Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-18-18, 05:33 AM
All District

claynation is on a distinguished road
What happened with the Hudson boys 4x800m?

Can anyone who was at the meet describe what transpired and whether the DQ was a good call?
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-18, 04:42 PM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
I, spoke with a coach who was there. It got real close at the finish line. The other runner went down and the Ref called interference. Most of the coaches felt he just went down diving for the finish.
Old 05-21-18, 06:09 PM
All District

Go to 18:40 to see why the Hudson 4x800 got DQed.

Bad call IMO.
Old 05-21-18, 06:26 PM
All American

mathking is on a distinguished road
Was it definitely for the finish line, or was it for the move coming off the turn? The Hudson runner seemed to be pushing out for most of the last straight. Not saying I would have called it, but I am honest enough to admit that I would have been a little mad if it had happened to my runner.
Old 05-21-18, 06:40 PM
All District

It was at the finish line.
Old 05-21-18, 06:50 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
It looks like the Hudson kid drifts into the Brecksville kid a few strides before the line. That could be the issue, and the officials may have felt that it led to the Brecksville kid going down since it caused his legs to fall behind the rest of his body. Tough call that I could go either way on, but it appears that an advantage was gained by Hudson as a result of the contact.
Old 05-21-18, 08:10 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
It would be great to get an official statement regarding the DQ.

Coming into the straight, the Hudson runner is clearly in lane 1 and the Brecksville runner is clearly in lane 2. Within a few strides of being on the straight the Hudson runner has moved out to lane 2. By the finish line the Hudson runner was on the line between lane 2 and lane 3.

There would be no reason whatsoever for the Hudson runner in lane 1 to move almost out to lane 3 for any reason other than to impede the progress of the Brecksville runner.

If that was the judgement of the officials, I can find little fault with the decision.

This was not accidental and was completely avoidable.

Once again, however, the consequences are extremely harsh - there is no 5 or 10 yd penalty or foul shots for those harmed. Officials are left only with a choice of ignoring the foul or ejecting the competitor. I don't have the answer, but it seems like we need penalties that are more proportional to the offense.

Officials did the right thing here, but they need more flexibility in imposing consequences.
Old 05-21-18, 08:26 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by madman View Post
It would be great to get an official statement regarding the DQ.

Coming into the straight, the Hudson runner is clearly in lane 1 and the Brecksville runner is clearly in lane 2. Within a few strides of being on the straight the Hudson runner has moved out to lane 2. By the finish line the Hudson runner was on the line between lane 2 and lane 3.

There would be no reason whatsoever for the Hudson runner in lane 1 to move almost out to lane 3 for any reason other than to impede the progress of the Brecksville runner.

If that was the judgement of the officials, I can find little fault with the decision.

This was not accidental and was completely avoidable.

Once again, however, the consequences are extremely harsh - there is no 5 or 10 yd penalty or foul shots for those harmed. Officials are left only with a choice of ignoring the foul or ejecting the competitor. I don't have the answer, but it seems like we need penalties that are more proportional to the offense.

Officials did the right thing here, but they need more flexibility in imposing consequences.
Given how far ahead of the rest of the field they were and the juncture of the race where the infraction occurred, the appropriate penalty here would be to award 1st place to Brecksville and 2nd place to Hudson, but as you alluded to, the officials can only work with the rules we currently have.
Old 05-23-18, 09:40 PM
Freshman

RunnerAdespota is on a distinguished road
http://oh.milesplit.com/articles/241...-nordonia-meet

Milesplit posted a video with their article about it

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk