Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Major League Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-21-19, 06:41 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
I don't have any answers because I refuse to believe that he's "done" as some have suggested.
If nothing else, it would be almost unprecedented to have this type of drop from one year to another without a major injury in sports history.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-19, 07:20 AM
All World

Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
If nothing else, it would be almost unprecedented to have this type of drop from one year to another without a major injury in sports history.
Given that the entire team has experienced a similar drop, one has to wonder if it isn't Turner Ward and the hitting philosophy.
Old 05-21-19, 07:36 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiandad View Post
Given that the entire team has experienced a similar drop, one has to wonder if it isn't Turner Ward and the hitting philosophy.
I honestly think hitting coaches in the bigs are over rated and I doubt he is the reason why the reds bats are slumping.

Any coach worth anything isn't going to change a thing for hitters who are successful. When hitters get into a slump, sure a hitting coach can help the hitter diagnose maybe what he is doing wrong.

But come the big league level.........I don't buy a new hitting coach as the reason why the reds aren't hitting. You really think Votto, who struggled last year as well, is going to be told by a HC a different way and philosophy of hitting?

This isn't like the edict the Dragons had, from above, years ago that they HAD to take the first pitch and the other teams knew it. It was to teach patience but all it did was get hitters into a 0-1 hole especially when opposing pitchers knew what they were doing. THAT sort of thing, which I don't believe was the HC's idea, can fubar the bats!
Old 05-21-19, 07:57 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
I honestly think hitting coaches in the bigs are over rated and I doubt he is the reason why the reds bats are slumping.

Any coach worth anything isn't going to change a thing for hitters who are successful. When hitters get into a slump, sure a hitting coach can help the hitter diagnose maybe what he is doing wrong.

But come the big league level.........I don't buy a new hitting coach as the reason why the reds aren't hitting. You really think Votto, who struggled last year as well, is going to be told by a HC a different way and philosophy of hitting?

This isn't like the edict the Dragons had, from above, years ago that they HAD to take the first pitch and the other teams knew it. It was to teach patience but all it did was get hitters into a 0-1 hole especially when opposing pitchers knew what they were doing. THAT sort of thing, which I don't believe was the HC's idea, can fubar the bats!
Do we know what Ward is telling them?
Old 05-21-19, 08:01 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You really believe those who have been successful MLB hitters are going to change what they are doing because of a new hitting coach?

They aren't going to change their approach if they have been successful hitters.
Old 05-21-19, 08:11 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
I find it funny that a few folks on here want to proclaim player's careers are "done" because they had a bad stretch of 6 weeks. Over-reaction IMO.

Until Father Time diminishes a players' physical capability, I will continue to believe guys like Votto, Peraza, Puig, etc. will start to perform like their normal stats over many years. 6 weeks is nothing in baseball.
Old 05-21-19, 08:20 AM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
You really believe those who have been successful MLB hitters are going to change what they are doing because of a new hitting coach?

They aren't going to change their approach if they have been successful hitters.
Yep. At this level (in fact, I would argue from mostly high school and above), hitting coaches don't "tell" them anything. These guys all know how to hit. They've been excellent hitters since they were 5 years old.

The coach is there to provide suggestions and certainly spend time reviewing things, if asked, and to keep players' confidence in themselves.

Coach Ward has a good track record....but if the team remains at the bottom of MLB in hitting, he might not be at fault but he will almost certainly be the sacrificial lamb.
Old 05-21-19, 10:27 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
You proclaimed he might be at fault a few times now. Sounds like you have no idea.
Old 05-21-19, 02:12 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
There's no evidence at all that Peraza "doesn't hit well enough". If you expect the Reds to field a .300 hitter at every position, you're out of your mind.
Ghost, you obviously don't know my "eye" test. We've seen Jose now on and off for what 3 seasons? I don't think it's going to get much better, and he's an average defensive shortstop at best.
I don't expect a .300 batter in every spot, but I do expect quality at bats and hopefully an on base % of at least .320. Am i asking too much?
Old 05-21-19, 02:24 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
You proclaimed he might be at fault a few times now. Sounds like you have no idea.
I have no idea what Ward tells the players, correct. I'm not in the clubhouse.

I do think it is fair to wonder what is going on when the entire team is in a 2 month long slump.

At what point do you start to say it is more than just a slump?
Old 05-21-19, 02:45 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ghost, you obviously don't know my "eye" test. We've seen Jose now on and off for what 3 seasons? I don't think it's going to get much better, and he's an average defensive shortstop at best.
I don't expect a .300 batter in every spot, but I do expect quality at bats and hopefully an on base % of at least .320. Am i asking too much?
You're not asking enough. A .320 OBP is pretty "meh".

It certainly won't win championships.
Old 05-21-19, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
320 probably wasn’t a coincidence, as Billy’s single season career high obp is 321.
Old 05-21-19, 05:30 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

I do think it is fair to wonder what is going on when the entire team is in a 2 month long slump.

So are you suggesting they fire him?
Old 05-21-19, 08:42 PM
All American

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Oh, please settle down.
Yes, several players are performing poorly, but to say it's the "entire team" is simply not factually accurate. The fact that you are (and I think you would admit) overstating this obviously leads one to conclude that you are definitely making a statement that Coach Ward is at fault here.

Let's face it. NONE of us, including you, know why Votto, Barnhart, Puig, Peraza, and Winker are hitting below their career averages. However, others are doing quite well, like Suarez, Iglesias, Casali, Dietrich, and Farmer. Some are doing poorly; some are doing quite well.

Why is that? You admit that you have no idea. I don't think any of the rest of us do either.
But if you want to keep focusing on the hitting coach, then -- like I said -- he'll be the sacrificial lamb (much to Puig's disappointment):https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video/1018282051624

Last edited by Monclova Steve; 05-21-19 at 09:14 PM..
Old 05-22-19, 04:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
So are you suggesting they fire him?
No.
Old 05-22-19, 04:39 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
Oh, please settle down.
Yes, several players are performing poorly, but to say it's the "entire team" is simply not factually accurate. The fact that you are (and I think you would admit) overstating this obviously leads one to conclude that you are definitely making a statement that Coach Ward is at fault here.

Let's face it. NONE of us, including you, know why Votto, Barnhart, Puig, Peraza, and Winker are hitting below their career averages. However, others are doing quite well, like Suarez, Iglesias, Casali, Dietrich, and Farmer. Some are doing poorly; some are doing quite well.

Why is that? You admit that you have no idea. I don't think any of the rest of us do either.
But if you want to keep focusing on the hitting coach, then -- like I said -- he'll be the sacrificial lamb (much to Puig's disappointment):https://www.foxsports.com/mlb/video/1018282051624
Other than Iglesias, who is only 20 points above his career average and 60 points above his career OPS, no one else on this team is above their career average and
OPS.
I'm not sure how you can say "they are doing quite well".

All I asked was what role the hitting coach played in that. It is a fair question and one that should be asked.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: