Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-19-18, 09:29 PM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
Ugly win

Not much to celebrate tonight’s win.
Too many penalties.
I really hating our game plans and I have a bad feeling for the playoffs.
Maybe we can ginf some magic.
Old 10-19-18, 11:15 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
I must agree with just about all of jimbo's sentiments. Solon beat Shaker Heights 20-7 in a game that was so sloppy, so penalty-filled and so poorly-executed, that it felt more like a loss than a win. And that's a shame, because the Comets are now 8-1 and hold a share of first place in the Greater Cleveland Conference, thanks to Mentor's domination of Euclid. Solon has also clinched a berth in the D1 state playoffs. The triumph over Shaker, plus level 2 help from Mentor, Aurora, Twinsburg, Stow and Strongsville, has moved Solon to second in the R1 Harbin race.

The Comet offense looked flat from the get-go. Solon did nothing on its first two possessions. Then Greg Parries blocked a Red Raider punt to give the Comets the ball at the Shaker two-yard line. One play later, Khalil Eichelberger burst into the end zone, giving Solon a 6-0 lead.

Solon got into a good rhythm in the second period. The Comets mounted a drive, reaching the red zone on a screen pass to Jeff Barnett that went for a big gain. Then QB Patrick McQuaide connected with WR Sam Bubonics on a 15-yard fade for a TD to make the score 13-0. Later in the second quarter, McQuaide found Trevon Raphael on a deep post. The 52-yard score gave Solon a 20-0 lead at the half.

The second half deteriorated into a penalty party. Solon lost all its offensive momentum but why not? It's impossible to develop any rhythm when a penalty is called on almost every play. Solon may have set an all-time record tonight for most penalties called. Fifteen? Seventeen? Maybe more than that. So many I lost track. Most of them were holding calls. Every time a Comet runner turned a corner, a flag followed him. Solon spent the entire second half seemingly in third-and-20. Shaker also got flagged plenty, though not nearly as much as Solon. Most of their calls were for chippy stuff: unsportsmanlike conduct, late hits.

It's not as if Solon's running game got shut down. Eichelberger, Barnett and McQuaide all had some decent runs. But most every one came back. Once Solon got the lead, they felt no urgency to pass the ball. So they didn't accomplish much in the passing game, though it's still an area of the team that needs work. Solon hardly passed at all after the TD to Raphael.

The only thing that made this game remotely watchable was the outstanding performance by Solon's defense. This contest became a personal highlight reel for Nate Leskovec, who gave perhaps the most dominating performance I've ever seen from a Comet defensive lineman. He was fast, he was furious, and he pretty much destroyed the Shaker offense all by himself. He had at least 10 TFL. When Shaker did get positive yardage, he ran ballcarriers down. He pressured the Raider QB on every pass and he sacked him at least four times. He also blocked a punt. Nate is the best defensive lineman I've ever seen at Solon, and that covers 55 years. Yes, he's even better than Darryl Baldwin. And Nate Hoff. And that's not a knock on those two, because they were special.

When I wrote that Nate did it singlehandedly, I exaggerated a little. He had help. The Comets got standout performances from David Marbury and Yusef Russell on the line; Nate Miller and Jeff Barnett at LB and Grant McCurry and Idris Ervin in the secondary. McCurry had yet another pick.

Shaker penetrated Solon's 20-yard line twice. Yet one got the feeling that they wouldn't score against the Comet D and sure enough, Solon turned the Raiders away both times.

Shaker's lone score came on the long runback of a fumble recovery in the third quarter.

This was one ugly, painful game to watch and it didn't end until 9:45. I wish the Comets had executed better on offense. I also wish the offense had played with more urgency. It sure didn't seem as if scoring was a life-and-death matter in the second half.

I hope the offense looks better next week at Medina. I want to see Solon execute like a playoff team. At times, the offense sputters like it's in early-season mode. C'mon guys!! Let's pick it up!! The playoffs are looming.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-22-18 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 10:02 PM
All Yappi

Solon gained 236 yards Friday night; 150 on the ground. How you can accurately count total yards around all the penalty yardage, I just don't know. Then again, I wasn't a math major, for obvious reasons.

Shaker gained 201 yards but never got much closer than the Solon 20 yard line all night.

Khalil Eichelberger led Solon with 96 rushing yards on 16 carries. Patrick McQuaide completed six of 13 passes for 86 yards and two scores. Solon completed just one pass in the second half for four yards, as the offense went into hibernation.

