Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-10-18, 05:24 PM
All Region

runohio is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to Terry Oerhtman, his staff and all of the coaches and runners

A month ago Terry and his staff had to come up with a new course at National Trails as the western part of the course would not be able to be used. Then with a heavy rain the week of the States and nearly 15 inches of rain above normal for Central Ohio the Championships was postponed for a week due to an unusable course. With more rain the day before the Championships he and his staff had to create another new course. - Which I might say was the best course yet for National Trails as the athletes ran in front of the grandstands twice before finishing in front of the grandstands. The course was soft and it was a little cold, but in my opinion it was a Great Day for the Championships.

Congratulations to Terry and his staff and all of the runners who raced today.

Last edited by runohio; 11-10-18 at 05:39 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-18, 05:57 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
They seemed to have made the right call. Course was fine. Driving home I had to go along the back and that loop they didn't use looked pretty good. Still can't see enough of the course IMO. Sell $20 tickets to get all course access. Today also proved that times mean nothing. Did not take away from the day or entertainment that the times were slower than usual.
Old 11-10-18, 08:27 PM
All District

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
I too thought the course was a better layout. better than the last few years and better than the new course. Very similar to one i was going to propose...except mine would have been a shorter first loop (similar to the 2nd loop today) and then go to the longer loop. I think I like the way they did it today better as most in the stands could see almost the entire last mile.
Note: the only reason to do the longer loop last would be so no really fast kids would "lap" (or pass) a kid who may be a mile behind the leaders...if a team had a kid running 23-24minutes (for boys), or 27+ (for girls) they may be coming down that stretch after the 3200 as the top kids are finishing....but that would be rare for the state meet.

Last edited by ENA2; 11-11-18 at 01:35 PM..
Old 11-10-18, 08:35 PM
All District

ENA2 is on a distinguished road
AND... Terry Oerhtman and his crew did a great job. Thank you.
Old 11-11-18, 12:05 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Random thoughts:

Given the weather and the obvious flaws that the weather exposed in the current facility, I thought Saturday went as well as could be expected. I was not disappointed.

Postponing the meet a week took guts (or possibly brains which are often overlooked in these situations). Changing the course again on Fri. morning took guts. On Fri, I ran the section that was removed. I thought they could've left it in, but I'm glad they didn't. This version was much more spectator friendly. I'd pick the layout used on Saturday any time over the one that was Plan A up until Thursday morning.

That said, I don't know that we would ever want to be in a position to have to postpone the meet again (short of a historically bad weather or human event. 1-2 inches of rain the week of the meet does not qualify as historic in my book.)

Also, I wish they could find a way to link the starter to the PA system, so that fans could have a better idea of when each race was going to start. I was maybe 75m away from the starter at the beginning of the boys DI race and still had no idea that the gun had just been fired.

I agree with psycho_dad regarding the role of times in the competition. Winning times were better than I expected after running the course on Fri, but I wasn't giving the times much thought while I was watching races. I was more focused on seeing some runners fighting to get All-Ohio or watching the runners from my area and seeing that some were beating others who they hadn't beaten all year.
Old 11-11-18, 11:51 AM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Terry is a great man and truly loves the sport.

Overall,
(1) OHSAA should ponder pushing the state meet back 1 week and the entire season permanently. I like the colder weather and sloppy course. Soccer and volleyball state tournament ended this week. Football still has weeks left. Another week just adds some cold weather and nostalgia IMO.
(2) the first 500 straight away can hold a lot and not get ruined. The first 500 and the repeated after the woods was the best footing on the course.
(3) the hay in the woods helped
(4) this race me reminded the most of what Scioto Downs was usually. Scioto Downs was always a little sloppy and muddy. The times reflected this and the best XC runners did well on Saturday.
(5) The Z shaped turn around the 1600 mark could be changed. I think that sharp turn that early is too much. The race could've gone straight. It was not needed.
(6) Fans enjoyed the race.
(7) No other facility and NOT even Scioto Downs can do what NT Raceway has done for the sport. The campers, the tents, the stands, the course and the entire atmosphere is perfect in my opinion.

