league" jibberish that is already going around. If Alliance and Marlington left Louisville to go with the other 5....and you think their going to join a league with Massillon and Boardman you might belong in assisted living. I do hope our administration is looking at any possible way this could alleviate our predicament, and I hope everybody else gets out of the way and let's them do their jobs.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-24-17, 05:47 PM
simkon simkon is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-27-11
Posts: 1,386
simkon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
and you think their going to join a league with Massillon and Boardman you might belong in assisted living.
Where is Massillon coming from? Who ever said anything about Massillon?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-24-17, 06:24 PM
Lynus24 Lynus24 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-22-10
Posts: 1,142
Lynus24 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by simkon View Post
Where is Massillon coming from? Who ever said anything about Massillon?
Nobody on here, but the dream league people in Louisville are already putting their fictional league together and it includes Massillon Boardman Philly Dover Alliance Marlington and Louisville

Unfortunately yappi isn't the only game in town for information
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-25-17, 01:00 AM
Bluestreakoffice Bluestreakoffice is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-18-09
Posts: 1,649
Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynus24 View Post
Nobody on here, but the dream league people in Louisville are already putting their fictional league together and it includes Massillon Boardman Philly Dover Alliance Marlington and Louisville

Unfortunately yappi isn't the only game in town for information
Are they really talking this idea for a league? Marlington, Alliance, Philly, and Dover would not be able to stay with Boardman in football...then have Massillon too. Louisville saw what it is like to play Fitch. This league if it did get put together wouldn't last long in football.....let alone the travel...Boardman going to Philly and Dover and vice versa....that would be one long ride.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team Ohio Junior Olympic Team Open Weights Bigthrow45 Wrestling 5 05-24-17 08:44 PM
All Region and All State Team Predictions Brambleberry Boys Volleyball 45 05-24-17 04:13 PM
Team Camps for all ages! hawkeyan201064 Tournaments looking for teams, open tournaments, wrestling camps/clubs, etc. 0 05-03-17 11:29 AM
Team Camps for all ages! hawkeyan201064 Wrestling 0 05-03-17 11:28 AM
14U catcher frm Louisvill Looking for a team ratterbox Baseball 0 05-01-17 06:39 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.