Nate Miller and Jeff Barnett led Solon with 13 tackles. Nate Leskovec had eight tackles for loss.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-21-18 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-21-18, 10:22 PM
All Yappi

Solon travels to Medina Friday for a big game with a dangerous bunch of Bees. Medina is only 4-5 but racked up early-season victories over Cleveland Heights and Medina Highland. That's Highland's only loss in 2018. Medina led Heights 43-0 en route to a 43-20 romp. Heights is 7-2 and will clinch a playoff berth with a win Friday. The Bees are a high-scoring team, tallying 51 against Elyria and 33 over Shaker. But Medina gives up a lot of points against the better teams they play, including 28 to Wadsworth, 49 to Mentor, 37 to Euclid, 33 to Shaker and 31 to Strongsville.

Solon leads the all-time series 11-2. One of those defeats was last year's 38-28 debacle. It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Solon defense. I'm sure the Comets will be motivated to avenge last year's loss.

The Comets have plenty to play for. A win gives Solon a share of the GCC title. Solon currently sits in a three-way tie for first with Mentor and Euclid. All three are 5-1 in league play. Solon would also clinch a home game in round 1 of the Division 1 state playoffs. The Comets have already clinched a spot in the playoffs. But a win gives Solon the second spot in Region 1 (third, if Canton McKinley beats Massillon). Austintown-Fitch and St. Ignatius are the likeliest possible playoff opponents, at least the way things stand entering Week 10.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-21-18 at 11:05 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 08:03 AM
Freshman

(OH)BWJACKETS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
Solon travels to Medina Friday for a big game with a dangerous bunch of Bees. Medina is only 4-5 but racked up early-season victories over Cleveland Heights and Medina Highland. That's Highland's only loss in 2018. Medina led Heights 43-0 en route to a 43-20 romp. Heights is 7-2 and will clinch a playoff berth with a win Friday. The Bees are a high-scoring team, tallying 51 against Elyria and 33 over Shaker. But Medina gives up a lot of points against the better teams they play, including 28 to Wadsworth, 49 to Mentor, 37 to Euclid, 33 to Shaker and 31 to Strongsville.

Solon leads the all-time series 11-2. One of those defeats was last year's 38-28 debacle. It was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a Solon defense. I'm sure the Comets will be motivated to avenge last year's loss.

The Comets have plenty to play for. A win gives Solon a share of the GCC title. Solon currently sits in a three-way tie for first with Mentor and Euclid. All three are 5-1 in league play. Solon would also clinch a home game in round 1 of the Division 1 state playoffs. The Comets have already clinched a spot in the playoffs. But a win gives Solon the second spot in Region 1 (third, if Canton McKinley beats Massillon). Austintown-Fitch and St. Ignatius are the likeliest possible playoff opponents, at least the way things stand entering Week 10.
Trying to find the silver lining in the poor performance which was observed last week, there's a path forward over week's 10 and 11 that I think could really propel the Comets forward in the playoffs. Week 10 against Medina, as Meta pointed out the Bees are a dangerous team with a good offense and a suspect defense - that is exactly the kind of team that's going to allow Solon to sharpen their edge heading into the playoffs, giving the defense a quality offensive unit to go against rather than a unit that's just going to roll over, and defensively they're going to give us a chance to focus on execution which has been only okay throughout the regular season.

I'd prefer that we get Ignatius in Week 11 - they're not at the same level that Mentor is when the Cardinals have Kipp under center, but they're still a sound defensive team capable of beating anybody on the right day and a win against a perennial power like that in past years has typically been a harbinger of some pretty strong follow-up performances. It isn't going to help us if we take out a weaker opponent that doesn't prepare us for the absolute toughest teams in the region which are going to have to be beaten at some point in order to advance.

Hopefully, the players and coaches are gearing up for a run carrying the message "it starts this Friday".
Old 10-24-18, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
https://www.fantastic50.net/team024.html

Pasteur makes Fitch (54%) Solon's most likely first round opponent. It would be a potential 2/7 matchup. About a 35-40% chance Solon plays the Holy War loser. McKinley and Euclid make up the other percentages.
Old 10-26-18, 09:53 PM
All Region