I know this is contrary to many complainers, but MUD, water and a little snow helps the sport. Much more fun to see muddy legs, shoes and uniforms afterwards. And I liked that the spectators had some discomfort. I liked to seeing AD's, principals, mom, dad, and relatives all cold and suffering a little. It reminds me of the true nature of the sport.....an active spectator sport.

If they keep this the permanent course (some luxury items to make it even better):
(1) PA system throughout the course
(2) Cameras throughout the course
(3) Bring in a portable big screen for spectators to view

Last edited by EuclidandViren; 11-11-18 at 04:08 PM..
Old 11-11-18, 02:58 PM
All Region

a few pictures - http://runohio.com/index.php/feature...-championships
Old 11-11-18, 04:26 PM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Terry is a great man and truly loves the sport.

Overall,
(1) OHSAA should ponder pushing the state meet back 1 week and the entire season permanently. I like the colder weather and sloppy course. Soccer and volleyball state tournament ended this week. Football still has weeks left. Another week just adds some cold weather and nostalgia IMO.
(2) the first 500 straight away can hold a lot and not get ruined. The first 500 and the repeated after the woods was the best footing on the course.
(3) the hay in the woods helped
(4) this race me reminded the most of what Scioto Downs was usually. Scioto Downs was always a little sloppy and muddy. The times reflected this and the best XC runners did well on Saturday.
(5) The Z shaped turn around the 1600 mark could be changed. I think that sharp turn that early is too much. The race could've gone straight. It was not needed.
(6) Fans enjoyed the race.
(7) No other facility and NOT even Scioto Downs can do what NT Raceway has done for the sport. The campers, the tents, the stands, the course and the entire atmosphere is perfect in my opinion.

I know this is contrary to many complainers, but MUD, water and a little snow helps the sport. Much more fun to see muddy legs, shoes and uniforms afterwards. And I liked that the spectators had some discomfort. I liked to seeing AD's, principals, mom, dad, and relatives all cold and suffering a little. It reminds me of the true nature of the sport.....an active spectator sport.

If they keep this the permanent course (some luxury items to make it even better):
(1) PA system throughout the course
(2) Cameras throughout the course
(3) Bring in a portable big screen for spectators to view
Given the importance of NXR to the top teams and individuals in the sport, it does not make sense to push back the state meet one week on a permanent basis. And it's possible to get yesterday's conditions in the first weekend of November too.
Old 11-11-18, 05:31 PM
All American

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post
Given the importance of NXR to the top teams and individuals in the sport, it does not make sense to push back the state meet one week on a permanent basis. And it's possible to get yesterday's conditions in the first weekend of November too.
If Ohio changes the state meet the NXR and Nike will change the date.
They base the regionals off of the state meets and sometimes/predominately Footlocker dates in the past.

Nike is in a war to win this race with Footlocker. With the NCAA XC Regionals it actually works out for the better IMO. With Terre Haute being second fiddle in the NCAA's the next couple of years this is the right move for everyone involved.

Remember cross country is a winter sport for most of the world. With the world championship being held in the past in February.
Old 11-11-18, 07:56 PM
All World

There is a situation that happens to me every year at NTR that is just perplexing. I come in from the NE through Granville. I get to the facility and am forced to use the parking lot on that side of the grandstands. This year was the same, but new parking area by the plane runway. Then, like every single year, they force us to exit and go West. It's been every year. They will not let us go back the way we came in. They hold up traffic and it's an easy left turn, but the Sheriff or State Highway patrolman very aggressively refuses anyone to turn that way and forces us to add 15-20 min to our drive home. Do they let anyone go east? Am I just unlucky and happen to leave every year in a cycle when they are making everyone go west?

