Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins?
Saints 5 55.56%
Rams 4 44.44%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-19, 10:59 PM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Nothing will be done about the refs until either the Patriots or Cowboys get screwed out of a championship.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-19, 07:31 AM
All World

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
No, I dont think they are full time. I believe SOME are, but most arent There has been talk of it, but they aren't at this time. They make great money per game, but most have regular jobs.
NFL refs get paid very well : http://time.com/money/4200441/nfl-re...id-super-bowl/

I have no doubt next year PI will be reviewable, not a big fan of reviews, esp. reviewing PI, their is PI on a lot of passing plays, going to make it very difficult on db's. Why not hold the officials more accountable ?
Old 01-22-19, 08:58 AM
All World

Bballer05
i don't think they're gonna make judgement calls like PI reviewable for next season. they're just gonna find a way to train officials better.

i do think they will change the OT to both teams getting a possession even if first team scores a TD. that seems to make the most sense.
Old 01-22-19, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

Article on refs and Browns this year.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/sport...bout-that.html
Old 01-22-19, 10:39 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
In the Canadian league they allow coaches to challenge PI.

If they do put this in the NFL, will they be shortsighted and make a play like this one not reviewable because nothing was called?

One would think a coach could challenge the play to say there was PI. If that is not added, the rule could be worthless.

I almost think that if PI is called, it will be very hard pressed to get it reversed because by the letter of the rule there is PI very often on passes especially downfield on the sideline.

I think NE got jobbed on one PI call late in the game. By the letter of the rule, yeah it probably was (hence if NE could challenge it would be upheld) but in the grand scheme of the game it was very ticky tack and much more was allowed on many other pass plays.

I almost believe that they HAVE to allow NON PI calls to be reviewed as this is where you will see the more changes in calls.
Old 01-22-19, 12:10 PM
All Yappi

BR1986FB is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
NFL refs get paid very well : http://time.com/money/4200441/nfl-re...id-super-bowl/

I have no doubt next year PI will be reviewable, not a big fan of reviews, esp. reviewing PI, their is PI on a lot of passing plays, going to make it very difficult on db's. Why not hold the officials more accountable ?
Thoughts?

The MMQB✔@theMMQB

After Sunday’s officiating debacle, the league must adopt Bill Belichick’s idea to make all plays reviewable, and streamline replay technology. @AlbertBreer on the fallout from championship weekend, and what comes next:http://go.si.com/p5emjQC

8:30 AM - Jan 21, 2019
Old 01-22-19, 12:45 PM
All Yappi

How many titles would be subtracted from Belichick's total if his proposal had been implemented several years ago?
Old 01-22-19, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

arizonawildcat will become famous soon enough
Has the ref who didn't make the PI call ever been named? Has the NFL fired him? Is he being investigated to see if he or his relatives had any money riding on a Rams win? I'm being serious here.
Old 01-22-19, 02:10 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat View Post
Has the ref who didn't make the PI call ever been named? Has the NFL fired him? Is he being investigated to see if he or his relatives had any money riding on a Rams win? I'm being serious here.
really there are like 3 refs who saw it and could've thrown the flag.
Old 01-22-19, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I heard Cris Collinsworth on with Dan Patrick yesterday and he explained that each receiver has an official whose responsibility it is to watch that single receiver. As such, it is plausible no other official saw it.

In any event, professional sports are well behind the times in implementing technology. There's no reason with the dozens of TV cameras on a game like of that magnitude that an obvious error like that can't be drawn to the attention of the referee and remedied.
Old 01-25-19, 01:11 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
On one of the talk shows, they mentioned a congressman is arguing on the floor about this call. Kind of crazy.

I understand that the Saints are upset but it wasn't like this was the final play of the game. Even if they get that call, there would have been 6-7 more plays in the game. Bad snaps, turnovers, and penalties could have created a different result. Rams would have gotten the ball back with around 15 seconds left.

I don't ever want to see a game overturned by the commissioners office but if it ever happens, it needs to be based on the last play of the game where the win/loss would be flipped. An example that some point to is the Ohio State/Miami game (even though I disagree with them.)
Old 01-25-19, 01:44 PM
All World

Bballer05
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I heard Cris Collinsworth on with Dan Patrick yesterday and he explained that each receiver has an official whose responsibility it is to watch that single receiver. As such, it is plausible no other official saw it.

In any event, professional sports are well behind the times in implementing technology. There's no reason with the dozens of TV cameras on a game like of that magnitude that an obvious error like that can't be drawn to the attention of the referee and remedied.
i also read/saw that when the formation changed (meaning the offense motioned or whatever) then the refs duties actually change based on the formation (meaning who watches who) and whatever ref had Kamara out of the backfield had changed because of the pre-snap motion, and that guy couldn't get down the line fast enough to see the play.

interesting.

makes you understand how tough it actually is to ref in this league.

any one of us can see this stuff from our 50" HD tv's when we're given super slo-mo replays at 4 different angles.

a lot harder in real time.