Ugh

What an egg tonight...
End of the season flameout...
Old 10-26-18, 10:00 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Now be nice, people get pissed at you.
Old 10-26-18, 10:05 PM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Solon losing just makes no sense.
Old 10-26-18, 10:09 PM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Solon beat Mentor, but now cannot even win a share of the GCC
Old 10-26-18, 10:25 PM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I'm not sure why anybody is shocked. Remember last year? Remember 2016 when Medina fell in a 50-43 shootout? Medina is not a bad team and obviously this group of seniors knew they could play with Solon. What's not making sense?
Old 10-27-18, 12:40 AM
All Yappi

Solon had a potential victory over Medina tonight right there for the taking. All the Comets had to do was to grab that opportunity and hold on. Instead, Solon was passive when taking charge was necessary. The Comets failed to boldly chase victory; they played not to lose rather than playing to win. But when you play not to lose, you never win. Medina played to win. The Bees were the aggressive team at crunch time and they emerged with a 27-24 win. Solon's cautious play cost the Comets a share of the GCC title and a home game in the first round of the playoffs. Who will the Comets play? At this point, I'm afraid to even think about it. Does Solon look like a team that's ready to win in the playoffs?

Medina scored the winning TD with just under two minutes to play on a pass to their WR, #15. That same receiver had eight or nine catches for well over 100 yards. He caught two TD passes. Everything he caught was right on the sideline, and he spent the whole game beating the same Solon cornerback. Medina is as one-dimensional as can be. The Bees play five wideouts with an empty backfield. Medina hardly ever runs the ball. The Comets kept chasing the QB. They hit him on every attempt and sacked him 5-6 times. But whenever Medina needed a big play, they kept going to the same receiver and the Comets never could stop it.

Solon overcame an early 14-0 deficit. The Comets led, 17-14 at the half. Solon was successful mixing things up on offense. RB Khalil Eichelberger paced a productive ground game. QB Patrick McQuaide played perhaps his best game, finding several different receivers open on short and intermediate routes. Solon moved the ball successfully.

But as the game wore on, the Comets stopped attacking the Medina defense downfield. When Solon reached the red zone, they got conservative. The Comets stopped throwing the ball downfield. They attacked the flanks instead of attacking the middle of the field. They used WR Trevon Raphael as a wildcat QB. But they'd have been better served sending him out on pass routes where he could use his height and talent to create mismatches.

The by-product of Solon's red zone conservatism was four field goal attempts when TDs were needed to pull out a close game. The Comets made a FG at the end of the first half, then tried three in the second half: All misses. Solon failed to score an offensive TD in the second half against a Bees' defense that was giving up over 30 points per game. Solon's only second-half score came on RJ Howard's pick six.

So Solon had chance after chance to put Medina away in the second half, but was content to play for FGs instead of TDs, and the FGs were missed. Just like every other game this year, penalties contributed to the offense's shortcomings. Third and one became third and six. Second and eight became second and 18. And the Comets weren't real urgent about overcoming those penalties. Instead, they ran safe plays, then missed FGs.

And that's the story of Solon's defeat, folks.

Last edited by Metacomet; 10-27-18 at 01:06 AM.
Old 10-27-18, 12:45 AM
All Yappi

Right now, I don't even care who Solon faces in the playoffs. I don't have a good feeling about any potential matchup.
Old 10-27-18, 12:56 AM
All American

Maple Stang is on a distinguished road
Hope to enjoy the rest of this season...... cupboard gets really bare. Best of luck Comets!!!
Old 10-27-18, 01:06 AM
All American

SVillegrad
Quote:
Solon had a potential victory over Medina tonight right there for the taking. All the Comets had to do was to grab that opportunity and hold on. Instead, Solon was passive when taking charge was necessary. The Comets failed to boldly chase victory; they played not to lose rather than playing to win. But when you play not to lose, you never win. Medina played to win. The Bees were the aggressive team at crunch time and they emerged with a 27-24 win. Solon's cautious play cost the Comets a share of the GCC title and a home game in the first round of the playoffs. Who will the Comets play? At this point, I'm afraid to even think about it. Does Solon look like a team that's ready to win in the playoffs?

Medina scored the winning TD with just under two minutes to play on a pass to their WR, #15. That same receiver had eight or nine catches for well over 100 yards. He caught two TD passes. Everything he caught was right on the sideline, and he spent the whole game beating the same Solon cornerback. Medina is as one-dimensional as can be. The Bees play five wideouts with an empty backfield. Medina hardly ever runs the ball. The Comets kept chasing the QB. They hit him on every attempt and sacked him 5-6 times. But whenever Medina needed a big play, they kept going to the same receiver and the Comets never could stop it.

