Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Debate Forum

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-14-14, 01:46 PM
Cooling Off

Slide-by is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Bush gutted the OT in the 04' bill????
Before 04' To be exempt from overtime, workers must be paid a set salary, not an hourly wage. This has long been the rule under federal overtime law. Bush did not change that.

The second criteria before 04' called the "salary-level" test, was amended. In order to be exempt from overtime, the after 04' rules require that employees earn a minimum salary of $455 a week, or $23,660 a year. Before it was a minimum salary of $155 a week, or $8,060 a year.

What he did do: White-collar employees who earn more than $100,000 a year were automatically exempt from overtime pay, that wasn't the case before.

I never understood why some made the claim that Bush gutted the OT rules.
I've been a salaried supervisor at two companies. I was never paid OT, because I was salaried. Did I work more hours? Well, a few. But, hard for me to work without the crews working really. Not to mention, I had company trucks, fuel was paid, and I had other perks hourly guys didn't. Obama obviously has never actually worked for a living. He's lost, almost child like in his naive approach to the world. Idiot.
Old 03-14-14, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

SWMCinci is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by noonereal View Post
Here is a challenge to all those who think the poor are lazy. Increase what you pay your minimum wage employee to $25 dollars an hours and watch what happens.

It's about opportunity. All of us are pretty much the same and a roofer is generally just as ready to run a small company if the opportunity is given.
Why would I pay someone $25/hour that can be replaced by a HS dropout? I do however give raises when experience and education count on the work done for me personally. I've never met a roofer that could manage a multi-billion dollar division of a technology company.
Old 03-14-14, 03:22 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Termite2 View Post
Bush gutted the OT in the 04' bill????
Before 04' To be exempt from overtime, workers must be paid a set salary, not an hourly wage. This has long been the rule under federal overtime law. Bush did not change that.

The second criteria before 04' called the "salary-level" test, was amended. In order to be exempt from overtime, the after 04' rules require that employees earn a minimum salary of $455 a week, or $23,660 a year. Before it was a minimum salary of $155 a week, or $8,060 a year.

What he did do: White-collar employees who earn more than $100,000 a year were automatically exempt from overtime pay, that wasn't the case before.

I never understood why some made the claim that Bush gutted the OT rules.
I've been a salaried employee for 30+ years, average about 45-50 hours a week and have never worried about overtime. I also don't worry about walking out of the office during the week to play golf, or start the weekend early, my employer has never cared about that either. I'm paid to get the job done, and traded my time for the money to provide for my family, and the 3-4 families that the government forces me to carry their butts through life.
Old 03-14-14, 07:22 PM
All World

noonereal is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMCinci View Post
Why would I pay someone $25/hour that can be replaced by a HS dropout?.
So that you could learn.
Old 03-14-14, 07:24 PM
All World

Quote:
I've been a salaried employee for 30+ years, average about 45-50 hours a week and have never worried about overtime. I also don't worry about walking out of the office during the week to play golf, or start the weekend early, my employer has never cared about that either. I'm paid to get the job done, and traded my time for the money to provide for my family, and the 3-4 families that the government forces me to carry their butts through life.
You are full of cra%.

You manage a McDonalds.
Old 03-14-14, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You are full of cra%.

You manage a McDonalds.
C'mon noonereal, you don't believe the 2% or whatever of his paycheck that goes to the poor can "carry 3-4 families thru life"? Lol.

At this point I would be tempted to pay it for him if he agreed to quit crying about it.
Old 03-15-14, 03:03 AM
All American

FairwoodKing is on a distinguished road
So Obama is "trampling" on the Constitution by forcing companies to pay their employees a fair wage for the work they do? Isn't that too damn bad! There is a reason why a regular work week is 40 hours. Anything beyond that without extra compensation is slavery.

I have been a manager for much of my professional career and I must admit that I am very anti-union, even when I had to belong to one (as a school teacher). But I swear on my parents' graves that I have always treated my employees fairly and have given them everything they deserved. My conscience is clear. Too bad so many other executives can't say the same.
Old 03-15-14, 07:39 AM
All Yappi

Obama is trampling on the Constitution because it was never intended to give a President the authority to do what he has been doing. The Democrats are blocking Congressional action to reign him in, the ultimate party of 'no'. I'm sure that they will cry like a disgraced televangelist when the next President sweeps Obamascam under the rug with a stroke of the pen and a phone call. The Democrats have set up a monarchy through their own inactivity and blocking of meaningful legislation.