I would like to thank the person, probably from Hudson, that just had to pass me while I was going 10 MPH over the speed limit and then pass a guy in front of me, and then slow down and hold us all up for 40 miles. Nice move. I would also like to thank the people in front of me at the ticket line that did not have their stuff together and added 5 min to that process. Because of the change in date, I had to do some work first thing and then leave at 9:30 to get there for the D2 Boys. The gun went off while I was in the ticket line. (For over 5 min) I have not kept up with running over the years and it nearly killed me running across the parking lot. I caught the leaders just as they left the back part of the dragstrip and dropped down behind it. But I did better than the parents that had to miss it all together because they arranged their entire schedule around last weekend and were out of the country.

Also, very disappointed in (I assume the Granville Girls do this every year) not seeing the signs heading into Granville for all their runners. I look forward to that every year and all I saw was a couple of Football signs which I do not get enjoyment from. Let's remedy that next year.
Old 11-11-18, 08:39 PM
Varsity

Percidae is on a distinguished road
Also, very disappointed in (I assume the Granville Girls do this every year) not seeing the signs heading into Granville for all their runners. I look forward to that every year and all I saw was a couple of Football signs which I do not get enjoyment from. Let's remedy that next year.[/QUOTE]

See runohio's post three posts up. The signs shown in his pictures are your missing signs. Only one set of signs this year. You should have seen them going south out of town as they appear to be posted right across from the Certified gas station.

http://runohio.com/index.php/feature...-championships
Old 11-11-18, 09:05 PM
Freshman

CatchKokopelli is on a distinguished road
Signs in Granville

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post

Also, very disappointed in (I assume the Granville Girls do this every year) not seeing the signs heading into Granville for all their runners. I look forward to that every year and all I saw was a couple of Football signs which I do not get enjoyment from. Let's remedy that next year.
Allegedly Granville is a football school now. It was all the rage that they won a playoff game and just normal that some runners were in a state meet.
Old 11-11-18, 09:43 PM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The signs have been used for the Aces boys and girls runners since the early years at Scioto Downs. It was always a plus for our kids going to run the course on Friday and again Saturday.
Old 11-12-18, 07:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Life View Post
The signs have been used for the Aces boys and girls runners since the early years at Scioto Downs. It was always a plus for our kids going to run the course on Friday and again Saturday.
I assumed it was the girls that made them. Can hardly count on boys for something like that. I really missed them as I came into town. I honestly missed them going out of town. I'll pay more attention next year. It's the little things in life. Let the kids know that people do notice. It gives me hope that I'm going to get to my destination and all is good in the world. The signs in the pictures are not the same hand crafted heart felt signs I've come to expect. I want the signs that took all night to make and where each has it's own personal touch.
Old 11-12-18, 08:08 AM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run4Life View Post
Quote:
I assumed it was the girls that made them. Can hardly count on boys for something like that. I really missed them as I came into town. I honestly missed them going out of town. I'll pay more attention next year. It's the little things in life. Let the kids know that people do notice. It gives me hope that I'm going to get to my destination and all is good in the world. The signs in the pictures are not the same hand crafted heart felt signs I've come to expect. I want the signs that took all night to make and where each has it's own personal touch.
I was in Granville visiting my parents on the Thursday Nov. 1 and saw a bunch of the hand crafted signs. I am guessing maybe that the moving of the date (and the rain) may have interfered psychodad. Run4life, I remember a couple of signs from the early 90s. Still have a picture of one or two somewhere.
Old 11-12-18, 09:29 AM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I assumed it was the girls that made them. Can hardly count on boys for something like that.
See, I would think it's the job of the school's cheerleaders to make signs and decorations like that, but what do I know? At my kids' school, the parents of the athletes do stuff like this. I told my cheerleader daughter it should be her job.
Old 11-12-18, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

Run4Life is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
See, I would think it's the job of the school's cheerleaders to make signs and decorations like that, but what do I know? At my kids' school, the parents of the athletes do stuff like this. I told my cheerleader daughter it should be her job.
Actually they were mostly parents, family members and friends.

Mathking, I remember stopping the bus on Friday on way over to let pictures be taken.
Old 11-12-18, 08:17 PM
All Region

Check out RUNOHIOs article - http://runohio.com/index.php/news/15...-championships