Solon overcame an early 14-0 deficit. The Comets led, 17-14 at the half. Solon was successful mixing things up on offense. RB Khalil Eichelber paced a productive ground game. QB Patrick McQuaide played perhaps his best game, finding several different receivers open on short and intermediate routes. Solon moved the ball successfully.

But as the game wore on, the Comets stopped attacking the Medina defense downfield. When Solon reached the red zone, they got conservative. The Comets stopped throwing the ball downfield. They attacked the flanks instead of attacking the middle of the field. They used WR Trevon Raphael as a wildcat QB. But they'd have been better served sending him out on pass routes where he could use his height and talent to create mismatches.

The by-product of Solon's red zone conservatism was four field goal attempts when TDs were needed to pull out a close game. The Comets made a FG at the end of the first half, then tried three in the second half: All misses. Solon failed to score an offensive TD in the second half against a Bees' defense that was giving up over 30 points per game. Solon's only second-half score came on RJ Howard's pick six.

So Solon had chance after chance to put Medina away in the second half, but was content to play for FGs instead of TDs, and the FGs were missed. Just like every other game this year, penalties contributed to the offense's shortcomings. Third and one became third and six. Second and eight became second and 18. And the Comets weren't real urgent about overcoming those penalties. Instead, they ran safe plays, then missed FGs.

And that's the story of Solon's defeat, folks.
Meta,

I say this with respect. I know it's hard to take but it's not gonna get any easier against Medina. The Bees have won two in a row in this matchup and the best is still to come for Medina.
Old 10-27-18, 01:14 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVillegrad View Post
Meta,

I say this with respect. I know it's hard to take but it's not gonna get any easier against Medina. The Bees have won two in a row in this matchup and the best is still to come for Medina.
They are loaded
Old 10-27-18, 01:14 AM
All American

have to hope mckinley loses to possibly salvage a home game
could be euclid again...at euclid
Old 10-27-18, 02:22 AM
All District

FightingCardinal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Solon's cautious play cost the Comets a share of the GCC title and a home game in the first round of the playoffs. Who will the Comets play? At this point, I'm afraid to even think about it. Does Solon look like a team that's ready to win in the playoffs?
If McKinley loses, as expected, Solon would likely host them in round 1
Old 10-27-18, 07:50 AM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
What a terrible showing last night. I'm pretty much at a loss for words, so am going to stick with a point-by-point construction of my thoughts on the heels of last nights debacle.

1) This is what I've come to expect from Solon's program under McQuaide - they're undisciplined, which is why they've had such a manic season in which one week they beat Mentor and the next they lose to Medina. It's an every-year occurrence that will hold the program back from reaching higher goals until they fix it, and after 15 years its fair to question whether or not the current man in charge is even capable of fixing it.

2) The passive play-calling is another thing that holds the team back every year. McQuaide is such a risk-averse play-caller, my younger brother was a team captain for Solon from a few years ago and when he saw how Solon had beaten Mentor a few weeks ago on the two-point conversion in OT, his first and only response was that "there's no way that McQuaide was the one who made that call (to go for it in OT)".

3) It's hard to be positive, or optimistic about Solon's chances in the playoffs, after a loss like last night. It wasn't that they lost, but rather how they lost (unprepared, passive, undisciplined) and with everything that was at stake (share of the conference championship, playoff positioning and possibly a home game in Week 11). How was this team so unprepared for that type of game? Flat out, that's an indictment of the coaching staff, particularly when your biggest rival (Mentor) has used huge wins against your school as a springboard to state finals appearances as recently as last year.

With all that said, any momentum that might have been capable of being built off of that win has now been flushed down the toilet, along with the conference championship. Congratulations to all involved on wetting the bed.
Old 10-27-18, 08:41 AM
Success is Tradition!

just a fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightingCardinal View Post
If McKinley loses, as expected, Solon would likely host them in round 1
Don't see a scenario where McKinley would travel to Solon.

If McKinley wins today, they will move up to #2. If they lose, they will drop to #5 and travel to Euclid....unless if Euclid also loses then McKinley would be the #4 seed.

My guess is that Solon will host Fitch. But, wins by Euclid and Buchtel today would likely move St. Edward into the #6 spot.
Old 10-27-18, 08:58 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by just a fan View Post
Don't see a scenario where McKinley would travel to Solon.

If McKinley wins today, they will move up to #2. If they lose, they will drop to #5 and travel to Euclid....unless if Euclid also loses then McKinley would be the #4 seed.