Forcing people to give up a portion of their income and give it to people that did nothing to earn it is theft at best, or slavery if you like that comparison.

In 45+ years of work, from being a dishwasher, roofer, soldier, engineer, manager, executive - I have NEVER known any person to take advantage of employees. Those people that went above and beyond the job, whether putting in the extra hours, being more efficient than others, learning new ways to perform their duties or suggesting new ways fro them to be done - were rewarded with bonuses, promotions, extra time off, etc.

I am sure it happens, but the vast majority of people on this planet are decent and hardworking individuals, whether employees, managers, executives, or investors. Almost everyone can sleep with a clear conscience, except maybe those that take the labors of others through the force of government.
Old 03-15-14, 07:48 AM
Cooling Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairwoodKing View Post
So Obama is "trampling" on the Constitution by forcing companies to pay their employees a fair wage for the work they do? Isn't that too damn bad! There is a reason why a regular work week is 40 hours. Anything beyond that without extra compensation is slavery.

I have been a manager for much of my professional career and I must admit that I am very anti-union, even when I had to belong to one (as a school teacher). But I swear on my parents' graves that I have always treated my employees fairly and have given them everything they deserved. My conscience is clear. Too bad so many other executives can't say the same.
You guys are goofy. Please show me in the Constitution where 40 hours is the set work week. And it's called AT WILL EMPLOYMENT for a reason. AND... if you were a manager then you know that salaried positions come with perks beyond the paycheck. Such as job security. And in the construction field, such as I was, it meant I drew a check all winter even if I barely worked a half week, while the hourly guys were at home subsisting on unemployment. You guys need to get out of the fantasy world your leader has you immersed in and be real about things.

Example. My wife has a woman in her office that is paid salary. She is part time, and her hours are from 12 noon to 6 pm. Because of her kid's daycare schedule, she has stretched her show up time to around 1 pm. Sometimes later. Now, she has taken to leaving at 430 and returning at 515 or so WITH HER DAMN KID. She works the rest of her shift, not a minute later, and leaves. Do you think She would be so flippant about her hours if she had to clock in and out and was paid as such? I'd fire her butt in a minute as this has caused problems before. What would you do? Blame the daycare for not being accomidating, even though there are others she just doesn't want to pay more for? Should my wife continue to be irritated, or fire her and go through the very costly expense and task of finding someone else and training them?

Salary has it's benefits, there's no denying it. And when you start playing hardball with the boss, you'll quickly find out where actually rank on the Totam pole. Not to mention, higher costs WILL be passed on to you and I, and companies WILL cut employees or just adjust their pay structure/positions/titles to maintain. This is all just a another idealogilical BS sessession of the Left's big war against the wealthy. What a joke.
Old 03-15-14, 07:51 AM
All Ohio

creek44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Forcing people to give up a portion of their income and give it to people that did nothing to earn it is theft at best, or slavery if you like that comparison.
That's exactly right, and it's exactly what happens when us middle class and poor folks pay higher tax rates for our wages, than the rich do with their "carried interest" rates on investments. Rich guys don't bother with "wages". Rich guys don't bother sending their sons and daughters off to war either.

One huge cash flow and blood trail from the poor to the rich.
Old 03-15-14, 09:50 AM
All American

FairwoodKing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide-by View Post
You guys are goofy. Please show me in the Constitution where 40 hours is the set work week. And it's called AT WILL EMPLOYMENT for a reason. AND... if you were a manager then you know that salaried positions come with perks beyond the paycheck. Such as job security. And in the construction field, such as I was, it meant I drew a check all winter even if I barely worked a half week, while the hourly guys were at home subsisting on unemployment. You guys need to get out of the fantasy world your leader has you immersed in and be real about things.