My guess is that Solon will host Fitch. But, wins by Euclid and Buchtel today would likely move St. Edward into the #6 spot.
Euclid's minimum if they win today is 29.790. They would pass Solon and an 8-2 McKinley. Euclid would be the 3 seed (29.79), Solon would drop to the 4 seed (28.85), and McKinley (27.7-28.2) would be the 5 seed (if they lose today). McKinley would be travelling to Solon. If they win today, McKinley's reward is a home game against the 7 seed, St Eds.

What do you see that I don't?

For Solon's perspective: if McKinley loses, the Comets host the Pups. If McKinley wins, Solon travels to Euclid.
Old 11-03-18, 12:10 AM
All Yappi

Solon's season came to an inglorious end with tonight's 28-15 loss to Canton McKinley in the first round of the playoffs. The Comets did not go down giving it their best. Rather, Solon was plagued by the same problems that defined its maddeningly inconsistent season: Penalties, shoddy offensive line play, penalties, poor placekicking, penalties, shaky quarterbacking, penalties, key players sitting out, penalties, defensive breakdowns at inopportune times, penalties, questionable play-calling decisions, penalties, inability to generate big plays, and penalties.

I knew Solon was in trouble when the starting offense took the field and Trevon Raphael remained on the sideline. Apparently, he'd skipped practice all week. When your lone big play specialist is on the sideline against an opponent that scores 30-plus points per game, that's a problem.

McKinley scored early. The Pups attacked the same weak spot in Solon's secondary that Medina did the week before.

Solon got a drive going late in the first quarter, mixing runs and passes. QB Patrick McQuaide looked sharp finding receivers open underneath McKinley's zone D. RB Khalil Eichelberger scored from a yard out and McQuaide ran in the two point conversion to put Solon ahead, 8-7.

Solon outplayed McKinley for much of the second quarter. The Comets continued to move the ball in the middle of the field. Solon had a chance to extend the lead but their drive stalled inside the 20 and a field goal try missed the mark.

Just when it looked as if the Comets would take a lead into halftime, the Pups got a drive going, converting a third down because of a Solon penalty and scored a TD with just over a minute remaining in the half. Solon then drove into McK territory but the half ended before they could really threaten.

McKinley got the ball to start the second half. Solon's D stuffed the Pups deep inside their own territory, then forced a bad punt. The Comets appeared to have all the momentum. But Nate Leskovec was called for roughing the punter. It's a shame that Solon's best player could make such a costly mistake. Given the second chance, McK drove through Solon's defense without resistance. The Pups soon scored to make it 21-8, and that was basically the ballgame. Solon just didn't have the offensive firepower to mount a comeback.

Here's how frustrating it got for Solon: In the fourth quarter, with the score 28-8, Solon got a drive going and got inside the McK 10 yard line. It was first and goal. Four plays later, the Comets failed to advance but McK bailed out Solon with an interference penalty. That gave Solon first and goal from the five. Four incompletions later, the Comets turned the ball over on downs. Solon had eight plays inside the 10 and only reached the five because of a penalty.

The next time Solon got the ball, the Comets finally inserted Jeff Barnett, the hero of the Mentor game, into the offense at tailback. Barnett, who averages 9.5 yards per carry, hadn't gotten an attempt since Mentor. But he gave the offense a charge that it could have used in the first half. Barnett got Solon in the red zone and he finally scored to cut Solon's deficit to 28-15. But by this point, only two minutes remained in the game. Solon was out of time and out of miracles.

This was an incredibly disappointing performance. The Comets looked lethargic, demoralized, unorganized and confused. The lack of discipline in the form of penalties would have been appalling if it hadn't been such a commonplace occurrence all season. To display such bad form in a playoff atmosphere is demoralizing to anyone who supports Solon football. Fans began leaving in the third period. Everyone knew the Comets didn't have what it took to mount a comeback.

I don't know where Solon goes from here. Everyone knows the coach will be here for as long as he wants. But the problems that have affected this program for years, like penalties and retaining players in the program, are getting worse and threatening to tear the football program apart. From what I hear, numbers in the lower levels of the program are appallingly low, and every lower level Solon team had a losing record.

This frustrating 8-3 season might be the best Solon has to offer for a long, long time.

I just want to say congratulations to McKinley. They're a good team, though Solon did everything they could to contribute to the Pups' victory tonight.

Last edited by Metacomet; 11-03-18 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-03-18, 12:45 PM
All District

Thunderstruck2652 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know where Solon goes from here. Everyone knows the coach will be here for as long as he wants. But the problems that have affected this program for years, like penalties and retaining players in the program, are getting worse and threatening to tear the football program apart. From what I hear, numbers in the lower levels of the program are appallingly low, and every lower level Solon team had a losing record.

This frustrating 8-3 season might be the best Solon has to offer for a long, long time.
It's the classic case of "you reap what you sow". As you stated, the issues within the program have been going on for years now, and the tone-deafness with regards to addressing said issues has taken its toll. Football is a demanding team sport not meant to be played by kids or coaches who aren't fully invested - kids aren't going to put their bodies on the line (nor will their parents let their kids play football) for a school that's not all-in on achieving team success at the highest level. Instead, they'll play other sports, or if they're dead-set on playing football then they'll do so at another school with players and coaches who have the same high level of investment that they do.

At the heart of the problem, the head coach has failed to correct ongoing systemic issues within his program and the school's failure to acknowledge that there's a need for improvement is being read by the kids and their parents as a tacit acceptance of the current mediocre state of the program. Without saying it out loud, the message being delivered by the school is that "we're okay with running a commercialized football program that is a money generator, and we're okay with the status quo as long as we win more games than we lose at least every other year. If we do better than that then great, but at the end of the day we're not going to hold anybody to a higher standard than that."

With that kind of approach, it's not surprising that the football program has lost its way the way that it has in recent years. They're practically begging to lose kids to other sports and schools. Meta, I agree with you that if we don't see a course change very quickly then things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. Just down the road in Akron, it isn't any accident that Hoban has rattled off three straight state championships - it was a focused and well-organized plan that was put into action that made that kind of success possible. For Solon to run the same stale modus operandi out year after year and have any expectation of stumbling onto high-level success, they deserve what they get.

In closing out my commentary on the 2018 Solon Comets Football season, I can't call the year a total failure given that the team finished 8-2 in the regular season and beat a great Mentor Cardinals football team, however the way that it ended should be bitterly disappointing for the school given that they choked away a share of the conference title against Medina due to poor preparation and were one-and-done in the playoffs when after showing a few weeks earlier against Mentor that they were capable of a lot more than what they accomplished.

Last edited by Thunderstruck2652; 11-03-18 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-03-18, 05:45 PM
All Ohio

Mr. Red Raider is on a distinguished road
Meta,

What were the final records of the JV and freshman teams for Solon football? Are there any notable kids that did well on the JV team or any returning varsity guys that could make an impact?
Old 11-03-18, 07:46 PM
All Region

Ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstruck2652 View Post
It's the classic case of "you reap what you sow". As you stated, the issues within the program have been going on for years now, and the tone-deafness with regards to addressing said issues has taken its toll. Football is a demanding team sport not meant to be played by kids or coaches who aren't fully invested - kids aren't going to put their bodies on the line (nor will their parents let their kids play football) for a school that's not all-in on achieving team success at the highest level. Instead, they'll play other sports, or if they're dead-set on playing football then they'll do so at another school with players and coaches who have the same high level of investment that they do.

At the heart of the problem, the head coach has failed to correct ongoing systemic issues within his program and the school's failure to acknowledge that there's a need for improvement is being read by the kids and their parents as a tacit acceptance of the current mediocre state of the program. Without saying it out loud, the message being delivered by the school is that "we're okay with running a commercialized football program that is a money generator, and we're okay with the status quo as long as we win more games than we lose at least every other year. If we do better than that then great, but at the end of the day we're not going to hold anybody to a higher standard than that."

With that kind of approach, it's not surprising that the football program has lost its way the way that it has in recent years. They're practically begging to lose kids to other sports and schools. Meta, I agree with you that if we don't see a course change very quickly then things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. Just down the road in Akron, it isn't any accident that Hoban has rattled off three straight state championships - it was a focused and well-organized plan that was put into action that made that kind of success possible. For Solon to run the same stale modus operandi out year after year and have any expectation of stumbling onto high-level success, they deserve what they get.

In closing out my commentary on the 2018 Solon Comets Football season, I can't call the year a total failure given that the team finished 8-2 in the regular season and beat a great Mentor Cardinals football team, however the way that it ended should be bitterly disappointing for the school given that they choked away a share of the conference title against Medina due to poor preparation and were one-and-done in the playoffs when after showing a few weeks earlier against Mentor that they were capable of a lot more than what they accomplished.

Yep..the cupboard is bare...