Example. My wife has a woman in her office that is paid salary. She is part time, and her hours are from 12 noon to 6 pm. Because of her kid's daycare schedule, she has stretched her show up time to around 1 pm. Sometimes later. Now, she has taken to leaving at 430 and returning at 515 or so WITH HER DAMN KID. She works the rest of her shift, not a minute later, and leaves. Do you think She would be so flippant about her hours if she had to clock in and out and was paid as such? I'd fire her butt in a minute as this has caused problems before. What would you do? Blame the daycare for not being accomidating, even though there are others she just doesn't want to pay more for? Should my wife continue to be irritated, or fire her and go through the very costly expense and task of finding someone else and training them?

Salary has it's benefits, there's no denying it. And when you start playing hardball with the boss, you'll quickly find out where actually rank on the Totam pole. Not to mention, higher costs WILL be passed on to you and I, and companies WILL cut employees or just adjust their pay structure/positions/titles to maintain. This is all just a another idealogilical BS sessession of the Left's big war against the wealthy. What a joke.
This thread is so outrageous that I don't know where to start. There is nothing in the Constitution that limits a work week to 40 hours, but I believe there are labor laws that do just that.

<>

My best employees found out where all of us ranked on the Totem pole. I was at the top and the rest very close. It was my job to hire dozens of international people who were highly intelligent and highly trained to do the translation and localization work I needed from them. I rarely had problems with my staff because I screened them very carefully before I hired them. One of them, a delightful lady from Puerto Rico, even car polled with me. It gave me a great chance to practice my Spanish.

During the offer process, everyone asked me the same question: What do you pay? I answered their question by saying, "How much do you want?" No matter what it was, I gave it to them. My car mate was actually the one who wanted the most, and I gladly gave it to her because she was worth every penny. I would have given her more (as well as the rest) if she had asked for it. It's not that I had a huge budget, but I had the company by the balls. Any product they wanted to sell internationally had to go through me, and I made a lot of problems. Mercifully, the company had a corporate takeover in 2004 and my department was eliminated. I don't know who was happier-- my bosses or me. They gave me a good severance and a letter of recommendation, so I didn't leave there empty-handed. I was so relieved to get out of that nuthouse.

I had quite a shock this evening when I was watching a rerun of "Diagnosis Murder" with Dick van Dyke. At one point they showed a closeup of a hospital monitor. For the love of Jesus, I helped make the damn thing! It was a Spacelabs monitor and I wrote the technical manuals for it. Will Spacelabs ever stop haunting me???
Old 03-15-14, 09:50 AM
All American

Con_Alma is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by creek44 View Post
... Rich guys don't bother sending their sons and daughters off to war either.

No one is forced to do this currently.
Old 03-15-14, 12:25 PM
Cooling Off

Quote:
This thread is so outrageous that I don't know where to start. There is nothing in the Constitution that limits a work week to 40 hours, but I believe there are labor laws that do just that.

<>

During the offer process, everyone asked me the same question: What do you pay? I answered their question by saying, "How much do you want?" No matter what it was, I gave it to them. My car mate was actually the one who wanted the most, and I gladly gave it to her because she was worth every penny. I would have given her more (as well as the rest) if she had asked for it. It's not that I had a huge budget, but I had the company by the balls. Any product they wanted to sell internationally had to go through me, and I made a lot of problems. Mercifully, the company had a corporate takeover in 2004 and my department was eliminated. I don't know who was happier-- my bosses or me. They gave me a good severance and a letter of recommendation, so I didn't leave there empty-handed. I was so relieved to get out of that nuthouse.
So, just clarify, you paid people whatever they wanted without costs concerns and viewed your position as having the company "by the balls" obviously "making a lot of problems" as you yourself put it. So when they were bought out the bean counters saw how wasteful and troublesome your department was and eliminated it. Boy, that's one heck of a business model you got going there.
Old 03-15-14, 04:48 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by creek44 View Post
That's exactly right, and it's exactly what happens when us middle class and poor folks pay higher tax rates for our wages, than the rich do with their "carried interest" rates on investments. Rich guys don't bother with "wages". Rich guys don't bother sending their sons and daughters off to war either.

Broken record - It's been demonstrated time after time that this is a lie. The rich pay more in dollars and as a percentage of their income than the middle class and poor. If you are poor your effective income tax rate is zero. Until you make $50K or so your effective tax rate is zero. With deductions and other tax credits people in the 25% bracket average 15% for their income. The wealthy are paying 15% for their interest and dividents and 40% for any salary and bonuses. Very few people are affected by carried interest, I remember that conversation with my accountant very clearly.
Old 03-15-14, 04:52 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPaw View Post
C'mon noonereal, you don't believe the 2% or whatever of his paycheck that goes to the poor can "carry 3-4 families thru life"? Lol.

At this point I would be tempted to pay it for him if he agreed to quit crying about it.
He got his start with a work program, the military, now he wants others to work at WalMart for life. This is so typical.

Does not want others to have the social help he had.
Old 03-15-14, 04:53 PM
All Yappi

Quote:

<>

My best employees found out where all of us ranked on the Totem pole. I was at the top and the rest very close. It was my job to hire dozens of international people who were highly intelligent and highly trained to do the translation and localization work I needed from them. I rarely had problems with my staff because I screened them very carefully before I hired them. One of them, a delightful lady from Puerto Rico, even car polled with me. It gave me a great chance to practice my Spanish.

I had quite a shock this evening when I was watching a rerun of "Diagnosis Murder" with Dick van Dyke. At one point they showed a closeup of a hospital monitor. For the love of Jesus, I helped make the damn thing! It was a Spacelabs monitor and I wrote the technical manuals for it. Will Spacelabs ever stop haunting me???
As a matter of fact, there are no labor laws that limit the work week to 40 hours. None. There are some labor laws that address certain types of workers and how they must be paid, but as far as I remember there is no law that ends a work week at 40. I don't think I know anyone that would want to see a mandate that their work week and at 40 hours. From billionaires to executive staff, everyone I know puts in more than 40.
Old 03-15-14, 04:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Broken record - It's been demonstrated time after time that this is a lie. The rich pay more in dollars and as a percentage of their income than the middle class and poor. If you are poor your effective income tax rate is zero. Until you make $50K or so your effective tax rate is zero. With deductions and other tax credits people in the 25% bracket average 15% for their income. The wealthy are paying 15% for their interest and dividents and 40% for any salary and bonuses. Very few people are affected by carried interest, I remember that conversation with my accountant very clearly.
More BS.

I make out like a fat rat with Fica cap.
Old 03-15-14, 04:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
More BS.

I make out like a fat rat with Fica cap.
I was wrong, the brown note exists and someone played it for nooner....
Old 03-15-14, 04:56 PM
All World

Quote:
As a matter of fact, there are no labor laws that limit the work week to 40 hours. None. There are some labor laws that address certain types of workers and how they must be paid, but as far as I remember there is no law that ends a work week at 40. I don't think I know anyone that would want to see a mandate that their work week and at 40 hours. From billionaires to executive staff, everyone I know puts in more than 40.
and there is just no need for it.

Limit the work week to 35 hours, increase the quality of life and increase the number of employed to fill the hours.
Old 03-15-14, 05:32 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The 40 hour work week comes from overtime laws, which state anything over 40 is paid a minimum of 1.5x the normal rate. Employers will cap at 40 just to avoid OT.
Old 03-15-14, 10:44 PM
All Yappi

TigerPaw is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't think I know anyone that would want to see a mandate that their work week and at 40 hours. From billionaires to executive staff, everyone I know puts in more than 40.
That's odd, because any job I have ever had 90% of executives worked less than hourly, let alone Sats and Suns. I work in manufacturing so frequent periods of 50-60 hour weeks and weekends are common. I guess we have different experiences. Not saying some salary guys are not workaholics, some are. But when I go in on the weekend I might see 1 or 2 others. And we joke about what idiots we are while casually doing paperwork in our jeans or sweats for a few hours til the game comes on while the factory slaves away an 8 hour shift that started 2-3 hours earlier. The supervisors are there of course and maint. but they get paid ot. Holidays forget about it, salary is definitely the exception not the rule.

Btw, our current owner has a home in FL that he spends 1 week/mo. at (he is a boating enthusiast). Good for him, just saying.
Old 03-16-14, 06:27 AM
All American

bob22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
and there is just no need for it.

Limit the work week to 35 hours, increase the quality of life and increase the number of employed to fill the hours.
Yes there is a need for it. I'm a greedy bastard and I love my overtime. 138 hours @ time and a half and 16 hours of double time in the last 7 weeks.

Besides that its cheaper paying overtime than hiring.
Old 03-16-14, 11:11 AM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Quote:

<>

Another bio from FWK, can you ever add something of value to a debate except a commercial?
Old 03-16-14, 12:32 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slide-by View Post

Not true in most areas. Most salaried employees are responsible for attaining goals where they often only have token power to effect and yet it's their head that rolls when they are not met. Upper management never blames itself for failed strategies so low level managers are axed as an appeasement to the non working ivester class who will not tolerate a normal return on their investment.

Salaried employee's in sales for example in also in many union shops make less than those they supervise yet are expected to work more hours. It's good for their ego to be a manager but little else.
Old 03-16-14, 12:35 PM
All World

Quote:

<>

Sounds like you took advantage of the more humble personalities who did not ask for as much.
Old 03-16-14, 12:40 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob22 View Post
Yes there is a need for it. I'm a greedy bastard and I love my overtime. 138 hours @ time and a half and 16 hours of double time in the last 7 weeks.

Besides that its cheaper paying overtime than hiring.
I was once at a graduation and a group of men I did not know where speaking. they were measuring their career success by the amount of OT the received. I found it interesting. Nice folks. Drank a lot.
Old 03-16-14, 12:43 PM
All World

Quote:

Btw, our current owner has a home in FL that he spends 1 week/mo. at (he is a boating enthusiast). Good for him, just saying.

He earned it.
Old 03-16-14, 01:47 PM
All American

FanDad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not true in most areas. Most salaried employees are responsible for attaining goals where they often only have token power to effect and yet it's their head that rolls when they are not met. Upper management never blames itself for failed strategies so low level managers are axed as an appeasement to the non working ivester class who will not tolerate a normal return on their investment.

Salaried employee's in sales for example in also in many union shops make less than those they supervise yet are expected to work more hours. It's good for their ego to be a manager but little else.
I find this to be pretty close to the mark in many situations I have seen.
Old 03-16-14, 08:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
That's odd, because any job I have ever had 90% of executives worked less than hourly, let alone Sats and Suns. I work in manufacturing so frequent periods of 50-60 hour weeks and weekends are common. I guess we have different experiences. Not saying some salary guys are not workaholics, some are. But when I go in on the weekend I might see 1 or 2 others. And we joke about what idiots we are while casually doing paperwork in our jeans or sweats for a few hours til the game comes on while the factory slaves away an 8 hour shift that started 2-3 hours earlier. The supervisors are there of course and maint. but they get paid ot. Holidays forget about it, salary is definitely the exception not the rule.

I tend to work with the 'C' suite and sales and operations. I get emails from our CEO on weekends, late at night, and sometimes at 4am. I've gotten calls from customer executives at night and on weekends to discuss deployment issues or requirements. Our COO has called at midnight to confirm a production change or my availability for a customer meeting if critical to something that they are working on. If I pop a message to our Product Manager, I generally get a response in a few minutes unless he is sleeping and if he is, I'll have a response shortly after he gets up. On any given week, I'll get several emails from the executive team outside of business hours. Our non-managing engineers typically fit into the 40 hour week.

Our CEO has a beach house and when he and his wife are there, I still get emails, updates, and requests maybe on a more infrequent schedule, but he is thinking about work throughout the day.

It's been that way throughout my career, I remember my 1st boss, he was our CFO, and even with me coming in nights and weekends for software updates and testing on a fairly regular basis - he was almost always there. Nights, Saturdays, and Sunday afternoons. Not all the time, but more times than I remember him not being there. I learned a lot in those early years having lunch with him and our CEO on many Saturdays with none of the formality of the work week to interfere with my questions.
Old 03-16-14, 09:30 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
The 40 hour work week comes from overtime laws, which state anything over 40 is paid a minimum of 1.5x the normal rate. Employers will cap at 40 just to avoid OT.
That was the goal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: